Draft 2024 NHL Draft Prospects & Undrafted Free Agents

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Steven Ellis and Will Scouch are high on RHD EJ Emery and undersized Center Teddy Stiga. Live show, don’t have a minute mark. Guessing 35 minute mark?
Both not to be projected to be 1st round picks:

Stiga could be a dark horse for the last few picks in round 1, but I'm expecting him to be in round 2. I'd be absolutely stunned if Emery fell out of round 1, and I'm almost expecting him to be the Rangers pick if he's there at 30.

Reactions: surlysailor

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Stiga could be a dark horse for the last few picks in round 1, but I'm expecting him to be in round 2. I'd be absolutely stunned if Emery fell out of round 1, and I'm almost expecting him to be the Rangers pick if he's there at 30.
I’ll look it up an add an edit but isn’t he on the smaller side with a small frame as well?
I’m with you on Emery. If he available I be happy with that pick and I have four defensemen that I also would want Drury to draft.
Edit: not the most reliable source but db has him at 5’10”, 177lbs.
If we had many picks I’d wouldn’t mind them taking a chance but as it stands now count me out.
Sykora and Berard already will be competing for spots in two years , would rather go with size.
Other than Marchessault, Point and Marchand small forwards have a tough go in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac n Gs

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I thought Ellis’s take on Emery was a ringing endorsement. Said after speaking with top forwards that EJ was the toughest d-man to get around and even if they were able, Emery would run them.
Meanest player on the ice; nicest player off the ice.
"Meanest player on the ice; nicest player off the ice."

See, that's not at all what I've read at all.
“I think he’s going to go firmly in the first. A big, long body, a very good skater. Very athletic. A little bit of a tweener because he’s
not naturally nasty.
He’s not an offensive guy. I think he defends well. I like him in transition and retrievals. He’s a first-round pick
for me.” – NHL scout, June 2024
EP Draft Guide quoted

"The other danger here is that in Emery’s recovery process on the rush, he’s not that difficult to play against
consistently. There were minimal flashes of mean but it doesn’t look terribly natural. So, we saw some players try to take
him outside-in on the rush after a failed pokecheck and Emery allowed them to “get corner” on him a bit more than
we’d like to see at the level of competition he was dealing with."
Black Book

"So, we have a 6’3” frame with huge athletic upside. He’s a better 1-on-1 defender than anything else. E.J. isn’t a natural
mauler or big hitter despite how he often gaps up in the neutral zone.
And the puck skills might actually be a stopper in
terms of NHL upside. His decisions with the puck put some caution on the overall hockey sense and mental processor
that this player offers as well."
Black Book

"Emery says he models his game after K’Andre Miller – and there’s some stylistic connection there – but Miller was bigger, meaner, and more skilled by a significant degree."
Black Book

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
"Meanest player on the ice; nicest player off the ice."

See, that's not at all what I've read at all.
“I think he’s going to go firmly in the first. A big, long body, a very good skater. Very athletic. A little bit of a tweener because he’s
not naturally nasty.
He’s not an offensive guy. I think he defends well. I like him in transition and retrievals. He’s a first-round pick
for me.” – NHL scout, June 2024
EP Draft Guide quoted

"The other danger here is that in Emery’s recovery process on the rush, he’s not that difficult to play against
consistently. There were minimal flashes of mean but it doesn’t look terribly natural. So, we saw some players try to take
him outside-in on the rush after a failed pokecheck and Emery allowed them to “get corner” on him a bit more than
we’d like to see at the level of competition he was dealing with."
Black Book

"So, we have a 6’3” frame with huge athletic upside. He’s a better 1-on-1 defender than anything else. E.J. isn’t a natural
mauler or big hitter despite how he often gaps up in the neutral zone.
And the puck skills might actually be a stopper in
terms of NHL upside. His decisions with the puck put some caution on the overall hockey sense and mental processor
that this player offers as well."
Black Book

"Emery says he models his game after K’Andre Miller – and there’s some stylistic connection there – but Miller was bigger, meaner, and more skilled by a significant degree."
Black Book
It’s crazy that all these independent scouting services have different takes.
From everything I’ve gleaned this draft is a crapshoot after 5/6. A draft like this would be a luxury to have quantity which sadly we do not.
But if we could draft a solid 3rd pair RHD that we could cost control for years to come then count me in.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
From everything I’ve gleaned this draft is a crapshoot after 5/6. A draft like this would be a luxury to have quantity which sadly we do not.
But if we could draft a solid 3rd pair RHD that we could cost control for years to come then count me in.

If we're going D in the first I'd sooner be targeting Freij or Jiricek than Emery. Guys with higher hockey IQ and puck moving ability. I'm down on Elick for similar reasons.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
If we're going D in the first I'd sooner be targeting Freij or Jiricek than Emery. Guys with higher hockey IQ and puck moving ability. I'm down on Elick for similar reasons.
Sam Cosentino did an interview with Emery for NHL Network but it is not in the public domain so I can’t post it.
EJ’s Father was a CFL player.
I would also would be happy with him or these d-men:
Charlie Elick: Brandon(WHL)
Jack Pridham: West Kelowna(BCHL)
Colin Ralph: Dubuque(USHL)
Stain Solberg: Norway

I can’t remember a draft where it’s more like a roulette wheel than a consensus.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I’ll look it up an add an edit but isn’t he on the smaller side with a small frame as well?
I’m with you on Emery. If he available I be happy with that pick and I have four defensemen that I also would want Drury to draft.
Edit: not the most reliable source but db has him at 5’10”, 177lbs.
If we had many picks I’d wouldn’t mind them taking a chance but as it stands now count me out.
Sykora and Berard already will be competing for spots in two years , would rather go with size.
Other than Marchessault, Point and Marchand small forwards have a tough go in the playoffs.

Yeah, I'd be happy with it too, even if he wouldn't be my first option. I really want to find a way to nab one of Beaudoin, Boisvert, or Hage, but they'll all likely be gone by 30.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Sam Cosentino did an interview with Emery for NHL Network but it is not in the public domain so I can’t post it.
EJ’s Father was a CFL player.
I would also would be happy with him or these d-men:
Charlie Elick: Brandon(WHL)
Jack Pridham: West Kelowna(BCHL)
Colin Ralph: Dubuque(USHL)
Stain Solberg: Norway

I can’t remember a draft where it’s more like a roulette wheel than a consensus.

Stolberg's going mid-20s. Jiricek probably too.

I'm looking more at:
Freij
Badinka
Brunicke
Pulkkinen

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Yeah, I'd be happy with it too, even if he wouldn't be my first option. I really want to find a way to nab one of Beaudoin, Boisvert, or Hage, but they'll all likely be gone by 30.
Isn’t Hage the player who along with Connelly is a bit unhinged? Or am I thinking of someone else?

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
If we could trade down for a 40 + 60 range pick and take Stiga + Letourneau (assuming he drops), that would be solid. Emery at 30 would be pretty decent too. Gives us a clear path to replacing Trouba.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Isn’t Hage the player who along with Connelly is a bit unhinged? Or am I thinking of someone else?
I’m not sure who you’re referencing because, from what I’ve seen, by all accounts Hage is a hard-working kid that’s done a lot to get healthy after the shoulder injury last year. Connelly has done a ton of stuff to be a better person off the ice too from what I’ve read. I think that reputation is being exaggerated a bit with him, but I get why teams want to avoid a potential headache

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I’m not sure who you’re referencing because, from what I’ve seen, by all accounts Hage is a hard-working kid that’s done a lot to get healthy after the shoulder injury last year. Connelly has done a ton of stuff to be a better person off the ice too from what I’ve read. I think that reputation is being exaggerated a bit with him, but I get why teams want to avoid a potential headache
Right you are. Tanner Howe is who I was thinking of.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I thought Ellis’s take on Emery was a ringing endorsement. Said after speaking with top forwards that EJ was the toughest d-man to get around and even if they were able, Emery would run them.
Meanest player on the ice; nicest player off the ice.
Sold.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
There are definitely guys i wouldn't be thrilled with us drafting, but I think the only one that'd make me genuinely angry would be Connelly

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
In post #6,571 in the “Around the NHL” thread I posted the full Don Waddell interview. If you go to the 11:20 mark, Waddell talks about not only they are willing to move the #4 pick but teams around the Blue Jackets are also looking to move back.

Reactions: surlysailor

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
post #6,577 in the “Around the NHL” thread I posted the full Daniel Briere interview. Said what Waddell said that teams are looking to move back in this years draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad