Prospect Info: 2024 Entry Draft Thread - Let's Talk About Picks, Bay-bee

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Just for shits and giggles, what do you think the real consequences would be to the Kings should they draft this kid or another pariah?

Would there be definite losses of revenue or status is the charitable community? Would it just be a bad look criticized in social media? I imagine it would force some employees to have to decide if they could tolerate that and stay.

And I mean that with no motive, no sarcasm intended. Just wondering if anything other than a temporary up roar would be the worst they would have to deal with, because I don't really remember hearing about any consequences in the Mailloux or Miller cases after the initial talk quieted down. Could be wrong, I honestly don't know.

I’m trying not to go too far down the ‘morality’ path on this one because everyone is going to feel rightfully one way or another about this

But on one hand bringing the swastika/racial slur kid onto a team with Akil and Q at first glance is like…suicide. Especially in a cosmopolitan city like LA anyway, and in an organization big on diversity and community initiatives.

On the other…reportedly he’s ’done the work’, which is what differs heavily from Miller and Mailloux, and I could see a world in which the Kings take him on for that reason.

It’s a tough call regardless. One where I think the stuff we ARENT privy to will matter a whole lot, like interviews and integration. But I think the above is why we haven’t seen a similar uproar as with the other two mentioned.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Just for shits and giggles, what do you think the real consequences would be to the Kings should they draft this kid or another pariah?

Would there be definite losses of revenue or status is the charitable community? Would it just be a bad look criticized in social media? I imagine it would force some employees to have to decide if they could tolerate that and stay.

And I mean that with no motive, no sarcasm intended. Just wondering if anything other than a temporary up roar would be the worst they would have to deal with, because I don't really remember hearing about any consequences in the Mailloux or Miller cases after the initial talk quieted down. Could be wrong, I honestly don't know.
Katie Strang's article outlines a bit more as far as issues. THN makes it sound like he just made an error in judgment and he's been trying to atone for it since. There's just more to it:

But Connelly’s frequent moves and short tenures at prominent hockey programs have also been flagged by teams. While it is not unusual for top prospects to move to a new program in search of a better situation, Connelly’s well-traveled career stands out. Between the ages of roughly 13 and 17, he was a member of seven different programs, and that included two stops where he stayed less than a month. To understand what might be behind those frequent moves, The Athletic spoke to more than 40 people (players, parents, coaches and others) who interacted with Connelly during his playing career.

Connelly played six seasons for the Anaheim (Calif.) Jr. Ducks, ending with the 2018-19 season when Connelly was around 13, and The Athletic interviewed more than a dozen parents who had a child who was a teammate of Connelly’s during at least one of those seasons. Ten of those parents said they witnessed behavior by Connelly that they considered troubling, and eight of those 10 parents described Connelly’s actions as bullying.

Four parents said they saw Connelly punch a teammate during practice; three of those parents said they saw it happen multiple times. It was usually in response to Connelly getting frustrated, those three parents say, such as when he lost a puck battle or a teammate wouldn’t allow him to cut in line during a drill. Five parents said he would slash teammates with his stick out of frustration. Four of those five parents said they also saw him slew-foot players — trip an opponent from behind with a leg or foot.

I'm sure the swastika stuff is what most teams respond to, as that's the kind of PR nightmare they need to prepare for. And I get that some of these behaviors can suggest a competitive player, but doing so dangerously, especially with teammates, isn't insignificant.

I’m trying not to go too far down the ‘morality’ path on this one because everyone is going to feel rightfully one way or another about this

But on one hand bringing the swastika/racial slur kid onto a team with Akil and Q at first glance is like…suicide. Especially in a cosmopolitan city like LA anyway, and in an organization big on diversity and community initiatives.

On the other…reportedly he’s ’done the work’, which is what differs heavily from Miller and Mailloux, and I could see a world in which the Kings take him on for that reason.

It’s a tough call regardless. One where I think the stuff we ARENT privy to will matter a whole lot, like interviews and integration. But I think the above is why we haven’t seen a similar uproar as with the other two mentioned.
I was honestly considering writing an article about Connelly and this very subject back when it seemed like a one-off incident of poor judgment. For very much the same reasons you state. Kids will say and do dumb things. But I'm concerned about the other behaviors, being moved to 7 teams in 6 years, and considering the possibility that this is just damage control in the wake of shit Miller and Mailloux went through for their own actions.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Katie Strang's article outlines a bit more as far as issues. THN makes it sound like he just made an error in judgment and he's been trying to atone for it since. There's just more to it:

I'm sure the swastika stuff is what most teams respond to, as that's the kind of PR nightmare they need to prepare for. And I get that some of these behaviors can suggest a competitive player, but doing so dangerously, especially with teammates, isn't insignificant.

I was honestly considering writing an article about Connelly and this very subject back when it seemed like a one-off incident of poor judgment. For very much the same reasons you state. Kids will say and do dumb things. But I'm concerned about the other behaviors, being moved to 7 teams in 6 years, and considering the possibility that this is just damage control in the wake of shit Miller and Mailloux went through for their own actions.

Good timing haha. I just read the strang article and was about to share

I think the pattern/number of issues is definitely worth a team digging on. Lord knows SoCal youth hockey culture is relentlessly psychopathic with parents going after kids; he sounds like both a guy who has had to deal with that as a major target of the opposition but also as someone who deals with it poorly. Not saying that to excuse any of his alleged actions of course, only to say that he doesn’t seem to handle provocation well. I can’t say I was too different in general, minus the racial overtones. I became a f***ing asshole as a defense mechanism but that soon turned into a proactive issue rather than reactive. Hard to tell if him and his family are responding genuinely or if it’s just PR; if he needs therapy/coaching/support or if it’s something he can’t get past. Tough choices.

I do like the end of the article as it comes down to it

“ believe in a path to redemption but it’s not my job to provide it,” said one scouting director. But another evaluator predicted Connelly will be chosen, just not as early as the rankings portend. “At one point the difference between him and the next guy will be too big,” said the scout. “All it takes is one team.”“

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
Would you all trade our 1st for Rutger McGroarty?
I would. Arty + #21 OA. Done. Even a little more than that. I am sure Herby's seen him more than anyone here and would be good to know his thoughts. Bet he would step in this year at LW3...or do the Kings' way and play 1+ yrs AHL. bleh.

McGroarty 20 6'1" 205 C/LW Michigan draft 2022 #14 overall

McGroarty’s one of those kids who just looks like a pro hockey player. If he walked into an NHL dressing room tomorrow, he would stand as strong as some in it. Then you add in the charisma that made him the natural choice for the captaincy at the U.S. NTDP and with this year’s gold medal-winning world junior team, the light and energy that oozes out of him

He’s a better skater (it doesn’t look the prettiest through his first few steps, but there’s some power when he gets going nonetheless) than he gets credit for and his spatial awareness, reads and effort level help him avoid losing short races. He’s got raw skill that shows up in his great hands and feel on the puck as a passer. His finishing touch around the net is there in spades, with a hard one-touch shot that he leverages his strong frame to power through when he gets open in the slot. He has always been a sneaky-good facilitator who passes the puck really well and can hold it.

He has particularly mastered the net drive into a high rotation away from coverage that brings him back to around the net. And then when he gets there, he’s got the strength to shoot from bad postures/off balance. He always seems to put his shots into good locations (along the ice, low blocker, high short side), too.

2021-22
undefined flag
USNTDP Juniors
USHL251518332624
undefined flag
U.S. National U18 Team
NTDP543534696554
undefined flag
USA U18"C"
WJC-186819278
2022-23
undefined flag
Univ. of Michigan
NCAA391821391815
undefined flag
USA U20
WJC-2071670-2
2023-24
undefined flag
Univ. of Michigan
NCAA36163652617
undefined flag
USA U20"C"
WJC-207549108

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
There's definitely an interesting blend there. Zegras has a much better shot, but his deception and ability to make plays at high speed is Zegras-like.

All this with the motor, energy, and grit like Lizotte.

Slightly undersized at 5-foot-10/5-foot-11, but otherwise, I'm trying to think of a Kings player like him. A couple of comparisons I've seen are Yanni Gourde, Nick Suzuki, or Chandler Stephenson. I'm always wary of comparibles as it sets unrealistic expectations, but he definitely has an interesting blend of skill, utility, and motor/grit.

Nice review! I think Luchanko is gone before 21. The hockey writers site has the combine weigh ins and lots of good stuff. And Luchanko weighed in at 5'11" 187. Solidly built. He's no wilting flower.
Maybe plays at 6'0" 200. ?

scrolll down and find the weigh ins.
Luchanko also finished high in testing and at the prospects game week...finished #1 in something.
Thei skills competition drills. I may be wrong...too many articles to go back and find. But he's a stud and does not lack the type of things the Kings love...compete, character, drive, etc.

As soon as he steps on the ice, Luchanko increases the pace of the game two-fold. One second, he’s on the heel of an opponent carrying the puck in the neutral zone, and the next, he’s piercing right through the opposing formation with the puck on his own stick. His speed makes him a retrieval and pressure machine. -EliteProspects 2024 NHL Draft Guide

Going from 14 pts to 74, is a major step. Good U18 tournament. Guelph is not that good and Luchanko led with 74 pts...the next 3 were 71, 55, 50....so seems he was a major driver.
I'd take him at #21 and be ecstatic. Can play w or c, another Kings thing. lol.

2022-23
undefined flag
Guelph Storm
OHL46591410-5Playoffs60112-4
undefined flag
Canada Red U17
WHC-1771122-
2023-24
undefined flag
Guelph Storm
OHL6820547436-13Playoffs40336-5
undefined flag
Canada U18
WJC-18725765

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Good timing haha. I just read the strang article and was about to share

I think the pattern/number of issues is definitely worth a team digging on. Lord knows SoCal youth hockey culture is relentlessly psychopathic with parents going after kids; he sounds like both a guy who has had to deal with that as a major target of the opposition but also as someone who deals with it poorly. Not saying that to excuse any of his alleged actions of course, only to say that he doesn’t seem to handle provocation well. I can’t say I was too different in general, minus the racial overtones. I became a f***ing asshole as a defense mechanism but that soon turned into a proactive issue rather than reactive. Hard to tell if him and his family are responding genuinely or if it’s just PR; if he needs therapy/coaching/support or if it’s something he can’t get past. Tough choices.

I do like the end of the article as it comes down to it

“ believe in a path to redemption but it’s not my job to provide it,” said one scouting director. But another evaluator predicted Connelly will be chosen, just not as early as the rankings portend. “At one point the difference between him and the next guy will be too big,” said the scout. “All it takes is one team.”“
Conelly does not look like bad person to me here…

Do Kings want to draft Russian J.Quick?

I think LA will need to trade for high 2nd round pick to have a chance…

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Mock drafts (from some very knowledgeable people) have been all over the place. Especially in the 15-32 range, someone will reach for a Lower ranked player, (Luchanko ?) and a couple are going to slip like 8-10 spots. I don't think many picks will be traded in the first round, but expect quite a few 2nd's and 3rd's.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
RMG can play a lot of roles for a team, I think he will be one of those guys like a Joe Pavelski was for much of his career, where you can have him as the 3rd best player on the 1st line, or be the best player on the third line and he will be a nice player in either role. Much like Turcotte he has an endless motor, but as many here know, guys like this concern me because sometimes you realize the motor makes up for some potential issues with skill, or in RMG's case skating. I see some Jets fans here really overrating him (atleast IMO), still a good prospect but pump the brakes a pinch.

If he was available for a pick, I think someone picking before the Kings would jump at him though. He has a very nice floor, great compete, great kid, everyone speaks very highly, WJC captain. He will jump right into someones NHL lineup next spring (or if he is traded to the Kings, to the Reigns lineup)

Last edited:

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Would you all trade our 1st for Rutger McGroarty?
There's enough hype around him that our 1st would probably need to be part of a package to get him.
And some are saying his issue with the Jets is the long path towards playing time in the NHL. We don't have a good record in that department. Wouldn't commit that to Brock Faber in 2022, for example.

Winnipeg Sun: It's not a good look: Jets may lose top prospect McGroarty said:
The source also pointed to how the team handled Cole Perfetti’s struggles last season, including his lack of playing time in the first round of the playoffs.

They also suggested Ville Heinola’s “painfully slow” path to the NHL after being a first-round pick in 2019 (20th overall) as a concerning issue for prospects beyond McGroarty.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Conelly does not look like bad person to me here…

Don't get me wrong, I truly hope he has turned things around. And assuming he learned from his past conduct, I'd root for him if the Kings pick him.

The kids get a lot of coaching during interviews though. It's part of the reason these absurd questions get asked at the combine.
Do Kings want to draft Russian J.Quick?

I think LA will need to trade for high 2nd round pick to have a chance…

It's possible. I know they generally avoid Russians but they'll still go for one they believe in every couple years (like Kirsanov). I can see a later pick being used on him.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
It's possible. I know they generally avoid Russians but they'll still go for one they believe in every couple years (like Kirsanov). I can see a later pick being used on him.
I was suggesting him a few pages back if the Kings could pick up some more picks too. He's performed in the pros (of Russia but still) and is probably almost ready to go. If they can get him with a 2nd or a 3rd, he might be worth it considering the pipeline.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I was suggesting him a few pages back if the Kings could pick up some more picks too. He's performed in the pros (of Russia but still) and is probably almost ready to go. If they can get him with a 2nd or a 3rd, he might be worth it considering the pipeline.
Sorry I missed it and didn't address it sooner (I know you weren't complaining but like to give credit where it's due).

My gut reaction is that they'd be more wary of Russians with their experience. But Kirsanov does change the dynamic a bit. Also, when was the last time the Kings had a Russian goalie? Let alone drafted one?

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Sorry I missed it and didn't address it sooner (I know you weren't complaining but like to give credit where it's due).

My gut reaction is that they'd be more wary of Russians with their experience. But Kirsanov does change the dynamic a bit. Also, when was the last time the Kings had a Russian goalie? Let alone drafted one?
Oh yeah totally not doing the "what about me?!?!?" thing. Just actually glad that I'm not the only one thinking of this. :)

I know the org doesn't have a good history with Russians, but really there haven't been a lot drafted recently by anyone other than some high profile ones. Plus, I like to think the Kings wouldn't be like "this guy looks like he could be a great goalie...but you know, we didn't have success with a few of the Russians we drafted 10+ years ago". Though, with the way they handle prospects...I wouldn't put it past them.

It's always risky drafting a goalie but this guy's 20 (I think?) and he's been performing really really well in the KHL so I have to think that's showing a little bit more than a 17 year old in the MHL. At least he seems to be able to make that next step up in levels of competition. All that said, the Kings aren't taking him at 21 and I don't know that he lasts until their 4th so, they'd need to get another pick or else it really doesn't matter how good he could be right?

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
I would. Arty + #21 OA. Done. Even a little more than that. I am sure Herby's seen him more than anyone here and would be good to know his thoughts. Bet he would step in this year at LW3...or do the Kings' way and play 1+ yrs AHL. bleh.

McGroarty 20 6'1" 205 C/LW Michigan draft 2022 #14 overall

McGroarty’s one of those kids who just looks like a pro hockey player. If he walked into an NHL dressing room tomorrow, he would stand as strong as some in it. Then you add in the charisma that made him the natural choice for the captaincy at the U.S. NTDP and with this year’s gold medal-winning world junior team, the light and energy that oozes out of him

He’s a better skater (it doesn’t look the prettiest through his first few steps, but there’s some power when he gets going nonetheless) than he gets credit for and his spatial awareness, reads and effort level help him avoid losing short races. He’s got raw skill that shows up in his great hands and feel on the puck as a passer. His finishing touch around the net is there in spades, with a hard one-touch shot that he leverages his strong frame to power through when he gets open in the slot. He has always been a sneaky-good facilitator who passes the puck really well and can hold it.

He has particularly mastered the net drive into a high rotation away from coverage that brings him back to around the net. And then when he gets there, he’s got the strength to shoot from bad postures/off balance. He always seems to put his shots into good locations (along the ice, low blocker, high short side), too.

2021-22
undefined flag
USNTDP Juniors
USHL251518332624
undefined flag
U.S. National U18 Team
NTDP543534696554
undefined flag
USA U18"C"
WJC-186819278
2022-23
undefined flag
Univ. of Michigan
NCAA391821391815
undefined flag
USA U20
WJC-2071670-2
2023-24
undefined flag
Univ. of Michigan
NCAA36163652617
undefined flag
USA U20"C"
WJC-207549108
He been impressive playing against men in NCAA and Captained Team USA U20 to a Gold. I like him allot and would be happy to pull your deal off if we could.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
The more I think and hear about this draft, the more I hope they can trade back a couple slots and pick up a second.

Not sure I like that they are connected to Connolly at all.

If Blake can get on the top 16 somehow it would be amazing. Not sure he has the capital to do it though.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
The more I think and hear about this draft, the more I hope they can trade back a couple slots and pick up a second.

Not sure I like that they are connected to Connolly at all.

If Blake can get on the top 16 somehow it would be amazing. Not sure he has the capital to do it though.
Top 16? Most have a top 17/18 who are your top 16 if I may ask?

Connelly would be the best realistic even semi realistic pick we can make barring one of the top 12 drop (not happening).

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
This is definitely Captain Obvious stuff here, but I can't help but think one of these things happens on Friday going most hopeful to least:

1. The Kings trade AK and the 21st to drop a few spots and pick up some extra picks in the 2nd/3rd round.
2. The Kings trade AK and the 21st to move up a few spots and get a guy they really REALLY like.
3. The Kings trade AK and the 21st to another team for a ~28-31 year old player to fill out an open spot at either LD or wing.

That 3rd one is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the list of what I'd want..but it seem like something they'd do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad