2024 Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Pre-dicks:

9 - Catton
28 - Beaudoin
41 - C Linus Eriksson
62 - D Sebastian Soini
74 - RW Carson Wetsch
84 - D Tomas Lavoie
106 - G Zach Pelletier
107 - D Elliot Groenewold
170 - F James Reeder

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Most of it I get, but the complete absense of Silayev in the top 12 baffles me. If he scored a little more (and if he weren't Russian), there'd be no question he'd be a top 3 (and arguably, potential #1 instead of Celebrini). As it is, he's arguably the best skater in the draft (skating ability wise), is 6'7, just set scoring records in the KHL for a 17 year old (turned 18 over a month after the season was over), is physical, and has played a steady shut down middle pairing role on a playoff team. He's also been a captain or alternate on pretty much every international team he's played on.
I just haven't seen enough of him. What I have seen reminds me of Tyler Myers. Admittedly what I've seen of him is clips and highlights. The only guys my opinion on is very informed are the WHL guys. The other guys are mostly scouting report reading, clips viewed and WJHC for a couple of them.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
levshunov/buium/Parekh/Lindstrom above Tij for the upside but other guys like Helenius/Dickinson/Silayev are tossups, gonna be a crazy pick

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Hey guys, any link on YouTube I could try watching it live tomorrow? Start is scheduled to 1am my local time.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
apparently Jarome is sitting with Tij in the audience.

How hilarious would it be if it's the Flames turn to draft:
- J. Iggy runs down from the stands to the podium to announce the Flames draft pick.
- J. Iggy's son T. Iggy is being drafted by the Flames
- T. Iggy then runs down from the stands to hug his dad.
- Rest of the draft announcement goes on as normal minus Conroy probably grabs the mic from J.Iggy and starts telling stories until the pics start and/or Bettman kicks him off the mic.

It's just me thinking and adapting a page off from the 2020 draft (ie: Alex Trebek announcing Ottawa pick)

Reactions: InfinityIggy

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
- J. Iggy runs down from the stands to the podium to announce the Flames draft pick.
- Rest of the draft announcement goes on as normal minus Conroy probably grabs the mic from J.Iggy and starts telling stories until the pics start and/or Bettman kicks him off the mic.

It's just me thinking and adapting a page off from the 2020 draft (ie: Alex Trebek announcing Ottawa pick)
"Setting up the pick?"

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Personally wouldn't take a guy without much offense to his game in the top 10. I get the Silayev appeal but I'd have him in the mid-teens.

The 28th pick could go a bunch of different ways. I like a lot of guys in that area so maybe could even get one of them with one of our 2nds. Miettinen is a guy who I haven't seen get much love but a big smooth skating center with great hands around the net would make me happy.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I’d be quite disappointed if Silayev were on the board at #9 and Conroy went another route. I’d be similarly disappointed if they took Miettenen in the 1st - he’s a clear 2nd round talent for me when guys like Ritchie, Parascak, Beaudion, Hage, Pettersson, Stiga, Surin, etc. all have a chance to be there.

But hey, that’s the good thing about the draft. Maybe he doesn’t end up being a clear 2nd round guy once development takes its course.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

After Tiggy's press thing Connie will tell stories of when when Iggy, Tiggy & Jiggy used to come over Xmas eve and watch teh santa tracker in the basement

• Haha
Reactions: Fig

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Would love for it to play out something like this:

#9 - Berkly Catton/Tij Iginla
#28 - Ryder Ritchie/Lucas Pettersson/Terik Parascak
#41 - Dominik Badinka/Jesse Pulkinnen
#62 - Leon Muggli/Max Plante
#74 - Max Plante/Carson Wetsch
#84 - Melvin Fernstrom/Tarin Smith/Ondrej Becher
#106 - AJ Spellacy
#107 - Noel Fransen
#170 - Ilya Pautov

Overall, not a big fan of D in the 1st round when that’s the strongest part of the prospect pool. The 2nd round on offers plenty of D that add value to our pool (don’t have guys like Badinka or Pulkinnen).

Also not a fan of taking a G this year. Plenty of Russians developing in the pool. Plus, next year will be a much better class for them with Harenstam, Ravensbergen, D’Aigle, Ivankovic, etc.

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010

It's Calgary. Tij immediately wants a trade.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Hey guys, any link on YouTube I could try watching it live tomorrow? Start is scheduled to 1am my local time.
Not sure, most of the options are on the other side of the pond from you. Wonder if the Fan960 would have draft coverage streaming? Not much to "watch" anyway, really. Just wonder if that's also geo-locked.

• Love
Reactions: joescores

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Trade up whatever it takes to get Lindstrom. This team has a decent stable of D and W. we need a C so fricken bad.

I’d give up our 9, 28 and the mang pick for him

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Trade up whatever it takes to get Lindstrom. This team has a decent stable of D and W. we need a C so fricken bad.

I’d give up our 9, 28 and the mang pick for him
Pass. He's already had a herniated disc in his back, it's rare that won't get aggravated again in the future. I'd rather keep the bullets and get Catton or Iginla and see if they succeed at center next year

Reactions: User1996

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I have my heart set on the Flames picking Iginla.
Ready to have my heart broken.

Would be amazing to get another top 15 pick.

I think Montreal and Seattle are the two real threats to take him. If Montreal passes we just need Seattle to take one of the defensemen and he'll be available.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
It's interesting having the amount of draft capital we have and looking at trading up.

Trading up with the 1st round tiers this year is going to be tough I don't see a ton after 13/14 that won't be there at 28, same with after 3/4 and 9 feels like the teams that trade back within a tier will be getting more out of the deal and trading into one of those tiers from outside will be tough (though apparently Buffalo feels pretty good about 14th).

I think the Kylington trade 76th and 83rd for 60 is what we should be looking for/expecting this year. It will take the right guy falling after our own 2nd round pick, but using a 4th to bump the dallas 2nd or both 3rds if we have 2 guys close (using the somewhat unrealistic example of Wotherspoon and Kucherov).

I'll be pretty excited to see it happen, but if it doesn't I have to assume we just didn't see 'that guy' on our draft board fall and we'll just shoot all the darts we have.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Catton has C potential.
Catton is a little slight to be the 3rd guy in the defensive zone imo. I’d say the same about Helenius too, he might lack the physicality to win the puck in the corner. Iginla lacks the foot speed. I do like all 3 and if we stay at 9 we get a good player.

I just think we’ve accrued all these picks, Conroy has done a great job in that regard. Why not move up and try to get that guy with the skill set to be a top line C? It’s the type of aggressive move this team hasn’t done for 30 years. We still have an absolute boatload of picks, a strong scouting staff and a prospect pool with lots of guys who project to be middle of the roster players. The late first will be more guys of that ilk that we don’t necessarily need anyway. Time to take a swing at a player that this organization has lacked since Nieuwendyk, who oddly enough is who Lindstrom reminds me of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad