2024 Draft

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I disagree. Tij has way more skill and Sennecke only really took off when he started playing with Cal Ritchie. He’s a middle six winger which we already have lots of. I prefer Helenius too. There are about 6D and 6F I take before him
Watch his film, so many of of his points come almost entirely from individual efforts, I don’t know how someone can come out of it and say he was carried by his linemate. One of his bigger critiques is that he’s TOO puck dominant, and tries to do too much himself despite being one of the classes best playmakers. He was also just Bambi-esque to start the season, a trait that was still present at the end of the year but a lot less pronounced.

Go watch more of him, because this kid is extremely skilled and definitely doesn’t scream middle 6. Also saying you prefer Helenius to him because of skill and likely only ending up as a middle 6 option is a fairly backwards opinion, no? Helenius is one of the few forwards I’d hate for Calgary to pick. I feel like he’s just everyone over correcting for letting Sebastian Aho slip passed them to the 2nd round.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Watch his film, so many of of his points come almost entirely from individual efforts, I don’t know how someone can come out of it and say he was carried by his linemate. One of his bigger critiques is that he’s TOO puck dominant, and tries to do too much himself despite being one of the classes best playmakers. He was also just Bambi-esque to start the season, a trait that was still present at the end of the year but a lot less pronounced.

Go watch more of him, because this kid is extremely skilled and definitely doesn’t scream middle 6. Also saying you prefer Helenius to him because of skill and likely only ending up as a middle 6 option is a fairly backwards opinion, no? Helenius is one of the few forwards I’d hate for Calgary to pick. I feel like he’s just everyone over correcting for letting Sebastian Aho slip passed them to the 2nd round.
Haha no. Helenius is a C who uses his linemates and who has Aho upside, although he more likely ends up a 2C.

Players who dominate 1 on 1 battles in the CHL don’t translate to the NHL. I like players that use their line mates and make players around them better, someone with first line upside like Iginla, Catton. Or a triggerman like Eisermann.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Roughly the same pace that Lindstrom had in an equally small sample size, with Lindstrom likely being picked around 5 even with his injury (he’s also a centre which helps). Really hoping we either get Catton or Sennecke. Two highest potential offensive threats after Celebrini/Demidov if they pan out.
Wouldn’t be upset with him at all at 9. Not my first choice, and I’m the poster boy for criticizing picks and opinions that are focused primarily on size, but in this case I think it’s size and skill. If he develops properly, I could see him being a force.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Haha no. Helenius is a C who uses his linemates and who has Aho upside, although he more likely ends up a 2C.

Players who dominate 1 on 1 battles in the CHL don’t translate to the NHL. I like players that use their line mates and make players around them better, someone with first line upside like Iginla, Catton. Or a triggerman like Eisermann.
Helenius has Aho upside in the sense that he doesn’t really do anything elite, but his brain makes up for it. I think it’d be an absolute outlier for him to get there though, and he more than likely settles into that 2-3C role as a mid 50 point contributor. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but at 9 I’d much rather guys with much higher potential.

Sennecke’s playmaking is one of his greater strengths, he definitely still utilizes his linemates. He’s just an amazing line driver and you seemed to allude to him more as a passenger to Ritchie which is blatantly untrue. He just has extremely silky hands and seems to be figuring out what he can and can’t do with his new frame. He’s definitely guilty of attacking players head on too often which he will have to adjust, but when he’s at his best he’s using his length for puck protection instead which is extremely projectable. If he hits you’re getting a 70-80 point RW loves having the puck on his stick.

Wouldn’t be upset with him at all at 9. Not my first choice, and I’m the poster boy for criticizing picks and opinions that are focused primarily on size, but in this case I think it’s size and skill. If he develops properly, I could see him being a force.
He’s my “consolation prize” if Lindstrom, Catton, and Iginla are off the board, and honestly I wouldnt be overly mad if we bet on his skill over Iginla but I doubt our organization would risk that for a boom/bust pick like Sennecke. I also think Sennecke has a small chance to end up better than Catton, but you can’t pass up the sheer amount of skill Catton has.

Last edited:
Reactions: User1996

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I think Catton is the typical player that HF falls in love with, but scouts and GM’s likely don’t see the same.

I think it’s probably a safe bet to think Celebrini, Levshunov, Silayev, Lindstrom, Demidov, and maybe Dickinson are gone by 9. I say that because they generally are indisputably the most talented of the class, have one or two attributes that tend to be highly valued by teams (ie, size or a perceived jack-of-all trades).

Then you get into the next group that may or may not be there at #9. Buium shouldn’t be, but there seems to be a really heavy bias towards larger D now more than recently, with Vegas and now Florida having success with that. For that same reason, I could see Yakemchuk sneaking into the top 10. The narrative seems to be intensifying that Iginla won’t be there at #9. Parekh is probably the next best RHD option after Levshunov in many teams eyes. I think lots of people are sleeping on Helenius because “no elite trait”, but I don’t think they should be.

Long story short, this is going to be a very entertaining draft - it really is wide open. There’s probably going to be at least one surprise ahead of us, leaving a very good player on the board we may not have thought there was a chance at getting.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Here are the draft results from the mock draft we did. I was the flames.

1 (9th) - Berkly Catton C, Spokane Chiefs (WHL)
1 (28th) - Jett Luchanko C, Guelph Storm (OHL)
2 (41st) - Matvei Shuravin D, Krasnaya Armiya Moskva (MHL)
2 (62nd) - Will Skahan D, USA U-18 (NTDP)
3 (69th) - Simon Zether C, Rogle BK (SHL)
3 (84th) - Riley Patterson C, Barrier (OHL)
4 (106th) - AJ Spellacy C/RW, Windsor (OHL)
4 (107th) - Eriks Mateiko LW, Saint John, QMJHL)

Cheers

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Here are the draft results from the mock draft we did. I was the flames.

1 (9th) - Berkly Catton C, Spokane Chiefs (WHL)
1 (28th) - Jett Luchanko C, Guelph Storm (OHL)
2 (41st) - Matvei Shuravin D, Krasnaya Armiya Moskva (MHL)
2 (62nd) - Will Skahan D, USA U-18 (NTDP)
3 (69th) - Simon Zether C, Rogle BK (SHL)
3 (84th) - Riley Patterson C, Barrier (OHL)
4 (106th) - AJ Spellacy C/RW, Windsor (OHL)
4 (107th) - Eriks Mateiko LW, Saint John, QMJHL)

Cheers
Can't complain. I like the truculence you got there after 30 :thumbu:

Reactions: McDoused

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Habs fan coming in peace.

Just about everyone is hoping for either Demidov or Lindstrom at #5. If both players are picked before #5 I feel like trading down may be the best option.

Would the Flames be interested in something like #5 for #9 and #28?

• Haha
Reactions: MakeCgyGreatAgain

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Just about everyone is hoping for either Demidov or Lindstrom at #5. If both players are picked before #5 I feel like trading down may be the best option.

A first round pick to drop 4 spots.
No. Not even remotely.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

User1996

Jun 24, 2020

Not even a little bit

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

We'll give you #28 to satisfy the remaining condition in the Sean Monahan trade.

Deal?

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

why not just take the best player available at 5? Why all this 4D chess? These kids are hard to project.

Reactions: Blueston

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Apparently, Bransegg-Nygard did an interview and predicted it would be one of three teams that drafts him - Calgary, Chicago, and I forget the third.

This is information I got from the main boards, but don’t have a link to the direct source.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
A massive bit of a reach at 9, no?
Yes, but I’m curious if he’s the target if the rumours are true that the Flames are looking to get another pick in the 10-15 range.

Third team was Detroit (15) and Chicago has 18 - which seems roughly like the range he’ll go. Probably enters the conversation around 12

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If Tij and Catton are both gone at 9, that means one of the highly ranked D-men are on the board.

I would love to get a highly skilled forward but we should be going BPA here.

Celebrini (lol), Levshunov, Silayev, Demidov, Lindstrom, Buium, Catton, Parekh, Iginla. < If we don't walk away with one of these guys, I think that a miss.
What about Dickinson?

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Button has us taking Silayev. I really like it. We need a banger on the backend and I think he could be a great partner for Bruskie in the future. I also think he has some of the highest potential in the draft.

There are a lot of good forwards likely available at 28 and getting a blue chipper on the blue line makes a lot of sense imo.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I honestly have no clue what the plan is. We could draft, trade down, trade the pick(s) etc. All seem like valid options depending on the situation and what we can get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad