Draft 2024 NHL Draft Prospects & Undrafted Free Agents

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I like the idea of trading down but I wonder if that would even be on the table. It was reported that Dolan wanted Drury to keep the first rounder because the draft was being held at The Sphere (which he's part owner). He wants to be part of the show. Some people didnt want to believe that. Whether or not its true, who knows... but it was reported by legitimate insiders. Maybe trading out of the first at the draft for extra picks is enough to satisfy his interests but I don't know, probably not. If anything I think they're more likely to move up.

If they don't intend on giving Jones a real opportunity to be an everyday player use him as a trade chip. He should have some value, no reason to keep him as an extra. You can get a cheap free agent for that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I like the idea of trading down but I wonder if that would even be on the table. It was reported that Dolan wanted Drury to keep the first rounder because the draft was being held at The Sphere (which he's part owner). He wants to be part of the show. Some people didnt want to believe that. Whether or not its true, who knows... but it was reported by legitimate insiders. Maybe trading out of the first at the draft for extra picks is enough to satisfy his interests but I don't know, probably not. If anything I think they're more likely to move up.

If they don't intend on giving Jones a real opportunity to be an everyday player use him as a trade chip. He should have some value, no reason to keep him as an extra. You can get a cheap free agent for that.
I don’t think when you are picking 30th it matters as much to putting the show on.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
It's possible that he comes to the Rangers development camp and then signs an AHL contract. I was surprised that the Rangers had him come to Hartford for a few weeks at the end of his CHL season. That suggests some level of interest. We'll see.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I am fairly confident that the Rangers are going to make a significant move on day one of the draft to be part of the “show”. Their first plus a roster player for an improvement somewhere.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Watching an interview with Chris Peters from yesterday. Claims huge drop off after midway through the 1st. Also believes this is a weak draft class. Doesn’t see any steals coming in from the 3-7 rounds.

He'd have to be braindead to bet on that. There will be steals. We just don't know right now. Sort of like how steals work in general.

Really dumb thing for Peters to say.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
He'd have to be braindead to bet on that. There will be steals. We just don't know right now. Sort of like how steals work in general.

Really dumb thing for Peters to say.
Steven Ellis also said a huge drop off after 15/16 but wouldn’t call it a weak draft. Ellis said it’s not a great draft but a good one.
I want to find Corey Proman’s opinion.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Steven Ellis also said a huge drop off after 15/16 but wouldn’t call it a weak draft. Ellis said it’s not a great draft but a good one.
I want to find Corey Proman’s opinion.
There’s a drop off in higher-end talent, but there’s a lot of kids with projectable skills that could translate to NHL roles. I would agree that overall it’s a solid draft. Getting players that can backfill your lineup for cheap with some higher potential is never a bad thing.

Getting lucky and striking gold in the middle rounds is all luck anyways, so it’s not worth it setting that expectation (not saying that to you). Rangers have been lucky enough with Hank and Igor then anyways

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
"In speaking to several NHL Scouts for the draft, the majority have told us they have between 17-20 “A” rated prospects this year. More than one scout had less than 17 players with a 1st round “A”grade. " - Black Book this year

They've got:
20 A's
24 B's
13 C+

"DRAFT GRADES
We also include a draft grade in the player profiles. We use these draft grades as a sorting tool.
As a real life example, an NHL’s teams Director of Scouting will look to his area scouts grades in the various leagues to assist in his scheduling. The scout is not going to make a trip cross country to go see one player with a “C” grade on a team. The scout would seek out “A” and “B” graded players in a certain area. This gives them an idea of which players and how many players he would be watching during the course of the trip. The scout might see three “A” players two "B" players and 5 “C” players (who are included in the games with A’s and B’s). It obviously varies on each trip. As the season moves along, the number of players with draft grades drops. We use A.B.C,C+ Watch (Watch List) and NI (No Interest).

"Not all the players we rate with a draftable grade will make our list. We will have several “C" rated players who don't crack our final list. Any players who we have rated with draft-able grades who don’t get drafted would start the next season as watch list players. Note that actual NHL teams will be inviting some of their top rated players who went undrafted to their camps."

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
i don't follow terribly close but just going off my impressions amalgamating a few different lists and scouting reports there's a couple guys who feel like the type of player/style/strengths in terms of what i'd like to see injected into the system...mainly speed/pace guys with the skill/iq to offer real upside. they're ranked all over and this isn't to say take all of them, but every year aroud draft time i take a look and between the little u18's/wjc's/memorial cup type stuff i might have caught and some lists/reports there's always a few guys i hope end up with the rangers.

near the top...connolly. seems like he'll be gone, but there is some chance his reputation results in him falling and having seen some of him, he's exactly the type of dynamic skating skill player the rangers haven't had in forever. he might be controversial, i don't care about anything i've seen to date. people grow up. you'd be delusional to think many players who are universally praised as great people now didn't do some really stupid things as kids too..theirs just didn't turn into headlines.

oskar vuollet - fast, skill, offensive upside, center

alexander zetterberg - same as above, even more dynamic, high iq, just small. could see him exploding at bu, and ncaa is a great route for him.

'will zellers - again, same as above. high skill, high iq, plays with pace. smaller player going to nodak which could be fantastic for him. like that he's coming from shattuck too, those kids are always extremely well coached on details.

couple others
john mustard - local kid, a little bigger body who can absolutely fly and has some skill.
gabriel eliasson - huge dman who apparently is a total piece of sht out there...never a bad thing to have
teddy stige - goal caufield light

would be very happy if the rangers walked away with 1-2 of them, or at least 1-2 who have similar profiles as the first 4. the rangers desperately need someone with some electricity to their game. you can't use every pick on smallish upside guys, i mostly agree with their recent draft philosophy prioritizing size/competitiveness, that's a huge part of the recipe for how championship teams have been built. the only thing i'd change is, assuming a draft with at least 5 picks, using one on an elite motor guy - whether that's a hagelin type that projects as a bottom 6 forechecking menace or a braden point/stankoven type with high end upside - i think one who fits either profile should be prioritized annually as you get to the later rounds. bpa always, but after the first 2-3 rounds bpa becomes almost entirely dictated by the profile an org prioritizes/which scout makes the most noise over someone still on the board.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There’s a drop off in higher-end talent, but there’s a lot of kids with projectable skills that could translate to NHL roles. I would agree that overall it’s a solid draft. Getting players that can backfill your lineup for cheap with some higher potential is never a bad thing.

Getting lucky and striking gold in the middle rounds is all luck anyways, so it’s not worth it setting that expectation (not saying that to you). Rangers have been lucky enough with Hank and Igor then anyways

The Rangers the last few years seem to be consistently pulling good picks out of the middle to late rounds. Berard, Chmelar, Rempe, Edstrom, Garand, Laba, Mancini, Roobroeck, Vaisanen---some of these guys might not make it but some will and I think all have a good chance. Even 3rd rounders--Zac Jones, BMB, Fortescue. I don't think it's entirely by accident. The Rangers are looking for guys who can skate, guys with size, team type players willing to adapt their games and fit roles. I expect Rempe and Edstrom to at least play a lot for the Rangers next year and Berard's another possibility and potentially Mancini or Garand get a look. Laba had a fantastic year at Colorado College....pretty much willed his team into the ECAC tournament with a lot of Overtime goals, game winners, shorthanded goals. Roobroeck took off in Oshawa's second half. Both Chmelar and Mancini made very positive impressions in Hartford after turning pro when their college seasons ended.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Alfons. Freij.

Say it with me folks.

There is a good chance Freij won't be on board at 30 and then what? Setting your sights on one player when we're at the tail end of the first round I think we can expect a lot of guys that we like to be already gone. I do expect there will be a lot of good D and F options still. Whether Freij will be one of them remains to be seen. Looking at Tankathon this morning they have the Rangers taking Emil Hemming at 30 and I'd find that acceptable though again there will be other options to him.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Seen a few mock drafts with Dean Letourneau, and Charlie Elick going to the Rangers with their 1st round selection. In the brief descriptions both seemed very interesting prospects.

Been going through draft guides on these two. Both have been torn apart really good by some scouts. On Letourneau multiple scouts are seeing a huge lack of effort and compete level. All say the skillset is there, and he certainly has the size.. On Elick, he comes with the ruff and tumble label. Big Hitter. Mean presence on the blueline. They all agree there with the physical aspect, but scouts are saying the skill just isn't NHL level.

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
There is a good chance Freij won't be on board at 30 and then what? Setting your sights on one player when we're at the tail end of the first round I think we can expect a lot of guys that we like to be already gone. I do expect there will be a lot of good D and F options still. Whether Freij will be one of them remains to be seen. Looking at Tankathon this morning they have the Rangers taking Emil Hemming at 30 and I'd find that acceptable though again there will be other options to him.
Sure. But there’s a guy I very much want and I’m going to hope that happens.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
If NYR some how get a late 2nd, or 3rd does anyone have a report on Aatos Koivu? Obv NHL bloodlines, RH center, he seems to be ranked between 60-100, and seems to be on the younger side of the draft.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Interesting that the Rangers signed Dufort out of Baie-Comeau to an AHL deal. His teammate, Justin Poirier, is one of the more polarizing players in this class. He's small, but it's hard to ignore a kid that scores as many goals as he does. This is just my opinion, but I'm expecting him to fall somewhere into the 4th-6th rounds, and I'd be curious to see if the Rangers would take a chance on him. They've already opted to pick a bunch of guys with strong bottom-6 profiles over the last few drafts. Poirier is the exact opposite of that.

On Letourneau, I obviously haven't seen anything from his St. Andrew's games, but I did catch up and see some of his small sample from Sioux Falls. It's only 2 games in a new league, so massive grain of salt there, but he just looked a bit too removed from the play for someone who had that much of a size advantage against his peers. He also had a bit of that baby giraffe awkwardness going, which I think will get corrected as he builds lower-body strength. I don't think the Rangers can afford taking the swing and missing right now given where the prospect pool is. If they trade back into the 2nd, then maybe, but he didn't seem like the type of kid who would be able to put it all together. BC will help him, but I could easily see it taking 3 years before he really pops there. People will hope he's the next Tage Thompson, but I don't know if he has the hands to be that type of player. I think you'd hope he'd become a player like Michael Rasmussen that you needs a bit of shelter and can fill a specific role on your team. I don't think he's a C at any of the pro levels either.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Interesting that the Rangers signed Dufort out of Baie-Comeau to an AHL deal. His teammate, Justin Poirier, is one of the more polarizing players in this class. He's small, but it's hard to ignore a kid that scores as many goals as he does. This is just my opinion, but I'm expecting him to fall somewhere into the 4th-6th rounds, and I'd be curious to see if the Rangers would take a chance on him. They've already opted to pick a bunch of guys with strong bottom-6 profiles over the last few drafts. Poirier is the exact opposite of that.
I know after the Panthers series people are going to want to draft big heavy players but would love if NYR could move slightly back and grab an extra pick for this kid. Sure he's another winger but NYR have drafted a lot of heavy players in somewhat recent drafts and besides Gabe have little pure offensive players. He could be a real steal in the 2nd round and eventually help nyr RW depth. As much as I would like them to start filling the d & c prospect pool would not hate this pick at all as other winger prospects will prob eventually be moved for D prospects or rentals.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
ever since he pounded the table for Logan Stankoven i have paid a lot of attention to what Will Scouch at Scouching thinks about these prospects.

He does *not* love Letourneau. Dominant size at a younger level can be deceiving, and he's hella old for the class.

Give me one of the youngest players in the class, with elite raw speed and developing playmaking who could potentially fit at C or RW. Give me the guy who has an all time name, a guy from the fair North, with the size to play in May and June and a propensity to SHOOT THE PUCK.

Give me John Mustard.
In the observatory with a lead pipe.

..wait, wrong game.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Was speaking with the Royals HC. Not a lot of local talent for this years draft. Adams, and Hagens are maybes.

Next year, the younger Hagens is draft eligible. He's a kid that played for the Royals before going off to Prep, and ultimately USNTDP. He's drawing a lot of comparisions to Jack Hughes. Lots of scouts have him #1st OA. Hes committed to BC next season. Unfortunately, he was brainwashed into being an Avid Islanders fan.

• Haha
Reactions: B17 Apricots

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015

On Letourneau, I obviously haven't seen anything from his St. Andrew's games, but I did catch up and see some of his small sample from Sioux Falls. It's only 2 games in a new league, so massive grain of salt there, but he just looked a bit too removed from the play for someone who had that much of a size advantage against his peers. He also had a bit of that baby giraffe awkwardness going, which I think will get corrected as he builds lower-body strength. I don't think the Rangers can afford taking the swing and missing right now given where the prospect pool is. If they trade back into the 2nd, then maybe, but he didn't seem like the type of kid who would be able to put it all together. BC will help him, but I could easily see it taking 3 years before he really pops there. People will hope he's the next Tage Thompson, but I don't know if he has the hands to be that type of player. I think you'd hope he'd become a player like Michael Rasmussen that you needs a bit of shelter and can fill a specific role on your team. I don't think he's a C at any of the pro levels either.
Letourneau is a polarizing prospect. Of the 21 mock drafts included in the database on drafts that I linked to in an earlier post Letourneau ranges from 22 to 87 and Craig Button did not include him in his ranking of the top 64. Somewhere (can't find it now) there was an evaluation of him showing a range of being an NHL second line center to be a career AHL player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad