2024 Draft

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
hey Calgary fans. What could be a trade good for both team for the 5th pick oa (MTL) vs the 9th?
Montreal clearly draft Tij Iginla if both of Lindstrom and Demidov are already claimed.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
hey Calgary fans. What could be a trade good for both team for the 5th pick oa (MTL) vs the 9th?
Montreal clearly draft Tij Iginla if both of Lindstrom and Demidov are already claimed.
I mean, take Iginla. It would be a very poor move to trade up. Very likely we get a similar, or better prospect at #9 that we would at #5 (especially if Iginla jumps up).

Assuming Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Silayev, and in this case Iginla are the first 6 picks, Flames will have one of Catton, Helenius, Buium, Dickinson fall into their lap. That difference is not worth anything to move up, IMO.

To answer your question, I don’t think there is any deal that would be “good” for Calgary to move up. The only way I consider it is if you know Buium will be gone by #9 (I think he’s that good).

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I mean, take Iginla. It would be a very poor move to trade up. Very likely we get a similar, or better prospect at #9 that we would at #5 (especially if Iginla jumps up).

Assuming Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Silayev, and in this case Iginla are the first 6 picks, Flames will have one of Catton, Helenius, Buium, Dickinson fall into their lap. That difference is not worth anything to move up, IMO.

To answer your question, I don’t think there is any deal that would be “good” for Calgary to move up. The only way I consider it is if you know Buium will be gone by #9 (I think he’s that good).
I think, Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Iginla, Buium, Dickinson and Silayev are going to be off the board.
So yeah, Catton, Helenius, Parekh, Eiserman, Sennecke are going to be availlable. I would pick Catton in that case, But I prefer Iginla to all these guys.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I think, Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Iginla, Buium, Dickinson and Silayev are going to be off the board.
So yeah, Catton, Helenius, Parekh, Eiserman, Sennecke are going to be availlable. I would pick Catton in that case, But I prefer Iginla to all these guys.

Iginla can be a preference, but he certainly hasn't separated himself from many of those kids, and if he has, it's nowhere close to the degree in which would justify Montreal's asking price to move down (likely Van 1st). In order to trade significant assets to move up you'd have to identify a talent available that is in a tier of their own. Iginla isn't that player in this draft... and I'd say Demidov is the only one worthy of having that conversation about.

Calgary has needs at every position. I actually think 9th is quite a comfy spot to be in this draft. Let the other teams make the "hard' decisions, and take the BPA. It really should be that simple. I hope Conroy and co. don't overthink things because of the name on the back of the jersey.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Iginla can be a preference, but he certainly hasn't separated himself from many of those kids, and if he has, it's nowhere close to the degree in which would justify Montreal's asking price to move down (likely Van 1st). In order to trade significant assets to move up you'd have to identify a talent available that is in a tier of their own. Iginla isn't that player in this draft... and I'd say Demidov is the only one worthy of having that conversation about.

Calgary has needs at every position. I actually think 9th is quite a comfy spot to be in this draft. Let the other teams make the "hard' decisions, and take the BPA. It really should be that simple. I hope Conroy and co. don't overthink things because of the name on the back of the jersey.
Agreed. I saw someone say that “there’s a 90% chance that the player picked at 3 will have a worse or similar career than the guy picked at 9”, and I think that’s a fairly accurate way to describe this draft. There’s nobody who has separated themselves all that much in that tier.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

This This This

Why does every Montreal fan want to try and extort us in taking Tij?
We'll get a very good prospect at 9 regardless of who goes before us.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
This This This

Why does every Montreal fan want to try and extort us in taking Tij?
We'll get a very good prospect at 9 regardless of who goes before us.
Because there is an history with the Flames and Tij father’s. Then, Montreal need a forward and we expect Demidov and Lindstrom been claimed in front of us. Theres is a lot rumours that Montreal
Managemement likes Tij Iginla and the match seem great. He has a sucessfull year in the WHL and he is one of the youngest player.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’d probably move Mangiapane to move up to 5. But that would be for Demidov or Lindstrom.

I’d much rather move up from Van’s pick to try and snag one of Jiricek or Connelly

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Because there is an history with the Flames and Tij father’s. Then, Montreal need a forward and we expect Demidov and Lindstrom been claimed in front of us. Theres is a lot rumours that Montreal
Managemement likes Tij Iginla and the match seem great. He has a sucessfull year in the WHL and he is one of the youngest player.
Why don’t you guys just get on board with taking Iginla, then? Genuine question if he’s such a great fit, I’d think you’d be ecstatic to take him?

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

You guys can take him if you want him or leave him if you don't. We're not paying you so that we can have him.

He'll never be what his dad was for this franchise/city and if he goes somewhere else we'll be fine.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
So we pick 25 in the first round now correct? Should be a faller. Would love to get Connelly or Jiricek, would be open to move up to get one of them.

Also like Luchanko, Mews or Artamonov in that spot

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
So we pick 25 in the first round now correct? Should be a faller. Would love to get Connelly or Jiricek, would be open to move up to get one of them.

Also like Luchanko, Mews or Artamonov in that spot
28th I believe now is what I have seen.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
None of the above are division winners. Vancouver is

This is correct.

The teams that did not qualify for the playoffs the previous season (picks 1–16)
The teams that made the playoffs in the previous season but did not win either their division in the regular season or play in the Conference Finals (picks 17–24 up to 28)
The teams that won their divisions in the previous season but did not play in the Conference Finals (potentially picks 25–28)
The teams that lose in Conference Finals (picks 29 and 30)
The team that was the runner-up in the Stanley Cup Finals (pick 31)
The team that won the Stanley Cup in the previous season (pick 32)

Reactions: User1996

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Agreed. I saw someone say that “there’s a 90% chance that the player picked at 3 will have a worse or similar career than the guy picked at 9”, and I think that’s a fairly accurate way to describe this draft. There’s nobody who has separated themselves all that much in that tier.

I'm hoping this draft is sorta like 2014. If your scout comment is valid, Draisaitl/Bennett @3 vs Ehlers/Nylander @9 based on original projections is not worth paying to move up. Hindsight a wee bit different of course and naturally certain players didn't worth out. Then at 25, I'm hoping for something nice of a hit, but nothing homerun like a Pastrnak.

I honestly do believe that most of the failed prospects prior to 2014 and after 2014 in the first round were more due to injuries and poor development. We've addressed the latter in a way that I'm very happy with, even if sometimes it takes a little longer than expected, so here's hoping the former doesn't affect either 2024 pick (ie: Valimaki).

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I wonder if Dickinson drops because there will be an early run on forwards. Him and Brustz could be a future top pair. I’m pretty confident Iginla is gone by 9, might go top 5 now. Catton and Helenius might be there though. Picks 4-8 are going to be a lot of fun to watch as our pick approaches.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I wonder if Dickinson drops because there will be an early run on forwards. Him and Brustz could be a future top pair. I’m pretty confident Iginla is gone by 9, might go top 5 now. Catton and Helenius might be there though. Picks 4-8 are going to be a lot of fun to watch as our pick approaches.
If there's a run on forwards, there'll be better options at D IMO.

Either of the Z's (Zeev or Zayne) and would prefer both because it'd be a ZZ Top defensive pairing.
(I'll show myself out)

• Haha
Reactions: User1996 and Janks

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If there's a run on forwards, there'll be better options at D IMO.

Either of the Z's (Zeev or Zayne) and would prefer both because it'd be a ZZ Top defensive pairing.
(I'll show myself out)

Your suggestion for this draft is for us to just Mo'Z around?

Eh, it could work for a rebuilding ish team.

"Please describe your team's roster."
"Zzzz"

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm hoping this draft is sorta like 2014. If your scout comment is valid, Draisaitl/Bennett @3 vs Ehlers/Nylander @9 based on original projections is not worth paying to move up. Hindsight a wee bit different of course and naturally certain players didn't worth out. Then at 25, I'm hoping for something nice of a hit, but nothing homerun like a Pastrnak.

I honestly do believe that most of the failed prospects prior to 2014 and after 2014 in the first round were more due to injuries and poor development. We've addressed the latter in a way that I'm very happy with, even if sometimes it takes a little longer than expected, so here's hoping the former doesn't affect either 2024 pick (ie: Valimaki).
I'm hopiong it's not like 2014, because while 1-3 and 8/9 worked out, that draft still had Bennett, Dal Colle, Virtanen, H. Fleury, and N. Ritchie go top 10, none of whom go top 10 in a redraft, most wouldn't even go 1st round.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I'll wait for Bobby Margarita's final ranking to believe Tij has moved into the top 5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad