OT: 2024 NFL/NCAA/HS Football Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So for a person living in NYC, whats the nearby college for NCAA games? Atmosphere wise. Rutgers?

Yes! I graduated from Rutgers in 2013. I’ll give you the current breakdown on their football team:

-with the conference expansion they luckily miss playing the top tier legacy big 10 blue bloods this year and are playing the lower tier teams as well as the mid former pac 12 teams
-they have a REALLY good shot at a 9 or 10 win season based on their outstanding defense, stout offensive line, and candidate for one of the best running backs in the country in kyle monangai. They also have a better QB this year in Athan Kaliakmanis who came from Minnesota
-next year they have their best incoming recruiting class of all time which is super exciting; their coach Greg Schiano is a master at recruiting

As far as the men’s basketball team, it’s going to be one of the hottest tickets in the tri state area because they have 2 of the presumptive top-3 picks in the NBA draft next year in Dylan Harper, NJ native who’s older brother Ron starred at Rutgers and who’s dad played many years in the NBA. They also have Ace Bailey from Georgia who is an even better prospect. It’s their best recruiting class of all time so a ton of NBA scouts will be at the games as well as all the local professional athletes who eat up the college scene.
Clam nails it.

I'll just add that attendance/atmosphere wise, the football fans still have to prove themselves, while the B-ball fans have an excellent reputation. Granted the b-ball fans have an easier task with a relatively small arena at 8000K. Football is still trying to grow into it's stadium after multiple explansion's set in motion during the first Schiano tenure. But end of the day, Jersey Mike's Arena is consistently sold out and a raucous scene while SHI stadium is too often sporting a bunch of empty sections.

Rutgers football does appear to be on the upswing, but if I had to choose to attend one game this year it would be b-ball because of the 2 stud freshman clam mentioned.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He's not even the first player this year to be involved with something like that, Tank Dell got shot too earlier in the offseason in Houston. These athletes lately man, I wouldn't even leave the house at this point but it's just not practical.
Apparently the Njners kid was accosted because he was wearing a Rolex?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Good news everybody!! Taylor Swift will be at the game tonight!!

I only just realized that the NFL season starts tonight after seeing this. I used to be a big NFL fan (2nd favorite sport after NHL) but after I stopped playing fantasy football a few years back and enduring a decade plus of suck from the Giants and Jets, I've lost much of my interest beyond tuning into playoff games or the odd regular season game here and there.

Just doing some quick "research", I see the Jets are ranked 13th and Giants 31st in The Athletic's Power Rankings, while the Jets are 19th and the Giants 31st in their fan poll "Hope-O-Meter", with Jets fans having 73.2% optimism and Giants fans at 17.2%, so I'm guessing more of the same from the NY teams?

I'm primarily a Giants fan (thankfully), but like the Jets as I used to go to some of their games as a kid. Was excited for them last season with Rodgers, but should've known better. I'm ready to get back on the bandwagon if either team is remotely good again, but this isn't gonna be the year, is it?

Reactions: My3Sons

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I only just realized that the NFL season starts tonight after seeing this. I used to be a big NFL fan (2nd favorite sport after NHL) but after I stopped playing fantasy football a few years back and enduring a decade plus of suck from the Giants and Jets, I've lost much of my interest beyond tuning into playoff games or the odd regular season game here and there.

Just doing some quick "research", I see the Jets are ranked 13th and Giants 31st in The Athletic's Power Rankings, while the Jets are 19th and the Giants 31st in their fan poll "Hope-O-Meter", with Jets fans having 73.2% optimism and Giants fans at 17.2%, so I'm guessing more of the same from the NY teams?

I'm primarily a Giants fan (thankfully), but like the Jets as I used to go to some of their games as a kid. Was excited for them last season with Rodgers, but should've known better. I'm ready to get back on the bandwagon if either team is remotely good again, but this isn't gonna be the year, is it?

As a diehard Jets fan: the answer is always no. Your life got better once you stopped watching them if I had to bet :laugh:

Good news everybody!! Taylor Swift will be at the game tonight!!

You know the crazy thing though? She's probably one of the only people in the world that could bring more eyes to the sport which is an absurd statement with how good the NFL is at marketing + how big it is in general as a league

My3Sons

Sponsor
As a diehard Jets fan: the answer is always no. Your life got better once you stopped watching them if I had to bet :laugh:

You know the crazy thing though? She's probably one of the only people in the world that could bring more eyes to the sport which is an absurd statement with how good the NFL is at marketing + how big it is in general as a league
Some NHL player needs to steal her away from Kelce. Or maybe thr league should just rent her to appear at games and start putting long out of focus poorly lit shots of her in a luxury box on as many broadcasts as they can.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I personally don't understand the people that get mad at them showing Taylor Swift for 30 seconds per game lol who cares?
It’s just funny. I don’t blame the league for capitalizing. Her fans include a demographic that would otherwise not watch football and if it adds viewers and sells Kelce jerseys I completely get why it’s a story. But the reality is she’s just a spectator and she’s not even in a good spot to put her on tv typically. I can promise you I’m not watching French impressionist theatre just because Paul and Ringo are in the audience. So maybe it’s a bit of a surprise to me just how long this has gone on to this effect.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Some NHL player needs to steal her away from Kelce. Or maybe thr league should just rent her to appear at games and start putting long out of focus poorly lit shots of her in a luxury box on as many broadcasts as they can.

Kent Johnson was dating Tate McRae but I think something happened between the two of them. In all honesty, the NHL needs to do more on its own than rely on a Taylor Swift type of celebrity to sustain them better :laugh:

It’s just funny. I don’t blame the league for capitalizing. Her fans include a demographic that would otherwise not watch football and if it adds viewers and sells Kelce jerseys I completely get why it’s a story. But the reality is she’s just a spectator and she’s not even in a good spot to put her on tv typically. I can promise you I’m not watching French impressionist theatre just because Paul and Ringo are in the audience. So maybe it’s a bit of a surprise to me just how long this has gone on to this effect.

It could be a thing where some men don't want a celebrity, like you said, that tends to lead herself towards women to become a big thing in the sport. I personally don't care like ZBC but some dudes have a weird obsession of gatekeeping sports from women at any cost without realizing women are just as big of sports fans as us dudes, if not, more sometimes

My3Sons

Sponsor
Kent Johnson was dating Tate McRae but I think something happened between the two of them. In all honesty, the NHL needs to do more on its own than rely on a Taylor Swift type of celebrity to sustain them better :laugh:

It could be a thing where some men don't want a celebrity, like you said, that tends to lead herself towards women to become a big thing in the sport. I personally don't care like ZBC but some dudes have a weird obsession of gatekeeping sports from women at any cost without realizing women are just as big of sports fans as us dudes, if not, more sometimes
My wife has always enjoyed going to Devils games but she won’t go out of her way to pay attention unless me or one of thr boys tells her about a big game or story. She would still probably be included in the demographic of fans of the sport. I’m guessing most angry males who are against non-sports fans enjoying sports are on the younger side. I can’t imagine many old people like me actually care who watches or doesn’t watch anything

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
My wife has always enjoyed going to Devils games but she won’t go out of her way to pay attention unless me or one of thr boys tells her about a big game or story. She would still probably be included in the demographic of fans of the sport. I’m guessing most angry males who are against non-sports fans enjoying sports are on the younger side. I can’t imagine many old people like me actually care who watches or doesn’t watch anything

Yeah I don't get it either personally, I'll watch anything that involves professionals especially sports. I always shrugged off tennis when I was younger but it's one of my favorite sports now that one of my GF's used to play all the way up until college and introduced it to me. It's just people being weird in the long run. Swift bringing eyes to the NFL = more revenue = more money your own NFL team can spend yearly + better product.

Side note, damn possible weather delay lol

Reactions: My3Sons

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Tyreek is a huge dickhead, but this really seems like a case of cops being huge assholes
True to the 1st part…. What has been released for you to say that on the second part? All I’ve seen is him on the ground in cuffs with 3 officers around him over an apparent “moving violation”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad