GDT: 2024 draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I'm starting to wonder if we have an aversion to drafting power forwards. Who was the last forward we drafted larger than 6'1" 210#?

In the lower rounds, combinations of size and skill are few and far between. It's definitely better IMO to draft skill, shrug your shoulders, and wait.

Luke Misa to Calgary. They're having a nice draft and swinging for skill. I wonder if the Canes don't like the short rights-holding of low-round OHL guys like Misa, who are long-term projects, if they ever make it.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Feel like under Karmanos we'd usually draft big boys who all in general never developed their skating skills.

I know at one point, the team had brought in a skating coach (former Olympic medalist IIRC) at prospect camp because most of the draft picks were Bambi on ice.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
In the lower rounds, combinations of size and skill are few and far between. It's definitely better IMO to draft skill, shrug your shoulders, and wait.

Luke Misa to Calgary. They're having a nice draft and swinging for skill.
No. I know. It seems like every time we're in a spot where the easily consensus BPA is a brickhouse, we either go off the board like Nadeau last year or trade down. I'm happy with the Nadeau pick...but this seeming size aversion from a FO that says we need to get bigger and tougher is odd.

Then, I literally could not remember the last time we drafted a forward larger than 6'1" who was also 210#+. Hence the question.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
No. I know. It seems like every time we're in a spot where the easily consensus BPA is a brickhouse, we either go off the board like Nadeau last year or trade down. I'm happy with the Nadeau pick...but this seeming size aversion from a FO that says we need to get bigger and tougher is odd.

Then, I literally could not remember the last time we drafted a forward larger than 6'1" who was also 210#+. Hence the question.

The best I can figure is the big beefy boys who actually will have a future in the league all get drafted by pick 20 or so. I'm sure there's exceptions but that to me seems to be the case

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Maxmilian is a curious take on the name.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
no, but that means we'll have to really mend relationship with Necas, and probably need to look at doing something like getting Laine out of Columbus now.
Is Kadri a rhs?

Rod would love him almost as much as his son Jordan Staal....just saying

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Last few picks make me think that the Borg views smaller players as the “opportunity” this year with other teams focusing on size to mirror Cats.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Is Kadri a rhs?

Rod would love him almost as much as his son Jordan Staal....just saying

No, he's a left-shot, but he's still a great fit for our squad and has aged very well so far.

Timur Kol to the Canes. Another Russian D who I really like as a potential stash-and wait. Good draft so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad