Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
I don't quite understand why is it that we think we needed defensive upgrade. Our defensive upgarde that was needed was an offensive d-man who can provide offense in additional to rielly and play #1PP unit.
Careful what you wish for...in case they wheel Klingberg back in on a wheelchair from Robidas Island at league minimum to keep Murray company.

• Haha
Reactions: PromisedLand

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
2 more deals for the fun of it:
Robertson + Kampf + B prospect for Pinto
Marner + Liljegren for Pietrangelo + Roy
And sign skinner

Skinner - Matthews - Domi
Knies - Pinto - Nylander
McMann - Tavares - Roy
Dewar - Holmberg - Jarnkrok

Rielly - Pietro/Tanev
McCabe - Tanev/Pietro
Benoit - OEL
Timmins

Woll
Stolarz

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
really? that's truly a shame if that's the case.

honestly i know everyone is like. they are headed to Utah but in all honesty this should have been cleared up ages ago. (even if we still ended up with Berube and I would be fine w/that - at least everything was on the table).

Q can coach different kinds of games. berube needs his forwards to forecheck hard and play north south, play the boards and lay body.

marner and to certain extent Nylander cannot really play berube style. Tavares is too slow to play berube style that is about 30M+ in cap space that cannot play Berube's style 100%. Except for Matthews the other 3 core pieces who take lion's share of the cap cannot play that style.

I hope I am proven wrong, but we have 8+ years of evidencce watching Nylander and especially marner shy away from contact; and worst marner making ridiculous, costly and glaring mistakes costing Leafs games in the playoffs.

I put a few examples together in Marner thread if interested you can check that out

Reactions: Gilmour1996

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yes some players would love to be in Toronto. But the reality is most don’t. They don’t want to get shit on daily. And let’s be honest in Philly and in Boston the hockey teams are like the third/fourth most popular teams. US Media give a shit about hockey. ESPN didnt even cover it until this year.

and again i think that's the problem. but not with Toronto (or "BIG Hockey Market") but with the players etc.

I don't understand/nor comprehend how you want to be paid so much money - and then not want to play in the markets that's responsible for you making that much money. you say poop on and I'll acknowledge there are times when the media basically just pulls something to make something up but there are alsoa lot of times when the media has the players back. or when it comes to contracts etc they are the one pushing up the numbers etc. When they want to be all dealt or get their demands on -they don't mind the media then. i remember a LOT of players who said they've played here and it's truly not as bad as people assume it is [and that's including the players who actually got it badly in the media]. to a man that's been said. So in my opinion it's very overblown.

to me it really feels like a lot of players just wanna play in a place where all hockey is, is "black thing in net. big hit. we win. yay" they don't want to play in markets where the fans for the most part actually know what's going on.which would be okay if you know they didn't want 50% of the revenue, drive up salary expectations and all of that jazz.

you mentioned salary before. but i think when you sit out (or threaten to sit out, or state you are worth X amount - and then you don't perform as much, i do think your salary should be mentioned) - but that's not even the medias fault. I think that's the PA for wanting salaries to be public (why? so they could be used as comparisons).

i respect people's choices not to be here. but i truly don't get nor respect people's desire in this league - to not want to promote the game and make EVERY market a big market like Toronto. that should be the goal, not be a famous nobody.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Tre:

good-movies-rule-gmr.gif

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
and again i think that's the problem. but not with Toronto (or "BIG Hockey Market") but with the players etc.

I don't understand/nor comprehend how you want to be paid so much money - and then not want to play in the markets that's responsible for you making that much money. you say poop on and I'll acknowledge there are times when the media basically just pulls something to make something up but there are alsoa lot of times when the media has the players back. or when it comes to contracts etc they are the one pushing up the numbers etc. When they want to be all dealt or get their demands on -they don't mind the media then. i remember a LOT of players who said they've played here and it's truly not as bad as people assume it is [and that's including the players who actually got it badly in the media]. to a man that's been said. So in my opinion it's very overblown.

to me it really feels like a lot of players just wanna play in a place where all hockey is, is "black thing in net. big hit. we win. yay" they don't want to play in markets where the fans for the most part actually know what's going on.which would be okay if you know they didn't want 50% of the revenue, drive up salary expectations and all of that jazz.

you mentioned salary before. but i think when you sit out (or threaten to sit out, or state you are worth X amount - and then you don't perform as much, i do think your salary should be mentioned) - but that's not even the medias fault. I think that's the PA for wanting salaries to be public (why? so they could be used as comparisons).

i respect people's choices not to be here. but i truly don't get nor respect people's desire in this league - to not want to promote the game and make EVERY market a big market like Toronto. that should be the goal, not be a famous nobody.

Hockey players are interesting characters. In all other leagues big time players wanna play in big markets

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Considering Boosh and Edmunsson went for 3.25m + 3.8m and we got Tanev and OEL for 4.5m + 3.5m I'm okay with the defense upgrade. Judging by the money spent on Skjei,Montour, Toronto wasn't close to getting them. We are better defensive team today then we were in game 7.

Toronto needs to find a way to upgrade the forward depth. They got worse in that department by losing Bert and replacing him with no one. We will see what the next couple of days bring. We are completely priced out in the 3rd line centerman department though.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Hockey players are interesting characters. In all other leagues big time players wanna play in big markets

yeah and honestly. the amount of crap that Tavares gets - at the end of the day he chose to come home for less (because SJ/NJ etc were prepared to give him more money). i'll always respect him for that. He didn't troll Toronto like Stamkos did [twice]. he never used Toronto to get his demands across and then not come here. he was quiet, respectful, made his decision and came to Toronto.

those are the types of players i want to come here.

Reactions: Kazparov

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
We do appear to be full up on cap.

There are a few moves that could be made yet - waive Reaves, trade Kampf...

... Something has to shake loose if Brad still wants to add.

Skinner signed yet? I know he has some warts but the guy can score.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Doesn’t seem like Brad is done.

We’ve got too many D. We don’t have enough scoring.

Goaltending looks set.

I’d love to sign Skinner.

Trade Timmins, Jarnkrok, Reaves for cap relief.

Reactions: fahad203

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
Kypreos saying the leafs are going to strip Tavares of the captaincy and that he's offended.
He said they are contemplating the possibility but stressed that it hasn't been decided. They then speculate Tavares would likely be offered if that happens.

Reactions: WillNy29

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
He said they are contemplating the possibility but stressed that it hasn't been decided. They then speculate Tavares would likely be offered if that happens.

He did say that he heard from people that John's not happy about the possibility. JB was speculating.

Ad

Ad

Ad