GDT: 2024 NHL Draft - (1st Round - 6/28 at 7PM ET and Remainder of Draft - 6/29 at 11:30AM ET)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
No one wants that hayes contract. The worst contract of all time. What gm signed him to that deal in first place?
There are worse contracts, but I and others bitched about that signing the minute it happened and then all that summer. We were told we were being overly negative, and not just by the usual suspects.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Final thoughts for now: The Buium snub bugs me and will always bug me, but I’m going to refrain from being too pissed about the rest of the draft for another couple years. I think there is a decent amount of potential in most of these picks, and I can squint and see plausible scenarios for most of them, even if they’re not the most likely outcomes (the most likely outcome is that they all bust, even the ones I wanted in rounds 2+).

I remember being very pleased with the 2015 draft, thinking we had secured our franchise defender in Provorov, top line forward in Konecny when he fell (at least that one worked), and taken high upside shots on David Kase and Cooper Marody. Similar in 2016, picks like Laberge, Allison, Hogberg, and Laczinsky all felt like solid shots at later round talent. Only one of those picks actually worked.

To use David Kase as an example, that felt like a great pick on draft day. And it was a solid bet on an undervalued player, but he’s been as useful as Tyrell Goulbourne, and Kaprizov was taken later that round.

Similar, Wade Allison also felt like a pretty good pick. But you had Filip Hronek one selection later, which would have felt like a total waste on draft day.

I don’t think they did themselves many favors, but I will give this some time before declaring it indicative of a total organizational failure. It could be — and probably will be — but I’ve followed too many drafts to do that today.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
There are worse contracts, but I and others bitched about that signing the minute it happened and then all that summer. We were told we were being overly negative, and not just by the usual suspects.
Don't forget they gave up a mid round pick for the right to give him that contract. :laugh:

Reactions: mja

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Today is the least I've ever felt about the Flyers organization. I think we all have our level of incompetency that we'll accept. Today mine was reached. This will be the first year I don't fly back to Philly for opening night in YEARS.
Just wait.

We still have 1-2 bad trades to look forward to and the re-signing of 36 year old EJ

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
I can’t believe he’s making that mistake in 2024. What a crusty old dope.

Also, Tanev is more beat up than your average 34 year old NHLer. It will be a miracle if he’s still healthy and effective in 4 years, let alone 7.

It would be a miracle if he makes it 2 years… love it. Hope it’s for big money.

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'd at least entertain the idea of wingspan and arm length being important for certain types of defenders, but raw height has very little benefit in hockey.

Like Provorov was around 6'1 but had really short arms so his size wasn't really useful for taking away space.

The moment Briere got inside Chara's stick range he gave him absolute fits, and even bodied him around.

You'd think that experience would be informative

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad