Confirmed with Link: Ducks qualify LaCombe, Nesterenko, and Regenda, non-tender Jones, Groulx, Vaakanainen, Leason, Lindstrom, Tracey, McLaughlin

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
letting Vaaks walk really solidifies how absolutely terrible the Lindholm trade was.

Some think that letting go of Lindholm was the only way the team was able to land Carlsson and Sennecke. If both turn out to be elite or all-star level, then the trade was worth it as the playoff window is extended longer with the youths. The longer we remain out of the playoffs and those players don't become elite or all-star level, then the trade doesn't favor the Ducks.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Some think that letting go of Lindholm was the only way the team was able to land Carlsson and Sennecke. If both turn out to be elite or all-star level, then the trade was worth it as the playoff window is extended longer with the youths. The longer we remain out of the playoffs and those players don't become elite or all-star level, then the trade doesn't favor the Ducks.
Silver lining...the 2nd round pick used to trade up for Solberg was Boston's obtained in the Lindlholm trade. So one could argue that the trade has turned into Gaucher, Clara, and Solberg. Not bad when all is said and done.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I believe the players not resigned who were on the Ducks last year were all qualified for arbitration. Perhaps Verbeek does not like arbitration, so it's signed voluntarily or take your chances on the outside world. Whether they get resigned on or after tomorrow will depend upon their salary demands, whether any other team will meet them, and who the Ducks sign in Free Agency.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I believe the players not resigned who were on the Ducks last year were all qualified for arbitration. Perhaps Verbeek does not like arbitration, so it's signed voluntarily or take your chances on the outside world. Whether they get resigned on or after tomorrow will depend upon their salary demands, whether any other team will meet them, and who the Ducks sign in Free Agency.
Regenda is also arb eligible

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

The Lindholm trade facilitated us getting Solberg and also helped us tank enough to get Minty in 22 and Carlsson in 23 among other assets. I'm very happy we traded him.
i dont really agree that it works that way, but agree to disagree.

Reactions: Kalv

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
Thought Vaaks was one of the key pieces in the Lindholm trade. Surprised PV is non-tendering him, but probably negotiating a return at a lower rate .

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Vaak was worth keeping but the other ones are fair i think. I love Jones but injuries really derailed him. I still think he's a quality energy 4th liner when healthy, but you just can't depend on him staying in the lineup.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Vaakanainen is the only one who surprises me, partly because he was a Verbeek acquisition and partly because I thought he took a good step last year. I'd like to see him back.

Jones doesn't surprise me, but I'd like to see him get a shot on the 4th line. The Ducks have so few guys with speed, I still think he can be a nice 4th liner.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Thought Vaaks was one of the key pieces in the Lindholm trade. Surprised PV is non-tendering him, but probably negotiating a return at a lower rate .

I think having three rookie LD's debuting this year at the NHL level kinda leaves LD Vaaks on the outside looking in. The three LD's are Minty, LaCombe, and Zell. If Luneau is expected at the NHL level next year along with Verbeek acquiring a top-6 RD, then there might be a need to retain RD Lindstrom instead of LD Vaak. Gudas helped Vaak look good, but Lindstrom helped himself out to look good with no Gudas quality on the left side.

Left Shot d-men at NHL level
  • Fowler
  • Minty
  • LaCombe
  • Zell

Right Shot d-men at NHL level (projected)
  • Top-6 summer acquisition
  • Gudas
  • Luneau

We could really use another RD in case Luneau can't stay up with the NHL club. If Verbeek is okay with some LD's playing RD, then I wouldn't mind Vaak returning, especially since he PK's.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
So the Montour and Theodore trades pretty much netted us nothing

Outstanding job Bob you should have been fired when was given the boot
And the Lindholm trade is waiting to see what becomes of Gaucher, now that vaaks turned into a non tendered asset.
I wonder if Vaaks is gone for good because now the LD spots are less crowded and only 1 of LaCombe, Zellweger and Fowler has to play RD.

One has to wonder how the rebuild would look if it started sooner. A higher pick in 2019 by trading Lindholm, Rakell and Silf(when he was tradeable), getting more for each of rakell and lindholm as well as getting something for Silf.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
And the Lindholm trade is waiting to see what becomes of Gaucher, now that vaaks turned into a non tendered asset.
I wonder if Vaaks is gone for good because now the LD spots are less crowded and only 1 of LaCombe, Zellweger and Fowler has to play RD.

One has to wonder how the rebuild would look if it started sooner. A higher pick in 2019 by trading Lindholm, Rakell and Silf(when he was tradeable), getting more for each of rakell and lindholm as well as getting something for Silf.
We used one of the seconds in the Lindholm trade to get solberg and the other to draft Damian Clara, one of the best goaltending prospects in the league.

That trade tree has a ways to go in bearing fruit.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
gaucher won't amount to shit in the NHL. better hope those picks amount to something, because damn is that trade looking like an all time bad one for the ducks

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I'm not terribly surprised by Jones. His hockey IQ is awful and he loses a ton of battles (despite working hard), both things that Verbeek emphasizes. If you really watch Jones closely on a shift-by-shift basis, he's making a ton of poor plays out there. they might've just finally had enough and then you pair that with him getting hurt quite often as well.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
We used one of the seconds in the Lindholm trade to get solberg and the other to draft Damian Clara, one of the best goaltending prospects in the league.

That trade tree has a ways to go in bearing fruit.
I honestly forgot they still had draft picks from the trade and that one of them was used on Clara. That definitely makes up for Gaucher pick. But imagine if they picked Snuggie over Gaucher how good it'd look now.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I'm not terribly surprised by Jones. His hockey IQ is awful and he loses a ton of battles (despite working hard), both things that Verbeek emphasizes. If you really watch Jones closely on a shift-by-shift basis, he's making a ton of poor plays out there. they might've just finally had enough and then you pair that with him getting hurt quite often as well.

I have no attachment to Jones at all, I'm happy he's gone.

Edit: we need durable, high-energy, aggressive 4th liners

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay