Prospect Info: 2024 Entry Draft Thread - Let's Talk About Picks, Bay-bee

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Would be ecstatic for y'all if you drafted Parascak. I'm quite high on him. His skating isn't great, but once he gets up to speed (which takes a bit), he skates fine. Goes to the net, bangs in goals like Hyman does (and Simmonds did), efficient, finds soft spots on the ice, and has an underrated release. Some Toffoli like elements in his game. Going from minor hockey to over 100 points in the Dub in one season is incredible. While production isn't everything, it's certainly an indicator of where a player's offensive floor/ceiling is at as a draft eligible, and the production jump coming out of minor hockey that he had is extremely rare. Hope he turns out, we'll see who drafts him.

Wouldn't blame Yannetti if he decided Emery, Artamonov, Stiga, or one of the fallers is a better fit though.

Same. And in recent years, draft risers have performed VERY well. I really like Parascak.

I think sometimes we get hung up on fallers as 'steals' but a guy showing massive growth is an important trait. That being said, there's likely to be a very good player available at the Kings spot! I feel a lot better about it than I did a month ago.

*24 hours till Blake trades the pick

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Same. And in recent years, draft risers have performed VERY well. I really like Parascak.

I think sometimes we get hung up on fallers as 'steals' but a guy showing massive growth is an important trait. That being said, there's likely to be a very good player available at the Kings spot! I feel a lot better about it than I did a month ago.

*24 hours till Blake trades the pick
With Ziemmer being on the Prince George Cougars, I would expect Yannetti and the regional scout(s) plus the development staff to have gotten extra looks at Parascak the whole year. So the homework will have been done, whereas many teams may not have since Parascak didn't emerge until this season.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
It seems that more and more people are projecting Levshunov to Chicago, which would keep him away from Anaheim, which to me is a nice scenario for the Kings and the rest of the Pacific. I don't follow prospects I don't get to see play as much as I used to, but if there is more than one guy being considered before this guy, the draft must be pretty good.

The only B10 defenseman I can say was clearly better as a freshman was Q. Hughes. And that is a pretty impressive list with Faber, Power, L Hughes, Werenski. It would be a total coup for Anaheim to replace Drysdale with a likely improvement, and then turn Drysdale into Gauthier, who is going to score a million goals for them.
Should not be happy. That means ANA likely goes Silayev or Demidov. I rather have to go up against Levshunov easily than either of those two regularly. Gauthier - Carlson - Demidov would be an absolute terror. Silayev will just further how soft we are as a team as a 6'7 elite skater knocking the @#$% out of our guys. They already have Mintyukov and Zellweger to lead their PP. Levshunov will not be that much better offensively if at all (All-around yes, albeit I think Mintyukov potential is sky high).

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
Should not be happy. That means ANA likely goes Silayev or Demidov. I rather have to go up against Levshunov easily than either of those two regularly. Gauthier - Carlson - Demidov would be an absolute terror. Silayev will just further how soft we are as a team as a 6'7 elite skater knocking the @#$% out of our guys. They already have Mintyukov and Zellweger to lead their PP. Levshunov will not be that much better offensively if at all (All-around yes, albeit I think Mintyukov potential is sky high).
Seems like Ducks have really started to build something and as a Kings fan, the Kings better watch out

Reactions: Surf Nutz

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
That's what I thought, he's my under the radar pick. One of the reasons I hope Blake or Yannetti can get a early 2nd.
Yeah, my apologies on getting the handedness wrong.

I am still thinking it's less likely the Kings will target him. The most likely defensemen (IMO) are Solberg and Emery.

There are a lot of forwards, skilled and/or gritty, that I think may be in the Kings' wheelhouse. Including Boisvert (an article on him later this week).

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
Yeah, my apologies on getting the handedness wrong.

I am still thinking it's less likely the Kings will target him. The most likely defensemen (IMO) are Solberg and Emery.

There are a lot of forwards, skilled and/or gritty, that I think may be in the Kings' wheelhouse. Including Boisvert (an article on him later this week).
I am hoping they can acquire a 2nd and get shot at him, but yes at 21 Solberg or Boisvert I would happy, that is unless something crazy happens and Yakemchuk or Buium are still there

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Since I’ve been looking into this more and more I’m really starting to like 4-5 prospects that could be in this range. I like Solberg (probably wont fall to here), Boisvert, Emery (why couldn’t he be a lefty), Chernyshov(yeah they wont draft a Russian)and Parascak.

And since I’ve actually started to like the idea of one of these kids, they’ll trade the pick.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I mean if we're being honest there's nothing the Kings can do about that at this point. If they would have stuck to an honest rebuild, then we can maybe lament the picks...but Anaheim did it the tear-down old fashioned way. There's almost no pick Anaheim can make that would make me 'happy' from a Kings standpoint, they're positioned VERY well for this.

But yeah even if I agree with Herby that Levshunov is the likely 'better' player, Silayev seems like a better fit for what Anaheim already has and can be a terrifying add. I know people are talking about this as a mild draft but it sure seems like it's got huge diversity in high end talent.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Could be some tough years ahead for Kings, if they stumble they could easily fall out of playoffs, cementing a new GM coming.

That would result in the tear down so many here have cried for.

While the Ducks have a legion of young talent I would already rate as a dark horse to make the playoffs in another team place.

Reactions: kinghock

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Solberg has the right attitude - maybe just take 1 yr in the SHL or AHL (hopefully the former)

1718748148059.png

Last edited:

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Love for him to be a king, would not be shocked if Blues grabbed him. Wonder if Kaliyev + 21st would work to move up, if not I hope Sacha Boisvert there at 21
Boisvert ticks the box on Quebecois so could be a likely fallback.. would just love to see a young Seider potential type D on the left side, more physicality to pair with someone like Spence on 3LD in the short term. Could be a good future partner for Clarke.

Reactions: MonkeysUncle

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
I wouldn’t be mad if we got Stolberg but I think he’ll get picked up before 21. It’d be nice to see a punishing defenseman on the Kings again. I’m not going to lie, i’m a bit worried Blake trades the pick like some said on here.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
I wouldn’t be mad if we got Stolberg but I think he’ll get picked up before 21. It’d be nice to see a punishing defenseman on the Kings again. I’m not going to lie, i’m a bit worried Blake trades the pick like some said on here.
The only way he should trade the pick is if it's for a Necas. If Ehler's available and Blake make move for him that should be 25 conditional 1st.
I would think those are unlikely , but if player they lik ew is not there, maybe move back pick up early 2nd, late 2nd an a 3rd. Maybe a Chicago would be interested

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Hoven spoke to a scout and updated the Beaudoin article with this specific feedback, just in case you read the article before the update.

"North American Independent Central Scouting (NACS)had him No. 58 in their preseason rankings, then moved up to No. 17 in their final rankings. Comments included — 'Beaudoin is the hardest working player that we have come across in 34 years. A tireless worker on the ice and in the gym and it has resulted in a player that put up staggering results at the NHL Combine in Buffalo and has made him the fastest rising player since January. Zach Hyman has shown how effective a player can be by willing to go into traffic and the dirty areas and Beaudoin does the same. Although he may not put up the eye-popping numbers that Hyman has, Beaudoin will score from the same areas and take the puck to the net by overpowering opponents defensemen without fear or hesitancy. The knock on Beaudoin has been his skating but through hard work, willingness to be coached and attention to detail, that criticism has subsided because he is a strong, powerful skater that gets to loose pucks because of his IQ, strength and improved feet. Every time he has played for Canada internationally, he has started down in the lineup and by the medal round, he has jumped into the Top-6 and invariably becomes the coaches favorite because he is so smart defensively, can win draws and is consistent on every shift. There may be some debate among NHL teams as to whether he is an NHL winger or a centerman (We think he is a center) but there is ZERO debate that he will play in the National Hockey League and have a long, productive career.'”

Hopefully we'll have some more of these additional nuggets in the upcoming articles.

As mentioned, Letourneau should be up tomorrow. Boisvert should be done on Thursday. I know a lot of people are interested in Boisvert, so I wanted to give you a head's up.

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
People say this is not such a great draft? It's probably because there is only 1 surefire, elite player in Celebrini...but Demidov and a few others may end up being elite level. So, let's swap out the 2019 for this year...and I'm over the moon of the Kings are picking #5, #22 and #33. They would do much better than Turcotte, Bjornfot and Kaliyev...hindsight or not. It would be something like:
Lindstrom or Buium at 5....Hage, Solberg, Chernyshov, Beaudoin, Emery, Parascak, Boisvert at #22 and perhaps Stiga, Emery, Letourneau, Freij, Elick, Kiviharju, Hemming, Ritchie, Basha at #33. Quite a haul!

Geez, one day I'm all on for Hage at 21, Stiga at 21...or Chernyshov...or Parascak...or Boisvert...then read more about Beaudoin and down to take him. I really like Luchanko, but think he's gone by #20.
I've seen Boisvert's skating and kind of lost in other zones...but love his skill and shot. Nice one timer...one thing I never get, are top 6 NHL forwards that never use a slap shot and cannot 1 time a puck. WTF? Yet, they can pull and drag, have nice hands in tight, yet cannot 1 time a puck?? I like that Boisvert has a great shot, can 1 time, slap, wrist, snap, pull and drag and beat goalies. Also, 6 fighting majors. I like the idea of having a top 9 forward that can throw down....if you're playing the Kings the last umpteen years....no one to worry about, smacking you down, unless it's MacDermid on the ice or Lemieux...or Englund...whoop tee doo. I'd love a top 9 regular shift forward (or top 4 D) that is going to smack you, ask you to dance, to keep opponents watching out. I still think Boisvert's skating and D will improve...so, I'm fine with him, but love others at 21 as well. Then again, if Ziemmer makes it in 2-3 years, he can throw down. And if Helenius makes it in another year as well. I think Hage is all around better than Boisvert and will be gone by 20. I'd be surprised to see Hage and Luchanko be there at 21.

I still like Solberg or even Freij at 21...even if it seems early for Freij. The Kings need a legit top LHD and it may seem a reach he could be a #1 pair...but it's possible. If he becomes a 2nd pairing, not a big deal. Who said Mikey was a #1 pairing? I think Emery is a little risky, unless you're totally fine with a 20 minute, shut down guy with good size, skating and getting the puck back and moving out of your end. That's fine, if Yannetti thinks there's a little more and he's the guy at 21. One scout said of Emery "i see more of an athlete, than a hockey player" OUCH...then again, I recall reading a scout say of Dustin Brown in 2003 "he plays the game more like football" and he was kind of right. I am just hoping for a top 6 forward or legit top 4 D projection. Solberg - it's time the Kings have a top 4 D that can play physical.

On another note...Demidov has arrived in Florida and people are impressed and he measured in at 6'1" . I cannot see him falling beyond 3. I think the Hawks should take him, 100%.

Crap...if I'm the Kings, I'm calling Chicago and asking what they would consider for their pick...I'd seriously consider Clarke + 21 and I like Clarke. One thing that bothers me about Clarke...and it's not a Clarke thing!! It;s a King thing. 3 years of telling him to work on his D...work on your D, work on your D...your strength, your board play..learning our system...and that is a way to neuter your skills and talents...they've got him on a leash. It's the Kings' way and I hate it. Just like TMAC "Kupari...you're a defensive forward and you can make a living out of being that" EXACTLY when Kupari never scored again...EVER. F THAT. I saw Kupari score one of the wickedest backhands a few weeks before, that I've ever seen...I think it;s criminal to put labels, leashes and force players to play D #1, #2, #3, and the system and don't you ever make a mistake....you'll sit or even go back to AHL to think about it and work harder. F THAT. I'm mot saying they are ruining Clarke....but I am thinking we are not going to see the best of Clarke, due to the Kings way.
I'm just more enamored with what Demidov is going to be, SO, please don't say I'm ready to move Clarke..I'm not. But I am worried about what they've perhaps already done to him...and yeah, they'd probably do the same with Demidov. TOUCHE!

If it's up to me? Clarke is RHD2 defenseman. 17-20 mins and #1 PP. With our without Drew. And never sits a shift. Ever. I think he's going to be perrenial 60 point player and be better, all around than the Kings believe. No, I don't deal him. If the Hawks call and offer #2 OA...for him and #21? I'm interested, yeah. Don't see that happening...but, I'm probably countering Clarke, Kaliyev #21 for #2 and #34. #2 Demidov and #34 Emery, Stiga, Hemming, Letourneau, Elick or ? Hawks have #2, #18, #34 and #50. Hawks would make it #50 anyway, if the Kings could even make that kind of deal. #34 is worth more. Clarke will play in the NHL this year...yeah and so will Demidov, come Spring. And yeah, I'm not calling the Ducks...but have a call with the CBJ #4 pre-draft...what they would want for #4. In case the Hawks and Ducks are lunatics and both pass on Demidov.

Final disclosure: depending how good the new Kings' jersey is, I'm wanting a Clarke one.

I'm pumped for the draft. And don't eff this summer up. Don't even eff up the jersey.

demidov.jpg

Last edited:

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
The only way he should trade the pick is if it's for a Necas. If Ehler's available and Blake make move for him that should be 25 conditional 1st.
I would think those are unlikely , but if player they lik ew is not there, maybe move back pick up early 2nd, late 2nd an a 3rd. Maybe a Chicago would be interested
We have no money to pay these guys.

Keep the pick, make the pick and pray the pick is a good one that will provide league minimum salary to help with the cap in a few years.

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
We have no money to pay these guys.

Keep the pick, make the pick and pray the pick is a good one that will provide league minimum salary to help with the cap in a few years.
They could if they wanted, there are moves you could make, including moving Moore as part of package, not resigning Roy etc. there always a way. I was just looking at it if they move the first it better be for impact player like that.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan

You are probably right, it's going to be bad either way. It's just so sad that Anaheim and SJ are going to go through a proper rebuild and reap the benefits, while the Kings punted on theirs for absolutely nothing.

I only mentioned Levshunov because he is being mocked at #2 by a lot of places, and because I was so thoroughly impressed in my chances to see him in person. I think there is a lot of Drew Doughty in his game. And while many people here are concerned with taking guys under 6', my years of closely following Kings drafts has given me PTSD of 6'5+ prospects. I always worry that they are going that high largely because of their measurables, but we will see, obviously if hes another Pronger or Chara it'll be bad news.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
You are probably right, it's going to be bad either way. It's just so sad that Anaheim and SJ are going to go through a proper rebuild and reap the benefits, while the Kings punted on theirs for absolutely nothing.

I only mentioned Levshunov because he is being mocked at #2 by a lot of places, and because I was so thoroughly impressed in my chances to see him in person. I think there is a lot of Drew Doughty in his game. And while many people here are concerned with taking guys under 6', my years of closely following Kings drafts has given me PTSD of 6'5+ prospects. I always worry that they are going that high largely because of their measurables, but we will see, obviously if hes another Pronger or Chara it'll be bad news.
i'm also not a big fan of purely height-driven judgment

i'll take a brick shit house 6-footer over some gangly 6'5" beanpole all day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad