Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Jani Hakanpaa - 2 years 1.5M AAV (in progress)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Lilly, Robertson, Jarnkrok and Kampf are all in play.
Liljegren's a tough one to move because the blueline doesn't have a lot of youth on it (particularly with offensive upside). Robertson may have unfortunately written his ticket out of town due to the trade request. Moving a Kampf or Jarnkrok isn't going to accomplish all that much other than to potentially create a bit of cap space. Of course, Treliving obviously is in on signing Jeff Skinner.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Are there any stats that show Lyubushkin is good and worth over 3M?

As a comparison. Hakanpaa is a much better PKer (not even close), a better goal scorer (not saying much) and he also see's better quality opponents but bot have similar 5 on 5 defense efficiency. Lyubushkin is a better passer and a faster skater (my own scout eyes).

100% this is a guy I wanted when he was a UFA couple year ago - loved him then, love him now.

Finally, a Treliving move I can wholeheartedly appreciate and get behind. Fantastic value for money.

I take this guy over Boosh every day and twice on Sunday; forget the size difference, Hack is a heavy 225 and handles the puck better than Boosh. Then you're telling me he's 1 year less term and half the cap hit? Sign me right up.

I dislike every single thing Tree has done so far this offseason so I'm pleasantly surprised at this business.

Reactions: ruaware41

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Do you really trust Brad Treliving to A: Make a smart trade involving Marner that doesn't involve crippling assets coming back and B: Use that added cap space wisely? I sure as hell don't. I'd rather the Leafs hang on to Marner so Treliving can't acquire some James Neal/Milan Lucic types.
I don't even offer Marner the minimum.

Some players will remain one dimensional and don't have the DNA to win when its time to play in the trenches.

• Haha
Reactions: Isaac Nootin

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I don't even offer Marner the minimum.

Some players will remain one dimensional and don't have the DNA to win when its time to play in the trenches.
Okay, fine. And what about the more important part? Do you trust a man who has a history of making terrible decisions to not make terrible decisions with the cap space? Or do you think he's going to throw that money at people like Reaves, Tanev, Klingberg and OEL?

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Liljegren's a tough one to move because the blueline doesn't have a lot of youth on it (particularly with offensive upside). Robertson may have unfortunately written his ticket out of town due to the trade request. Moving a Kampf or Jarnkrok isn't going to accomplish all that much other than to potentially create a bit of cap space. Of course, Treliving obviously is in on signing Jeff Skinner.
They need the cap space so moving on from Jarnkrok and Kampf gives them the space to improve their bottom six which have been lacking in the playoffs and Lilly’s a $3M #7 on a Berube team. They’re in a four year window to win so youth isn’t the priority on the backend.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
100% this is a guy I wanted when he was a UFA couple year ago - loved him then, love him now.

Finally, a Treliving move I can wholeheartedly appreciate and get behind. Fantastic value for money.

I take this guy over Boosh every day and twice on Sunday; forget the size difference, Hack is a heavy 225 and handles the puck better than Boosh. Then you're telling me he's 1 year less term and half the cap hit? Sign me right up.

I dislike every single thing Tree has done so far this offseason so I'm pleasantly surprised at this business.
nailed it. Not going to lie I haven't watched him much but 6'7 222lbs seems quite skinny. Wonder if the NHL.com stats are outdated. Interested to see how he fits in.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
This is a really good signing. He's past his prime, but if he's playing bottom pair minutes 40-60 games this season I think we're getting excellent value.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I really like this signing after they let the other big boys walk. It seemed like they had found something that worked and then they pivoted away. The money is really good for what I think he brings. More TOI the last two years than Boosh and more last season than Edmundson on a much stronger team. He was around 19:00 in Dallas so should be able to be up in the top 4 for games where Lilly is not the best fit. And as other have pointed out he logged big PK minutes on a better PK unit than the Leafs had. I am almost thinking "whats the catch?" but at $1.5M I don't care:nod:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's a little weird the Stars decided to let him go and sign Lyubushkin for 2 years instead.

They seem like a similar level of player too and Hakanpaa comes in so much cheaper.

I think Dubas actually tried to sign this guy but the Stars scooped him in 2021. He also came from the Blues system originally but doesn't look like he had crossed paths with Berube.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tanev is going to miss games, Rielly has been missing games last few seasons, Liljegren is unproven. Good chance we will need 9 dmen again this year so having 7 dmen is a good thing

For me, Liljegren, Robertson and the 2025 second round pick is basically a place holder upgrade waiting to happen. So I could see a decent puck mover brought in to really fix the 6 man unit at some point with Hakanpaa in the 6-7th defense role.

With big bodies like Tanev, Hakanpaa, Benoit, OEL I could also see a world where a Niemela coming up would be well protected and play a puck moving role on a rookie audition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad