2024 NHL Draft Picks 14, 42, 43, 76, 108, 109, 161, 172, 204 (Draft on 6/28 and 6/29)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Ostlund just looks tiny on the ice, whereas I don't see that with Catton. Ostlund looks like he'll either a 2nd liner or totally bust. Catton seems like he'll be a 1C, or 2C at worst. His bust factor is much, much lower.

I really don't see many similarities at all -- Catton would be unique in our prospect pool, imo, so I wouldn't imagine them passing on him because they already have Ostlund, That frankly sounds like insane logic.
I never said they would pass on Catton because they have Ostlund.

I was saying that Catton has a very similar size profile as Ostlund and Savoie (and Benson) at the time of the draft. And if you think that Ostlund and Savoie are too small to play center in the NHL, there is a decent probability that Catton will have that same issue.

I've read more than a couple of draft write ups that compare Catton to Benson and talked about how Catton could have issues playing center in the NHL due to his size.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I snipped out the parts about Catton.

Just as there is a lack of consensus on the best defenseman in the draft, there is a lack of consensus on who is the next best forward in this draft after Celebrini. You have the three WHL forwards in Spokane’s Berkly Catton, who is dynamic but 5-foot-10, the competitive goal scorer Tij Iginla, and the 6-3 center in Lindstrom who can fly and is highly physical. There is the dynamic 5-11 SKA winger Ivan Demidov. And then you have 6-2 winger Beckett Sennecke, who was lights out in the OHL playoffs.

Executive 1: “I do have a concern on Lindstrom that you’re just getting a second-line two-way guy. His tools are outstanding but I don’t see the high-end skill and sense to score a lot in the NHL. They’re small but my lean is to Catton or Demidov because they have so much offense.”

Executive 2: “Catton looks like a can’t-miss top-line forward. He could be a first-line center. I don’t say this lightly about 5-10 forwards, because so few of them can stay in the middle, but I’d be surprised if he wasn’t a 1C in the NHL.”

Executive 3: “I’d take Catton or Iginla. They’re highly skilled guys who compete, play fast, put the puck in the net and were excellent in the WHL. Give me a break where all the lists have Demidov. He’s lighting up the MHL, but that league is so bad. Michkov was great versus men over there and went seventh.”

Executive 7: “The disrespect I see for Catton is crazy. He scored 110 points, Captain Canada at the Hlinka where he dominated, is a dynamic play-driving center. If he were two inches taller he’s the no questions asked No. 2 pick.”

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I snipped out the parts about Catton.

What nonsense about the MHL. Especially about the playoffs, when there are guys 20+ playing there and all the other best young players from the KHL and VHL. Demidov tore up the playoffs and won the cup.

I'd easily take Demidov after Celebrini over any player in this draft.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
After they get Gabrielor’s spreadsheets.
1718208154536.png

We'll have a copy of some key data anyways ;)

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I never said they would pass on Catton because they have Ostlund.

I was saying that Catton has a very similar size profile as Ostlund and Savoie (and Benson) at the time of the draft. And if you think that Ostlund and Savoie are too small to play center in the NHL, there is a decent probability that Catton will have that same issue.

I've read more than a couple of draft write ups that compare Catton to Benson and talked about how Catton could have issues playing center in the NHL due to his size.
I know what you're saying -- that he'd be reductant. I'm saying that I don't think he will be because he's notably different than Benson, Savoie, Ostlund, or Kulich.

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I know what you're saying -- that he'd be reductant. I'm saying that I don't think he will be because he's notably different than Benson, Savoie, Ostlund, or Kulich.

If Catton falls to us and the Sabres pick him I'll be happy. There are a few picks I like in that 11 spot. I'm trying to not get to attached to any of them because we might trade it too and I don't want my heart broken.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Maybe, I just thought he hadn't played center this season. I wonder where he'll play in Rochester. It seems the experiment with Kulich at center didn't work out.

Depends how you look at it. For Kulichs individual development it was a success. If you were looking to groom him for NHL Center.... not so much.

Reactions: SonofHerb

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Depends how you look at it. For Kulichs individual development it was a success. If you were looking to groom him for NHL Center.... not so much.
Well, in that sense, it’s unlikely that Kulich will play center in the NHL.

Reactions: Beerz

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If Catton falls to us and the Sabres pick him I'll be happy. There are a few picks I like in that 11 spot. I'm trying to not get to attached to any of them because we might trade it too and I don't want my heart broken.
I can almost guarantee that I'll be happy with the pick since there are a lot of prospects I really like who are supposed to go in that range...and some who will fall there.

The only outcome I don't like is trading it for Laughton, LOL

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Pronman on Sabres Live today discussing the Sabres full prospect pool that KA will have to start to sort this out soon.

Mentioned Solberg in Norway and the debate if a player from the Norwegian league would warrant #11.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Solberg is a riser which they like. I just can’t make the board fall in a way that he ends up near the BPA. I know their board is their board…I just don’t see it. Someone a tier ahead will be there. Unless they trade down as part of a larger deal for a roster player. Because at say…18…all day long. At 11 they’d be passing on at least four guys I like a lot more no matter how the board falls.

I don’t care about redundancy’s with forwards either. They need to make trades with prospects involved anyway. If Catton falls and it makes them more willing to swing a big trade with a top prospect or two…GREAT.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Adams could trade down and get, say, a top-6 forward. St. Louis has #16.

Example: #11+ for Buch + #16

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
MBN is Brandsegg-Nygard? Who is his style of play in the NHL? Is he better than, say, Sennecke?

Depends on what you want. I want a rabid forechecker who can fit in with skill guys and mine pucks for them. Sennecke might be the more talented dangler, may have the higher season scoring totals.

As for style, Lekhonen is the one that seems to fit when I watch him and I've seen public space folks make.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Depends on what you want. I want a rabid forechecker who can fit in with skill guys and mine pucks for them. Sennecke might be the more talented dangler, may have the higher season scoring totals.

As for style, Lekhonen is the one that seems to fit when I watch him and I've seen public space folks make.
Sounds good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad