Alex Meruelo relinquish his rights to the Coyotes

RoyalDoubleMcCheesie

Aug 31, 2008

20240710_162852.jpg

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
rip the kachina. hopefully it can makes its way back in the future as a reverse retro or something.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
IMO it would be nice if they recombined the franchise with the Coyotes now because it's clearly a relocation, not an inactive franchise and an expansion one.

Yeah, the semantics behind this were always so stupid. It's been a relocation the entire time, and the other reason it was suggested otherwise is to appease an owner who's clearly an imbecile.

Utah is not a new expansion franchise is any sense of the words.

Reactions: banks

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I am absolutely shocked that the grifter that never delivered what he promised or anywhere near on time couldn't fulfill this agreement.

Said when the Utah sale all happened and everyone was freaking about about Meruelo still having "ownership" of the Yotes brand that there is zero chance this guy comes through and does what the league told him is required to maintain those rights. They simply just put that all into the sale as formalities so they could get him to sell in a legal way.

The league also knew this guy wasnt serious and would fail to keep up with the 5 year timeline.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Utah should grab the Coyotes name. Utah Yotes has a nice ring to it, better than Utah Yeti at least.

I second this - Coyotes would be a far better name than anything on the list.

I've felt the entire time that 'Utah Phoenix' was the right choice. That's a cool reference to the original Coyotes, and a firebird makes a bonkers-great logo!

As for Meurelo? Well.... bye!

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
That, I couldn’t tell you. Now that the franchise has folded, presumably its IP assets revert back to the NHL. It would surprise me if the league didn’t give 2.0 a green light to use those assets.

that’s my hope

but it’s a weird thing: dale hawerchuk and thomas steen’s legacies would then be with their rightful caretakers, but does the opposite happen to the body of shane doan’s career? how is teppo numminen counted? would be weird that shane doan, who was an opponent of the thrashers/jets franchise for all but the first 1/5 of his career, would suddenly have all those games against them count in their record book.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
I wish I could turn a 450mil investment into 1 billion by running the business into the ground.
And while making one terrible decision after another, having fans defending you tooth and nail and cheering for you.

As I've said for years, the only entertainment the Coyotes ever provided was off the ice.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

Brent Burns Beard