Draft 2024 NHL Draft Prospects & Undrafted Free Agents

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
I'd like to know what his major flaw is that he isn't even ranked by some. A 18 year old scoring almost 60 goals, and 111 points and doesn't even get in McKenzies top 100?

His stats is very impressing, so googled his name and DobberProspects and The Hockey Writers says he has big holes in his defensive game. Should still be a late round pick.

He might be a similar situation as Micheal St. Croix that had a very impressive D+1 season but never became more then a ECHL player.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Chris Peters draft preview. Doesn’t believe Winnipeg will get fair value for Rutger McGroraty. Doesn’t see a team in this year’s top 14 swapping it for McGroraty:

Last edited:
Reactions: nsvoyageurs

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

Little bit more on Letorneau

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
6'7 18 year olds should have a lot of issues with their skating. It's kind of funny that in this draft Silayev, Letourneau and Pulkkinen are already very good skaters. A player with those attributes of size and skating and youth almost automatically become projectable as NHL players.

Looking at guys like Brian Boyle or Zdeno Chara they all had to work a lot at it. Chara had Bambi legs his first few NHL years. Boyle's skating was always a little sluggish. Rempe has speed and some agility but kind of Bambi legs too. He's got some issues still that he needs to work on. Edstrom's a lot smoother and more stable on his blades. Letourneau can also do some shit with the puck....he's got hand and passing skills. He needs to develop them more against better competition. Next season that's going to start.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I have a short list of players I'd really be targeting at 30 unless there's some major faller. Other than that I'm content to move back. In no particular order it's Jesse Pulkkinen (LHD), Stian Stolberg (LHD), Michael Hage (C), Jett Luchanko (C) and Sacha Boisvert (C).

Some of them have really flew up the rankings so most if not all may not even be available to us. Based off Bob McKenzie's list, Pulkkinen is the only one ranked after where we select.

Let's say all those guys are off the board, in all likelihood BPA will probably be a winger. You'd be looking at prospects like Basha, Artamanov, etc... I'm not against it, these picks could be 4/5 years out from being impact players if they even make it. By then Kreider, Mika, Panarin, Trocheck are either gone or on their way out. New blood will come in. But if it came down to it, I'd rather move down than draft a pure winger. Maybe you move the 1st rounder for an early 2nd and a late 2nd.

There's a few players I like projected for the 2nd round. I know a lot of people are high on Alfons Freij (LHD). He could land in the 2nd, I wouldn't mind the pick. But I'm also a little skeptical of these Swedish defenders. I hate to say it. Their recent track record is shockingly bad. There's a laundry list of them for whatever reason that just haven't met expectations. Brännström, Liljegren, Boqvist, Johansson, Lundkvist, Sandin, Söderström, Broberg, Björnfot... it feels like these guys were drafted yesterday, some of them are already in their mid 20s. The jury is still out on a few of them but they certainly haven't inspired much confidence. I even left out a bunch of the 2nd rounders. They've been incredibly disappointing, it definitely gives me some pause. There's a few other crafty Swedish defenders projected for the 2nd/3rd as well. I'm not saying don't draft them but the track record isn't inspiring.

Big Will Skahan (LHD) from the USNTDP could make sense in the 2nd. McKenzie has him at #49. The point totals aren't sexy, not a ton of offense but he's the sort of player where if he reaches his ceiling he may compliment a guy like Adam Fox really well. Keep an eye out for him, he's going to BC with our boys. No doubt this is right up Drury's alley.

Leon Muggli (LHD) is flying a bit under the radar. The games I've seen there was nothing over the top that really jumped off the page, just a steady player. It's important to remember the kid is a 17 year old playing in the top men's Swiss league. The tools are there. Look at how good JJ Moser has been for Arizona. They took him as an overager at 20 years old after a few seasons in the Swiss League. His final being his big breakout season, the year he was drafted. McKenzie has Muggli at #56.

The big Swedish center Simon Zether is ranked all the way down at #88 on Bob's list now. Honestly I feel playing such a minor role for so long in the SHL really hurt his draft stock. It was much higher when he had just left the J20 after dominating there. I'm fine grabbing him with a 2nd if we acquired one.

There's plenty of wingers to talk about there too but I wouldn't put a huge priority on them. Generally in that area BPA might be a toss up so I'd lean toward organizational needs. I think I'll post a little list of players I like that I'd look to target in the later rounds based off where their rankings have them

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
If Berkely Catton slips out of the top 10, Perreault is the only prospect or pick not available for him.

could not agree more. exactly the type of player this team is desperately missing. also, he's going to be making an nhl impact sooner than later. i wouldn't be shocked to see him pull a zach benson and play in the nhl this season, however if he doesn't, i would be shocked if he's not ready in a year. his quickness/pace/skill and general style will are made for today's game. besides, if he does play in the whl next year his numbers will probably be comical....but he might put up 500 pts if he had to play a second season there post draft.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Well after Perreault Othmann is our next best prospect and I'm pretty sure it would take more than him to move up to get Catton.

I wouldn't trade Perreault for Catton either. But I'm not sure we have the wherewithal to trade up to get Catton otherwise. it would definitely be two big pieces then but my guess is the Rangers won't want to move someone (say Kakko) who will otherwise play on their team next year. The Rangers are going to have ambitions again to make a big run at a Cup. They're not going to trade away NHL players they're counting on for that for a guy who probably won't make the team for another year or even longer.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
If the pick remains #30.

Solberg really rocketed from a 2nd or potentially a 3rd round pick up into the mid to late 1st, I don't think he will be there at #30. McKenzies final list has him at #20. So...Likely to be gone, but if for some reason he is there i cant see the Rangers passing that up. Lots of comparisons to Mauritz Seider. Watched as much as i could with him. I don't see Seider. I see more of a Lindgren with him, with a bit more snarl to oppose his will rather then just being fearless and ability to withstand unsurmountable punishment and keep going. Lots of posters here don't care for Lindgren anymore. I get it. The reality however is Lindgren is a top pairing Dman who has played 333 NHL games, with 2 trips to the Conf finals. These physical dman like him, always go higher then ranked. Wouldn't be surprised if Solberg goes 10-15 like Seider did. If he slips...Please Drury...Please grab him!

If Solberg is gone, and he is very likely to be selected already. for me the top on the wish list is Yegor Surin. He is the ultimate dog on a bone player from this years draft. Royal pain in the ass and always involved in the play. Fights through everything. I think the tools are a bit underrated as well. Really hope the player slides due to the Russian Factor. Some posters here don't believe in the Russian Factor. If you are ever in the presence of professionals within the hockey community, Scouts, Coaches, and even parents of NHL players you will realize it is very much a thing. McKenzie has Surin at #34. If he's there at #30 and Rangers take the podium and don't select him, it will be a remote through the TV moment for me. Wishing this one on the universe.

Right behind Surin is Tarik Parascak. I don't think Parascak will be there either at #30. He was there on the HF Boards mock draft. McKenzie has him #25. Blackbook has him#20. Redline has him #19. This is another player i think will be gone, but being the board mock, and a few other mocks have him falling he is a guy i don't think should be passed up, Quite a few scouts seem to questions his skating so its possible he could fall, but I don't think its likely he will be there.

Next on my list is Artamonov. I think he's limited in his ceiling, but his attributes as a puck hound, high energy type of player he will be a really good support player in the NHL. Redline compares him to Lehkonen. some don't care for Scouching, but I like how he breaks his players down. He too is high on him. #23 on his list. McKenzie has him #35.

Next on my list is Charlie Elick. He was mocked to the Rangers at #30 on a few drafts. He also got chewed up from some NHL scouts. McKenzie has him #33. Redline #68. Blackbook #52. Normally when a draft eligible Defenseman who is 6'3, 205 lbs, plays a physical game and has excellent skating, were looking at a top 15 guy. The reports on Elick from scouts are all over the map. Blackbook crushed him. Redline dropped him into the 60's but thinks he's a an NHL, Dman, they aren't convinced he will be a top 4 guy. Skillset, and mindset are there. I wouldn't be dissapointed if he was a NY Ranger at #30, BUT...if an of the aforementioned are on the board it would be frustrating is he was selected over them.

Dean Letourneau might have been mocked to the NY Rangers more then any other player in this years draft. With the current regimes love for the big bodied forward, i could see the why. I could also see the why for any team. He's a tremendous talent. And he is tremendous. Early on I was all over this player. After the guides came out, he was crushed by quite a few of them. I spoke to one scout who was among the ones who really gave it to him for lack of compete. This is a swing for the fences pick.

My List

1) Maklin Celebebrini
2) Ivan Demidov
3) Zeev Buium
4) Cayden Lindstrom
5) Artyom Levshunov
7) Anton Silayev
8) Tij Iginla
9) Cole Eiserman
10) Berkley Catton
11) Sam Dickinson
12) Stian Solberg
13) Beckett Sennecke
14) Trevor Connelly
15) Michael Brandsegg-Nygard
16) Yegor Surin
17) Konsta Helenius
18) Zayne Parekh
19) Tarik Parascak
20) Carter Yakemchuk
21) Liam Greentree
22) Adam Jiricek
23) Michael Hage
24) Igor Chernyshov
25) Jett Luchanko
26) Cole Beaudoin
27) Sasha Boisvert
28) EJ Emery
29) Andrew Basha
30) Nikita Artamonov
31) Charlie Elick
32) Dean Letourneau

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
In today's Athletic, Max Bultman put together a consensus of the prospect listings of Bob McKenzie, Craig Button, Chris Peters, Scott Wheeler and Corey Pronman. Here are #25-35:

25. Emery
26. Beaudoin
27. Wallaneus
28. Surin
28. Hemming
30. Artamonov
31. Elick
32. Gridin
33. Ritchie
34. Badinka
35. Vanaker

Vince M. wrote today that the Rangers would hope that Boisvert, Hage or Luchanko might slide as did Perrault but if not he identified eight possibilities, including Emery, Surin, Beaudoin and Elick. The other four were ranked lower in the consensus were Letourneau, Miettinen, Kleber and Pulkkinen, who all were in the 39-49 range.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I keep seeing Surin listed as a center. There's not really many centers that play that wrecking ball style, pretty rare. You see that more in wingers for the simple fact that you don't want your center taking themselves out of position running around hitting people. Guys like JT Miller and Sam Bennett make it work. That being said I've seen a decent chunk of Surin this year, it seems he's always playing the wing. That doesn't mean he can't play center but there's a possibility he does end up a winger. Whether he does or doesn't end up a center I feel like a pretty good comparable for the kid is Sam Bennett - both hard nosed, good amount of skill, similar frame.

Reactions: Lion Hound

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Players I like that may be around at 30:

Igor Chernyshov LW, Dynamo Moskva - KHL
Nikita Artamonov RW/LW
, Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod - KHL
Stian Solberg D, Vålerenga - Norway
Andrew Basha F, Medicine Hat Tigers - WHL
Timur Kol D, Avangard Omsk - KHL
Artyom Shcuchinov D, Traktor Chelyabinsk - KHL
Cole Hutson D, USNDTP
Yegor Surin C/RW, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl - KHL
Teddy Stiga LW, USNDTP
Tanner Howe F, Regina Pats - WHL

Players later in the draft who I would target:

Justin Poirier RW, Baie-Comeau Drakkar - QMJHL
Kirill Zarubin G, AKM Tula - MHL
Miroslav Satan Jr. C, HC Slovan Bratislava U20 - Slovakia U20
Kevin He LW, Niagara Ice Dogs - OHL
Ignat Lutfullin LW, SKA-1946 St. Petersburg - MHL
Anthony Romani C/RW, North Bay Battalion - OHL
Tyler Thorpe F, Vancouver Giants - WHL
Max Plante C, USNDTP
Andrei Krutov LW/RW, Chaika Nizhny Novgorod, MHL
Alexander Siratsky D, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, KHL
Ryder Boulton F, London Knights, OHL
Arsen Taimazov D, Irbis Kazan, MHL

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
If the pick remains #30.

Solberg really rocketed from a 2nd or potentially a 3rd round pick up into the mid to late 1st, I don't think he will be there at #30. McKenzies final list has him at #20. So...Likely to be gone, but if for some reason he is there i cant see the Rangers passing that up. Lots of comparisons to Mauritz Seider. Watched as much as i could with him. I don't see Seider. I see more of a Lindgren with him, with a bit more snarl to oppose his will rather then just being fearless and ability to withstand unsurmountable punishment and keep going. Lots of posters here don't care for Lindgren anymore. I get it. The reality however is Lindgren is a top pairing Dman who has played 333 NHL games, with 2 trips to the Conf finals. These physical dman like him, always go higher then ranked. Wouldn't be surprised if Solberg goes 10-15 like Seider did. If he slips...Please Drury...Please grab him!

If Solberg is gone, and he is very likely to be selected already. for me the top on the wish list is Yegor Surin. He is the ultimate dog on a bone player from this years draft. Royal pain in the ass and always involved in the play. Fights through everything. I think the tools are a bit underrated as well. Really hope the player slides due to the Russian Factor. Some posters here don't believe in the Russian Factor. If you are ever in the presence of professionals within the hockey community, Scouts, Coaches, and even parents of NHL players you will realize it is very much a thing. McKenzie has Surin at #34. If he's there at #30 and Rangers take the podium and don't select him, it will be a remote through the TV moment for me. Wishing this one on the universe.

Right behind Surin is Tarik Parascak. I don't think Parascak will be there either at #30. He was there on the HF Boards mock draft. McKenzie has him #25. Blackbook has him#20. Redline has him #19. This is another player i think will be gone, but being the board mock, and a few other mocks have him falling he is a guy i don't think should be passed up, Quite a few scouts seem to questions his skating so its possible he could fall, but I don't think its likely he will be there.

Next on my list is Artamonov. I think he's limited in his ceiling, but his attributes as a puck hound, high energy type of player he will be a really good support player in the NHL. Redline compares him to Lehkonen. some don't care for Scouching, but I like how he breaks his players down. He too is high on him. #23 on his list. McKenzie has him #35.

Next on my list is Charlie Elick. He was mocked to the Rangers at #30 on a few drafts. He also got chewed up from some NHL scouts. McKenzie has him #33. Redline #68. Blackbook #52. Normally when a draft eligible Defenseman who is 6'3, 205 lbs, plays a physical game and has excellent skating, were looking at a top 15 guy. The reports on Elick from scouts are all over the map. Blackbook crushed him. Redline dropped him into the 60's but thinks he's a an NHL, Dman, they aren't convinced he will be a top 4 guy. Skillset, and mindset are there. I wouldn't be dissapointed if he was a NY Ranger at #30, BUT...if an of the aforementioned are on the board it would be frustrating is he was selected over them.

Dean Letourneau might have been mocked to the NY Rangers more then any other player in this years draft. With the current regimes love for the big bodied forward, i could see the why. I could also see the why for any team. He's a tremendous talent. And he is tremendous. Early on I was all over this player. After the guides came out, he was crushed by quite a few of them. I spoke to one scout who was among the ones who really gave it to him for lack of compete. This is a swing for the fences pick.

My List

1) Maklin Celebebrini
2) Ivan Demidov
3) Zeev Buium
4) Cayden Lindstrom
5) Artyom Levshunov
7) Anton Silayev
8) Tij Iginla
9) Cole Eiserman
10) Berkley Catton
11) Sam Dickinson
12) Stian Solberg
13) Beckett Sennecke
14) Trevor Connelly
15) Michael Brandsegg-Nygard
16) Yegor Surin
17) Konsta Helenius
18) Zayne Parekh
19) Tarik Parascak
20) Carter Yakemchuk
21) Liam Greentree
22) Adam Jiricek
23) Michael Hage
24) Igor Chernyshov
25) Jett Luchanko
26) Cole Beaudoin
27) Sasha Boisvert
28) EJ Emery
29) Andrew Basha
30) Nikita Artamonov
31) Charlie Elick
32) Dean Letourneau

Of your guys, Elick is really the only one I think I'd be disappointed to see the Rangers select. Surin & Beaudoin are definitely my Top 2, but I think Beaudoin's likely gone before 30.

EDIT: While a lot of scout reports have been pretty down on Elick, he is 26 in EP's rankings and 29 for Draft Prospect Hockey

Reactions: Lion Hound

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Players I like that may be around at 30:

Igor Chernyshov LW, Dynamo Moskva - KHL
Nikita Artamonov RW/LW
, Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod - KHL
Stian Solberg D, Vålerenga - Norway
Andrew Basha F, Medicine Hat Tigers - WHL
Timur Kol D, Avangard Omsk - KHL
Artyom Shcuchinov D, Traktor Chelyabinsk - KHL
Cole Hutson D, USNDTP
Yegor Surin C/RW, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl - KHL
Teddy Stiga LW, USNDTP
Tanner Howe F, Regina Pats - WHL

Players later in the draft who I would target:

Justin Poirier RW, Baie-Comeau Drakkar - QMJHL
Kirill Zarubin G, AKM Tula - MHL
Miroslav Satan Jr. C, HC Slovan Bratislava U20 - Slovakia U20
Kevin He LW, Niagara Ice Dogs - OHL
Ignat Lutfullin LW, SKA-1946 St. Petersburg - MHL
Anthony Romani C/RW, North Bay Battalion - OHL
Tyler Thorpe F, Vancouver Giants - WHL
Max Plante C, USNDTP
Andrei Krutov LW/RW, Chaika Nizhny Novgorod, MHL
Alexander Siratsky D, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, KHL
Ryder Boulton F, London Knights, OHL
Arsen Taimazov D, Irbis Kazan, MHL
From that top group... aside from the more obvious ones I'm a fan of Timur Kol. He slid down the rankings this season and now he's projected as a third rounder. I wouldn't reach for him in the first but he's worth a pick after that. Those big mobile defenders tend to project well. Like Muggli and Solberg I give Kol some extra credit for competing professionally against men this year

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Elick over Surin, Freij, Letorneau, Artamonov, etc. would be a terrible pick. Then again, Button's never been a particularly good scout
Something’s off? This was released by TSN several hours ago but they have Ottawa still with the 25th pick.
Just a hunch but I don’t see Sam O’Reilly making it past Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad