2024 NHL Draft Picks 14, 42, 43, 76, 108, 109, 161, 172, 204 (Draft on 6/28 and 6/29)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Staring to get on the MBN train as we get closer to the draft
I find it so odd that no one is mocking him to Buffalo, considering our needs.

The whole draft prospect ranking and mock draft "industry" is so hive-minded and uniform in their opinions that it's hard to really trust any of them.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I find it so odd that no one is mocking him to Buffalo, considering our needs.

The whole draft prospect ranking and mock draft "industry" is so hive-minded and uniform in their opinions that it's hard to really trust any of them.

I remember years ago the number of mocks that were Jamie Oleksiak to Buffalo because he was really tall, just like Tyler Myers! So that was the connection - tall.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’m actually glad he’s not moving up public mocks yet. Don’t want another Simashev situation where people catch on to his rise and then he’s gone way earlier than expected. He should be in play at 11 so we can see their choice (assuming they keep the pick). I’d rather him be seen as that guy at 15. As we get closer to the draft the good mocks start reflecting more rumblings and less well…he’s in everyone’s top 12 so I have to put him here.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I’m actually glad he’s not moving up public mocks yet. Don’t want another Simashev situation where people catch on to his rise and then he’s gone way earlier than expected. He should be in play at 11 so we can see their choice (assuming they keep the pick). I’d rather him be seen as that guy at 15. As we get closer to the draft the good mocks start reflecting more rumblings and less well…he’s in everyone’s top 12 so I have to put him here.
Personally, I prefer the other Norwegian. Who also fits your description.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Personally, I prefer the other Norwegian. Who also fits your description.

I like both yet can't see Solberg at 11 even if there is a crazy mad run on D-men through most of the top 10. My usual thing is finding someone to watch and thinking "hey, I like this guy!" and then they rise out of the position I thought would be a possible pick location. Solberg at 43 was my old hope. Now it sounds like he might get into the late teens or early 20's. MBN at 11? Teams fans above 11 are talking about him. Sennecke rising? f***, there is a Montreal blogger talking about him as a good fit at 5OA. Stiga in the 2nd round? Nahhh. He's going earlier.

So the cool thing is seeing guys and having a visceral reaction to their play, knowing they likely will rise, and then seeing them drafted into other organizations. Shane Pinto? Loved that guy his draft year (mostly due to my son putting in time on him and saying "hey, watch this kid") and now it looks like he is very much the player he saw. Boldy was left shot Reinhart when I was watching him at the Program - smarts and positioning and efficient stick - and he's absolutely the player I thought and then some. Eh...

I don't get angry that these kids go places and perform. I enjoy that people that I have that gut reaction to being solid players are so often solid players.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I like both yet can't see Solberg at 11 even if there is a crazy mad run on D-men through most of the top 10. My usual thing is finding someone to watch and thinking "hey, I like this guy!" and then they rise out of the position I thought would be a possible pick location. Solberg at 43 was my old hope. Now it sounds like he might get into the late teens or early 20's. MBN at 11? Teams fans above 11 are talking about him. Sennecke rising? f***, there is a Montreal blogger talking about him as a good fit at 5OA. Stiga in the 2nd round? Nahhh. He's going earlier.

So the cool thing is seeing guys and having a visceral reaction to their play, knowing they likely will rise, and then seeing them drafted into other organizations. Shane Pinto? Loved that guy his draft year (mostly due to my son putting in time on him and saying "hey, watch this kid") and now it looks like he is very much the player he saw. Boldy was left shot Reinhart when I was watching him at the Program - smarts and positioning and efficient stick - and he's absolutely the player I thought and then some. Eh...

I don't get angry that these kids go places and perform. I enjoy that people that I have that gut reaction to being solid players are so often solid players.
Stian has been my favorite dman to watch in this draft. And his skill set is basically non-existent in the org. And he's a riser. I draft him at 11 all day.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Stian has been my favorite dman to watch in this draft. And his skill set is basically non-existent in the org. And he's a riser. I draft him at 11 all day.

MBN also has things that no one else in the prospect pool do regarding forechecking tenacity and physical game. Something in the water in Norway back in '06?

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
I like him too. Stian is just my favorite.
I have MBN ahead of Solberg as well (mainly due to handedness). But I have a much easier time taking him at #11 then I would Levshunov at #2 or Parekh in the top 10. The latter two have so many red flags whereas with Stian I see as one of the safest and predictable picks this year (along with MBN and a few others).

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
They can’t talk culture and then draft someone like Connelly.
Clearly the consensus on this board is that Connelly is DND, but the devil's advocate in me is curious.

This summer we're talking about adding edge, meanness, even violence to a team that has earned and seemingly sought a reputation for being chickenshit. Do we not need a few more psychos in the mix? I understand that some view Connelly as a more extreme case, but I've known plenty of problem kids who eventually grew up and channeled their crazy into effective intensity. And he's a freaky offensive talent to go along with his screw loose.

Speaking of Beane, after the draft he said something about always having to balance the roster with both the alter boys and the dawgs/crazies. Florida has a lot of crazies by today's NHL standards. I'm not saying that bullying teammates and making sketchy tweets equals becoming the next Sam Bennett, but some team is going to draft Connelly, likely in the first round, and attempt to mold him into a decent adult. I don't necessarily buy that the Sabres have to be the ones staking out the moral high ground.

Reactions: Slangston

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Clearly the consensus on this board is that Connelly is DND, but the devil's advocate in me is curious.

This summer we're talking about adding edge, meanness, even violence to a team that has earned and seemingly sought a reputation for being chickenshit. Do we not need a few more psychos in the mix? I understand that some view Connelly as a more extreme case, but I've known plenty of problem kids who eventually grew up and channeled their crazy into effective intensity. And he's a freaky offensive talent to go along with his screw loose.

Speaking of Beane, after the draft he said something about always having to balance the roster with both the alter boys and the dawgs/crazies. Florida has a lot of crazies by today's NHL standards. I'm not saying that bullying teammates and making sketchy tweets equals becoming the next Sam Bennett, but some team is going to draft Connelly, likely in the first round, and attempt to mold him into a decent adult. I don't necessarily buy that the Sabres have to be the ones staking out the moral high ground.

If that's the problem with the kid.. sketchy tweets and a little verbal hazing than I see it as a non-issue ... but I doubt Pegula does.

Just keep your mouth shut Kevyn

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Bennett isn't a jerk off the ice. Connelly has talent but so do lots of players - so why deal with that headache? He's like an Evander Kane as far as lots of talent but too much of a distraction. If someone is going to draft Connelly, it's going to be a team in the bottom of the round or with an extra second who needs cheap talent and has a strong and veteran team culture and believes that they can fit him in. The Sabres are too young, drafting too high, and still culture building. I'm positive Connelly is on the DND list.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Sneaky on ice? Sure. But in real life? No thanks.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Bennett isn't a jerk off the ice. Connelly has talent but so do lots of players - so why deal with that headache? He's like an Evander Kane as far as lots of talent but too much of a distraction. If someone is going to draft Connelly, it's going to be a team in the bottom of the round or with an extra second who needs cheap talent and has a strong and veteran team culture and believes that they can fit him in. The Sabres are too young, drafting too high, and still culture building. I'm positive Connelly is on the DND list.
Of course lots have talent, but plenty of evaluators have judged him to have more talent than all but 5-10 players in the draft. There's seems to be a bit of a moral panic stemming from the Hockey Canada stuff, the Blackhawks, Mitchell Miller, etc. Personally, I don't think what Connelly did as a young teen should be bundled in with all that.

He's also 3-4 years away from playing in the NHL. If the Sabres remain young and without a strong culture by the time he would be onboarding to the big team, we have far bigger problems. I don't think he's the right pick at 11, so much of this is moot, but I also don't think he's a ruined human who deserves to be blacklisted. But if we trade down to 18-20, I'd be very interested to see your positivity tested.

He's been doing all the "work" as they say, in terms of PR/DEI rehabilitation. The quotes in this article from those involved who don't stand to benefit from his success or failure sound genuine to me, but none of us can know for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slangston and Beerz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad