Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Specify in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The difference is one is a year older and put up twenty five more points in their rookie pro year? Like did you watch Rockford?
They're the same age, and what they were last year doesn't mean thats what they will be 3-5 years from now. I dont see much of a difference in what they may end up being, and thats a 4/5/6 Dman. And it was 20pts while playing 9 more games, 11 of those points on the PP to Allans 0.

Wasn't Allan named Rockford's defenseman of the year?
Yes, he was.

Last edited:

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Yeah, dont think there is much difference between EDM and Allan, they are probably back to back for me, after Kansterov and Greene
I am also in the camp that people are sleeping on Allan a bit here. I don't think he is ever going to have a ton of offence, but I could see him becoming an excellent shut down defenseman. I thought he was the best dman in the Memorial cup 2 years ago, and followed it up with a really good first season in the AHL this past year. It will be interesting to see how he looks in camp.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
It is fun to actually have this deep of a pool where you can argue for any given prospect from basically spots 3-12 on this list.

Let's just hope a bunch of these "hit" and we are flying in a few years.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
They're the same age, and what they were last year doesn't mean thats what they will be 3-5 years from now. I dont see much of a difference in what they may end up being, and thats a 4/5/6 Dman. And it was 20pts while playing 9 more games, 11 of those points on the PP to Allans 0.

Yes, he was.
Didn't answer my question.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Wasn't Allan named Rockford's defenseman of the year?
Yet Del Mastro was rookie of the year.

They're both 100% rookies and Dmen. It was just to give both an award because if it was legit, 1 would earn both. For skating being his biggest concern Del Mastro still got plenty OT 3on3 play as he had 2 ot winning goals.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I feel like I have to defend my points on prospects way too often when I've admitted frequently and openly that I only give impressions on guys I've seen.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Yet Del Mastro was rookie of the year.

They're both 100% rookies and Dmen. It was just to give both an award because if it was legit, 1 would earn both. For skating being his biggest concern Del Mastro still got plenty OT 3on3 play as he had 2 ot winning goals.
AHL is a slower pace than the NHL. Hell Dylan Strome was considered a good skater in the AHL and lit it up. I like EDM, not nearly as high on him as others here, but I like him. His skating is a bit overblown (he isn't Cullimore slow for God sake) but it isn't great either.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I've seen both plenty, both look like they can be pretty good shut down guys, neither of them are great at anything, but have lots of tools. I see them both as a #4 at best.
You didn't have Vlasic as a top 20 prospect last year. Its in the lost recaps of 2023 threads. Did you not watch Rockford the year, or do you not see defensive breakuping up plays and getting the pucks up the ice as high skills. Edm has been great every level.

The offense he's shown isn't like great nhl ability but he should absolutely be able to move the puck up ice successfully to be a legit nhl shutdown dman. With Allan, that's what I question still.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You didn't have Vlasic as a top 20 prospect last year. Its in the lost recaps of 2023 threads. Did you not watch Rockford the year, or do you not see defensive breakuping up plays and getting the pucks up the ice as high skills. Edm has been great every level.

The offense he's shown isn't like great nhl ability but he should absolutely be able to move the puck up ice successfully to be a legit nhl shutdown dman. With Allan, that's what I question still.
No I didnt have him in my top 20, many people didn't have him very high on their list. I didnt see much of him before he came to Rockford, where as I have seen Allan and EDM quite a bit in the CHL, and a bit in the AHL.

I dont think anyone expected Vlasic to come into the NHL and be a top shutdown guy. His last AHL year was pretty similar to Allans year this year, low point totals, decent shut down guy. Not every player progresses the same, and sometimes they make huge strides like Vlasic. Allan is a better skater than EDM, EDM has slightly more offensive upside. Thats why I rate them about the same.

How many games of EDM did you watch last year?
Full games? a few
Periods here and there? 10ish different games
plus the 2 in the NHL.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
No I didnt have him in my top 20, many people didn't have him very high on their list. I didnt see much of him before he came to Rockford, where as I have seen Allan and EDM quite a bit in the CHL, and a bit in the AHL.

I dont think anyone expected Vlasic to come into the NHL and be a top shutdown guy. His last AHL year was pretty similar to Allans year this year, low point totals, decent shut down guy. Not every player progresses the same, and sometimes they make huge strides like Vlasic. Allan is a better skater than EDM, EDM has slightly more offensive upside. Thats why I rate them about the same.

Full games? a few
Periods here and there? 10ish different games
plus the 2 in the NHL.
Vlasic made huge strides over the summer. Like I'm not saying I'm the end all be all because I've seen EDM play 35 games in the AHL but having seen him play 35 games EDM was way more impressive than Allan.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Vlasic made huge strides over the summer. Like I'm not saying I'm the end all be all because I've seen EDM play 35 games in the AHL but having seen him play 35 games EDM was way more impressive than Allan.
I still don't think either guy is anything more than a #4 in the NHL, and I see a path for both of them being that in the NHL.

There are many instances of players looking more impressive in lesser leagues, only to get passed over by the lesser players in time in the NHL. Not every player progresses the same.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Like if you ask me how many times I've seen a kid I'll give you a direct answer. I don't have an opinion on Demidov or Kantserov for that reason. I don't watch Russian hockey.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I still don't think either guy is anything more than a #4 in the NHL, and I see a path for both of them being that in the NHL.

There are many instances of players looking more impressive in lesser leagues, only to get passed over by the lesser players in time in the NHL. Not every player progresses the same.
Brother I'm asking how often you've seen him play in the past year and you're dancing around the question.

Reactions: Space umpire

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
And I'll ask you the same question because I'm really high on Allan as well.
Not sure why you are being so confrontational about it. I have probably seen about 5 of his games last year. I am not making some grand claims of Allan being significantly better than EDM, just pointing out that if he was named Rockford’s top defenseman as a rookie I find it hard to believe it’s out of the question that he is a similar caliber prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad