GDT: 2024 NHL Draft (June 28 - June 29, Las Vegas Sphere)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

Love picks like this. Team-first big dudes going all-out.
Yeah, love this pick. Great value. His rise this past year was crazy and his trajectory looks like it will continue cause he just kept getting better last year up to the end of the season. I've also read a couple places he's a shoe in for the "C" next season. Rare for a foreigner in the CHL.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Gotta invite these two guys into rookie camp and put them on a line with Satan:

Jack Christ​

St. Cloud Norsemen
Forward -- shoots L
Born Dec 22 2005 -- Chaska, MN
[18 yrs. ago]
Height 5.09 -- Weight 170 [175 cm/77 kg]

Daylen Moses​

Sarnia Sting
Center -- shoots R
Born Jun 13 2005 -- Ottawa, ONT
[19 yrs. ago]
Height 6.02 -- Weight 180 [188 cm/82 kg

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia

Washington Capitals: B-

I’ve had a hard time wrapping my head around taking Terik Parascak at No. 17, but I liked Washington’s second day a lot more. Cole Hutson, Leon Muggli, Ilya Protas, Eriks Mateiko and Nicholas Kempf all have legit chances to play games in the NHL.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Just getting home and pouring over todays draft results. My quick thoughts as I sort thru it:

1. Getting a 2nd for Malenstyn is a great return, especially so early in the round. Best of luck in Buffalo, Beck. Solid trade, moved a largely replaceable player for a good draft pick.

2. They went for the D too early in the 2nd, especially when there were better players available. All of Artamanov, Howe, and Stiga were available at 43 (and Stiga was still available at 52). I'm never big on drafting on need over BPA, but especially given that they had acquired an additional 2nd I wish they would have used 43 for a higher upside player that was still on the board. This isn't to say that Colt Hutson isn't a high upside player, but I thought there were some real gems of forwards available.

3. Don't have much of a read on Muggli (I'm not going to pretend I watch Swiss hockey lol), so I guess I'll trust the scouts on that one. We did seem to draft him a little before where most rankings had him, but not egregiously so.

4. Family picks are always a bit weird to me, but I guess we can hope that Ilya is as good as his older brother. He's certainly got the size. Him playing in NA this year did raise his profile a fair bit, but the Caps grabbed him way ahead of most rankings. And it does sting that they missed Mews by 1 pick here, but that's not Protas' fault.

5. Mateiko is a good flyer of a pick for this late in the 3rd round. Odds are that he doesn't really put it together and amount to much in the NHL, but that's the same deal for anyone drafted this late. At least with Mateiko there's a conceivable way he could put his size and strength to good use and become a power forward or grinder. He probably won't pan out, but he's the right type of gamble to make.

6. 6'2" goalie in the 4th round, NCAA commit at Notre Dame. NCAA goalies scare me a bit, because you don't want to rush goalies into the minors when you don't have a real spot for them, but the longer you let them stew in the NCAA the easier it is for them to walk away via free agency. But fingers crossed he pans out well enough that they can sign him before that happens.

7. Consider the Kempf picked kicked off a little bit of a run on goalies in the 4th, I am kinda bummed that we didn't take Gamzin instead (who the Islanders took right after). I've seen very little of him, but he had some incredible stats in 13 games played in the KHL this year as an 21 year old (and has impressive VHL numbers as well). Not sure what his contract status is, but if the Islanders can get him over to North America, he seems like a fast track prospect.

8. Petr Sikora AND Miroslav Satan!?! Did we time warp back to 2003 while I wasn't looking? :biglaugh:

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
People are mixed on Terik, but here's a RedWings blogger that's pissed Stevie Y took MBN over both Eiserman and Terik. No idea if this guy is worth reading, but he pulled into my Google feed, so the borg thinks he is.

There was no way I would have taken Brandsegg-Nygard over Eiserman, and as I wrote this piece, Terik Parasak just went to the Washington Capitals. Another player I would have taken over Brandsegg-Nygard, to the point I even wrote about it earlier in the month.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia

Overtime winners

Washington Capitals

Between Andrew Cristall a year ago and Terik Parascak and Cole Hutson to start their draft this year, the Capitals have started to show they’re unafraid to take players who look and play a bit outside of convention. Given the lack of skill within their pool before they made those picks, I like the approach. They each come with some risk, but all three of these kids have hit potential relative to where they were selected (more so in Cristall’s and Hutson’s cases).

After Parascak and Hutson, I liked their selections of Swiss defenseman Leon Muggli at No. 52 and big Latvian forward Eriks “Moose” Mateiko at No. 90. Mateiko is an awesome kid whom I expect to be named captain of the Saint John Sea Dogs next year (very rare for an import). He’s one of the most improved players in this class over the last couple of years and has always played well when I’ve watched him, both in the Q and for Latvia.

Ilya Protas at No. 75 was a little rich for me, but the Caps obviously have a relationship with the family and like him.

Nicholas Kempf is a worthwhile pick. Goalies can have a tough time at the NTDP, staying in games and playing behind leaky defenses at times. The defensemen in this NTDP age group didn’t do him any favors at times, either, and I thought he was consistently decent this year. Might be a backup.

Miroslav Satan is absolutely gigantic and has some question marks, but the seventh round is where you say “screw it” and take a player like that. I liked watching sixth-rounder Petr Sikora this year as well, even if he’s a long shot.

Love the Hutson pick in particular, though.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
It's always kind of funny how every year any prospect thread for a Caps pick turns into a dead zone. Like, all the people talking up Hutson just vanished when he was taken. It's my favorite draft tradition

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
It's always kind of funny how every year any prospect thread for a Caps pick turns into a dead zone. Like, all the people talking up Hutson just vanished when he was taken. It's my favorite draft tradition

Other way around too. Habs fans have vanished from Iginla/Cristall -conversation since they didn't actually pick Tij at 5. For weeks it was made sure everyone knew how Iginla carried Cristall around and was Kelowna's best player all season despite finishing what, 30 points behind.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Parascak went from u18 minor hockey in his 16 year old season to over 100 points in the Dub in his 17 year old season. That's an INCREDIBLE production jump for a draft eligible, comparable to what Alex DeBrincat did going from Lake Forest Academy (Illinois HS Prep) to the Erie Otters in the O. I had Parascak at 13 on my final top 100 board.

Parascak is a Toffoli-Hyman hybrid: finds the soft spots on the ice extremely well, bangs in a lot of dirty, in tight goals, has an underrated shot. His skating concerns are quite overblown, as once he gets up to speed, he's an above average skater. Great hockey IQ and the Capitals are quite confident in their Dub scouting, so I think this was a great gamble to take.

Getting Hutson (PP1 QB potential, very good offensive D) in the mid 2nd and Muggli (poised all around pro D already) in the late 2nd was great value IMHO. Sure Stiga might have been a better option at one of those spots, but nothing to complain about here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad