GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Round 1-7 (Jun 28-29)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The emphasis continues to be on high-end skill where possible...with a WHL flavour. Bernier the only real mystery pick in my opinion. I'd give Francis an "A" for the draft in total. But, man, our D pool goes another year without a blue chip or even blue-ish chip prospect.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Can’t quote twitter since I am on the road but it’s tiresome to hear Francis complain about “tried to move picks for players but it didn’t work” excuse.

Other GMs are doing it so maybe try harder or be more flexible

Let's see how hard he's really trying.

Free agency starts in less than 48 hours and there's also the possibility of trades.

Though, I'm sticking with my prediction of Francis not doing much besides signing some more mid level talent(1 or maybe 2), re-signing Beniers and Tolvanen and then "trying to make the playoffs".

Reactions: Fuhrious

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Let's see how hard he's really trying.

Free agency starts in less than 48 hours and there's also the possibility of trades.

Though, I'm sticking with my prediction of Francis not doing much besides signing some more mid level talent(1 or maybe 2), re-signing Beniers and Tolvanen and then "trying to make the playoffs".
Well I am certainly going to get on the replace Francis train if this season ends like garbage

Reactions: Fuhrious

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Well I am certainly going to get on the replace Francis train if this season ends like garbage

It's kind of a strange one for me.

That press conference of Bylsma he(and Bylsma) was basically just talking about prospects and bringing them in until the owner said, while also winning now.

You've got to be fair and see what he does during the offseason but if he really thinks another $5M guy and maybe a trade for another middle six guy is enough to be competitive again he's basically doing everything to lose his job.

Anyways, that's more of a discussion for the offseason thread, I guess.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Can’t quote twitter since I am on the road but it’s tiresome to hear Francis complain about “tried to move picks for players but it didn’t work” excuse.

Other GMs are doing it so maybe try harder or be more flexible
or teams are asking for higher picks then seattle is willing to give up. It was difficult for team to move up to top 10.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
or teams are asking for higher picks then seattle is willing to give up. It was difficult for team to move up to top 10.

I don't think @Fistfullofbeer was just talking about trading up in the draft and no one asked for him to move up to another top ten pick.

It's just a bit easy to say you couldn't get trades done(either moving up or trading for actual NHL ready players) while everyone else seems to be able to do so.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't think @Fistfullofbeer was just talking about trading up in the draft and no one asked for him to move up to another top ten pick.

It's just a bit easy to say you couldn't get trades done(either moving up or trading for actual NHL ready players) while everyone else seems to be able to do so.

A lot of the player trades were just dumping salary and willing to take less of a return. Vegas traded Thompson cause he wanted to be with his GF/future wife.

But if we want players like top 6 that will help right away its going to be expensive. Is it worth throwing away future just for top 6 players at a high cost.

Look at canes with Necas no one wanted to give up a first round pick this year for him.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Correct. Move up in the draft or use the picks to add roster players. I didn’t even mean get a top-20 pick.

So either he is not trying hard enough or GMs don’t want to deal with him.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
A lot of the player trades were just dumping salary and willing to take less of a return. Vegas traded Thompson cause he wanted to be with his GF/future wife.

But if we want players like top 6 that will help right away its going to be expensive. Is it worth throwing away future just for top 6 players at a high cost.

Look at canes with Necas no one wanted to give up a first round pick this year for him.
Not the case. All we heard about was CBJ refusing to trade 4OA for him. But if that’s how high the Canes were aiming, it wouldn’t have worked anyway.

But my point is you can get players for 2nd round picks too. We had 2.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Correct. Move up in the draft or use the picks to add roster players. I didn’t even mean get a top-20 pick.

So either he is not trying hard enough or GMs don’t want to deal with him.

Or he doesn't want to be giving too much assets away. We have no idea what the conversation was between Seattle and other teams.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Dude let it up. Other teams are making trades. If we are the few ones who aren’t, it just sounds like excuses

I can't tell which moves exactly you wanted us to make.

Above it looks like you are saying move picks for players, but mostly don't we want the opposite?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I can't tell which moves exactly you wanted us to make.

Above it looks like you are saying move picks for players, but mostly don't we want the opposite
What I want is a direction. If we are really trying to build via the draft then trade up for quality over quantity. Or stack more high picks by moving vets and non-core players.

The whole let’s be competitive while building “just” via the draft is not practical with the passive approach Francis has taken in the drafts.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What I want is a direction. If we are really trying to build via the draft then trade up for quality over quantity. Or stack more high picks by moving vets and non-core players.

The whole let’s be competitive while building “just” via the draft is not practical with the passive approach Francis has taken in the drafts.

It would have been nice to have another late 1st, like if we moved Gourde at the deadline. But I don't think there was much we could do yesterday. The trade prices for veterans are a lot lower this summer.

We'll see how things go on Monday.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It would have been nice to have another late 1st, like if we moved Gourde at the deadline. But I don't think there was much we could do yesterday. The trade prices for veterans are a lot lower this summer.

We'll see how things go on Monday.
But that is what is starting to frustrate me. Wanting to build via the draft is fine with me, but there needs to be a better job of stacking up higher picks than what has been done so far. Even if we move Larsson, Gourde this coming TDL, it will push us back another year towards developing those prospects.

I will wait to see how the off-season goes and where we are in October. I am genuinely hoping Francis does nothing in FA unless he can get players on one—to two-year contracts, which we can then flip at the deadline for assets. I actually want to build via the draft, but just having one first-round pick every year is too slow of a process. Especially with how well Francis drafts, I would think that would be the best way for us to quickly get core players.

Or he can look at flipping prospects and our picks via trade to add more prospects at the age of 26 and younger so they can potentially be part of the core going forward.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Guys, guys, we have just had a really good draft. Do you think we can allow Francis some peace at least for the weekend?

Actually no and not because I want to go after him.

Free agency starts on Monday and with those deals magically negotiated and ready to sign at 12:01 he might have to keep on working throughout the weekend.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
There are a couple key points where trade assets like Gourde have max value : the past couple days during the draft, and the TDL.

Gourde (and whoever else…Tanev, maybe Oleksiak) are still on the Kraken roster. So either he’s still tap dancing on the edge of this “competitively rebuilding” paradigm that many here agree is setting the team up for failure, or he’s just not very good at hunting down those trade opportunities.

Honestly I’m not entirely sure which of those two I’d rather him be. Theyre both pretty not great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad