2024 NHL Draft: Play with no weenie, for Celebrini

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Here’s the recent Judd Brackett quote I was mentioning earlier, seems like the draft trades are a joint effort and Brackett appreciates Guerin’s efforts in the past compared with his previous experiences:

On the Wild’s chances of moving up in the draft​

We’d love to. Every year, we identify the lines in the first round where you’d move up, where you’d stand still, where you’d trade back. We’d love to. The problem is going to be that the teams in those spots are very happy with their choices that they have. (Guerin) is very active. If we encourage him to make a call on a trade-up, he’s never afraid to. It’s really refreshing. From that standpoint, he’s very active. We’ll listen and identify it. I just think the chances to move up will be difficult.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Celebrini
Demidov
Catton
Iginla
Lindstrom
Eiserman
Levshunov
Buium
Dickinson
Silayev
Yakemchuk
Parekh

Hypothetical question. The list of players above are all off the board at #13, which player available would you be the least surprised if they ended up a legit line-driving top line F/top pair D? I think my pick Artamonov.

Also, there are 3 trade down scenarios that I potentially like:

Down to #15 for Detroit's 2nd (#47), down to #16 for STL's 2nd round pick (#48) and down to #18 for Chicago's 2nd round pick #34. Anybody do any of these if these are the first 12 off the board? Sub Helenius with Eiserman if you're not a big Eiserman fan.

Reactions: DANOZ28

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Rossi just passably did it in the NHL as a rookie.

This is just hanging onto an out-of-date draft opinion.

I don't think lack of better options is a big selling point. That says more about the team build than anything.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't think lack of better options is a big selling point. That says more about the team build than anything.
It's not lack of better options. It's my idea that I'm expecting Rossi to be better in year 2 than year 1, and then better in year 3 than year 2. Eventually that will stop, but I'm hoping it's not after year 1.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Celebrini
Demidov
Catton
Iginla
Lindstrom
Eiserman
Levshunov
Buium
Dickinson
Silayev
Yakemchuk
Parekh

Hypothetical question. The list of players above are all off the board at #13, which player available would you be the least surprised if they ended up a legit line-driving top line F/top pair D? I think my pick Artamonov.

Down to #15 for Detroit's 2nd (#47), down to #16 for STL's 2nd round pick (#48) and down to #18 for Chicago's 2nd round pick #34. Anybody do any of these if these are the first 12 off the board? Sub Helenius with Eiserman if you're not a big Eiserman fan.

Greentree if (big if) he can fix his skating. I think he's a trade dawn to get player, not one to pick at 13oa.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Celebrini
Demidov
Catton
Iginla
Lindstrom
Eiserman
Levshunov
Buium
Dickinson
Silayev
Yakemchuk
Parekh

Sennecke. The guy I want :)

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It's not lack of better options. It's my idea that I'm expecting Rossi to be better in year 2 than year 1, and then better in year 3 than year 2. Eventually that will stop, but I'm hoping it's not after year 1.

It is completely lack of better options. Rossi isn't a top-6 center for any Playoff team this year. He wouldn't even be a 3C on most of them. Even of the non-Playoff teams he wouldn't be centering for many of them.

If Yurov was on the team right now I'd wager the majority of the board would have him above Rossi on the depth chart list at center.

Heck they even gave him substantial time with Kap to boost his trade value and the market isn't there for him. If it was Russo would still be beating the trade drum instead of walking it back.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It is completely lack of better options. Rossi isn't a top-6 center for any Playoff team this year. He wouldn't even be a 3C on most of them. Even of the non-Playoff teams he wouldn't be centering for many of them.

If Yurov was on the team right now I'd wager the majority of the board would have him above Rossi on the depth chart list at center.

Heck they even gave him substantial time with Kap to boost his trade value and the market isn't there for him. If it was Russo would still be beating the trade drum instead of walking it back.
Do you have no understanding of young players? Or is just selective to guys that you were clearly wrong about not using a 1st round pick on?

Rossi just equalled Eriksson Ek's even strength production as a rookie. Is Eriksson Ek just a lack of better options? If so, Rossi is clearly not the biggest problem at that position on the team.

I don't care at all what Russo was beating the drum the about. He all but admitted it was because there wasn't much else to write about because of trade clauses.

Reactions: AKL

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Do you have no understanding of young players? Or is just selective to guys that you were clearly wrong about not using a 1st round pick on?

Rossi just equalled Eriksson Ek's even strength production as a rookie. Is Eriksson Ek just a lack of better options? If so, Rossi is clearly not the biggest problem at that position on the team.

I don't care at all what Russo was beating the drum the about. He all but admitted it was because there wasn't much else to write about because of trade clauses.

Sure same situation between the 2 of them. MN had the equivalent of the Staal, Koivu, Coyle, Cullen, Granny, and Winnick on the team last year that JEE had coming into the NHL.

Rossi is more similar to Granny at the same points in their careers where there were no other options at center. Granny was moved to wing as soon as they found a real top-6 center and blew up.

I'm still not wrong Rossi isn't even being seen as a long term solution as a top-6C on here. He's there because ther only other option on the team is Hartman.

Rossi is much better than JEE was in the o-zone at the same age, that is a given. JEE was better at all other aspects of the game.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I just watched 3 minutes of Senneke highlights and from I saw, he looks like a right handed Matt Boldy. I wouldn't throw a fit if he is the pick.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Celebrini
Demidov
Catton
Iginla
Lindstrom
Eiserman
Levshunov
Buium
Dickinson
Silayev
Yakemchuk
Parekh

Sennecke or Hage for me - both seem to have that possibility of breaking down that sweet top-6 barrier (or more).

Connelly is an option too - based on skill he is up there but he apparently has some severe attitude issues.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Sure same situation between the 2 of them. MN had the equivalent of the Staal, Koivu, Coyle, Cullen, Granny, and Winnick on the team last year that JEE had coming into the NHL.

Rossi is more similar to Granny at the same points in their careers where there were no other options at center. Granny was moved to wing as soon as they found a real top-6 center and blew up.

I'm still not wrong Rossi isn't even being seen as a long term solution as a top-6C on here. He's there because ther only other option on the team is Hartman.

Rossi is much better than JEE was in the o-zone at the same age, that is a given. JEE was better at all other aspects of the game.
So Rossi better at offense, Eriksson Ek better at defense. Sounds kind of even.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sennecke. The guy I want :)
It's hard not to project when you see Sennecke. If nothing else, he will be entertaining. I think he'll end up being 6'4", fast, and skilled. It's hard to say how physical he will end up being at this point, though one recent scouting video i saw said he was ramping his physicality up at the end of the year, though he isn't even close to being filled out.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

I somewhat agree, though MiG was never really a natural C, while Rossi always has been. I like Rossi a bit more in general, though it's impossible to know how, or if, Rossi will improve. I don't see him growing in height, and he's already fairly stocky, but i guess he can get a bit stronger, and a teeny bit faster(it took Granlund quite a while to improve his speed). I believe in his smarts and character.
Put me in the camp of I want to keep him until something better comes along. Yurov might end up being a really good NHL C, or Bankier, but until that happens i am not moving Rossi unless it's for something really good.

Reactions: BagHead

saywut

Jun 11, 2009

Give me that Chicago trade if my top-11 are gone at 13. Would be okay moving down further. Feel pretty good about getting Artamonov at 34, so would be okay with taking Jiricek at 18 in that case, following it up with a safer pick at 45(Eriksson/Danford/etc).

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
all you guys are excited sennecke is gonna grow, ? is he going to score like boldy? not a guarantee. i'd bet on greentree over sennecke. imo ps i like strong skaters.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
all you guys are excited sennecke is gonna grow, ? is he going to score like boldy? not a guarantee. i'd bet on greentree over sennecke. imo ps i like strong skaters.
If true, then you should be liking Sennecke. He is a better skater by a good bit, and projects to improve more than Greentree in that area.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Greentree's skating is the issue; that will be what will hold him back. He plods, his edge work isn't great, and he doesn't have a strong first few steps.

I think he has the chance to be that top-6 line driver because he is doing that now on a bad CHL team. If he was a part of a top tier team he'd probably a top 10 pick because his stats (he lead his team by a lot) would be even better.

I didn't realize Greentree had moved up to 16th in the consensus rankings, I though he was still in the 20s.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Greentree's skating is the issue; that will be what will hold him back. He plods, his edge work isn't great, and he doesn't have a strong first few steps.

I think he has the chance to be that top-6 line driver because he is doing that now on a bad CHL team. If he was a part of a top tier team he'd probably a top 10 pick because his stats (he lead his team by a lot) would be even better.

I didn't realize Greentree had moved up to 16th in the consensus rankings, I though he was still in the 20s.
He might've climbed even higher, but ended the season with a mediocre U18 tournament. Some liken him to Jason Robertson.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I guess I could be ok with trading no further than 15, but it would sting if whoever is drafted at 13/14 becomes a reliable player.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Something tells me that the Wild will pick MBN if he's available, even though he's talking more about other teams. Guerin guy, power forward who shoots missiles, looks NHL ready, also clicked with Zucc at the Worlds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad