2024 MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
No confirmation but this is floating around. Apparently plans for Utah changed after Islam's injury.

Also:

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island

Trying to figure out the lineup rest of the year...

305 Perth- DDP vs Izzy
306 Noche- merab vs O'Malley; grasso vs Valentina
307- ????
308 Abu Dhabi- max vs Topuria
309 MSG- jones vs stipe
310 usually Vegas- ???

No Islam due to injury so that leaves men's 125/205 and women's 115/135...

Maybe they do Pantoja and Pennington at 307 and then leaves Pereira to wrap up the year. You also have weili too could see that at MSG or 310.

Reactions: CDJ and Chaels Arms

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
That's actually a very interesting fight. Francis is almost 3 years out of fighting, 38 years old, giving up an age, reach, and height advantage. I'd imagine Francis still wins if he looks anything like he did in his last Stipe fight. But both guys have the ability to end it in an instant and Francis already got knocked out once this year. I'll be watching.

Reactions: I am not exposed

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’ll def bet money on Ferreira in that one. Francis would be smart to wrestle in that one. Idk about that chin at his age after the brutal KO against Joshua

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The worst part about the Belal win is that here come the has-beens, who have no business fighting for the title, asking for title shots. To make matters worse, the UFC will probably grant them as well.

Usman hasn't won in three years, has lost three in a row, and is somehow still ranked second in the division because the rankings make no sense.

Covington, who is ranked #4, doesn't have a win over any ranked fighter. I think the only fighters he's beaten currently on the UFC roster might be RDA and Lawler. Maybe Barberena too?

Thankfully Shavkat should be next no matter what. A guy like JDM should be in the mix as well over fighters who have already had and lost multiple title fights.

Reactions: 16Skippy

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
The worst part about the Belal win is that here come the has-beens, who have no business fighting for the title, asking for title shots. To make matters worse, the UFC will probably grant them as well.

Usman hasn't won in three years, has lost three in a row, and is somehow still ranked second in the division because the rankings make no sense.

Covington, who is ranked #4, doesn't have a win over any ranked fighter. I think the only fighters he's beaten currently on the UFC roster might be RDA and Lawler. Maybe Barberena too?

Thankfully Shavkat should be next no matter what. A guy like JDM should be in the mix as well over fighters who have already had and lost multiple title fights.
Usman's 3 losses are:

1- a fight he was winning easily and got caught with a minute left by Edwards
2- lost pretty handily to Edwards in the rematch
3- 10 days notice up a weight class and if I remember correctly he was winning the second half of that fight just wasn't enough.

I'm not an Usman fan at all but to say he's a has been who doesn't deserve his ranking is a bit much lol he was 15-0 in the ufc up until the edwards fight including 6 title fights... I'd say given his status and resume he's pretty easily a fight away from getting a title shot after Shavkat.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Usman's 3 losses are:

1- a fight he was winning easily and got caught with a minute left by Edwards
2- lost pretty handily to Edwards in the rematch
3- 10 days notice up a weight class and if I remember correctly he was winning the second half of that fight just wasn't enough.

I'm not an Usman fan at all but to say he's a has been who doesn't deserve his ranking is a bit much lol he was 15-0 in the ufc up until the edwards fight including 6 title fights... I'd say given his status and resume he's pretty easily a fight away from getting a title shot after Shavkat.

Is it a bit much though? He ranked 2nd in a division he hasn't won a fight in in nearly three years. That's not necessarily his fault but with the ranking system the UFC uses, which I alluded to in my initial post.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

Usman called for the Shavkat fight, then the media called for Usman to have a title shot. Chael Sonnen came out and called Usman an idiot and told him to stop getting in his own way and he'll get a title shot.

Is it a bit much though? He ranked 2nd in a division he hasn't won a fight in in nearly three years. That's not necessarily his fault but with the ranking system the UFC uses, which I alluded to in my initial post.
Can't blame the fighter for the UFCs backwards ranking system.

The truth is, no one else has the pulling power Usman or Covington have. UFC is an entertainment business not a sporting organization. They make more money by Usman or Colby fighting Belal now than they do having someone that casuals don't recognize winning the belt. Shavkat will undoubtedly get his shot after probably 1 more win, but UFC wants to make money before Belal loses the belt lol. Shavkat vs Belal isn't a paper view headliner yet. Usman vs Belal can be. Colby vs Belal can be.

Also, Shavkat still hasn't "earned" a title shot. He hasn't beat a top 5 guy, which is usually the line, the best guy he beat is ranked #9 right now. Shavkat vs JDM for #1 Contender makes sense, then Ian Garry vs Shavkat is sitting there for his first or second title defense. At least JDM beat a top 5 guy in Burns. I think UFC benefits most from Garry or Shavkat being champ, and wants them to build their brand a little bit more.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Also, Shavkat still hasn't "earned" a title shot. He hasn't beat a top 5 guy, which is usually the line, the best guy he beat is ranked #9 right now. Shavkat vs JDM for #1 Contender makes sense, then Ian Garry vs Shavkat is sitting there for his first or second title defense. At least JDM beat a top 5 guy in Burns. I think UFC benefits most from Garry or Shavkat being champ, and wants them to build their brand a little bit more.
I'm so tired of this argument. He hasn't beat a "top 5 guy" because none of the rank squatters above him accepted his callouts. He called out the likes of Covington and Usman multiple times. He has only fought the likes of Wonderboy, Neal, etc. because they were the ones willing to fight him. He was begging for fights on social media before the Wonderboy bout, it was ridiculous. He had a fight lined up with JDM, but JDM got injured. Not his fault. Not to mention "top 5" is a totally arbitrary number. Garry isn't ranked top 5 yet beating him would mean more than a win over #4 ranked Covington (LOL) and #2 ranked Usman. The rankings are bs.

Shavkat's resume isn't any worse than a lot of other fighters who get title shots. It was common knowledge that he would be avoided like the plague on his way up, and then when he was inevitably in line for a title shot, people would predictably be barking about "well who has he beat, muh top 5" etc. There was a similar scenario with Makhachev. A title eliminator vs Garry or JDM would be reasonable, but so would him getting the next shot. Either way, he's not far off just because he doesn't have any wins against WW's current alleged top 5.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium