2024 Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I'm hopiong it's not like 2014, because while 1-3 and 8/9 worked out, that draft still had Bennett, Dal Colle, Virtanen, H. Fleury, and N. Ritchie go top 10, none of whom go top 10 in a redraft, most wouldn't even go 1st round.

I trust in our scouts and our mandate, so actually, I disagree with this. Although, I think our opinion is actually the same.

What you're describing is exactly what I want to see in the top 10. Just not to us. This way, we end up snagging an excellent faller at 9 (ie: Ehlers/Nylander calibre) because of what the other teams scouts do "incorrectly" (MDC/Virtanen/Fleury/Ritchie etc. calibre).

Reactions: InfinityIggy

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I have a hard time seeing Dickingson/Buium both getting past Seattle, but Dickinson at #9 and a fwd like Parascak at 28 is ideal imo

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I trust in our scouts and our mandate, so actually, I disagree with this. Although, I think our opinion is actually the same.

What you're describing is exactly what I want to see in the top 10. Just not to us. This way, we end up snagging an excellent faller at 9 (ie: Ehlers/Nylander calibre) because of what the other teams scouts do "incorrectly" (MDC/Virtanen/Fleury/Ritchie etc. calibre).
I smell what you're cooking

Reactions: Figgy44

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Man was watching Dickinson on TSN and they did a close up of an end to end rush he did and he looked exactly like Hanifin. Saying that I now think he’s gone by 9 also. If we have Catton in our top 9 I think he’s ours.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Trade up bullshit nonsense... Those last games parricularly against Sharks and Coyotes were all lined up for us to be picking 5th... You manage games like this with brain... No chance trading up now, you made your bed....

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Jarome on Tij:

"“He played center growing up for the most part,” said Jarome. “When he started in Seattle, playing as a 16-year-old, he probably played half and half, center and wing, but he didn’t play that much. So then this year, he played wing pretty much the whole time. But he talked to the coach going out and next year he’ll work at trying to get him to play center. He enjoyed center more. He wants to be a center. The coach said he’ll give him a chance next year. So yeah, I think he’ll probably be a center."

Reactions: User1996

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I think if the long term outlook is a C, you might as well kiss the chances of him being available at #9 goodbye. I’ve been wrong before though

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
This came out a few weeks ago during the U18's.

Just don't tell Montreal fans, lol

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Wish list at 28:
Artamanov, Poirier, Hage, Greentree, Luchanko, Connelly, Chernyshov, Wallenius, Freij, Hutson, Erickson, Mews, O’Reilly.

And before someone says Poirier is too small, guy scored 69 goals in 85 games and is a few weeks away from being eligible for the 2025 draft. He’s also 185 pounds and built like a running back.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
And before someone says Poirier is too small, guy scored 69 goals in 85 games and is a few weeks away from being eligible for the 2025 draft. He’s also 185 pounds and built like a running back.
Too soon to be taking him in the top 30. I think he's there in round 2 for either selection and I'd be fine taking the risk with Dallas' pick.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Too soon to be taking him in the top 30. I think he's there in round 2 for either selection and I'd be fine taking the risk with Dallas' pick.
See I just disagree. The first round should be about finding guys who can be top line players. I’d much rather take some swings on guys and have a few misses than get guys who are middle six types which we already have lots of. He’s about the 20th best player available in this draft. Someone is going to take a chance on him and someone is going to end up with a very good player.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
See I just disagree. The first round should be about finding guys who can be top line players. I’d much rather take some swings on guys and have a few misses than get guys who are middle six types which we already have lots of. He’s about the 20th best player available in this draft. Someone is going to take a chance on him and someone is going to end up with a very good player.
There will be about 100 players that can be top line players.

The only difference with Poirier is that if he isn't a top six guy he's Matthew Philips. Other guys might be able to carve out a niche career as a role player.

That said I've never seen him play and maybe he's awesome and I'm talking out of my ass. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I’m hoping tat the way the draft falls has us walking away with a F and D from the 1st. Like, I’m a big believer in BPA, but a Buium/Ritchie or Catton/Friej would be big for the prospect pool.

Then the early 2nd likely gives you one of Stiga, Emery, Josephson, Poirier, etc.

Thinking about it, you almost hope Craig stands pat and lets his scouts take shots in high upside players all draft - everyone knows we need talent on the NHL roster and the prospect pool.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I really doubt Poirier will go in the 1st rnd.

With guys like Freij & Solberg gaining steam, others fall back a bit. We're still getting a good prospect at 28th.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Waiting for McKenzie’s final rankings but if Iginla goes before nine we are getting a great player I believe. Now I see it this way -

I’m dropping Eiserman, Yakemchuk, Catton and Sennecke from consideration here.

Celebrini is out obviously.

You got five D - Dickinson, Parekh, Levshunov, Silayev and Buium.

Two forwards - Lindstrom, Demidov

One wildcard - Helenius. How good will he be???? He’s intriguing for sure.

So Iginla goes before 9. We should then see one of the five D or Demidov or Lindstrom walking to the podium to put on the flaming C. But if Helenius’s name is called should we be upset?

However it turns out we are getting an exciting player.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Waiting for McKenzie’s final rankings but if Iginla goes before nine we are getting a great player I believe. Now I see it this way -

I’m dropping Eiserman, Yakemchuk, Catton and Sennecke from consideration here.

Celebrini is out obviously.

You got five D - Dickinson, Parekh, Levshunov, Silayev and Buium.

Two forwards - Lindstrom, Demidov

One wildcard - Helenius. How good will he be???? He’s intriguing for sure.

So Iginla goes before 9. We should then see one of the five D or Demidov or Lindstrom walking to the podium to put on the flaming C. But if Helenius’s name is called should we be upset?

However it turns out we are getting an exciting player.
But Catton is very much in consideration. The other 3 likely 10-15

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I know the Flames weren't in love with this draft, and as we draw nearer to it, I have to assume there are some shiny new toys biases to want and make some additional picks. That all being said, would honestly love to see if Calgary could get back into the top half of the draft somehow.

If they walked out of there with Catton/Lindstrom and Iginla, two Western Canadian kids, with big time skill and upside you'd have to view this as a major win for the club. I don't think they'll be able to get back into the top half here, but it'd be cool to dream.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I know the Flames weren't in love with this draft, and as we draw nearer to it, I have to assume there are some shiny new toys biases to want and make some additional picks. That all being said, would honestly love to see if Calgary could get back into the top half of the draft somehow.

If they walked out of there with Catton/Lindstrom and Iginla, two Western Canadian kids, with big time skill and upside you'd have to view this as a major win for the club. I don't think they'll be able to get back into the top half here, but it'd be cool to dream.
It’s funny how teams in the NBA treat 1st round picks like they grow on trees even though there are only 2 rounds. You’d never hear the end of it in the NHL if a 3rd overall pick got traded on the draft floor and blossomed into a top 2/3 player in the league (Doncic).

Meanwhile, in one of the worst drafts in modern NHL history, orgs will still tightly hold onto their top 15 picks as if they could all be gold

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It’s funny how teams in the NBA treat 1st round picks like they grow on trees even though there are only 2 rounds. You’d never hear the end of it in the NHL if a 3rd overall pick got traded on the draft floor and blossomed into a top 2/3 player in the league (Doncic).

Meanwhile, in one of the worst drafts in modern NHL history, orgs will still tightly hold onto their top 15 picks as if they could all be gold

Incredibly strange when you look at it versus the NBA.
Probably a bit more similar to the NFL, yet their drafts have direct correlation to their rosters. Guys drafted in the 4,5,6,7th rounds are expected to play the season they're drafted. Whether it's special teams, backups or starters. Like, there's no missing on a first rounder, a missed first rounder creates Browns cycles.

NHL it's held so tight to the chest, and yet we still see that drafting a guy who'll play in the NHL isn't even guaranteed for the first 20 picks of the draft.

It's funny, because Vegas completely went against the norm; and will likely be a cup favourite for the start of next season. There's rumours the Devils want to move that 10th for goalie help, and the suggestion of Markstrom + 28th is like a ridiculous overpay from Devils fans. You're telling me, that a team that should be entering a win-now window, who's drafted top 5-10 about a million times the past decade has no interest in moving a guy who's going to be 2-3-4 years away for a proven starting goalie that can give you 60+ starts a year, for two more years, at a reasonable cap hit, isn't worth moving down ~20 picks?

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
Incredibly strange when you look at it versus the NBA.
Probably a bit more similar to the NFL, yet their drafts have direct correlation to their rosters. Guys drafted in the 4,5,6,7th rounds are expected to play the season they're drafted. Whether it's special teams, backups or starters. Like, there's no missing on a first rounder, a missed first rounder creates Browns cycles.

NHL it's held so tight to the chest, and yet we still see that drafting a guy who'll play in the NHL isn't even guaranteed for the first 20 picks of the draft.

It's funny, because Vegas completely went against the norm; and will likely be a cup favourite for the start of next season. There's rumours the Devils want to move that 10th for goalie help, and the suggestion of Markstrom + 28th is like a ridiculous overpay from Devils fans. You're telling me, that a team that should be entering a win-now window, who's drafted top 5-10 about a million times the past decade has no interest in moving a guy who's going to be 2-3-4 years away for a proven starting goalie that can give you 60+ starts a year, for two more years, at a reasonable cap hit, isn't worth moving down ~20 picks?
Devil's fan coming in peace. I think that a fair number of Devil's fans would agree that the valuation of the 10OA for Markstrom + 28th is pretty close. The thing is a lot of devs fans don't want to part with the 10th overall and would prefer to make a deal using different assets (like 1st in 2026).There seems to be a pretty big drop off at 15ish and as you mentioned we are just entering our win now window, having a player that can contribute in 2-3 years on an ELC could have an enormous impact for cap reasons. I don't see the 28th having much value for NJ at this point, and I think fans are hopeful we can fill the 1A goalie void without forfeiting the 10OA.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Devil's fan coming in peace. I think that a fair number of Devil's fans would agree that the valuation of the 10OA for Markstrom + 28th is pretty close. The thing is a lot of devs fans don't want to part with the 10th overall and would prefer to make a deal using different assets (like 1st in 2026).There seems to be a pretty big drop off at 15ish and as you mentioned we are just entering our win now window, having a player that can contribute in 2-3 years on an ELC could have an enormous impact for cap reasons. I don't see the 28th having much value for NJ at this point, and I think fans are hopeful we can fill the 1A goalie void without forfeiting the 10OA.
I'd rather have a pick now than a pick 2 years from now, especially since that pick will be likely closer to RND 2.
We'd make off better with Tor, Det etc

I think if you get Markstrom & the 10th is involved its likely another player on our end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad