2024 HHOF

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I don't think Marleau should get inducted. I think it's pretty clear he was never at a HHOF level.

But he's getting in. He's popular. The media loves him. He has the GP record.

No one should be surprised when he's inducted and the media gushes over him.
He seems like a great dude but why does the media love him? He spent most of his career playing for a small hockey market. He wasn't talked about much.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I'm not defending it my any means...but it's the Hall of Fame, and Marleau is famous for playing the most games ever...

He did so and at a reasonably high level. Not HOF level by any means, but he's a 500 goal scorer (499 and 501 too, both are just as valid) and he's got 1000 points...he's appeared at the bottom of a few Hart ballots over the years.

I don't think the committee is going to give it too much thought, as they tend not to these days anyhow...

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Marleau would be in a tie with Dick Duff & Kevin Lowe for worst selection of all time. I hope to God they dont pick him just because hes the answer to a trivia question.

Would be nice they finally inducted Rod Brind'Amour and Jere Lehtinen. It's criminal that Carbonneau has been inducted yet those two are still waiting.
Marleau will definitely get in imo. He has international success along with good totals.

I think fan standards are much higher than the committee's are. Unfortunately.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Marleau will definitely get in imo. He has international success along with good totals.

I think fan standards are much higher than the committee's are. Unfortunately.

As a passenger.

Good totals cause he was a compiler. Andreychuk stuck around forever too but at least at certain points he was one of the better players at his position.

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024

Leclair was on Nilans podcast and had an interesting take on the HHOF. Nilan was pumping his tires, Leclair was pretty realistic. Lists Mogilny, Roenick and Theo Fleury as guys who should definitely be in above other recent inductions.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I understand if the versions of the Sedins he played against before retiring did not feel HHOF material.

The point about teams and players having a gameplan, preparing and having it in their head tomorrow Cam Neely is playing but not for others that made it in the hall is not a bad way to put it.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Roenick has 1216, Nicholls 1209, Brind'amour 1184 and are not in (there obviously more to it going on, Turgeon waited a while with significantly more points than that), 566 goals too is really a special amount, no one with 525 is out.

In a 3 nhler or so get in yearly rate standard, I think many see Marleau getting in one days, those numbers, not most games but most regular season game trivia which is far from being nothing, face of a franchise. it is not easy to find 9 more HOF worthy player in the 1996-1997-1998 draft than Marleau: Luongo, Thornton, Hossa, SedinX2, Zetterbeg, that only 6 and the 2000 draft or 1995 are not that great and unless some chance people from that era will continue to get in.

Should he have to wait a little bit, at least ?

Last edited:
Reactions: jigglysquishy

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
not sure why people are questioning if Marleau should be in

566 goals, 1197 pts
So, you'd be fine with a player who produced 57 points a year for 21 years as a HOFer? Not saying Marleau did that. He was a higher end player than this thread gives him credit for...but it's awfully silly to just consider career raw totals like that...

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan

566 goals, 1197 pts
The same reason people question whether Andreychuk should be in. Each was top-10 in goals twice and never in points. Neither known to drive play or tilt the ice.

The peaks just aren't very impressive, and each -- while effective in their ways -- was kind of a one-note player.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
Up through their age 35 seasons, Marleau’s career was roughly on par with the careers of guys like Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik (and I’m not sure he’d even be on the top of that list).

The big difference is Marleau lasted longer and tacked on a bunch of middling seasons in his late 30s. Not a great reason to induct a player, imo, though odds are he’ll probably get in.

Last edited:

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Could be a bit rought to completely dismiss playing 16-17 minutes on the team that reached the finals, or those back to back 27 goals season, the guy new contract past 35 years old was 6.25 millions for a reason (not a good contract but it shows he still had legs)

I fell it is more from his last Leaf year to the end that is pure compiling.

Reactions: DitchMarner

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
He seems like a great dude but why does the media love him? He spent most of his career playing for a small hockey market. He wasn't talked about much.

He was a 2nd overall pick back in the days, media guys very often have a special (or friendly) relationship to these players as they've followed and interviewed them closely, et cetera, from an early age. By all accounts he was also a "good pro" type of player. Babcock while in Toronto adored to death both Marleau and Tavares.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm not defending it my any means...but it's the Hall of Fame, and Marleau is famous for playing the most games ever...

He did so and at a reasonably high level. Not HOF level by any means, but he's a 500 goal scorer (499 and 501 too, both are just as valid) and he's got 1000 points...he's appeared at the bottom of a few Hart ballots over the years.

I don't think the committee is going to give it too much thought, as they tend not to these days anyhow...

Does he even have close to that level of "fame"? Yeah hockey fans know his name, but ask random people on the street and Im willing to bet no one knows who he is. It's not like he's Lebron or Mahomes

He is the ultimate version of the "good ol Canadian boy" hockey meme

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

566 goals, 1197 pts

Only 0.67 PPG, good for a whopping 55 points per 82 games.

Also, there are guys who have much better individual accomplishments and those totals who are not in the Hall.

Roenick has 513/1216 in 500 fewer games
Nichols has 475/1206 in 600 fewer games
Damphousse has 432/1205 in 400 fewer games
Brind'Amour has 452/1184 in 300 fewer games

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Maybe it's because I found him boring and didn't like his game at all toward the end of his stint as a Leaf, but I think I can name at least 20 NHL forwards who aren't in the Hall that I would rank ahead of Marleau all-time and/or would rather have inducted into the HOF. This is not to say I want all these guys inducted, just that I'd rather have them get in than Marleau.

I'll give it a try:

Datsyuk
Zetterberg
LeClair
Roenick
Nicholls
Fleury
Mogilny
Bondra
Brind'Amour
Tkachuk
Middleton
Rick Martin
Larmer
Propp
Kovalchuk
Elias
Markus Naslund

Okay, that's 17 names.

I'd rather see Damphousse get in than Marleau as well and then he's roughly equal to Kovalev in my honest opinion. Even with Kovalev's laziness/inconsistency, he was clearly better at his best, he also has pretty good compiled totals and he was good in the playoffs.

There are also numerous players I would take at their best and in their primes over Marleau (but I'll concede that he surpassed them based on longevity): Lecavalier, Spezza, Bobby Smith, Brad Richards, Kent Nilsson.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I don't like that I'm forced to come to the defense of Marleau here because I don't want him in the HOF...but, hell, I'd take Marleau's 2003 to 2014 over Bondra's whole career. Probably Bernie Nicholls too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad