Prospect Info: 2024 Montreal Canadiens Development Camp

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I’ve never been a fan of skilled perimeter players. His latest blaming teammates for lack of success was a red flag for me
I initially thought that too but often times these interviews from overseas can me misinterpreted. I will give him the benefit of the doubt. 2 years after being drafted I think he is probably stronger and faster which might be eye opening at camp.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I initially thought that too but often times these interviews from overseas can me misinterpreted. I will give him the benefit of the doubt. 2 years after being drafted I think he is probably stronger and faster which might be eye opening at camp.
I hope so man. To have another skilled prospect with real chances to make an impact would do wonders for our forward corps

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Im going to try to do a quick write up. Usually, I like to make them more or less detailed, but I'm booked for the next three days and I have to put my thoughts into writing while they're still fresh.

First off, there weren't as many people as last year in the stands. People wanted to watch Hutson and Reinbacher and there were more high profile players. It likely would have been packed if Demidov was there, but I'm not going to complain, I had great seats.

Now for some caveats about my comments:

I'm not a scout. I didn't write down anything. As I had to focus on multiple players and two teams there's a lot I didn't see. However, since I was live, there was a lot I could see as well.

The competition wasn't as strong this year. I'm not going to talk about the invites as I feel none were worth commenting on much. Maybe Charbonneau as he's a good athlete, but not to the point that his game should be dissected. Now, why do I mention competition ? Well, last year the forwards had to go through guys like Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Struble, Engstrom... It wasn't easy. The teams had more depth as well, so harder to gain the zone, find ice and make plays.

The other thing is it was 4 on 4. Again, more ice, more time, skilled players will look better.

You can't project to the NHL from a scrimmage in the middle of the summer. These guys aren't all at the same place in their training. Some of them are absolutely not in game shape and won't be for two months.

That said, I'm going to ignore the last point and make projections for the NHL. In my defense, they're players Ive already watched and was looking for different things than what I saw on video (their skating technique, physical shape, shot power).

On to our prospects. Some of them are shit and I won't comment too much or at all. Those that aren't shit will get comments. I'm kidding by the way, even the worst player there is an incredible player that would wipe the floor with me on the ice.

Beck: he didn't play much as he left with an injury. Also, he was clearly using the game to try out his stick handling and his skills. It's not the kind of game that really helps highlight his smarts. That being said, this guy is clearly pro ready. His shot, his physique, his skating, everything is at another level than the other guys. His snap shot is really hard and accurate. He had some details that I thought were efficient, like in a pro way, outside of the useless dangles. Really looking forward to his training camp performance. Kind of which they picked him 26th and Poitras in the second round instead. That would have been an amazing haul.

Xhekaj: I love both the bros. Florian is like his brother in one way: he just seems to enjoy violence. He was giving unnecessary hits to player, notably Beck, who seemed pissed and I loved it. Players don't f*** with either Xhekaj. And they don't because they're both intimidating. However, Florian needs to gain a lot of weight so he'll be able to translate that part to the NHL. Once he matures into his body, he could be a monster. He's fast, he gains speed with his crossover, he handles the puck well, he finds seams and he has a great shot. Everything is there to be a good NHL player. We'll see how high the upside is, but he understands the game, which is often lacking from these big guys (think Anderson, who's a hockey doofus). Great pick who looks like a first rounder, not a mid round pick.

Hage: probably my favorite player there. He's still raw in many ways, he needs to get a lot stronger and bigger, but man both the IQ and the skills are there. I would describe his game this way: if KK had shown what Hage is showing, people would have been very happy with the pick at 3 in 2018. He has that hip stance and movement that looks like McDavid, with strong powerful strides and agility in all directions. Really good skater. And he does it while handling the puck and making defenders change the angle of their skates. He then creates space and can either rifle the puck or make plays with his vision. Team white tried to intimidate him and he responded by destroying them in the second game. He just took over and made great play after great play. The NCAA is the perfect place for him to get stronger physically. He needs the time, but he's not far away. He looks like an NHLer and along with Hutson, the most skilled player in this camp since Subban.

Now on to the guys who I can't project as much to the NHL.

Eriksson: he's a bit of a surprise honestly. In two ways. First off, he's bigger than I expected, though still small and relatively weak for a pro. He's good an efficient stride with surprising speed. He handles the puck well and I was impressed with his understanding of space in the offensive zone and how to distribute the puck to create good chances. So, he had a good first game. However, my worry is the same as many European players. The technical abilities are often there and they do well with space, which he and at 4 on 4. The issue is when they face AHL and NHL pros who don't give any space and, on top of that, play a very physical game. So, they fizzle out. They need multiple tools, they need to be strong, or have exceptional skating, or size or be relentless and great without the puck (think Lehkonen) or their skill has to be extremely high end. The adaption is difficult. All this to say is that he's intriguing but didn't do enough, even though I like many parts of his game.

Thorpe: he didn't stand out with his skill and he needs to have a quicker stride and use more crossovers. However, this is an intriguing pick. He's clearly a fan of physical play, which I loved. He loves going to the inside. I found he was smart, understood how the play was developing. His shot was in the upper tier, almost at Xhekaj/Beck level. His skating strides are powerful, but like I said, he'll be able to be faster as he works on his explosiveness. He's a project, but an interesting one, I like the tools.

Sam Harris: I don't know what to say really. He was a bit better than I expected, but he didn't do enough at anything to stand out more than being slightly better than the invites.

Sawyer: he's not ready at all. He looked physically underdeveloped and clearly needs work on his skating. You can see flashes of technical ability and vision, but this is a project that needs to be in the NCAA ASAP. The BCHL in him stood out, he needs to face better competition. I'm already writing off his first year in college as I think the adaption might be hard.

Zetterberg: didn't do anything. I wouldn't even offer him an invite to the rookie camp.

Not going to comment on the goalies. These are faceless men who don't deserve our attention.

I'm probably forgetting someone I wanted to comment, but maybe if anyone has a question it'll come back.

Last edited:

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Excellent. I think he's become my underdog prospect. I love his potential because he has size/athleticism, but he has at least one tool (shot/finishing) that stands out and he can build a game around. I read good things about his shot on EP so your comment confused me for a sec hah.

I don't expect him to become a star, but I think he could be a strong bottom six piece that provides secondary goalscoring.
And we definitely need those. Our own Maroon with a better shot.

Reactions: Habssince89

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Maroon wasn't someone I thought of as a comparable, I was thinking more along the lines of Nick Paul.
Paul is better than where I'd project Thorpe but if he reach that level on a 3rd line I'd be thrilled. I'd love a fast skilled physical 4th line that scores a bit and is a b*tch to play against.

Florian though could projects for the 3rd line if he keeps going and maybe even take a role on the second line like Slaf as that big boy that retrieve and holds onto the puck, distributes it well, has a very good shot. We saw how effective Salf was to keep that game down low. I really like having a player like that on every line. I'm very impressed.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Sounds like Zetterberg looked good. Any chance we sign him?

I didn't see him. Out of the midgets, it's Nadeau that stood out the most IMO.

But who cares, right?

A5pZ7P2.png

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Im going to try to do a quick write up. Usually, I like to make them more or less detailed, but I'm booked for the next three days and I have to put my thoughts into writing while they're still fresh.

First off, there weren't as many people as last year in the stands. People wanted to watch Hutson and Reinbacher and there were more high profile players. It likely would have been packed if Demidov was there, but I'm not going to complain, I had great seats.

I'm not a scout. I didn't write down anything. As I had to focus on multiple players and two teams there's a lot I didn't see. However, since I was live, there was a lot I could see as well.

The competition wasn't as strong this year. I'm not going to talk about the invites as I feel none were worth commenting on much. Maybe Charbonneau as he's a good athlete, but not to the point that his game should be dissected. Now, why do I mention competition ? Well, last year the forwards had to go through guys like Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Struble, Engstrom... It wasn't easy. The teams had more depth as well, so harder to gain the zone, find ice and make plays.

The other thing is it was 4 on 4. Again, more ice, more time, skilled players will look better.

You can't project to the NHL from a scrimmage in the middle of the summer. These guys aren't all at the same place in their training. Some of them are absolutely not in game shape and won't be for two months.

That said, I'm going to ignore the last point and make projections for the NHL. In my defense, they're players Ive already watched and was looking for different things than what I saw on video (their skating technique, physical shape, shot power).

On to our prospects. Some of them are shit and I won't comment too much or at all. Those that aren't shit will get comments.

Beck: he didn't play much as he left with an injury. Also, he was clearly using the game to try out his stick handling and his skills. It's not the kind of game that really helps highlight his smarts. That being said, this guy is clearly pro ready. His shot, his physique, his skating, everything is at another level than the other guys. His snap shot is really hard and accurate. He had some details that I thought were efficient, like in a pro way, outside of the useless dangles. Really looking forward to his training camp performance. Kind of which they picked him 26th and Poitras in the second round instead. That would have been an amazing haul.

Xhekaj: I love both the bros. Florian is like his brother in one way: he just seems to enjoy violence. He was giving unnecessary hits to player, notably Beck, who seemed pissed and I loved it. Players don't f*** with either Xhekaj. And they don't because they're both intimidating. However, Florian needs to gain a lot of weight so he'll be able to translate that part to the NHL. Once he matures into his body, he could be a monster. He's fast, he gains speed with his crossover, he handles the puck well, he finds seams and he has a great shot. Everything is there to be a good NHL player. We'll see how high the upside is, but he understands the game, which is often lacking from these big guys (think Anderson, who's a hockey doofus). Great pick who looks like a first rounder, not a mid round pick.

Hage: probably my favorite player there. He's still raw in many ways, he needs to get a lot stronger and bigger, but man both the IQ and the skills are there. I would describe his game this way: if KK had shown what Hage is showing, people would have been very happy with the pick at 3 in 2018. He has that hip stance and movement that looks like McDavid, with strong powerful strides and agility in all directions. Really good skater. And he does it while handling the puck and making defenders change the angle of their skates. He then creates space and can either rifle the puck or make plays with his vision. Team white tried to intimidate him and he responded by destroying them in the second game. He just took over and made great play after great play. The NCAA is the perfect place for him to get stronger physically. He needs the time, but he's not far away. He looks like an NHLer and along with Hutson, the most skilled player in this camp since Subban.

Eriksson: he's a bit of a surprise honestly. In two ways. First off, he's bigger than I expected, though still small and relatively weak for a pro. He's good an efficient stride with surprising speed. He handles the puck well and I was impressed with his understanding of space in the offensive zone and how to distribute the puck to create good chances. So, he had a good first game. However, my worry is the same as many European players. The technical abilities are often there and they do well with space, which he and at 4 on 4. The issue is when they face AHL and NHL pros who don't give any space and, on top of that, play a very physical game. So, they fizzle out. They need multiple tools, they need to be strong, or have exceptional skating, or size or be relentless and great without the puck (think Lehkonen) or their skill has to be extremely high end. The adaption is difficult. All this to say is that he's intriguing but didn't do enough, even though I like many parts of his game.

Thorpe: he didn't stand out with his skill and he needs to have a quicker stride and use more crossovers. However, this is an intriguing pick. He's clearly a fan of physical play, which I loved. He loves going to the inside. I found he was smart, understood how the play was developing. His shot was in the upper tier, almost at Xhekaj/Beck level. His skating strides are powerful, but like I said, he'll be able to be faster as he works on his explosiveness. He's a project, but an interesting one, I like the tools.

Sam Harris: I don't know what to say really. He was a bit better than I expected, but he didn't do enough at anything to stand out more than being slightly better than the invites.

Sawyer: he's not ready at all. He looked physically underdeveloped and clearly needs work on his skating. You can see flashes of technical ability and vision, but this is a project that needs to be in the NCAA ASAP. The BCHL in him stood out, he needs to face better competition. I'm already writing off his first year in college as I think the adaption might be hard.

Zetterberg: didn't do anything. I wouldn't even offer him an invite to the rookie camp.

Not going to comment on the goalies. These are faceless men who don't deserve our attention.

I'm probably forgetting someone I wanted to comment, but maybe if anyone has a question it'll come back.

Thanks for the write up as I agree with much of what you said. I do think that you might want to go back and watch Harris' game again as he was easily one of the best players on the ice. Not so much due to him flashing high end skill, but making pro level decisions and reading the play at a high level. He uses his body and stick in a much more advanced manner than any other player displayed and was very good at connecting plays and sequences that really helped his linemates, especially Hage. This should not be surprising as one of the older players coming off of a championship team in Denver but it was extremely evident to me that he was thinking the game much more as a pro than most of the players there.

As I have stated before, these scrimmages mean close to nothing and are more of an orientation exercise than an opportunity for analysis but I would have been there as well if I lived closer and really appreciate your take as live viewings always trump video. You definitely did a much better job than another poster who used to do it every year as you seem to have a better understanding of the game and skating mechanics than he did.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
First two for sure. Engstrom is playing Laval this year. Jokinen (Timra head coach) told Kapanen to try and win a NHL job.

I would suspect Koivu will be there too just because he didn't get here for development camp.
I expect all 3 will be there. The NCAA/Russia guys won't be, so no Hage, Fowler, Demidov, etc. Still, it should be a fun group of guys to watch. One of our most talent heavy in a long time.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
First two for sure. Engstrom is playing Laval this year. Jokinen (Timra head coach) told Kapanen to try and win a NHL job.

I would suspect Koivu will be there too just because he didn't get here for development camp.

I don't think Koivu will make it. He said after the draft he wanted to remain in Finland, concentrate on strength training and getting ready for season as he wants to make a big impact in Finland's top league.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

On to our prospects. Some of them are shit and I won't comment too much or at all. Those that aren't shit will get comments.

Beck, Xheraj and Hage all good.

Thorpe sounds interesting. Cubes said Florian worked on the tips they gave him and he brought his game to a new level. Sounds like Thorpe's skating could improve working with Nicholas, and the skating is already pretty good. AND, guy has hockey sense ? Anderson is so one dimensional because all he can do is fly down the wing with the puck, break for the net and if he gets there deke and shoot. What Florian did at the scrimmage by passing puck off, accelerating to the net anticipating the pass to shoot isn't something Anderson could plan out. If Thorpe has those smarts then we have another Florian or reasonable facsimile.

I'm getting a pattern here. Draft big , physical ( mean ) guys who can skate well , have a good work ethic and have a good shot ( and ideally who have some smarts.). Selecting these guys with mid round picks is good use of those picks. You hit on one guy who can be a good 3rd liner ( meaning he can fill in on the 2nd ) and you are doing well and have done wonders for the bottom 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad