Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Clara was the easy choice for me. He looks like a future starter with size and had a great season in Sweden and an even better playoffs taking his team to the championship with pretty unreal goalie stats.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Suchanek is 2 years older and proven on NA ice but if you're the type who tends to vote on these polls based on ceilings with Clara's physical traits and the fact that he had a very impressive season in his own right leads me to believe his upside is higher
Fair nuff. I do put more stock in experience in NA leagues and I'm always pessimistic about ceilings. I hate trying to project out where they'll top out at, so I'm always gonna prefer competent NHL games vs performing at a lower level league.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I'm missing context on Clara because I tend not to put much stock in players until they're close to the NHL. I know he's been good, but I guess I don't have any idea if he's any better than Suchanek.

Colangelo gets my vote here.
Clara backstopped Brynas to a championship and promotion to the SHL. He also won junior player of the year. He wasn't just good, he was great.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I just don't see a world where Warren is anything more than a bottom pairing guy and I think even that is a long shot.

Despite his physical gifts he couldn't even dominate the Q as an overager and even took a big step back production wise add on top of that how awful he looked at the WJC and his injuries and I just don't see what anyone else sees in him for his name to even be coming up this early.
I'm asking this not to be sarcastic, but did you watch his games in the QMJHL? He was never someone who was going to put up points, probably anywhere.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
This one is honestly such a toss up between several players, and I think a lot of the next few spots will be split/ultimately determined by how much this board views upside versus closeness/established contribution. Clara and Dionicio are the big upside plays here, but then you have Colangelo who didn't look out of place at all at the end of last year and Suchanek, who is undersized but massively contributing at the AHL level. It'll be interesting.

Colangelo has been one of my guys since his draft year so I think I'll go with him, but that may look wildly wrong in a couple years.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I just don't see a world where Warren is anything more than a bottom pairing guy and I think even that is a long shot.

Despite his physical gifts he couldn't even dominate the Q as an overager and even took a big step back production wise add on top of that how awful he looked at the WJC and his injuries and I just don't see what anyone else sees in him for his name to even be coming up this early.
Warren wasn’t an “overager” last year in the Q - not sure what you’re referring to. He’s STILL only 19 - was young for his draft.

As @Static said, there’s just zero offense to him. He’s going to have to be an offense negator at the next level to make it obviously.

He’s on a pretty normal trajectory for a stay at home project D. He’s going to be in the AHL at 20 this season and should get a couple years before evaluating his progress

The concern with Warren is his ability to handle the puck. He needs work on that

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Clara backstopped Brynas to a championship and promotion to the SHL. He also won junior player of the year. He wasn't just good, he was great.
This. So he's gonna play with Silf next year ? They have some former Ducks prospects on Brynas include Kopacka and Axel Andersson.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
I'm asking this not to be sarcastic, but did you watch his games in the QMJHL? He was never someone who was going to put up points, probably anywhere.
yeah I live in Atlantic Canada, I saw him live a few times over the season and watched his other games on television

Reactions: Static

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Warren wasn’t an “overager” last year in the Q - not sure what you’re referring to. He’s STILL only 19 - was young for his draft.

As @Static said, there’s just zero offense to him. He’s going to have to be an offense negator at the next level to make it obviously.

He’s on a pretty normal trajectory for a stay at home project D. He’s going to be in the AHL at 20 this season and should get a couple years before evaluating his progress

The concern with Warren is his ability to handle the puck. He needs work on that
100% agree. Warren has the skating to make the NHL and certainly has the size and physicality. The only issue will be how much he can improve his puck skills but he's going to be an NHL player. Not saying he should be the #6 ranked prospect (that belongs to Clara) but he and Solberg are going to be the defensive rocks of the team in 2-3 years.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Gibson is 6'2 and 210 lbs. Dostal is 6'2 and 188 lbs. Clang is 6'2 and 194 lbs. Suchanek is 6'2 and 181 lbs.

Between Clara's D+0 and D+1 seasons, his talent seems to be matching up to his big size at 6'6 and 214 lbs. He physically is in a different atmosphere compared to our other netminders.

Prior to making his way to Sweden for his D+0 season, Clara was being developed in some lower level leagues such as AlpsHL and ICEYSL. We took a mighty big swing on him in his draft season and a year later looks like a great pick. Although goalies are fickle creatures, Clara's size, talent, and production against men this year sure was tantalizing.

Clarain Sweden
SeasonYearLeagueGPGAASv%ShutoutsWL
2022-23D+0J20
35​
2.79​
0.903​
0​
17​
17​
Playoffs
2​
4.54​
0.883​
0​
0​
2​
2023-24D+1HA (Men's 2nd tier)
34​
2.23​
0.913​
4​
25​
8​
Qualificaton (for SHL)
11​
1.68​
0.931​
0​
10​
1​

Clara improved his game from J20 to the men's league, including 4 shutouts. And then took it to another level in the Qualification round. In his D+0 playoffs, he tanked with his J20 team. Clara not tanking in the Qualification round and excelling is great progress.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I was hoping to see Warren dominate in his D+1 and D+2 seasons, but he's been plagued by injuries. I do hope his injuries are behind him so he can start developing better like Vaak. But if his injuries persist, then his career might follow that of Max Jones - lots of effort with big size and skating, but injuries keep him from ever developing more.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California

I've been going back and forth between Clara and Pettersson but it's hard to ignore Clara's success. Changed my vote.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Voted for Suchanek even though I know he won't be winning this round. I think he just needs some recognition. If Gibson is traded in a year or two, Suchanek could push for a backup spot behind Dostal. Anaheim would have two Czech goalies. Czech mates if you will.

Or... they can be Czech 1 and Czech 2 b/c they've have their costume ready for halloween and Dr. Suess day.

00b309035bd5ef77b64e708583f47295.jpg

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

One could argue that Verbeek (or his scouting staff) valued Warren higher which is why they drafted him over Luneau during their draft year.

The one thing I’m concerned about with our young prospects is how well they can defend. If we can get players who can play the position with size and intensity it makes the core that much better

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Interesting seeing Sidorov’s name mentioned with the next group of players for some.

I’m really rooting for him but that seems pretty ambitious to me.

I would personally put a player like Nesterenko ahead of him any day.

I’m definitely no scout but Sidorov strikes me as a guy who’s game just won’t work in NA professional leagues. I hope I’m wrong

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Interesting seeing Sidorov’s name mentioned with the next group of players for some.

I’m really rooting for him but that seems pretty ambitious to me.

I would personally put a player like Nesterenko ahead of him any day.

I’m definitely no scout but Sidorov strikes me as a guy who’s game just won’t work in NA professional leagues. I hope I’m wrong

I’d say he has a higher ceiling than some guys, but much lower floor. Agree he’s kinda a long shot…. But I’d be lying if I didn’t say he sticks out at the camps…. The big question is if any of his game can translate to the next lvl

Reactions: Vaakou

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
This. So he's gonna play with Silf next year ? They have some former Ducks prospects on Brynas include Kopacka and Axel Andersson.
Unfortunately, I'm like 99% sure that Clara was actually on loan to Brynas from a different club but I can't remember which one it was. I'd be surprised if they let Brynas keep him this coming season.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
One could argue that Verbeek (or his scouting staff) valued Warren higher which is why they drafted him over Luneau during their draft year.

The one thing I’m concerned about with our young prospects is how well they can defend. If we can get players who can play the position with size and intensity it makes the core that much better

With Warren, AGM Madden alluded that some players will need a longer time to develop. Luneau won QMJHL's defenseman of the year in his D+1 season while being teammates with Warren. Warren wasn't picked ahead of Luneau due to talent, but due to Luneau being broken during his D+0 season.

Prior to the start of the D+0 season, Central Scouting had listed Luneau with a A-rating, which is a 1st round talent rating. Other prospects Luneau was projected to be drafted around was Korchinkski (7th OA), Mintyukov (10th), and Mateychuk (12th). Luneau's knee surgery hampered his play in his D+0 season.

Teams didn't know if Luneau's knee could ever recover which is why many teams, including Anaheim passed up on Luneau. We had an extra 2nd round pick and took on that gamble since we didn't own a 3rd round pick that draft. Luneau probably would have fallen into the 3rd round as several teams passed him up twice in the 2nd round before Anaheim selected Luneau at 53rd OA such as Seattle, Arizona, and Detroit.

Luneau still hasn't fully recovered from his knee surgery as he's still missing that explosive burst prior to the surgery. Anaheim is hoping with more time and physical development that Luneau can regain that explosive burst. Luneau tries to compensate that loss of burst by being too aggressive early in his attacks, both offensively and defensively, which oft times didn't work during the rookie tournament and training camp last year.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The next block of players is hard to rank. In no order:
Sam Colangelo
Lucas Pettersson
Yegor Sidorov
Rodwin Dionicio
Damian Clara

Sidorov's skating might be his biggest hindrance. We have a player similar to Sidorov in Pastujov, but Pastujov is a year ahead of Sidorov. If we're not talking about Pastujov into that block of prospects, then we shouldn't have Sidorov in that group either.

Dionicio also has skating issues. From THW on late round gems in the 2023 draft:

The biggest knock to his game is his skating ability. He struggles with his agility, speed, and quickness.
Dionicio is likely to be available late on Day 2 of the draft. He is unranked on many public lists and on the ones he is ranked on, he ranges from 90-172. If a team can grab him late, with the proper development, he could be an exciting addition to any prospect pool.

Maybe Dionicio going across the pond and playing on a larger sheet of ice could help improve his skating because the lack of if could be exposed often on a bigger playing field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad