Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls (and non-binary people too - we want to be inclusive in this poll!), I present to you with our annual HF Devils Prospect ranking poll, 2024 edition.

Eligibility:

As with last year's poll, we're going to use the original HF rules for qualification (in years previous to that we had simply used NHL Rookie qualification rules). Simply (or not so simply) stated, the rules are as follows:

If a prospect is a skater (forward, defenseman) and has played in 65 NHL games or more before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday; or, if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL. Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club.

An NCAA player who signs his first contract at or above the age of 22 has three years to meet the above criteria (65/45), while those NCAA players that turn pro under the age of 22 will be subjected to the criteria above.

European players who sign their first NHL contract at or above the age of 22 have three seasons from the time they sign that contract to meet the above criteria. Those European players below the age of 22 that have signed a NHL contract will be subjected to the criteria in section one.

Of Note:
Simon Nemec *IS* eligible, playing in only 60 NHL games (65 game limit)
Nico Daws has graduated, playing 46 NHL games (45 game limit)

Eligible Players:

Barabosha, Artem
Beckman, Adam
Bowers, Shane
Brennan, Tyler
Brown, Cole
Casey, Seamus
Cheslock, Chase
Diotte, Mikael
Edwards, Ethan
Filmon, Josh
Foote, Nolan

Graham, Max
Gritsyuk, Arseni
Hameenaho, Lenni
Hatakka, Santeri

Hauser, Petr
Hurtig, Viktor
Karpovich, Daniil
Leddy, Charlie
Legare, Nathan
Louhivaara, Veeti
Malek, Jakub
Melovsky, Matyas
Misyul, Daniil
Nemec, Simon

Orlov, Daniil
Pikkarainen, Kasper
Poulter, Isaac
Salminen, Samu
Shlaine, Artem
Silayev, Anton
Squires, Cam
Stillman, Chase
Traff, Herman
Vilen, Topias
Wendt, Dylan
Yegorov, Mikhail
(Bolded = in poll, crossed out = selected)

As usual, there's a high chance I screwed up this list - I'm not really a good "attention to detail" kinda guy. If you see something wrong - a player that is missing or one that's not eligible - let me know.

Notable Additions:
Silayev, Anton
Yegorov, Mikhail
Traff, Herman
Pikkarainen, Kasper
Graham, Max
Louhivaara, Veeti
Melovsky, Matyas
Beckman, Adam

Notable Subtractions:
Daws, Nico
Schmid, Akira
Clarke, Graeme
Bardakov, Zakhar
McCarthy, Case
Pytlik, Jaromir
Thompson, Tyce
Vukojevic, Michael

Guidance:
As for who to pick, there's no real criteria. It's just... if someone came up to you and asked "Who's the Devils' best prospect", what you would answer. Perhaps the best way to think of it is who you would think is worth the most in a trade.

The way it works:
In case you're new to this, we will be running 20 of these polls. The winner of each will be put into our prospect ranking list. It is up to YOU to vote for another player to add to the NEXT poll (post it in a reply), so we always have 10 players to chose from. I will not be voting for a player to add unless there's a tie, in which case I'll cast the last vote to break the tie.

I'm going to be setting each poll to close after 3 days, but I reserve the right to end them early and move on if it looks like it's going to be a landslide, or if the votes stop trickling in.

So bottom line, after selecting a player, request a player to be added to the next poll.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Since Nemec is available, it’s obviously him. Potential elite #1 two-way D-man.

Super exciting player to have for the longterm, and he has already impressed.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I went with Casey because I just can't make myself call Nemec a prospect despite the rules. The Kid is a bona fide NHLer now.

As to my addition, as an old goalie I am partial to keepers. I think Jakub Malek is a diamond in the rough. Like with all keepers only time will tell.

I liked Schmid his first season and we see how that went here. There is still a good chance he will become a good NHL keeper elsewhere like Markstrom did after sinking out of the picture with Florida only to rise from the ashes with Vancouver to Calgary and now to the Devils pyre.

I really like Poulter, but he is not homegrown. I feel NJ will try to go with their own unless Isaac stands the hockey world on it's head. Maybe he ends up elsewhere doing very well for himself. This season in Utica could see his fortunes rise if he once again turns out to be the best keeper in Utica teamed up with Daws.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Ya, surprised me too, but I want to stay true to the rules as they were laid out.

I suspect this is going to be a very short poll.
On the topic of screw ups you left @Ripshot 43 out of the poll this season. Last I checked he hadn’t played all 65 games in the NHL needed to graduate. No way he’s a day over 21.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I missed his name, went Silayev initially, thinking he was the slam dunk #1, had to go back and change it.

Was Jack still on the list after his rookie year?

Although I don't remember for sure, I don't think so. We were going by different rules. Back then, we went by NHL rookie eligibility. We switched to HF rules last year after a bunch of people complained that certain players weren't in the poll.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
You're all gonna think I'm crazy, but even with Nemec and Silayev available here I have to go with an off-the-board selection in Ripshot. Think he's made significant progress this past year
IMG_0540.gif
IMG_0541.gif
IMG_0542.gif

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I think Nemec is the easy choice but if you’re an “only upside matters” type of prospect person then I get the people who went Silayev.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
This one is too obvious.

Just for funsies, let’s say Nemec was also just drafted along with Silayev…who would go first here?

I think we’d think Silayev has the higher ceiling, and in some ways, also has a higher floor, but Nemec has a better average in that even though Silayev might have a “safer” floor, Nemec is more likely to be top 4?

I don’t know. Hard to remove what we already know about Nemec. We’re lucky to be so loaded with such high end talent.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad