NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Really think Sennecke may be the best option up front at 7, even if Lindstrom, Catton and Iginla are there. I think Demidov would be the better pick, but I don't think that would be in the cards for the Sens.

This isn't a guy who grew a few inches from his CHL draft to NHL draft over a few years, he's gone from 5'11 to 6'4, if you believe what some scouts and publications are saying recently, in the span of a single season. You can see his learning curve from September through to April. A guy with his skill and vision growing legitimately 5 inches from one offseason to the next opens up so much for him moving forward. Guys who grow and progress like him while raising all year almost always work out for the team that selects him. He's basically a winger Mark Schiefle

If they are going for a forward, Sennecke would be who I'd prefer

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Really think Sennecke may be the best option up front at 7, even if Lindstrom, Catton and Iginla are there. I think Demidov would be the better pick, but I don't think that would be in the cards for the Sens.

This isn't a guy who grew a few inches from his CHL draft to NHL draft over a few years, he's gone from 5'11 to 6'4, if you believe what some scouts and publications are saying recently, in the span of a single season. You can see his learning curve from September through to April. A guy with his skill and vision growing legitimately 5 inches from one offseason to the next opens up so much for him moving forward. Guys who grow and progress like him while raising all year almost always work out for the team that selects him. He's basically a winger Mark Schiefle

Sennecke looks good lots to like.. Emerging star. No issues at all taking him there. Lindstrom would be very tempting as well.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

I thought he was 6’2.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

The legend of this growth spurt grows faster than he does. Sennecke himself explains what happened in this interview at the 3:30 mark. He says he ended last season at over 6 foot, and grew two inches and a bit since last summer. He measured 6'2.75 at the combine, per Pronman.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I'd be totally OK with Sennecke for sure. He's reminded me of Scheifele as well.

Outside of Mack and Demidov I'd prefer Lindstrom or Sennecke (dead heat for me) among the forwards. I'm actually leaning towards forwards at the 7 slot and then go for D with 25 and 39.

Reactions: Good in Osgoode

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The legend of this growth spurt grows faster than he does. Sennecke himself explains what happened in this interview at the 3:30 mark. He says he ended last season at over 6 foot, and grew two inches and a bit since last summer. He measured 6'2.75 at the combine, per Pronman.

That was my fault, I misheard the podcast with the talk from scouts and coaches.

They expect him to play at 6'4*

Edit: Went back and listened, McCagg said that the Oshawa coach told him he was 6'4. Obviously just bad intel.

Was the Recruites mock draft where Habs took him 5th, so not exactly the best stream of info

And should be noted, Sennecke is McCagg's guy that he loves every year. It's like Pronman and Yakemchuk. He's extremely, extremely high on him, likely saying things that he wants to hear

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I know it wouldn't be popular but I'd trade back as far as #11 or #12 if it meant adding some more ammo to the cupboards. It would even allow us to trade #25 to fill a hole at RD or in nets.

I think with the group of defencemen available and the emergence of some of the forwards that the Sens can still get one of their top targets (slightly) later.

Reactions: DrEasy and bicboi64

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Iginla would be a perfectly fine pick at 7, not who I personally would take, but that matters none. Young guy with a sharp trajection.

I'm always wary of guys with higher goals-assist numbers, D men even more so, translating that to the NHL is a problem for a very large number of them; but to pretend that it's a written rule and extrapolate from there isn't fair or wise. He doesn't worry me anywhere close to the way guys like Puempel, Gagne, Lazar or Etem did.

He never looked like a top 10 guy at the U-18's to me, but he can put the puck in the net, and comes from a family that can put the puck in the net.
His puck protection and smart physical play are notable though. This video does a good job showing examples of that.

He seems to have a lot of subtle aspects to his game that aren't as flashy but could result in meaningful success at the NHL level. His game seems very conducive to generating offense in playoff style hockey in the NHL. That seems like an important differentiating factor when comparing him to other prospects.

Reactions: Icelevel

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I know it wouldn't be popular but I'd trade back as far as #11 or #12 if it meant adding some more ammo to the cupboards. It would even allow us to trade #25 to fill a hole at RD or in nets.

I think with the group of defencemen available and the emergence of some of the forwards that the Sens can still get one of their top targets (slightly) later.
If it’s guaranteed that the player we’d be taking at 7 will be there at 11 or 12 then go for it.
Not sure how you’d manage that though.
Otherwise if there’s any risk you’re going to miss out on your guy then forget it. We have plenty of other picks and we need QUALITY

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If it’s guaranteed that the player we’d be taking at 7 will be there at 11 or 12 then go for it.
Not sure how you’d manage that though.
Otherwise if there’s any risk you’re going to miss out on your guy then forget it. We have plenty of other picks and we need QUALITY

We need quality and quantity, a byproduct of the Dorion years.

Obviously they don't make the deal if they have THE guy on the board, but in the hypothetical world where THE guy is gone and they have a tier below him this makes a lot of sense. Probably not realistic on the draft floor, but personally I don't see a lot that separates some of the guys in the 4-12 range.

We'd obviously also need someone in that range to fall in love with someone and be willing to give up the assets required to move up. I acknowledge it's getting cute though when they can just get their top target left at #7.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Said a few weeks ago I’d be hammering the under on Solberg, assuming his line would be at 27-30. Won’t get that chance now a few weeks later.

They’ve got him set at O/U 18.5, and the under is heavily favoured with 1.4 odds. Vegas is expecting him to be a very early pick.

There’s a real chance he jumps ahead of some of the 6 D that have been considered a group all season.
What platform are you using for betting, 365 doesn't have Solberg listed.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What platform are you using for betting, 365 doesn't have Solberg listed.
I use Bet365 as well, you’re correct they don’t have anything up yet.

I just go through other platforms to see what they have up early, because you can usually hop on some pretty strange lines.

Draft Kings and Betway had some early draft odds up, I put some money on Betway to lay down a decent sized bet on Sennecke U 11.5 with some pretty good odds.

Attachments

• EC7FB09B-3411-4414-9232-DDDE8E5F5B04.png
    EC7FB09B-3411-4414-9232-DDDE8E5F5B04.png
    178.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Sensators

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I use Bet365 as well, you’re correct they don’t have anything up yet.

I just go through other platforms to see what they have up early, because you can usually hop on some pretty strange lines.

Draft Kings and Betway had some early draft odds up, I put some money on Betway to lay down a decent sized bet on Sennecke U 11.5 with some pretty good odds.
Ah, thanks. I really need to use a second platform. 365 has him -145 for the U11.5, was betway much better?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I’m usually against moving back, this year Id be Ok going back 2-3 spots, if got a second, probably not for a third.
There is a rumour out there ...

To SJ: 7th OA
To Ott: 14th, 33rd & 42nd

Ott would end up with 14th, 25th, 33rd, 39th & 42nd ... could stock that cupboard pretty well in this draft with 5 picks in the top 42 picks. Who would you take with those 5 picks to stock the prospect pool?

Mine - 14th Yakemchuk RD, 25th Boisvert C/LW, 33rd Elick RD, 39th Surin C/RW, 42nd Griden C/LW

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There is a rumour out there ...

To SJ: 7th OA
To Ott: 14th, 33rd & 42nd

Ott would end up with 14th, 25th, 33rd, 39th & 42nd ... could stock that cupboard pretty well in this draft with 5 picks in the top 42 picks. Who would you take with those 5 picks to stock the prospect pool?

Mine - 14th Yakemchuk RD, 25th Boisvert C/LW, 33rd Elick RD, 39th Surin C/RW, 42nd Griden C/LW
14th Is a bit far to move back for my liking, it's probably good value for us, but idk the draft well enough feel comfortable we could get guys I'd be happy with.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Would y'all give up our #7 pick if we could trade Korpisalo while gaining Markstrom or Ulmark who sign long term? Or should we just keep our pick, keep Korpisalo and shop for a goalie through other means?

I don't know anything about this years draft. So, I guess my question is, can this guy DEFEND? As in lock down, beat um up, don't come into our end or your gonna pay, defence.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Would y'all give up our #7 pick if we could trade Korpisalo while gaining Markstrom or Ulmark who sign long term? Or should we just keep our pick, keep Korpisalo and shop for a goalie through other means?
Sens can’t give up a 3rd (4th) premium pick in a row.

Their last real 1st round pick was 4 years ago. That’s absolutely bonkers as a rebuilding team.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
it is sort of sad how many of the next gen of NHLers are just related to other NHLers.

Bet it is the highest among all major sports worldwide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad