Prospect Info: 2024 Montreal Canadiens Development Camp

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It's incredible how many well spoken straight up competitors we've drafted.
I'd actually love to see a list of crossed off individuals who were deemed not to have what it takes to play in Montreal.

While I'm as disappointed as anyone we haven't yet acquired any roster ready help I've always said the top six role will be a hard gig to win.
The limitations they've incorporated are rigid in terms of the type of individual they like and the length of contract they are willing to give based on age.
I'm still hoping they find some muscle for our bottom six I've always thought good to great role players make your stars better in many different ways.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I know a lot of people love to rank prospects.
I've always been more interested in which player can I count on to be ready for the NHL when we need him.
Following that can they actually stick and force management's hand.
It's one way of knowing you are progressing as a team.
There are a number of tweeners who have to be looking very closely over their shoulders.
I wish I could fast forward to camp.

Reactions: themilosh

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Im going to try to do a quick write up. Usually, I like to make them more or less detailed, but I'm booked for the next three days and I have to put my thoughts into writing while they're still fresh.

First off, there weren't as many people as last year in the stands. People wanted to watch Hutson and Reinbacher and there were more high profile players. It likely would have been packed if Demidov was there, but I'm not going to complain, I had great seats.

Now for some caveats about my comments:

I'm not a scout. I didn't write down anything. As I had to focus on multiple players and two teams there's a lot I didn't see. However, since I was live, there was a lot I could see as well.

The competition wasn't as strong this year. I'm not going to talk about the invites as I feel none were worth commenting on much. Maybe Charbonneau as he's a good athlete, but not to the point that his game should be dissected. Now, why do I mention competition ? Well, last year the forwards had to go through guys like Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Struble, Engstrom... It wasn't easy. The teams had more depth as well, so harder to gain the zone, find ice and make plays.

The other thing is it was 4 on 4. Again, more ice, more time, skilled players will look better.

You can't project to the NHL from a scrimmage in the middle of the summer. These guys aren't all at the same place in their training. Some of them are absolutely not in game shape and won't be for two months.

That said, I'm going to ignore the last point and make projections for the NHL. In my defense, they're players Ive already watched and was looking for different things than what I saw on video (their skating technique, physical shape, shot power).

On to our prospects. Some of them are shit and I won't comment too much or at all. Those that aren't shit will get comments.

Beck: he didn't play much as he left with an injury. Also, he was clearly using the game to try out his stick handling and his skills. It's not the kind of game that really helps highlight his smarts. That being said, this guy is clearly pro ready. His shot, his physique, his skating, everything is at another level than the other guys. His snap shot is really hard and accurate. He had some details that I thought were efficient, like in a pro way, outside of the useless dangles. Really looking forward to his training camp performance. Kind of which they picked him 26th and Poitras in the second round instead. That would have been an amazing haul.

Xhekaj: I love both the bros. Florian is like his brother in one way: he just seems to enjoy violence. He was giving unnecessary hits to player, notably Beck, who seemed pissed and I loved it. Players don't f*** with either Xhekaj. And they don't because they're both intimidating. However, Florian needs to gain a lot of weight so he'll be able to translate that part to the NHL. Once he matures into his body, he could be a monster. He's fast, he gains speed with his crossover, he handles the puck well, he finds seams and he has a great shot. Everything is there to be a good NHL player. We'll see how high the upside is, but he understands the game, which is often lacking from these big guys (think Anderson, who's a hockey doofus). Great pick who looks like a first rounder, not a mid round pick.

Hage: probably my favorite player there. He's still raw in many ways, he needs to get a lot stronger and bigger, but man both the IQ and the skills are there. I would describe his game this way: if KK had shown what Hage is showing, people would have been very happy with the pick at 3 in 2018. He has that hip stance and movement that looks like McDavid, with strong powerful strides and agility in all directions. Really good skater. And he does it while handling the puck and making defenders change the angle of their skates. He then creates space and can either rifle the puck or make plays with his vision. Team white tried to intimidate him and he responded by destroying them in the second game. He just took over and made great play after great play. The NCAA is the perfect place for him to get stronger physically. He needs the time, but he's not far away. He looks like an NHLer and along with Hutson, the most skilled player in this camp since Subban.

Now on to the guys who I can't project as much to the NHL.

Eriksson: he's a bit of a surprise honestly. In two ways. First off, he's bigger than I expected, though still small and relatively weak for a pro. He's good an efficient stride with surprising speed. He handles the puck well and I was impressed with his understanding of space in the offensive zone and how to distribute the puck to create good chances. So, he had a good first game. However, my worry is the same as many European players. The technical abilities are often there and they do well with space, which he and at 4 on 4. The issue is when they face AHL and NHL pros who don't give any space and, on top of that, play a very physical game. So, they fizzle out. They need multiple tools, they need to be strong, or have exceptional skating, or size or be relentless and great without the puck (think Lehkonen) or their skill has to be extremely high end. The adaption is difficult. All this to say is that he's intriguing but didn't do enough, even though I like many parts of his game.

Thorpe: he didn't stand out with his skill and he needs to have a quicker stride and use more crossovers. However, this is an intriguing pick. He's clearly a fan of physical play, which I loved. He loves going to the inside. I found he was smart, understood how the play was developing. His shot was in the upper tier, almost at Xhekaj/Beck level. His skating strides are powerful, but like I said, he'll be able to be faster as he works on his explosiveness. He's a project, but an interesting one, I like the tools.

Sam Harris: I don't know what to say really. He was a bit better than I expected, but he didn't do enough at anything to stand out more than being slightly better than the invites.

Sawyer: he's not ready at all. He looked physically underdeveloped and clearly needs work on his skating. You can see flashes of technical ability and vision, but this is a project that needs to be in the NCAA ASAP. The BCHL in him stood out, he needs to face better competition. I'm already writing off his first year in college as I think the adaption might be hard.

Zetterberg: didn't do anything. I wouldn't even offer him an invite to the rookie camp.

Not going to comment on the goalies. These are faceless men who don't deserve our attention.

I'm probably forgetting someone I wanted to comment, but maybe if anyone has a question it'll come back.
Good analysis which is on point.

Florian Xhekaj provides an excellent example of why you should never pigeon-hole players based simply on their size and supposed reputation. I knew little about Florian at the start of last season other than what most people understood, that he was largely a nepotistic draft choice, who offered 4th line toughness. Then I watched him play (over 40 games) and quickly recognized that Xhekaj was no mere bottom line enforcer.

Florian showed well above-average straightforward speed, hand skills, offensive creativeness and an overall skill set that allowed him to play in all game situations. Most importantly, he played on the Bulldogs first power play unit manning the right point/half boards. It should have been obvious to any observer, that this fourth round draft choice had more upside than the accepted , predictable view of Florian being no more than a possible bottom line, physical enforcer at the NHL level.

I was so impressed with this kid that I even suggested he should be on Team Canada's radar for the 2024 WJC. As it turned out, Canada could have used Xhekaj's straight - line speed at the WJC rather than some of the smallish, plugs that Hockey Canada seems to have a penchant for.

I think at this stage, Florian has to be easily considered among Montreal's top 3-4 forward prospects. He has just started to scratch the surface of his potential. While he still has to gain some quickness, his short sojourn in the AHL has shown that this kid has what it takes to play, and play effectively, against professional players.

I think all this too predictable talk of Florian being our Maroon, etc. is way off-base. Xhekaj's level of success in professional hockey will be based on his emerging hockey skills. This kid can skate, shoot and be a playmaker. His size and controlled physical aggressiveness, is just a bonus. I see his role being more a top six forward than a bottom six one.

This kid will be interesting to watch.

We got lucky with this pick. Or just maybe, Hughes is that good.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
It's incredible how many well spoken straight up competitors we've drafted.
I'd actually love to see a list of crossed off individuals who were deemed not to have what it takes to play in Montreal.

While I'm as disappointed as anyone we haven't yet acquired any roster ready help I've always said the top six role will be a hard gig to win.
The limitations they've incorporated are rigid in terms of the type of individual they like and the length of contract they are willing to give based on age.
I'm still hoping they find some muscle for our bottom six I've always thought good to great role players make your stars better in many different ways.
Not in direct response to your message but its funny how both regimes put a large emphasis on character yet don't seem to have the same definition for it and have yielded different results. Make you think for MB it was just a buzzword.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Paul is better than where I'd project Thorpe but if he reach that level on a 3rd line I'd be thrilled. I'd love a fast skilled physical 4th line that scores a bit and is a b*tch to play against.

Florian though could projects for the 3rd line if he keeps going and maybe even take a role on the second line like Slaf as that big boy that retrieve and holds onto the puck, distributes it well, has a very good shot. We saw how effective Salf was to keep that game down low. I really like having a player like that on every line. I'm very impressed.
If he can score 2 goals to eliminate leafs from the 1st round I’m all for it :D

• Love
Reactions: NewDef

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Florian though could projects for the 3rd line if he keeps going and maybe even take a role on the second line like Slaf as that big boy that retrieve and holds onto the puck, distributes it well, has a very good shot. We saw how effective Salf was to keep that game down low. I really like having a player like that on every line. I'm very impressed.
There were many folks here just a couple of months ago who insisted that Florian be sent back to Junior as an overager, in order to keep room in Laval for the many better prospects we have.

Which many better prospects?

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Not in direct response to your message but its funny how both regimes put a large emphasis on character yet don't seem to have the same definition for it and have yielded different results. Make you think for MB it was just a buzzword.

MB was all about buzzwords with no actions.

Literally the first thing he said would be to build through the draft. Then 3 years in a row he trades his 2nd round pick...

I appreciate what Hughes has been doing to rebuild this team and I can't wait to see what his plan is and what his actions are when the shift from being in rebuild to being competitive happens.

Jul 6, 2016
MB was all about buzzwords with no actions.

Literally the first thing he said would be to build through the draft. Then 3 years in a row he trades his 2nd round pick...

I appreciate what Hughes has been doing to rebuild this team and I can't wait to see what his plan is and what his actions are when the shift from being in rebuild to being competitive happens.
Hughes did also trade 2nd rounders in the last two drafts.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Hughes did also trade 2nd rounders in the last two drafts.

I concede last year, it remains to be seen if it was the right move to trade for Newhook.

As for this year, I was 100% behind the trade. Moving up in this year's draft was absolutely the thing to do.

We've drafted so many players since Hughes took over, we need to aim for quality over quantity now and I respect this trade for this.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Character under MB and Therrien was based on a few things. Agreeing enthusiastically but emptily with the coach, showing no personality, and avoiding media attention, especially when it would distract from Bergevin. Being white and Canadian, or at least American, was a plus.

Character did not include integrity or even, necessarily, competitiveness.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Character under MB and Therrien was based on a few things. Agreeing enthusiastically but emptily with the coach, showing no personality, and avoiding media attention, especially when it would distract from Bergevin. Being white and Canadian, or at least American, was a plus.

Character did not include integrity or even, necessarily, competitiveness.
Criticize them all you want (and I have) but this is a weird argument when they drafted plenty of Europeans, as well as Harris, Struble, and Addison.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Criticize them all you want (and I have) but this is a weird argument when they drafted plenty of Europeans, as well as Harris, Struble, and Addison.
More Therrien than any of the others and he was gone for most of those guys, and I said a plus, not a requirement.

St-Louis and Hughes have better judgement of character and fewer ego issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: themilosh

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
or his version of Karakter means clipping your toenails on the charter plane and placing them in a plastic baggy to keep the area clean.

• Haha
Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad