GDT: 2024 NHL Draft - (1st Round - 6/28 at 7PM ET and Remainder of Draft - 6/29 at 11:30AM ET)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild
May 26, 2012
There is a lack of urgency to acquire young talent here, while in a rebuild, that is just baffling.

Look at the Blackhawks for comparison. 3 first round picks last night. 8 top 100 picks in 2022 and 2023.

The Flyers? 5 top 100 picks in 2023, 3 top 100 picks this year. Afraid of the optics of losing, so not rewarded with Bedard, Levshunov, simply lucked into Michkov.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
It’s rather obvious that the management team was totally unprepared for a draft that would run the way that this one did. First they were stunned that their attempts to move up were rebuffed. Then when their targets didn’t fall to them they had logical fall back options. It reeks of poor preparation. This scouting team is plain incompetent as is their planning.
The first move should be the firing of Flahr. His career reeks of failure. He was brought here by a GM that was fired. Why he was retained is lost on me. Now that chicken has come home to roost. He needs to be sacked asap.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Briere being a small boi himself, it's become indisputable that Flahr, Clarke, and Godking Emperor Torts have way too much say. It's really just baffling how this team so transparently is guided by those 3 in how they steadfastly chase their archetypes while foolishly falling victim to the sunk cost fallacy. I mean it's right there! It's black and white! They're doubling down on Drysdale only because they traded for him, losing their top 3 prospect in the process. They feel they HAVE to squeeze all the juice from that rotten fruit. They can't just punt. From Fillpula to Drysdale to all the other assholes in between, like Hayes. It's just crazy.

Simulataneously, you have the overall directionless plodding. Say you build from the back out, and pass on one of the best dmen in the draft. Acknowledge the lack of high end skill on the team, and draft a floor player who lacks any high end tool. Look to trade up, then trade back. Trade a roster player for picks at the deadline, then trade futures for a roster player. Anyone who credits this brain trust with anything at this point is almost as out of touch as the brain trust itself. Truly, I've never seen a group of decision makers so lost. No one knows what it means or takes to win in this sport. That is so plainly shown with every decision they make. It's hilarious.

The smart teams plot the course. The other teams sail the waypoints hoping to pass the smart teams by. Then there's the Flyers, who are busy cutting holes out of the sail thinking it'll make the boat lighter and faster

I like Briere still. He’s made some good trades. Flahr clearly gets all the control. He’s done well with Michkov, Bonk, Denver. Adding Buium would appear to be a home run, but he did slip and Jett does look good and is very young. So we will see. But to me, people calling for Briere to be fired is premature. If anyone it’s Flahr based on his pre Michkov picks.

Briere has made good moves but just needs to make more of them. Going into next years draft with at least 3 1sts and 3 2nds is pretty great. Get a few more and tank.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
After sleeping on it... I feel better about the pick and I still like the trade for EDM's '25 1st, but the process still feels absolutely wrong. They are in no position to be drafting for need, even if there are certain aspects of Luchanko's scouting report that are exactly what they need down the middle (high IQ, plus passing ability, good skater).

It’s rather obvious that the management team was totally unprepared for a draft that would run the way that this one did. First they were stunned that their attempts to move up were rebuffed. Then when their targets didn’t fall to them they had logical fall back options. It reeks of poor preparation. This scouting team is plain incompetent as is their planning.
The first move should be the firing of Flahr. His career reeks of failure. He was brought here by a GM that was fired. Why he was retained is lost on me. Now that chicken has come home to roost. He needs to be sacked asap.
Now that I don't agree with, if nothing else, it makes a ton of sense why they were so desperate to trade up.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
There must be a flaw in Buium that the scouts in several organizations saw or else he wouldn’t have slid as far down as he did. He sort of became a media darling. Something could be off here. Time will tell. Actually the same could be true with Eiserman.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You can be critical but they can’t be too stunned. We hear every year about teams trying to move up into the top 10 and no one ever manages to do it.

The key to getting these picks is trading NHL players for their 1st a year or two out, and hoping they have a bad season. Which they’ve been doing, but not with players good enough or without trade protection to create a big market for.

Reactions: renberg

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
After sleeping on it... I feel better about the pick and I still like the trade for EDM's '25 1st, but the process still feels absolutely wrong. They are in no position to be drafting for need, even if there are certain aspects of Luchanko's scouting report that are exactly what they need down the middle (high IQ, plus passing ability, good skater).

Now that I don't agree with, if nothing else, it makes a ton of sense why they were so desperate to trade up.
Teams rarely trade out of top ten draft positions. If the Flyers thought that they could induce CBJ or Ottawa to do that, short of being totally ripped off in the process, they were deluding theirselves. That’s incompetence

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There must be a flaw in Buium that the scouts in several organizations saw or else he wouldn’t have slid as far down as he did. He sort of became a media darling. Something could be off here. Time will tell. Actually the same could be true with Eiserman.
I like the player but I always get concerned about players like that, and you don’t know it until it’s happening. Zeev was a dropper and Jett was a riser. By and large, the advantage usually goes to the riser. Everyone went apeshit about guys like Brandon Gormley and Angelo Esposito who were supposed to be top 5 guys that fell down, were labeled steals, and turned out to be nobodies.

Reactions: renberg

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
In the past I've been able to sleep off my draft night disappointments. This one isn't going away.

It's not even a knock on Luchanko, who I bet can end up becoming a good player for us. It's a knock on trading down just for a 3rd, missing out on someone who is by most accounts is a great defenseman prospect, and Briere explaining they did so because we already have York, Drysdale, and Andrae.

This was my first serious confidence hit in Briere.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
It’s clear now that they were trying to move up for one of the big D, and then went for need at C when they didn’t get it. Jett might be a fine player, but the Flyers need high end talent in the worst way possible, so they need better than just fine. If you look at all of the lists out there that had Jett ranked the highest, they had Buium ranked so much higher than where he went.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I like the player but I always get concerned about players like that, and you don’t know it until it’s happening. Zeev was a dropper and Jett was a riser. By and large, the advantage usually goes to the riser. Everyone went apeshit about guys like Brandon Gormley and Angelo Esposito who were supposed to be top 5 guys that fell down, were labeled steals, and turned out to be nobodies.
Good points. Every draft has its players that disappoint. We’ll have to see how it shakes out. This draft was thought to be loaded on potential with six first pair defensemen. It also was to be slim on forwards after Celebrini and Demidov. If that analysis holds to be true, some clubs were seriously burned last night.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

I know you’re trying to make a larger point here, but bringing up someone like Esposito misses the point. He would be applicable if we were talking about a Nolan Patrick or Adam Jiricek because those guys “fell” due to having poor draft years on their personal scales. Buium shows none of those signs of stalled growth whatsoever and on top of that excelled in an older league in his DY.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Ah yeah such a good record at assessing draft depth. Reeks of Flahr again.

As I've been saying for many years now, nothing will change because they have changed nothing. They have to fire everyone.
Beef I was one of the original members of this thinking. No one is getting fired. We have to wait until the other thing happens. Even then I don’t know what happens

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

That’s how I kind of feel as well. I do think you take him there even if you don’t like him for the BPA value alone. He’s not going to bust that’s for sure. If he is 2nd pair then it’s still a win picking at 12 instead of 3 when he could have gone.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Im not as doom and gloom as many i see on here. I think we all agree this player would be fine if picked with 32. It seems that Danny and crew had players in mind, when they weren't there they decided to punt it to next year.

Would have thought another team would have wanted to jump ahead rather then minnesota and get a better return...if nothing was there, it is what it is. I don't like the 3rd in next years draft return for that.

I'd like to see them pick up a second today for a roster player.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Let’s get in the weeds today. Here’s every Defenseman in the top 10 of McKenzie’s final rankings who went 5+ spots later since 2013:

Zeev Buium
Noah Dobson

Remember, we’re talking about draft day falls. This has happened twice in the last 12 drafts, so please spare me the spiel about how this happens all the time. Not at the top with Defensemen. When it does happen near the top, it’s smaller wingers like Joakim Kemell.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
If one of the top skilled guys in a given draft were to be interviewed by the Flyers and simply answer "I play the game the right way," do you think that would be good enough for them to get picked?

• Haha
Reactions: BiggE

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
Im not as doom and gloom as many i see on here. I think we all agree this player would be fine if picked with 32. It seems that Danny and crew had players in mind, when they weren't there they decided to punt it to next year.
I think from a few responses afterwards with the kids being younger, a late riser (having a good WJC), etc. that it would have been a good pick in the 22-25 range. That being said as a GM and managing the draft, if this kid is a 20ish range player you move back to pick in the 20s, picking him at 13 is still bad draft management.

I really wish the Flyers would take a look across the parking lot and go take a course from Howie on how to run a draft. Its not a 1-to-1 comparison with NFL draftees being immediate contributors and most NHL draftees being a 2-4 year projection, but running a draft, their process seems more like they are trying to copy Howie without actually knowing what Howie is doing. Were trading up, were trading back, were letting the picks come to us ... then we reach for a need on someone who wont be around for 4 years.

Reactions: BiggE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad