OT: 2024 MLB Thread

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Kudos to the Yankees for that series but I'm sure Cleveland is going to look back in those last 2 games and think they could've won those by being playing smarter especially game 5. Clase shrinking in game 4 and then Rocchio being focused on the double play instead of 1 out and it led to Soto's legendary moon shot. Would love to see a Dodgers Mets game 7

Reactions: Louskoolaid89

Louskoolaid89

Let's Go!!!
Oct 14, 2017
So the worst pitching staff the Yanks have seen all postseason but also by far the best lineup they have faced
You hit right on. Super scary lineup. You'll need the best of Garrett Cole. If that's good enough the Yankees will be good enough. Some balls gonna be flying and some long ass games even with rules to speed up the game. Gonna be like Yankees Red Sox games. Anyway good luck. At this point yeah you have 27 and you'll continuously remind us all Yankees fans.:laugh: but, here's to 28 because I hate the f***ing Dodgers!

In closing thank you and Mets and thank you Grimace. It was a fun ride!:)

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Can’t wait for Tommy Edman to go 2-17 against the Yankees :shakehead
I hate that I had the same exact thought.

I was bummed last night, but not utterly heartbroken; too meme-filled and magical (yeah, it's corny, sue me, it's the Mets) a run to not be happy to have seen it happen, especially when I thought it was looking like my ticket plan would completely go to waste by late May.

That said, I hope they go into next year with a few more arms they feel they can rely on to stay effective from wire to wire. Stearns was smart in bringing guys in like Manaea and Severino who were available for cheap because they'd had down years or injuries that he and his team figured could be or were in the process of being fixed, but those guys and others throw a hell of a lot more innings this year, especially during that insane final 2-3 week stretch of the season/postseason, and just looked absolutely gassed by the end, which reared its head in an ugly way against a supernaturally patient Dodger team.

Want a healthy Senga next year, would dig seeing Manaea re-signed, let Peterson get a full shot, consider making Butto a starter again, but then take a lot of that money that's getting freed up this offseason and pour it into a staff that's ready for a deep run from day one.

Reactions: Louskoolaid89

MB3

Jan 30, 2023
Kudos to the Yankees for that series but I'm sure Cleveland is going to look back in those last 2 games and think they could've won those by being playing smarter especially game 5. Clase shrinking in game 4 and then Rocchio being focused on the double play instead of 1 out and it led to Soto's legendary moon shot. Would love to see a Dodgers Mets game 7
Yes I'm sure Cleveland will look back on the what-ifs, while completely ignoring the fact that their only win this series came when down 2 runs and down to their final strike against a reliever who's been lights out.

It was a gentleman's sweep. Sure, the games were close/electric but that's playoff baseball. The Yankees won 4 out of 5, there's no "but" after "Kudos to the Yankees for that series".

MB3

Jan 30, 2023
Reasons why I like the Dodgers to win the series:

1. The Dodgers lineup makes the Guardians and Royals lineups look like AAA. In fact, if you took the best players from both the Royals and the Guardians, you still couldn't make a lineup as good as what LA's got.
  2. MLB's scheduling is weird (and annoying). In 2009 when the Yankees won the ALCS in 6 games, they played game 1 of the world series 2 nights later. The benefit of the Yankees closing out the Guardians should be that their staff is more rested. That benefit is erased, as the Dodgers will be able to start the top of their rotation game 1. Bigger than that - it gives Freeman the rest he needs to come back strong. He's the biggest swing player in the series; if he's hobbled/ineffective it's huge for the Yankees.
  3. The Dodgers swept the Yankees this year (Soto & Cole didn't play, and the yankees SPs were Poteet, Nestor and Gil... so take that for whatever it's worth).
  4. They're the home team, and they're stellar at home.
Reasons why I like the Yankees to win the series:

1. The Yankees are 7-0 versus right handed starters in the postseason this year. 0-2 versus left handed starters. The Dodgers do not have a left handed starter.
  2. Continuing on that trend, the Yankees all season have smacked righties and been completely shut down by lefties. The dodgers only have 1 left handed reliever, and he's not traditionally used in their high leverage situations.
  3. That fact gives Boone much more lenience in setting the lineup. He's been so focused on the LRLR rotation because of the Yankees splits, but there's only really 1 pitcher in this series that actually makes a difference. I think we'll see Stanton hitting 4th.
  4. The Dodgers pitching has been awful in the postseason. Their starters are 2-4 with a 6.08 ERA. If the Yankees can build some early leads, I have faith in this reworked bullpen to hold them.
  5. Yamamoto's shoulder is bothering him. If he's not effective, I frankly do not think the Dodgers have enough pitching to win this series.

Prediction:

The Yankees steal game 1 behind a Gerrit Cole masterpiece, win 2-of-3 in the Bronx and eventually close it out in 6 games. Aaron Judge wins the WS MVP.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Reasons why I like the Dodgers to win the series:

1. The Dodgers lineup makes the Guardians and Royals lineups look like AAA. In fact, if you took the best players from both the Royals and the Guardians, you still couldn't make a lineup as good as what LA's got.
  2. MLB's scheduling is weird (and annoying). In 2009 when the Yankees won the ALCS in 6 games, they played game 1 of the world series 2 nights later. The benefit of the Yankees closing out the Guardians should be that their staff is more rested. That benefit is erased, as the Dodgers will be able to start the top of their rotation game 1. Bigger than that - it gives Freeman the rest he needs to come back strong. He's the biggest swing player in the series; if he's hobbled/ineffective it's huge for the Yankees.
  3. The Dodgers swept the Yankees this year (Soto & Cole didn't play, and the yankees SPs were Poteet, Nestor and Gil... so take that for whatever it's worth).
  4. They're the home team, and they're stellar at home.
Reasons why I like the Yankees to win the series:

1. The Yankees are 7-0 versus right handed starters in the postseason this year. 0-2 versus left handed starters. The Dodgers do not have a left handed starter.
  2. Continuing on that trend, the Yankees all season have smacked righties and been completely shut down by lefties. The dodgers only have 1 left handed reliever, and he's not traditionally used in their high leverage situations.
  3. That fact gives Boone much more lenience in setting the lineup. He's been so focused on the LRLR rotation because of the Yankees splits, but there's only really 1 pitcher in this series that actually makes a difference. I think we'll see Stanton hitting 4th.
  4. The Dodgers pitching has been awful in the postseason. Their starters are 2-4 with a 6.08 ERA. If the Yankees can build some early leads, I have faith in this reworked bullpen to hold them.
  5. Yamamoto's shoulder is bothering him. If he's not effective, I frankly do not think the Dodgers have enough pitching to win this series.

Prediction:

The Yankees steal game 1 behind a Gerrit Cole masterpiece, win 2-of-3 in the Bronx and eventually close it out in 6 games. Aaron Judge wins the WS MVP.
I think LA surprises the Yankees with clones of Kershaw and Koufax to double down on lefty pitchers.

Louskoolaid89

Let's Go!!!
Oct 14, 2017
I hate that I had the same exact thought.

I was bummed last night, but not utterly heartbroken; too meme-filled and magical (yeah, it's corny, sue me, it's the Mets) a run to not be happy to have seen it happen, especially when I thought it was looking like my ticket plan would completely go to waste by late May.

That said, I hope they go into next year with a few more arms they feel they can rely on to stay effective from wire to wire. Stearns was smart in bringing guys in like Manaea and Severino who were available for cheap because they'd had down years or injuries that he and his team figured could be or were in the process of being fixed, but those guys and others throw a hell of a lot more innings this year, especially during that insane final 2-3 week stretch of the season/postseason, and just looked absolutely gassed by the end, which reared its head in an ugly way against a supernaturally patient Dodger team.

Want a healthy Senga next year, would dig seeing Manaea re-signed, let Peterson get a full shot, consider making Butto a starter again, but then take a lot of that money that's getting freed up this offseason and pour it into a staff that's ready for a deep run from day one.
April and May's starting pitching came back around and the Dodgers made us pay dearly. Oh we'll rather get blown out and completely beaten than beating ourselves with a poor decision from the skipper or some bad base running blunders in the field etc. Have much confidence in Stearns keeping this team good. LGM!

Soto is a pure assassin and Bryce Harper is still jealous. It's like if Andy Pettite was a batter. That cat digs in!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad