Prospect Info: 2024 Montreal Canadiens Rookie Camp (September 11-17)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Nice ok I thought I saw that wasn't official, but I'll take it.

What a potentially canon moment for him

I'd say Richard will likely be the starter since he's the older guy with a better record and was invited first.

Montreal is really unlikely to sign anyone has they have 4 NHL contract goalies, 2 AHL contract goalies and 1 ECHL contract goalie.

Plus Miller and Fowler are likely coming next year.

Still fun for him to be on TV (was also at the Flyers dev camp).

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I wouldn't underestimate McCue and Voit , both of whom will give our defence problems.
Yes Sir.
There will be a couple of surprises but our defense is going to have to learn how to deal with those types of players.
Keeping them pointless and on the back foot is what I'm hoping to see.
I'm really just looking for a cohesiveness that can carry into main camp...
For Laval in particular.

I'd also love to see a couple of our kids eventually pushing some vets to their limits.
I'm not a we have to keep this vet or we have to keep that vet kind of observer.
I don't expect playoffs and don't really care either way.
I'm more interested in seeing how quickly we can fill holes with upgrades.
That's what rebuilding is about and the sooner we can get the winners integrated the better.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes Sir.
There will be a couple of surprises but our defense is going to have to learn how to deal with those types of players.
For Laval in particular.

I'd also love to see a couple of our kids eventually pushing some vets to their limits.
I'm not a we have to keep this vet or we have to keep that vet observer.
That's what rebuilding is about and the sooner we can get the winners integrated the better.

100% agree. Habs need momentum up the standing and for our young pieces to perform and show trust. When I look at the Sabres and Sens and many other teams who rebuilt, I think about how long their transition seasons were after the rebuild. Habs need the process to move quicker but we still need to be patient at the same time.

Reactions: Rapala

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Yes Sir.
For Laval in particular.

I'm not a we have to keep this vet or we have to keep that vet kind of observer.
As always happens in these types of competitions, some bubbles may be burst. Nevertheless, I think the group of defencemen that Montreal will be sending is clearly a notch above the Leafs' defensive prospects. Our forwards, not so much. I expect Florian will continue to display his developmental trajectory from an afterthought to a possible top nine forward. Should be very instructive.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
As always happens in these types of competitions, some bubbles may be burst. Nevertheless, I think the group of defencemen that Montreal will be sending is clearly a notch above the Leafs' defensive prospects. Our forwards, not so much. I expect Florian will continue to display his developmental trajectory from an afterthought to a possible top nine forward. Should be very instructive.
I agree we don't have an Easton Cowan up front but Owen Beck had a pretty good handle on him in the post season. :naughty:
As far as Florian goes I expect he'll be a menace in a number of areas and the Leafs players will all be aware of when he's on the ice.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
So 2 invites?? Ya. This’ll go over well.

Not sure who the leafs have as goaltenders (they’ll probably find a way to put Woll in there!), but we have 2 invites playing? I don’t see this going well at all.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

Not sure who the leafs have as goaltenders (they’ll probably find a way to put Woll in there!), but we have 2 invites playing? I don’t see this going well at all.
The score/result of this 'competition' is of limited concern. The majority of players who are participating will not be NHLers. What you want to see is that our highest regarded prospects (Hutson, Reinbacher, Beck, Xhekaj, etc.) play dominating roles regardless of the score. If that doesn't happen, then that should be a concern.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
The way the roster is made, it looks like the Habs are more interested in evaluing players who will turn pro over the season (start or end of it) and invites. The few AHL prospects are there to give some leadership and fill in the slots left.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
As much as I'm looking for to Habs hockey, I'm not hyped for the rookie tournament.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Engstrom, etc... in preseason though.

I guess I am finally looking forward to seeing players like Engstrom, Xhekaj, and Mesar at the AHL/rookie level...

Last edited:

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
The score/result of this 'competition' is of limited concern. The majority of players who are participating will not be NHLers. What you want to see is that our highest regarded prospects (Hutson, Reinbacher, Beck, Xhekaj, etc.) play dominating roles regardless of the score. If that doesn't happen, then that should be a concern.
True, but pride and the fact that it’s the Leafs are factors.

The way the roster is made, it looks like the Habs are more interested in evaluing players who will turn pro over the season (start or end of it) and invites. The few AHL prospects are there to give some leadership and fill in the slots left.
Sorry I meant 2 invites for goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad