2024 HHOF

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I feel like a kid stuck between parents in an argument. Most of my favorite posters on this forum are making good cases.

I'm just going to add that Peter Bondra doesn't deserve drive-by shots. He was for several years the best player on a team while paired with Steve Konowalchuk. He's Miroslav Satan with a better shot. Not a HOFer, but lets not diminish the man haha.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Well I disagree with you, in my opinion aside from being more clutch. Linden was significantly more physical, and had much higher effort and compete level. Also considering the disparity in linemates, I don't believe Marleau to be better offensively than Linden.

To me Marleau played the last 15 years of his career trying not to get hurt. The only metric Marleau beats out Linden is longevity.

I don't think that's unfair. I don't think it's outlandish to prefer Linden. Marleau is a better skater, better stickhandler, maybe a little smarter too. I guess I'd rather have Linden as a 3rd liner on my team than Marleau as a 2nd liner, if that makes any sense...assuming, I have a contending team, that is.

That said, I'm just trying to balance things a little bit. If someone came in and celebrated Marleau's 500 goals and 1200 points, I'd try to bring that down as that doesn't really represent Marleau's impact. On the flip side, folks are naming some pretty chintzy players here and trying to sell that Marleau was worse than them. But that undercuts how good Marleau was in his prime for me.

Like, here's the thing...the Sharks quit at the end of the DPE. Selanne was lost to free agency. Owen Nolan only returned Alyn McCauley for the roster (decent player, he was). Ricci fell off. Damphousse was sliding. Graves retired. Sundstrom returned a backup goalie. Even the goalie depth took a hit, as Kiprusoff was dealt for a pick.

The Sharks went from low-key, hipster Cup pick to being sort of gutted to a degree. In 2004, that was Marleau's team. And Marleau's game changed. It got brushed away earlier in the thread as "a lowly 57 points" or whatever...but he was really, really good in '04 and the proceeding seasons.

That Sharks team in '04, in particular, was thought to be a last place team. And yes, they played good team defense, and Scott Hannan and those guys were a revelation under Ron Wilson. Nabokov actually had a nice playoff showing. But it was the line of Damphousse, Marleau, and Niko Dimitrakos that got them awfully close to going to the Final. They lost to Kiprusoff.

Look, again, I don't want Marleau in the Hall. I don't think he's a special player. I just think this thread and this forum got a little too far down on him at this point. It's been a decade since his prime, and he played through all that time haha - I think folks might have forgotten a little bit, that he was at least a semi-threat for a good decade in there.

i am kind of all over the place here with my comps

i do believe that marleau was basically gartner without the 80s, maybe even a little better because he played so much center

i also noted in another thread recently that i think kirk muller was better than linden

and two more guys i’d add to this conversation that muddy things are vincent damphousse and jeff carter.

in terms of offensive ability, nobody was truly elite. looking only at primes, linden would be on the bottom; carter next because he was inconsistent; muller, damphousse, and marleau i’d group together as pretty close although when he was on carter was right there with them. gartner is the wild card because the man could score goals at a consistently higher level than the rest of these guys but his overall offensive contributions were lower (other than linden and carter). partially this is because he was the only one who was a dedicated winger, but i do think ability is the egg and role is the chicken here.

but marleau vs linden specifically, just looking at their primes and disregarding how long the primes were, marleau was the more talented and reliable offensive player. but linden was a significantly better player in the other aspects of the game, imo. then you have the discrepancy in playoff performance, although i have often pointed out that pre-lockout when everyone called that owen nolan core a bunch of chokers, marleau was seen as the one guy who was clutch.

with marleau i think there’s a guy he could have been, which is a very different player than what he was. he had the size, the skating ability, A- offensive skills, knew how to play in his own end, i remember often watching the sharks play us and being scared because if he was feeling it and played the physical all round game he was capable of on paper, he could dominate us. but we only ever saw that in spurts and in crunch time we could almost always get him away from it. but by the same token, that whole line of him, thornton, and heatley, just by virtue of them being so big and strong, even if they weren’t playing physical, was extremely hard to contain.

idk, i’m just rambling now. but i don’t think comparing him in terms of prime contributions (disregarding length of prime) to linden is a diss. though i might be romanticizing linden here.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Gary Suter Gretzky incident aside should be a shoe in for the HHOF

Or perhaps he should be in the HHOF because of it, because isn't it the only thing people here talk about regarding Suter, and there's the fame aspect of it all, you know. ;)

Btw, I saw a poster here on HOH a little while ago complaining about how much some Swedish posters here whine about Rob Niedermayer boarding Forsberg, but honestly I think more Canadian posters whine about Suter (not saying unjustified, btw) than Swedes about Nieds.

• Wow
Reactions: DitchMarner

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The new inductees will be announced Tuesday June 25th.

1st-time eligibles:

Datsyuk
Weber
Marleau

Is there anybody else?

Kovalchuk returned to playing last season.

if weber is eligible, doesn't that make price eligible too?

Edit, i forgot that price played a few games the following season.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Re: Shea Weber's eligibility...

It's been a while since I've read the HHOF regulations, but I believe the only consideration is that you become eligible 3 years after the season in which you last played.

So, Weber's eligible as far as I know.

Mike Bossy last played in '87, then retired in '88, and was inducted in '91. This appears unusual; the rules might have been different then. Unless he was inducted in his 2nd year of eligibility, which seems very unlikely.

Reactions: Soundgarden

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Yes, he was a literal multi "Richard trophy winner", that played 700 less games, it is not a big insult for a Marleau to under Bondra gpg. If you look at the list of 500 goals with better gpg, either super goal scorer or played a lot in a super higher scoring era, often both.
Literally every single member of the 500 goal club has higher goals per game than Marleau.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
I feel like a kid stuck between parents in an argument. Most of my favorite posters on this forum are making good cases.

I'm just going to add that Peter Bondra doesn't deserve drive-by shots. He was for several years the best player on a team while paired with Steve Konowalchuk. He's Miroslav Satan with a better shot. Not a HOFer, but lets not diminish the man haha.
You say let's not diminish the man then you compare him to Miroslav Satan who was an inferior player in every possible way. Bondra was one of the absolute best goal scorers at a time that goal scoring was at it's absolute lowest in NHL history. As you mentioned, Bondra's most common linemates during his prime were a combination of Konowalchuk, Pivonka and Nikolishin.

Reactions: MadArcand

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Mike Bossy last played in '87, then retired in '88, and was inducted in '91. This appears unusual; the rules might have been different then. Unless he was inducted in his 2nd year of eligibility, which seems very unlikely.
I don't have a source for this, but I recall reading somewhere that, at the time, eligibility was based on when a player retired (as opposed to when they played their last professional game). Bossy didn't retire until after the 1988 season (presumably he spent a year trying to see if he could return to the NHL). He was inducted in his first year of eligibility.

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024

Did you actually watch Bondra play? He was way better than Satan.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I have a feeling that I'm not going to be satisfied with the reveal, no matter what it is. Too many fringe cases going in lately while long established careers that should be no-brainers continue to be ignored.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Satan was really good in his role, also internationally. In a way he was more sneaky than Bondra. Bondra was just so painfully soft. It was funny when he (Bondra) threw that hit on Hasek in the 98 playoffs because it's probably the nicest and most timid cheap shot ever, though Hasek still obviously tried to sell it like murder.

Reactions: Nick Hansen

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
I though Ron Francis was below (.317 vs .318 for Marleau, nhl.com ranking was right)
I guess it rounds up because they are both shown as .32 goals per game on NHL.com
It is worth noting that Ron Francis, whose career high was only 32 goals, was never considered an elite goal scorer. Marleau just hung around longer than he should have to play on an abysmal team in order to break a fake record. Howe played over 400 games in the WHA so Marleau's GP record is a joke and in no way merits Hall of Fame induction.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
This is a dumb question, but was there an easier 500 goal scorer to shutdown than Peter Bondra? That's a guy who you put out there less in the playoffs...
Let's be honest, without Bondra scoring 20% of the teams goals, the Capitals would never have been in the playoffs. Is there a 500 goal scorer who played with worse linemates than Bondra?

When goals are adjusted for era, Bondra jumps up to 33rd all time and is tied for 13th all time in era adjusted goals per game.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I guess it rounds up because they are both shown as .32 goals per game on NHL.com
It is worth noting that Ron Francis, whose career high was only 32 goals, was never considered an elite goal scorer. Marleau just hung around longer than he should have to play on an abysmal team in order to break a fake record. Howe played over 400 games in the WHA so Marleau's GP record is a joke and in no way merits Hall of Fame induction.
That why I thought we gave him a pass and still called Marleau the lowest because how much of a non goal scorer Francis was, but Francis played a lot of 1980-1996 hockey.

Is there a 500 goal scorer who played with worse linemates than Bondra?
Probably not (but Oates-Johansson-Housley when he had his 52 goals season are not bad playmaker, some all-time great at it in there), Gonchar for a good while, still some left Juneau, Hatcher, not fully motivated Jagr by the end.

What about Iginla ? Verbeek Devils-Whalers post Francis ?

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Adam Oates wasn't always his center, I know...but no one assisted on more of his goals from 1998 to 2001 (especially 1998 and 2001, it was up near half of them). Oates is, what, one of the best 20 (15?) passers in the history of the game...?

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Adam Oates wasn't always his center, I know...but no one assisted on more of his goals from 1998 to 2001 (especially 1998 and 2001, it was up near half of them). Oates is, what, one of the best 20 (15?) passers in the history of the game...?
From 94/95 - 97/98 Bondra had the most goals in the NHL and played fewer games than Leclair, Jagr, Selanne and Tkachuk who rounded out the top 5. Oates was only in Washington for 1 of those seasons.

Capitals Goal Leaders
97/98 Bondra 52, Oates 18
96/97 Bondra 46, Konowalchuk 17
95/96 Bondra 52, Konowalchuk 23
94/95 Bondra 34, Jones 14

From 92/93 - 02/03 only Bondra (9X), Khristich (1X) and Jagr (1X) had 30 goal seasons among Capitals forwards. THIS IS WHAT GOAL SCORING DOMINANCE LOOKS LIKE.

Also, Iginla at least had something of a "B" game. He wasn't scoring a goal, there was still something to him...Bondra either shot and scored or he wasn't very noticeable.
Except that 10 year span when he had the most short handed goals in the league as a very strong penalty killer.

Reactions: gary69

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad