GDT: 2024 NHL Draft - (1st Round - 6/28 at 7PM ET and Remainder of Draft - 6/29 at 11:30AM ET)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I think this at least indicates that they are planning for a real rebuild though.

That at least makes me happier that they're looking farther down the road... though I do think we should have gotten something small on top for that.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I think this at least indicates that they are planning for a real rebuild though.

That at least makes me happier that they're looking farther down the road... though I do think we should have gotten something small on top for that.
I take it as they want to be able to tell the public “look we have three first round picks this year! We’re gonna be so good!”

Just a marketing tool and a sound bite they can use.

MayonnaiseOreo

I Hate the Flyers
Apr 8, 2012
A Glass of Milk
The Oilers have McDavid and they just ditched Holland. It could pretty easily be 32.

The Michkov timer has started now. They need to amass talent now. Not in 1-2 years so that the talent can maybe hit the NHL in 7 years.
It could be but that'll be highly dependent on if they can bring back Draisaitl in 2026 and if the Nurse contract continues to be a burden. It's hard to get back to the SCF. I'm not in favor of kicking the can down the road either with Michkov coming over but getting too worked up over the 32nd pick doesn't seem worth it and it can be used as a trade piece in the future.

Reactions: santapore

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
The one thing with the Oilers.... they are one injury to Mcdavid from being a lottery team so interesting to see what the conditions are... Drai might not even be there for 2026 season so this may be a home run but I do agree we need some prospects up front......

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It could be but that'll be highly dependent on if they can bring back Draisaitl in 2026 and if the Nurse contract continues to be a burden. It's hard to get back to the SCF. I'm not in favor of kicking the can down the road either with Michkov coming over but getting too worked up over the 32nd pick doesn't seem worth it and it can be used as a trade piece in the future.

McDavid is a Lemieux/Gretzky level player. Edmonton doesn't have to work hard to have a very good chance of going really far every year.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
Other teams take BPA. Danny reaches for a Center because they bungled Cutter Gauthier.

No team compounds their own mistakes more than the Flyers. It's why they try to extend every player they trade for (Ristolainen and Macdonald).
They didn't even have to reach. The BPA at 13 was Helenius. Guaranteed center in the NHL and in tried and true Flyers fashion they said, "No. I will go with a mediocre Canadian instead". I shouldn't bash the kid yet, but it is tough not too. I know the value they passed on in both Helenius and Buium. I feel like I was duped into following them again after they took Michkov. I thought, "Different Org, Different management". Nope. Same org. Probably the same scouts. F*** it let's all just toast to endless mediocrity and accept that is their destiny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad