Prospect Info: 2024 Montreal Canadiens Development Camp

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Drafting top 5 for 3 consecutive years hard to miss. Easy to get core players. Draft in 20s, get players like Beck or Mesar. Decent players but more 3rd liners.

Previous management had 2 Top 3 picks and a Top 9 pick.

Only the 9th pick, Sergachev, amounted to anything.

Reinbacher should turn out to be at minimum a 2nd pairing guy, and Demidov should turn out better than Galchenyuk or KK. Time will tell.

This new management and draft team IMO has a much better eye for talent and character than the previous administration. Just the way Hughes handles contracts alone is a major upgrade over MB.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Previous management had 2 Top 3 picks and a Top 9 pick.

Only the 9th pick, Sergachev, amounted to anything.

Reinbacher should turn out to be at minimum a 2nd pairing guy, and Demidov should turn out better than Galchenyuk or KK. Time will tell.

This new management and draft team IMO has a much better eye for talent and character than the previous administration. Just the way Hughes handles contracts alone is a major upgrade over MB.
They weren't consecutive and not first overall. Drafting first it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Any poster on here could hit it out of the park.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
They weren't consecutive and not first overall. Drafting first it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Any poster on here could hit it out of the park.

I think a lot of posters would have taken Wright at #1 and as it stands now, imo, I believe management got it right to select Slafkovsky at 1st overall.

The other thing this administration has excelled at, compared to the previous management, is development.

Last edited:

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Anyone else watch Shayne Gaumond and Grant McD-bagg totally butcher the Bergqvist analysis from the scrimmage. Going on about how tiny he looked at 5'7" and how he struggled on the boards because he was so tiny out there.......Bergqvist is incorrectly listed on hockeydb as being 5'6" 128 lbs when he is actually 6'2" 181 lbs. This demonstrates yet again how nobody should ever use hockeydb as a source of information as they are consistently wrong just as they still are with Adam Engstrom who they continue to list at 6'0" 168 lbs when he is 6'2" 190 lbs.

This is also very telling that McCagg is a fraud who, despite being at the freaking game allowed egregiously incorrect information that he saw online entirely dictate what his little brain was processing and then repeat it on air as though he has any insight at all.

I quite literally would never look to Grant for any reason when discussing a prospect as he is well below myself and many others around here.....it is actually embarrassing how incompetent he actually is. The guy is a baboon throwing darts who revels in the times that he gets lucky and tries in vain to justify his misses long after they have busted.

I knew not to trust him when he was trying his hardest to sell us Mike McCarron.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
You know damn well we would have blundered it with Shane Wright.

He is a legit prospect but right now miles behind Slaf and Cooley

I think Slaf has distanced himself from the entire draft class and Cooley looks very good as well. Wright could very well close the gap on Cooley this year as he played well in the AHL and looked very good as a late season call up. Wright is on a 25 goal pace in his limited NHL experience and unlike Cooley was on a team with every reason to have playoff expectations to begin the season and no room in the top six for a rookie. I was a Wright guy for years leading up to his draft but was biased having watched him and having been around him as a youngster. Something definitely went amiss with the kid in his last year as I was not around for that season and the hype definitely went to his head which is something that I did not necessarily detect previous to that season but it looks like he is maturing and working his way back to the competitor that I remember him being in the GTHL and in his first season with Kingston.

No doubt that Cooley currently deserves to be in a higher tier than Wright but that has potential to change as they are extremely young and both are very gifted. As a betting man I would still have to stick with Cooley but that bet is riskier than many would suspect.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Anyone else watch Shayne Gaumond and Grant McD-bagg totally butcher the Bergqvist analysis from the scrimmage. Going on about how tiny he looked at 5'7" and how he struggled on the boards because he was so tiny out there.......

How the hell can you watch the scrimmage video and believe Berggvist is 5'7'' ?

The only 5'7'' kid at the scrimmage was Zetterberg.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You know damn well we would have blundered it with Shane Wright.

He is a legit prospect but right now miles behind Slaf and Cooley
The fact remains the same. Slaf, Cooley, Wright, Nemec, Jiricek are all in a bundle together still. Wrights end of season was fantastic, so was Slaf, Cooley was good all year, Nemec has been amazing in the last few games and Jiricek while he struggled still has the highest potential of all. It was impossible to blunder, really. The only blunder they could've made is Wright at one and straight to the NHL. I thought Slaf at one and straight to the NHL was a mistake but it seems like it worked out very well.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Michrian Xhekhage

HM to Tyler Thorpe
Thorpe is going to be an interesting one to watch...

Byfuglien/ Bertuzzi vibes if he really builds on that nasty streak & has the hands to create or compliment offensively

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
The fact remains the same. Slaf, Cooley, Wright, Nemec, Jiricek are all in a bundle together still. Wrights end of season was fantastic, so was Slaf, Cooley was good all year, Nemec has been amazing in the last few games and Jiricek while he struggled still has the highest potential of all. It was impossible to blunder, really. The only blunder they could've made is Wright at one and straight to the NHL. I thought Slaf at one and straight to the NHL was a mistake but it seems like it worked out very well.

With all due respect, i have to side with @Estimated_Prophet his. Slafkovsky has distinguished himself from the pack.

All in terms of impact, performance and profile scarcity.

Not a knock on the other prospect but more a testament of, pardon me, Slafkovsky parabolic and exponential growth.

In the end tho, you are right that they are effectively all excellent prospect with top six and top 4 upside.

orphanizer

Jan 5, 2021
Anyone else watch Shayne Gaumond and Grant McD-bagg totally butcher the Bergqvist analysis from the scrimmage. Going on about how tiny he looked at 5'7" and how he struggled on the boards because he was so tiny out there.......Bergqvist is incorrectly listed on hockeydb as being 5'6" 128 lbs when he is actually 6'2" 181 lbs. This demonstrates yet again how nobody should ever use hockeydb as a source of information as they are consistently wrong just as they still are with Adam Engstrom who they continue to list at 6'0" 168 lbs when he is 6'2" 190 lbs.....it has been two full years yet it is still there. If hockeydb management notice that their dog sh*t in the middle of the living room do they just leave it there for years? lol

This is also very telling that McCagg is a fraud who, despite being at the freaking game allowed egregiously incorrect information that he saw online entirely dictate what his little brain was processing and then repeat it on air as though he has any insight at all.

I quite literally would never look to Grant for any reason when discussing a prospect as he is well below myself and many others around here.....it is actually embarrassing how incompetent he actually is. The guy is a baboon throwing darts who revels in the times that he gets lucky and tries in vain to justify his misses long after they have busted.

Timestamp? I'm 95% sure they were talking about Zetterberg being 5'7" and struggling along the boards, not Bergqvist.

Reactions: themilosh

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
With all due respect, i have to side with @Estimated_Prophet his. Slafkovsky has distinguished himself from the pack.

All in terms of impact, performance and profile scarcity.

Not a knock on the other prospect but more a testament of, pardon me, Slafkovsky parabolic and exponential growth.

In the end tho, you are right that they are effectively all excellent prospect with top six and top 4 upside.
I mean if you want to say he separated himself because he did it in the NHL, I can agree, but then you can't say he separated himself from Cooley, that's just disingenuous and pure homerism. An 11 points difference doesn't cover for being a rookie center that had more 5V5 Primary points.

It seems to me a lot of the same people who were preaching for patience 12 months ago are now drawing very quick conclusions, it is very dishonest, will we flip flop if Slaf has 50 points again and Cooley has 65 next year? Then Cooley will be worth more ?

The reality is we won't know for a while, it seems like.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Anyone else watch Shayne Gaumond and Grant McD-bagg totally butcher the Bergqvist analysis from the scrimmage. Going on about how tiny he looked at 5'7" and how he struggled on the boards because he was so tiny out there.......Bergqvist is incorrectly listed on hockeydb as being 5'6" 128 lbs when he is actually 6'2" 181 lbs. This demonstrates yet again how nobody should ever use hockeydb as a source of information as they are consistently wrong just as they still are with Adam Engstrom who they continue to list at 6'0" 168 lbs when he is 6'2" 190 lbs.....it has been two full years yet it is still there. If hockeydb management notice that their dog sh*t in the middle of the living room do they just leave it there for years? lol

I haven't seen it, but he (McCagg) freaked our on Shayne because he said something positive about Levshunov who McCagg doesn't like for some reason?

All Levshunov has is the typical Russian/Belarusian hairline going on, he's not actually 26, or whatever that dumbass says he is.

McCagg can have solid insight but he let's his homerism get in the way every freaking time.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
I mean if you want to say he separated himself because he did it in the NHL, I can agree, but then you can't say he separated himself from Cooley, that's just disingenuous and pure homerism. An 11 points difference doesn't cover for being a rookie center that had more 5V5 Primary points.

It seems to me a lot of the same people who were preaching for patience 12 months ago are now drawing very quick conclusions, it is very dishonest, will we flip flop if Slaf has 50 points again and Cooley has 65 next year? Then Cooley will be worth more ?

True but Slafkovsky is a rare commodity whereas Logan Cooley is a good but more common player. I get what you say, but at this point Slafkovsky is more valuable and unique than Cooley.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

I would say what distinguish Slaf from Cooley is simply profile scarcity as Cooley indeed had a similar numberish performance.

Both are trending to be big stars of tomorrow imo

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
There's no way you can say this after how the Slaf pick was received around here.
I was debating until last few days. Cooley was mine until about 3 days before draft. I gave up on Wright months before the draft.

Last 3 drafts, a total non professional, would have taken Slaf, Demidov and Leonard. Does that make me a drafting guru also? See how easy it is drafting high?

I wouldn't have taken Reinbacher, his lack of hands can't see him being more than a #3. Unless career year maybe. even though I thought he was going to be solid D. Just can get those anyway ie. Pesce. So I said why burn high pick on him?

I wanted Hutson with Mesar pick. We lucky Hutson slid. Never liked the Mesar pick. I See him as small, frail, mid line winger. Beck was my pick at 33. The Oilers pick I had no idea who to take? Likely would have combined 33 with it to trade up early 2nd round or late first. I wouldn't have did the Dach trade. Only because thought we draft higher in '23. Really, really wanted Fantilli. Even though it's going to work out for better. Only by luck though, if Dach plays last season we don't get Demidov. I Wanted a Finn with Dach pick. Forget his name now. He went mid first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad