2024 Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Really can’t complain about the results overall here. Not getting a C with actual top 6 upside, let alone 1C, feels like a failure. But I guess you can’t control how the board aligns with your list. I don’t hate any of the Parekh, Gridin, Basha, Battaglia, Mews, or Misa picks - based on my list roughly where they should have gone (or later). I can’t profess to know anything about the players selected after the Misa pick, though.

Of course I get the benefit of hindsight here, but this is what I would have done given what we know about where players ended up now. Ignoring possible signing issues that maybe put us off Buium. You get three F’s who have top 6 upside (one C, one LW, one RW), a D with high end 1 potential, a complete D with probably 3/4 potential, another D that is a wildcard after injuries but was thought to be an elite prospect just a few years ago, and a Russian F who is also a complete wildcard.

9 - Zeev Buium
28 - Igor Chernyshov
41 - Ryder Ritchie
62 - John Mustard
74 - Tarin Smith
84 - Melvin Fernstrom
106 - Aron Kiviharju
150 - Ilya Pautov (or Misa)

Will be interesting to look back on this and the actual haul in a few years, but they did fairly well finding value.
Agreed, a few choices I wouldn’t have made but pumped about this draft overall. We went for high potential offensive guys and we restocked our cupboards in a way we haven’t in at least a decade. Yes I would’ve loved a C in the first round, but can’t complain about going BPA and targeting that 1C at the top of the draft next year.

We’re stacked on D and on the wings now.

Reactions: SaintMorose and Fig

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Reactions: SaintMorose

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
So you don't think the second best center in the draft was the guy to move up for? Catton is absolutely a C at the next level. His two way game is very strong. Much better than Lindstrom's. You've usually been a good poster, but you're all over the place on this draft.
Personally I’m not convinced Catton is a C, I think he’s very good though. Overall, I really like the draft. Seems like we went with skill and didn’t overthink things.

Maybe the trade was never there. Maybe Lindstrom doesn’t turn out to be a number one C. But he has the profile. And those are the guys the Flames should be prioritizing first of all, until they find one. We have a good scouting group but for whatever reason we just don’t pick Cs.

Maybe Zary and Pospisil can be Cs though which would be a huge development.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Personally I’m not convinced Catton is a C, I think he’s very good though. Overall, I really like the draft. Seems like we went with skill and didn’t overthink things.

Maybe the trade was never there. Maybe Lindstrom doesn’t turn out to be a number one C. But he has the profile. And those are the guys the Flames should be prioritizing first of all, until they find one. We have a good scouting group but for whatever reason we just don’t pick Cs.

Maybe Zary and Pospisil can be Cs though which would be a huge development.
I think your last sentence is a key one. I'm not sure Zary is a C or not. I'm sure Pospisil can do it if they decide they want him to.

FWIW, I think Catton is more likely to play C than Lindstrom by a wide margin. I see Catton as having a 80+ percent chance at being a C, where Lindstrom is 50/50. Lindstrom isn't strong in his own end at all. Catton is very good in his own end.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I think your last sentence is a key one. I'm not sure Zary is a C or not. I'm sure Pospisil can do it if they decide they want him to.
I think Pospy is a C, but probably for a skill & grit third line (picture like the Hathaway/Ryan/Mangiapane line we had for a while. Skill, grit, defensively responsible).

We're going to be drafting too high to take Michael
He's (early projections) a top 5 guy. so like if we draft third or fourth, wouldn't be out of place.

Overall, I'm happy with the draft. The only one I am still bummed about is Silayev (Silayev was my #2 for the 9th pick after Catton, and I didn't even expect Silayev to make it that far). I see his floor as a top 4, with a ceiling being a top pair shut down guy who is dangerous enough offensively to at least force people to respect his shot (even if he would never normally be on the PP or considered and offensively gifted d-man).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Most of our GMs since 2003 have be cited as geniuses in the first couple/few years of their tenure and then became public enemy #1 in the last couple years of their tenure and hailed as terrible by the fanbase, despite more good years than bad..

So maybe we should take a step back from dishing out praise before we know how it's working out so we don't do the same to Connie

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Most of our GMs since 2003 have be cited as geniuses in the first couple/few years of their tenure and then became public enemy #1 in the last couple years of their tenure and hailed as terrible by the fanbase, despite more good years than bad..

So maybe we should take a step back from dishing out praise before we know how it's working out so we don't do the same to Connie
or maybe let people enjoy literally the one good thing happening to this franchise at the moment.?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Only 4 Americans were drafted in the first round while 18 Canadian boys were picked. 4 Russians were also drafted. Overall the Flames drafted 8 Canadians and 2 Russians.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Most drafts I end up being disappointed with a lot of our picks. This one's different.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Most drafts I end up being disappointed with a lot of our picks. This one's different.
I think a big part of it this year, is even if you disagree with a pick or two, you can actively see the plan they're going for. Where before, there was some picks you loved, some picks you absolutely hated, but no real cohesive vision of what we were trying to go for.

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad