Rumor: Byfield extension soon

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Need this news to drop to wash the dirty taste of today’s Edmundson signing out of my mouth

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Would have preferred a bridge deal just so we can see if he actually does well at center. But this is the LA Kings where nothing makes sense.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Two years max please god.

Last thing I want is to commit 64 million dollars to QB and have him score 40 points next season.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
QB will be close to 30 by the next time this team will even begin to contend at the earliest. An offer sheet would unironically be the best option for both team and player. QB gets paid, gets to go to a better organization, and develop at C without being jerked around. Kings get a boatload of picks that a competent GM could use to draft the next core as we will soon be rebuilding anyway.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I'm not too well-versed on things like this, but can another team offer sheet him?
Yes. But I think it's highly unlikely someone would try it. It rarely happens and there are other teams in worse cap position that have multiple RFAs to sign (Carolina).

Edit: best option for both player and team is a 2 year bridge deal around 5m per.

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
QB will be close to 30 by the next time this team will even begin to contend at the earliest. An offer sheet would unironically be the best option for both team and player. QB gets paid, gets to go to a better organization, and develop at C without being jerked around. Kings get a boatload of picks that a competent GM could use to draft the next core as we will soon be rebuilding anyway.
Of the silly things said and done today, you stating the Kings would be better off with QB were offer sheeted is up near the top. Step back from the ledge my friend, it ain't worth it. :).

I know you're just frustrated, as we all are.

Quinton, I hope you like the smell of Bengay because there are a lot of old dudes in the LA King locker room.
That and the view of saggy ball sacks

Reactions: BigBrown

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Based on what? Slaf nearly matched his totals and just signed for 8 x $7.6.. but it’s Blake so maybe you’re right, he’ll add another mil or two
Because I know I could make more long term if I take a bridge and become a star player.

If I'm him I want:

1 year at 5M+

or

8 years at 9M+

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Of the silly things said and done today, you stating the Kings would be better off with QB were offer sheeted is up near the top. Step back from the ledge my friend, it ain't worth it. :).

I know you're just frustrated, as we all are.

That and the view of saggy ball sacks
IMO Byfield is in the same situation that DeBrincat was in Chicago. Good player, great even, but his team stupidly went down a win now path for old team legends and when it all blew up, he was stuck in the beginning of a multi year rebuild and too old to be part of the new 18-20 year old core. Byfield will be there in a few seasons.

Reactions: tigermask48

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
This is the deal everything hinges on :P It is a gamble either way for both sides and there is no clear answer. Though, the spending today makes me feel like a bridge is coming and not a Slafkovsky deal, but if that happens and Byfield truly emerges and solidifies himself then the Kings are going to be hurting sooner rather than later.

Personally, in this case, I would bet on the player and give him the 8-year ~$7-8M per season deal. Yeah, it could blow up in the Kings' faces, but they have to roll the dice on him. I think they'll regret it if they don't lock him up here, but they may have backed themselves into a corner they can no longer get out of cap wise. Don't want to give him Edmundson's money :sarcasm:

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
The only way the Kings don't match would be if a team went over probably $10 million a year. If they do that, the Kings would get 2 1st round picks, a 2nd, and a 3rd. Here are the teams that could give those picks up. Totally unclear on whether or not their cap space would allow for it.
1719880909832.png

A couple of those teams might be worth getting the 1sts from but in all likelihood, the Kings would lose out.

The only way the Kings don't match is if a team gives up $11.5 million a year and there isn't a team in the league doing that because they'd be giving up 4 1sts and QB isn't worth the cap hit or draft capital.

There's no world where the Kings don't sign him.

Reactions: FeartheFur

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
The only way the Kings don't match would be if a team went over probably $10 million a year. If they do that, the Kings would get 2 1st round picks, a 2nd, and a 3rd. Here are the teams that could give those picks up. Totally unclear on whether or not their cap space would allow for it.View attachment 891097

A couple of those teams might be worth getting the 1sts from but in all likelihood, the Kings would lose out.

The only way the Kings don't match is if a team gives up $11.5 million a year and there isn't a team in the league doing that because they'd be giving up 4 1sts and QB isn't worth the cap hit or draft capital.

There's no world where the Kings don't sign him.
10 or more is only 2 firsts?

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
10 or more is only 2 firsts?
It's based on the league average salary so it's a shifting scale year to year.
I think the 2 firsts, a second and a third cutoff is a little north of 11.4 million AAV now. Above that is 4 firsts.

As an example when Penner signed his offer sheet in 2007 it was an AAV of 4.3 mil and Edmonton gave up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. But now, that same offer sheet of 4.3 AAV would only be a 2nd round pick because the average salary has increased significantly since 2007.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad