2024 Draft

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
A first round pick to drop 4 spots.
No. Not even remotely.
Another one coming in peace....but I think the cost to move up is higher than you think and 28 seems fair to get the guy you want at #5. What are the chances that #28 pans out? I would think that the price is a prospect instead of a late pick.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Another one coming in peace....but I think the cost to move up is higher than you think and 28 seems fair to get the guy you want at #5. What are the chances that #28 pans out? I would think that the price is a prospect instead of a late pick.

Give it a rest.

Trading a 5 year old minivan and a 15 year old sports car for a brand new Tesla SUV is probably a fair deal too. But it does not make sense for a family of 4 where both parents have to take turns to drive from different work locations to pick up and drop off their kids.

Fundamentally, adding assets to go from 9 to 5 is not something the Flames are considering.

Could the 15 year old sports car stop working leaving the family with a single vehicle that's older than if they traded? Sure. Does the Tesla offer benefits that the other two cannot offer at all? Yep. But the family automatically has to work around an undesirable revised schedule if they make the trade.

Stop asking about the idea of the Flames trading up with Montreal.

• Haha
Reactions: FLAMESFAN

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
While we’re talking about odds - what are the odds the player you get at 9, has as good, or better of a career as the player you get at 5? Especially this year considering the variance in rankings in that range. Probably pretty good. So how is that jump worth 28?

I feel like there’s a hope among Habs fans that they can extort the Flames because of Iginla. And that’s spilled onto our board multiple times at this point, for which we always give the same answer.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
There’s a really easy way to put this, the same reason Montreal fans are so keen on trading down and collecting assets for it is the same reason Flames fan don’t want to trade up.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Value wise it’s fair. But it still makes no sense for Calgary. Unless Demidov falls to 5 the calibre of player will be very similar at 5 and 9.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Go way in peace as well. The only reason Habs fans are coming on this board is because Iginla.
In some drafts maybe the cost will be higher than that but not this one its been clear in all the draft write ups that 4 to 10 are almost interchangeable and there is a decent chance that the player the Flames would take at 5 will be there at 9 since this is a d heavy draft. The last thing Calgary should be doing when retooling and rebuilding their prospect pool is to overpay either by giving up a prospect or a 1st to move up 4 spots.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB

Always interesting to see what Tod's brother thinks, since they often think alike.

Iginla at 3 though?
I’d be surprised if he did go 3. But I do believe Tig will be one of the best players from this draft. The defensemen at the top are very enticing and should push some forwards down. But I trust Craig a lot. My brother and I were with him at a tournament in Bonnyville when Cale Makar was playing there. This was before Makar was being noticed. He told us to keep our eyes on him and suggested he’d be a top 5 pick well before anyone else was talking about him. I’ve actually known Craig since I was a teenager and he was GM of the Flames. He has always been an excellent scout and I’ve always enjoyed listening to him talk hockey prospects.

Last edited:

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Seems to change weekly for me of who might be available at 9 that would be a bit of a surprise. This week I’m thinking Parekh is there and that we take him. Next week I’m sure it’ll be someone different lol

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Button seems like a guy that puts out his list exactly how he sees it. I can’t help but think many “experts” put out lists are heavily influenced by other lists - creating some sort of false consensus.

Of course there are massive hits and incredible misses, but kudos for publishing his opinion.

I’m just finalizing my 1-32, and working on 33-96 and the amount of straying from the consensus reminded me of Button’s lists a little bit.

Last edited:

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I wonder how close the below would be:

9th Calgary
50% retained Mangiapane
62nd Dallas

For

5th Montreal

I think Conny and Jarome would love to get Tij. And I don't love our chances at 9

Khrox

May 31, 2018

9th Calgary
50% retained Mangiapane
62nd Dallas

For

5th Montreal

I think Conny and Jarome would love to get Tij. And I don't love our chances at 9
Absolutely not. Given the fact that from about 4-10 there isn't a huge difference on quality of player, moving up 4 spots to get a guy of similar value, and giving up other assets in the process just doesn't appeal to me

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Button seems like a guy that puts out his list exactly how he sees it. I can’t help but think many “experts” put out lists are heavily influenced by other lists - creating some sort of false consensus.

Of course there are massive hits and incredible misses, but kudos for publishing his opinion.

I’m just finalizing my 1-32, and working on 33-96 and the amount of straying from the consensus reminded me of Button’s lists a little bit.
It could also be the difference between straight up rankings and people taking into account who a team in that position may draft.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

9th Calgary
50% retained Mangiapane
62nd Dallas

For

5th Montreal

The Dallas pick is a hard no for me. Also holding on Mangi when we already just burnt a spot.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I would like Teddy Stiga or Cole Beaudoin with our 28th pick. I really want to be a tough team to play against.
I wouldn’t describe Stiga as a “hard to play against” type from a traditional standpoint. The skill and speed make him hard to play against, but I don’t see a super physical presence there or anything.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022

9th Calgary
50% retained Mangiapane
62nd Dallas

For

5th Montreal

Leaf fan here. You guys should just trade Mangiapane for picks not including him to move up. Keep stockpiling the picks. You guys have 2 firsts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds, 2 fourths plus your other picks. Stockpile for 2025

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I just want Catton at 9. I think he's gone before then, but he's so clearly the best WHLer in this draft. I haven't seen the guys in other leagues to really comment, but I question the hockey acumen of anyone who has seen Tij and Catton play who thinks Tij is better.

I think we better study the Russian contingent for picks 28 onward. We've been heavily scouting Russia and I think we're going there heavily this draft.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

9th Calgary
50% retained Mangiapane
62nd Dallas

For

5th Montreal

I'd rather trade out of this year's draft with the 9OA pick than trade up.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I just want Catton at 9. I think he's gone before then, but he's so clearly the best WHLer in this draft. I haven't seen the guys in other leagues to really comment, but I question the hockey acumen of anyone who has seen Tij and Catton play who thinks Tij is better.

I think we better study the Russian contingent for picks 28 onward. We've been heavily scouting Russia and I think we're going there heavily this draft.
I could for sure see us looking hard at Artamanov, Surin & Shurivan.
Despite that mock draft, I don't see Chernyshov dropping to 28.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Sounds like it will be a Dallas otter/Robertson home run draft of he does.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think we could be looking to Russia in all rounds. I'm betting we see 2 to 4 picks from there when all rounds are over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad