NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I take it you are watching the U18 Gold Medal Game right now. Great game for Canada!
McKenna is definitely giving Bedard vibes. Not eligible until the 2026 draft.

Sens will have to put a lot of thought towards which draft (2025 v 2026) they forfeit their 1st round pick. Going to want to keep your lottery ticket for 2026 for McKenna.
2 more years of junior hockey before 2026 Draft ; 3 more years of U20 eligibility

I guess we might have to settle for Hagens next year.

Emery and Beaudoin look like the realistic options for us with Boston's 1st in the 24-26 range.

Big athletic shutdown RD going to ND and a big two-way pro-style center that is from the Ottawa area.

Would be very happy with either guy.

Agree.., If we could land those 2 It would make for a fantastic draft.

Could still get a couple good overagers to stack in Belleville in the 4th

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Boston's pick can change from 26 in two ways,

1. Boston makes the conference finals by beating Florida in Rd 2. If this happens, their pick will be on of the last 4 picks of the round, with the final two going to the SCF teams.

2. Boston does not make the ECF, but a team currently set to draft earlier than them does make it to the conference finals, in which case that teams pick would be one of the final 4 picks pushing teams previous above them down a spot.

So, if Colorado or VGK make the conference finals and Boston does not, for example, Boston's pick would improve.
Thanks Micklebot.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Agree.., If we could land those 2 It would make for a fantastic draft.

Could still get a couple good overagers to stack in Belleville in the 4th

Think we'll be lucky if one of them are available in the late 1st.

Athletic players playing premium positions tend to go higher than expected.

Definitely key that Boston goes out in the 2nd round if we are to have a chance.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Boston's pick can change from 26 in two ways,

1. Boston makes the conference finals by beating Florida in Rd 2. If this happens, their pick will be on of the last 4 picks of the round, with the final two going to the SCF teams.

2. Boston does not make the ECF, but a team currently set to draft earlier than them does make it to the conference finals, in which case that teams pick would be one of the final 4 picks pushing teams previous above them down a spot.

So, if Colorado or VGK make the conference finals and Boston does not, for example, Boston's pick would improve.
Agree and to expand, at this point, Boston’s pick can only improve an additional two slots.

IE:

Florida beats Boston (must happen or the pick drops to 29-32 range), then:

1. Edm makes it to WCF

And/or

2. One of Vegas or Colorado makes it to WCF (both can’t make it due to brackets)

I don’t think anything else can improve the pick, best outcome is pick 24

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Once again, the NHL can go f*** themselves for not even allowing us that option
The Blackhawks scandal is imo considerably worse. No picks lost. Vegas raised a stink as they were within their rights to do.. but .. the NHL makes strange , politically influenced decisions. The Senators are like bottom of the barrel in that regard

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
The Blackhawks scandal is imo considerably worse. No picks lost. Vegas raised a stink as they were within their rights to do.. but .. the NHL makes strange , politically influenced decisions. The Senators are like bottom of the barrel in that regard
The Blackhawks scandal is sooo much worse than the Dadonov situation.
It seems very hypocritical and short sighted in comparison.

The only reasoning that you can come up with is that the Hawks situation didn't directly affect any other NHL team while the Dadonov situation did.

I would agree that there is certainly politics and lends itself to making people wonder if there is something suspicious with the draft lottery. If it was NYR, TML, BOS or any other big market team, would it have been the same penalty??

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
What teams are on the 10 member executive board? I seem to remember that there are some from markets that aren't that big, influential. Might see Andlauer on that board onbthe future. He seems like the kind if guy that others trust to get things done.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
It's just dumb that we lost a pick because Vegas' rep was damaged. It's not our fault that NHL fans decided to be whiny bitches everytime the Golden Knights do anything.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It’s 100% the Sens fault

Penalty might seem to be harsh, but it’s 100% on the Sens.
I think what he's getting at is the NHL considered the matter closed, then VGK complaining got them to reopen the case and digg deeper.

Presumably we (the org that is) were completely at fault, either due to negligence or more nefarious reasons, I don't think anyone debates that, but there is certainly room for debate on what the repercussions should have been, and as others gave said, it's sometimes hard to understand how the NHL decides... Whether it's the Kovalchuk contract, the Hawks scandal, Pinto's suspension or Dorion's incompetence with the Dadonov trade, feels a bit like trying to guess what suspension the DoPS will give out next.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think what he's getting at is the NHL considered the matter closed, then VGK complaining got them to reopen the case and digg deeper.

Presumably we (the org that is) were completely at fault, either due to negligence or more nefarious reasons, I don't think anyone debates that, but there is certainly room for debate on what the repercussions should have been, and as others gave said, it's sometimes hard to understand how the NHL decides... Whether it's the Kovalchuk contract, the Hawks scandal, Pinto's suspension or Dorion's incompetence with the Dadonov trade, feels a bit like trying to guess what suspension the DoPS will give out next.
If it never affected other teams throughout the league a fine would be ok.

It directly affected multiple teams, the player union, and player. It was a pretty cut case of us being dinged hard, I assumed that as soon as the trade was rescinded. f***ing up a trade on a league call with incorrect information is worthy of losing a 1st. We’re lucky they went light in Andlauer and gave him the option to keep this years first because he had nothing to do with it.

Whether it was nefarious, or just stupidity which is what I’d assume, the fallout is definitely warranted, though harsh.

If it is something around league operations (Dadonov/Kovalchuk/Arizona prospects) you’re going to get dinged with picks.

If it’s player/team misconduct, you’re going to get dinged with fines and suspensions.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
At this point, Boston doesn't look like they'll get past round 2, and either way, if the pick does move up, it would only be 1 or 2 slots....from where it is right now, it's not really a big improvement.

And as much as we should go BPA, I do think this is one situation where you have two guys that are 99% equal in team rankings, being a natural RD might just be that extra 1% that tips the scale for us. Seems RD (and centers) are starting to be like quarterbacks...if you get the chance to draft a good one, take it.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Think we'll be lucky if one of them are available in the late 1st.

Athletic players playing premium positions tend to go higher than expected.

Definitely key that Boston goes out in the 2nd round if we are to have a chance.
Wont be an issue. Florida is going to stomp them, after the leafs they're the most overrated team in the nhl.

Reactions: GCK and Bileur

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don’t know about that, Swayman looks excellent
They couldnt generate anything against Toronto you think they will against Florida?... Florida also gets to the middle of the ice and the net this wont be the Toronto perimeter maple leafs coming at them. Boston is going to have to find a completely different gear if they want to be in this series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad