The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Don't underestimate the subtractions from the roster.

Olofsson/ErikJ/Jost/Comrie were just terrible. Okposo was also bad but mostly played too many minutes, key minutes at that. Girgensons isn't the player he once was. Krebs was...not so good. Skinner had to go.

Krebs is now the 13th guy, and he's entering the Mittelstadt/Tage age where it might just start clicking.

Last year was sobering. But, given the roster talent, I think last year is as bad as it gets. We are a better roster than 22/23, Ruff is going to get us on track. Trust the core!

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I hope that Trouba stuff is BS. I hate him so much.

That said...plenty of folks keep noting how the defense looks wonky as currently constructed, and still needs some toughness and snarl. Those are the same people who don't seem to like Jokiharju still here and don't see a fit for him. And Trouba played 20 mins per night on a successful playoff team.

Might a Trouba (50% retained) for Jokiharju trade make sense for Buffalo, in that it would balance things out? The cap hits aren't far off, with Trouba at 50%.

Power - Dahlin
Byram - Trouba
Sammy - Clifton

Elite Offensive D - Elite Offensive D
Defensive - Offensive dud
Offensive - Defensive

(I don't like this, just trying to play Devil's Advocate with myself.)

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

That said...plenty of folks keep noting how the defense looks wonky as currently constructed, and still needs some toughness and snarl. Those are the same people who don't seem to like Jokiharju still here and don't see a fit for him. And Trouba played 20 mins per night on a successful playoff team.

Might a Trouba (50% retained) for Jokiharju trade make sense for Buffalo, in that it would balance things out? The cap hits aren't far off, with Trouba at 50%.

Power - Dahlin
Byram - Trouba
Sammy - Clifton

Offensive - Defensive

The challenge is that the Rangers want to move Trouba out to clear cap space.

So, Trouba at 50% retention only saves NYR $900k this year and ($4M-Joki replacement) next year.

If Lindy likes him, I'm sure that works for Buffalo. The issue is that it is unlikely what Drury would like to make happen.

:dunno:

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
He's got a decent shot, but it's his elite passing and vision the first unit desperately needs.
Dahlin has elite passing and vision as well along with the shot, with the way power plays he usually finds himself in great shooting lanes he could benefit from trying to add a scoring touch. And I always say this of you are a great passer you become that much better if you become a dual threat.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022

Power - Dahlin
Byram - Trouba
Sammy - Clifton

Offensive - Defensive

Troubadour at 50% to play with power would be phenomenal I would run:
Byram/sammy-dahlin
Power-trouba
Byram/sammy/Clifton

So, Trouba at 50% retention only saves NYR $900k this year and ($4M-Joki replacement) next year.

If Lindy likes him, I'm sure that works for Buffalo. The issue is that it is unlikely what Drury would like to make happen.

We have picks and prospects 25 1st along with joker

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

I don't think it's about cap space -- I think they want to find a better fit on defense.

And they will save $4m on cap space next season, once Joki comes off the books.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
How washed is Trouba? Can he play 2nd pairing mins? I hate the player, but many SC winner ice scumbags on their team.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
How washed is Trouba? Can he play 2nd pairing mins? I hate the player, but many SC winner ice scumbags on their team.
They won two rounds with him playing 20 minutes per night on the 2nd pairing, so he must at least be serviceable in that role. At the same time, he might be part of the reason they didn't win 3 rounds.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
They won two rounds with him playing 20 minutes per night on the 2nd pairing, so he must at least be serviceable in that role. At the same time, he might be part of the reason they didn't win 3 rounds.
Hard to tell when there is an elite goalie behind him.

I am open to the idea of Trouba. At the very least it would add a little "F*** you" to the back end. Maybe he could pull a little of that out of Power if they were partners or at the very least protect Power a bit.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't think it's about cap space -- I think they want to find a better fit on defense.

And they will save $4m on cap space next season, once Joki comes off the books.
Everything I have heard and read on the topic has all been about Drury wanting cap space to make other moves and not just replacing Trouba with a guy like Jokiharju.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Well his metrics are similar to Jokiharju, although he is a little better in attack, on the other hand he is certainly more physical and mean than Joki, also adds a veteran presence. I don't think Trouba is a problem in the locker room, quite the opposite. If Ruff likes him (let's assume), they could replace Joki with Trouba, although he's not the type of defensive back I'd want to add to the lineup (I mean defensive play).
GPKpogiWgAAW4LG.jpg
Jokiharju2.jpg

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Trouba...

I think I will need a shower and a fresh coat of Teflon if they go there. He's not Kaleta-level dirty but he's certainly one of the scummer current NHLers.
It's actually weird, did he always play like that? I used to think he didn't play like that. In Jets and early seasons in Rangers.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
not that I think he's in the cards for us, but why isn't sprong signed yet?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Everything I have heard and read on the topic has all been about Drury wanting cap space to make other moves and not just replacing Trouba with a guy like Jokiharju.
Why does he need cap space though? To fix the defense. But now that there are no decent UFAs left, the cap space won't do him much good this offseason. Now he'll need to pivot to a trade.

The defense looked completely unable to move the puck once Fox got hurt and were the clear weakness on the team, so he's right to want to fix the mix they have.

Trouba is their Jeff Skinner. He doesn't fit anywhere and makes way too much. They may be looking for any option besides a buyout at this point, and retention has got to be on the table, just like it probably was with Buffalo and Skinner.

Trouba...

I think I will need a shower and a fresh coat of Teflon if they go there. He's not Kaleta-level dirty but he's certainly one of the scummer current NHLers.
He also sucks at defending, which is more of a concern to me.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad