2024 MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I rewatched Pereira vs. Prochazka. I had forgotten two things:

1. Prochazka was landing some really heavy punches on Pereira during their exchanges. His style is so strange it's almost like Pereira was a bit confused by the fact he wasn't playing by the normal kickboxing rules.
2. The night of the fight I was on the fence about the stoppage but watching it back again I'm more convinced it was early.

Really excited about that fight.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

I think we all already knew about this one but now official.

MW is in a really weird spot IMO. Izzy doesn't deserve this shot after coming off ANOTHER loss but the UFC probably desperately wants the belt back on him. No disrespect but I don't think people really care about DDP as a champion. Strickland is boring, a lunatic, and the UFC hates him. Khamzat is out for who knows how long and is one of the most unreliable fighters due to pull outs and inability to fight in NA. Whittaker is awesome but has also been finished by both DDP and Izzy. The two Russians, Imanov and Aliskerov, are interesting for sure and can make some noise.

Leon moving up could be a real possibility if he beats Belal unless they want Leon/Islam instead. I also wouldn't be opposed to Usman vs. Strickland, even if it doesn't make sense based on their recent fights.

I hope the African champ keeps his belt. :)

But I think Izzy matches up well with DDPs' reckless style. :(

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Anyone else watching the Roku UFC show, Fight Inc.? I'm through the first two episodes. It's pretty good. Seeing parts of the matchmaking meetings is great. The highlight is Hunter Campbell being real life Tom Hagen from Godfather II and having a sit down with Aljamain Sterling just to tell him to essentially stop being a whiny ***** in the media all while his manager sits in the room looking at the floor the whole time LOL.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Been seeing some rumors floating around that Khabib’s gym got raided by the GRU in Russia due to the connections to the terrorist attack last weekend. Any truth to this?

Reactions: 16Skippy

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Been seeing some rumors floating around that Khabib’s gym got raided by the GRU in Russia due to the connections to the terrorist attack last weekend. Any truth to this?
Yeah apparently a bunch of mma gyms have been raided in Dagestan, including Khabib’s. It’s a shame because Khabib’s dad started the gym to get people away from that radical lifestyle.

Khabib is not going back to Russia anytime soon I dont think, but that’s mostly for tax reasons

One of the insurgents killed in a recent terrorist attack was a fighter who had trained at Khabib’s gym for about a month a year or two ago (according to Khabib)

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Diaz v. Masvidal boxing match was better than I expected. Really close. Masvidal landed more powerful shots but Diaz was more active.

Reactions: CDJ

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Shockingly good fight between Diaz and Masvidal. Props to those guys at 39 for throwing down for 10 rounds like they did. From a round by round standpoint, I could at least entertain a draw scorecard, even though the fight as a whole had a very clear winner.

The reality is, Masvidal beat the ever loving shit out of Diaz for most of that fight. Nate's pitter-patter activity didn't do f*** all to Masvidal, who defended well, conserved his energy, and absolutely bombed away on Diaz when he saw the openings. Nate finished strong and only seemed to faze Masividal with anything in the 9th/10th. I gave him 1, 9 and 10. There were a couple 50/50 rounds in this fight so that's where I could at least understand 95-95 scorecard. Anything in Nates favor however is beyond stupidity.

The judges who scored it 8-2 and 7-3 should be blasted to the moon alongside O'Malley and Mauro, whose commentary was the worst I have heard anywhere. It was a massive robbery and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to watch on mute with no crowd noise. And I was rooting for Nate.

Nonetheless, both guys had way more in the tank than I expected.

Reactions: Killahpunk

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Saw the fight live in person on the floor as I did UFC 270 and 298. Prelims were very underwhelming (even with minimal expectations) but the main event was a lot more fun than I was expecting. Watching it live I thought it could go either way, definitely not one I’d call a robbery. Props to Nate for getting the W as before the fight I thought he had little chance. Guess I forgot just how much Masvidal has slowed down, he really shouldn’t fight again

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Knew I should’ve bet Nate, Jorge has had some points where he looked chunky since retiring. Clearly hasn’t been living the fighter life. Ended up not betting because I didn’t feel like watching lol

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Two questions:

Why is Jon Jones not interested in fighting Tom Aspinal?

Why is Jon Jones able to avoid Tom Aspinal?

It seems strange to have the dual champions at HW without resolving it.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Luque is shot to shit, wouldn’t shock me if Nick won
If he beat RDA less than a year ago he should have enough left in the tank to beat Nick. I’m just glad Luque isn’t facing a power puncher

Two questions:

Dana White privilege. The guy rants about how Jon is the GOAT every press conference he gets, he lets Jon do what he wants

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Two questions:

Dana would rather have Jon fight someone that Dana doesn't want him to fight than to have Jon not fight at all.

Jon has gotten to the point where he can pick and choose his fights and as Ol' Chael always says, fight the worst guy for the most money. Would you rather fight a 42 year old retiree who hasn't fought in 3 years and hasn't won a fight in 4 or a 31 year old world beater who has like 8 wins since Stipes last win? The choice is easy.

The dual champion defences thing is strange and dumb. Don't like it one bit.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Cesar Gracie, Nick's longtime trainer, doesn't seem to be involved with Nick's preparation and doubts that the fight will even happen. He hates the matchup and said he hasn't witnessed Nick even training for the fight.

Could be just a tactic but it's in line with everything we've see n publicly in recent years. Luque will kill him.

• Wow
Reactions: 16Skippy and Taytro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad