GDT: 2024 NHL Draft (June 28 - June 29, Las Vegas Sphere)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
The only pick I think I actually hate is the Muggli pick. Couple reaches this year but he's a wasted pick for me. Our dumb preference to Swiss leagues rears its ugly head again. It's almost as lame as the WHL love. Muggli has absolutely 0 offense in his game. He tries to play a shutdown style but at his size that style probably doesn't translate well at the NHL level. He's absolutely average at just about everything. Hard pill to swallow with guys like Mews, Stiga several really talented goaltender and even overager Pulkkinen as a much better option still on the board. This will go down as a shoulda/woulda/coulda pick in a few years.

Seen him play many times? Why isn't there any offense in his game?

His 12 points is actually among D most ever by a 17-year old in NLA history. More than Roman Josi.

Give him a chance...

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Seen him play many times? Why isn't there any offense in his game?

His 12 points is actually among D most ever by a 17-year old in NLA history. More than Roman Josi.

Give him a chance...
Actually I have, I usually take in all the games from the U18 and U20s. In all fairness I've only watched highlight/lowlights of his NL games but I'm unimpressed with him playing against his peers on the international stage. Here's a few other people who agree with his lack of offense. You can find plenty more examples if you look through his scouting reports online.

Mature and smart left-handed defenceman who regularly wins battles against former NHLers. Lacks offensive pop, but should translate well to the NHL as a bottom-pair penalty-killer.
There could be some improvements to his game in the offensive zone. Starting with the puck, he is a good option for the first-pass play, but once settled in the zone, he isn’t an offensive threat. He has a decent shot but doesn’t utilize it to his full potential. He can hold the line and make a smart pinch but always leans toward the defensive responsibility first, which is hard to criticize someone for.
Muggli is a bit of a tweener. He doesn't have enough offense to his game to project as a power-play option and while he plays hard, he's still only about 170 pounds at the moment, making it difficult for him to log heavy defensive minutes.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Actually I have, I usually take in all the games from the U18 and U20s. In all fairness I've only watched highlight/lowlights of his NL games but I'm unimpressed with him playing against his peers on the international stage. Here's a few other people who agree with his lack of offense. You can find plenty more examples if you look through his scouting reports online.
I find it hard to believe you focused on this one random guy enough to accurately scout him on the International stage against a lot of named guys…..

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida

How complete do you want these guys to be at 17? At that age and late in the 2nd round, you're looking at what a guy can be more than what he is right now. Muggli is a smart and quick defender who showed up big last year.

So much focus on Parascak's skating when defense is where it matters most. It's like comparing the speed and agility of a wide receiver versus a cornerback. The guy that has to do it backwards while reacting in time to every move his opponent makes has the harder job by a longshot. The guy going forward excels more by just being a disciplined and creative/improvisational route-runner -- the fundamentals matter less.

Same with hockey. Muggli's quick feet and reaction times are excellent. The NHL is getting faster and faster. You need D that can counter that speed. Muggli's footwork and agility are potentially exactly that, and he's got the brain and ranginess you'd want to leverage those things even more.

Reactions: Kalopsia

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
How complete do you want these guys to be at 17? At that age and late in the 2nd round, you're looking at what a guy can be more than what he is right now. Muggli is a smart and quick defender who showed up big last year.

So much focus on Parascak's skating when defense is where it matters most. It's like comparing the speed and agility of a wide receiver versus a cornerback. The guy that has to do it backwards while reacting in time to every move his opponent makes has the harder job by a longshot. The guy going forward excels more by just being a disciplined and creative/improvisational route-runner -- the fundamentals matter less.

Same with hockey. Muggli's quick feet and reaction times are excellent. The NHL is getting faster and faster. You need D that can counter that speed. Muggli's footwork and agility are potentially exactly that, and he's got the brain and ranginess you'd want to leverage those things even more.
I don't think anyone is a complete player at that age, but you want to see some signs of life by D-0 in particular area or there's slim chance you're going to see any of it as they progress. He's an undersized shutdown guy who's probably going to struggle to become anything more than a 6-7 at the NHL level. I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up becoming a long term NL player in the future. Here's to hoping he proves me wrong.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Vegas have an open phone with us today? 6' 7", dang
If you knew the game you'd be in it.

The fax machine hotline to McPhee remains intact.

If Son of Sam Satan doesnt hit I will be disappointed he is not living up to his name, and glorious height. Just don't tell me that gentile giant Jeff Schultz was his childhood idol.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad