Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Draft Thread

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
He played the right side at the U18's.
Because Sweden only brought 2 RHD to the Tournament(Annborn and Wernquist).
He's normally on the left side for Vaxjo(they have Wallenius, Isrealsson and Burwall on the right side)..
Gotcha, yeah he was on the right in any games I’ve watched.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
How is that going to work?
They play the same position(LHD).
Either Freij or Lindstein would need to play on his off-side(which is a dubious proposition; not everyone can effectively make that transition).
Plus you'd have 2 undersized D on the same pairing again(how's that working out with Faulk/Krug?).

No thanks on that plan. If you get Freij, the plan needs to be for him to be the "other" LHD in your top 4. And I'm not even close to convinced that Freij is good enough to be on a top pairing.
If the plan is to find Lindstein's future partner, you look at the 4 RHD; Badinka, Jiricek, Emery, Elick(in that order IMO).

Freij is 6'1, 196 lbs, that's not undersized at all but we'll get a more up to date measurement at the combine. I would say his current known measurements suggest he'll never be regarded as undersized. In fact it's likely he hits 6'2, 205ish lbs once he's done growing and that puts him right at league average for a D, maybe slightly lighter but right in that range.

Lindstein was 6'0, 185 lbs so an inch shorter and 11 lbs lighter than Freij and that would be a scenario where you could see him being considered an undersized defender though he still projects to be 195ish lbs and around 6'1.

Agree that they should be played on separate pairings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drubilly

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Freij is 6'1, 196 lbs, that's not undersized at all but we'll get a more up to date measurement at the combine. I would say his current known measurements suggest he'll never be regarded as undersized. In fact it's likely he hits 6'2, 205ish lbs once he's done growing and that puts him right at league average for a D, maybe slightly lighter but right in that range.

Lindstein was 6'0, 185 lbs so an inch shorter and 11 lbs lighter than Freij and that would be a scenario where you could see him being considered an undersized defender though he still projects to be 195ish lbs and around 6'1.

Agree that they should be played on separate pairings.
yeah, i am more concerned that playing with guy like freij will dampen lindstein's offense because he will play more conservatively because freij is so aggressive. they can play together final couple minutes if we are behind, but otherwise i'd like to see each drive their own line with guy like parayko and potentially kessell paired with them.

Reactions: TK 421 and Drubilly

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
Interesting recent development on Freij is that Tankathon updated it's player rankings yesterday and he moved up 3 spots in the aggregate rankings from 44th to 41st. That may just seem like 3 spots and no big deal but when you consider the context it becomes more interesting. One of the 12 to 15 services/people who provide rankings probably turned in their final list which saw Freij jump up so much that he moved up 3 spots on the aggregate list. If that trend continues with other services when they report their final lists he could rise enough to clear the 2nd round entirely and end up mid/late 1st. I theorize it was only one final list because I didn't see much other player movement and honestly these services tend to drag out releasing their lists to when the hype around the draft builds in the final couple weeks. It will be one of those things you have to keep an eye on as each service releases it final rankings.

It's the same with Solberg where he's an aggregate 55th right now but like Freij he's expected to see a big boost on the aggregate list when the final lists come in over the next few weeks.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
How is that going to work?
They play the same position(LHD).
Either Freij or Lindstein would need to play on his off-side(which is a dubious proposition; not everyone can effectively make that transition).
Plus you'd have 2 undersized D on the same pairing again(how's that working out with Faulk/Krug?).

No thanks on that plan. If you get Freij, the plan needs to be for him to be the "other" LHD in your top 4. And I'm not even close to convinced that Freij is good enough to be on a top pairing.
If the plan is to find Lindstein's future partner, you look at the 4 RHD; Badinka, Jiricek, Emery, Elick(in that order IMO).
The draft analyst is probably the most thorough coverage of Finish and Swedish hockey.

"Although Freij as a lefty and Sahlin-Wallenius as a left shot playing the right side would in theory form a formidable pairing, they rarely were iced together sans a late-game or power-play situation. This seemed to work to their advantage, however, as being on separate pairings allowed them to shine a spotlight on their array of offensive skills. After tying for third among Sodra Division defenseman in both goals (eight) and points (20) in 27 contests, Freij would average a point per game against the tougher Top-10 slate with 13 points in 13 games (six goals, seven assists). Add up the net filling and you’ve got a defenseman scoring 14 goals in his first season of draft eligibility."

He played the right side. It also spotlighted his ability to one time the puck.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
He had a tough season playing against men as one of the youngest draft eliglible players. His offensive skills he showed against his peers haven't suddenly dissapeared. There is risk with him because of the lost development time this year, but I think if you put him in the CHL and he gets back on track he has the upside to be a really good top 4 defenseman. His combination of puck handling ability, playmaking, size, and physical skills is unique among the group you listed.
I don't think Czechia matches SHL. After watching some Czech games, I would be interested to see how London would do against their best.
How would you rank the next 7 or 8 RD after Yak?
Right hand shot D
Emery, Elick Badinka, Jiricek, Brunicke, Gill, Marrelli, Roberts, Kleber, Danford, Mews, Soini

Emery or Elick wouldn't be a flashy pick, but you would have a guy playing 20 minutes a night in your top 2-4 for a LONG time.

Reactions: Drubilly

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
I’d like to add I guess I have higher expectations of Lindstein. As in I see him as an all situations defender and would be the defensive anchor on his pair. You do you though Theo. Don’t let me get in the way of your development. 😀

Reactions: Blueston

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I don't think Czechia matches SHL. After watching some Czech games, I would be interested to see how London would do against their best.

Right hand shot D
Emery, Elick Badinka, Jiricek, Brunicke, Gill, Marrelli, Roberts, Kleber, Danford, Mews, Soini

Emery or Elick wouldn't be a flashy pick, but you would have a guy playing 20 minutes a night in your top 2-4 for a LONG time.

I agree. I think Elick and Badinka are close, but I have the same order. I think most rankings sleep on Roberts, so that's an accurate one too.

I don't really want to trade down anymore at #16, but I really do want another late 1st or early 2nd. I think turning that Toronto 2nd into a high 2nd would be a boon for us. Potentially two big drafts back to back. I think the Jets might actually be a good partner. They pick around 37/38 IIRC, they're likely rebuilding, don't have a deep pipeline, and are missing their 1st. Think they'd do their 2nd for Toronto's 2nd and our 3rd? We get three premium talents and they get much needed prospect depth.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
I’d like to add I guess I have higher expectations of Lindstein. As in I see him as an all situations defender and would be the defensive anchor on his pair. You do you though Theo. Don’t let me get in the way of your development. 😀

You're not wrong to have those expectations, he's shown out big last year at the U18's and this year at the U20's on the biggest stage. More than a few had him as the U20's best D man in the tourney though ASP won it I believe. That's exactly who he projects to be though, all situations defensive anchor on his pair and he has the chops to eventually be the 1st pair LD. If people are looking at where he went in the draft and capping his potential based on that they're missing out on what's coming. This guy was considered a top 5 pick in his class at one point in the beginning of last season and some had him as the No2 LD behind Simashev on final lists(myself included). He was even thought to potentially be the best D in class at one point so he's shown plenty of times he's one of the best D in the '23 class going back to his D-1. The Blues nailed that pick to the wall and it's going to pay off for a long time.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Right hand shot D

While I would agree the czech league is a notch or two below the swedish league, it's probably better than you're giving them credit. A lot of players on their world championship team, especially their defense that played very well in this world championships, play in the czech league. However, like the swedish league it's really tough for teenagers to get much playing time.

I'm not a prospect expert like some of you are, but getting a solid top 4 would be a smart use of our pick. We need a sturdy, responsible d-man more than a flashy guy I'd say. Go with the safest pick, whoever that may be.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
While I would agree the czech league is a notch or two below the swedish league, it's probably better than you're giving them credit. A lot of players on their world championship team, especially their defense that played very well in this world championships, play in the czech league. However, like the swedish league it's really tough for teenagers to get much playing time.

I'm not a prospect expert like some of you are, but getting a solid top 4 would be a smart use of our pick. We need a sturdy, responsible d-man more than a flashy guy I'd say. Go with the safest pick, whoever that may be.
I can’t decide who would be your “safest” pick. Emery, Elick, and Badinka can all make a case for a solid top 4. I can’t say that with Jiricek or Solberg for that matter. The latter two probably have higher and lower ceilings. I don’t like Jiriceks panic button or skating with his head down. Playing with men that just won’t fly.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Wings look like they're taking Eiserman in the Team Board mock. We're up next. Who we taking boys?

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Wings look like they're taking Eiserman in the Team Board mock. We're up next. Who we taking boys?
Ideally trade down but if the draft fell this way, I would be good with Freij or Stolberg as the pick. Given the recent Sweden connect, wouldn't be surprised if we had Freij ranked higher.

Don't foresee the Blues drafting Connelly.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
This would sort of be the worst case scenario if it fell this way. But given the options, I’d go with Luchanko. Has so much Suzuki/RT in him.

Would also consider Hage, Solberg, Freij, Badinka, Surin and Jiricek.

Reactions: LGB

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Ideally trade down but if the draft fell this way, I would be good with Freij or Stolberg as the pick. Given the recent Sweden connect, wouldn't be surprised if we had Freij ranked higher.

Don't foresee the Blues drafting Connelly.
Agree. I’d trade down and f given the option, then take Freij later and hopefully one other guy the team really likes.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think it’s Hage or Luchenko. There are other viable options, but I’m fairly confident bpa is a forward here and we should take guy we like best. In real life, the question is how many guys do we still have left on this tier. Because that will drive whether we want to trade down.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Luchenko is probably the forward I'd lean towards, checks a lot of boxes that we either value highly or that we should. High compete, hockey sense, and skating ability.

The x-factor for me is if we value a Solberg as high as someone like Pronman. Pronman's comp is Kaiden Guhle and has him 12th.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Luchenko is probably the forward I'd lean towards, checks a lot of boxes that we either value highly or that we should. High compete, hockey sense, and skating ability.

The x-factor for me is if we value a Solberg as high as someone like Pronman. Pronman's comp is Kaiden Guhle and has him 12th.
Pronman has really good connections at this point, but he doesn't understand what he is watching at any level high enough to be useful. His player writeups and comps are generally awful. It hurts me to read some of them.

Anyway, I think the risk with guy like Stolberg is too high at this pick. I want guy who I confident will be good top 4 d or top 6 f. I have concerns that Solberg is just 3rd pairing guy. I THINK he might be more, but this is still too high for me.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Pronman has really good connections at this point, but he doesn't understand what he is watching at any level high enough to be useful. His player writeups and comps are generally awful. It hurts me to read some of them.

Anyway, I think the risk with guy like Stolberg is too high at this pick. I want guy who I confident will be good top 4 d or top 6 f. I have concerns that Solberg is just 3rd pairing guy. I THINK he might be more, but this is still too high for me.
Yeah, I'm not confident enough to know which of the defensemen in the Stolberg tier will be the true riser and be a solid top 4 guy that can play 20+ minutes. It's important that we not just draft a NHL player, but someone that can make a pretty decent impact on the team. It's a tougher spot at 16 for that, and one reason I think we'll lean forward and then try and grab 2 defensemen in the 2nd.

Reactions: Blueston

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
6'1, 196 pound LD/RD Alfons Freij from the Vaxjo Lakers system bound for Bjorkloven in Allsvenskan for the '24-'25 season. He's one of the best transitional D in this entire class and has some of the best tools to work with of any player in the draft. I think that 2-3 years from now this player will emerge as one of the best in this class.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
6'1, 196 pound LD/RD Alfons Freij from the Vaxjo Lakers system bound for Bjorkloven in Allsvenskan for the '24-'25 season. He's one of the best transitional D in this entire class and has some of the best tools to work with of any player in the draft. I think that 2-3 years from now this player will emerge as one of the best in this class.
I don’t understand why he isn’t consensus 1st rounder. What am I (we) missing?

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Here's another write-up on him, source unnamed
Freij has been a top defenseman in his age group in Sweden for several years. He was a highly productive player in their J20 league and a top player for Sweden's U18 team. His talent level is obvious. Freij is a decent sized defenseman with NHL skill and mobility. He can make a lot of people miss in open ice. He can create offense with pace and he has the hands to create chances out of nothing. Freij is a very good shooter with a pro one-timer from the point. His sense concerns me though. He plays with his head down and doesn't make many plays. He defends fine, but his D-zone play isn't as strong as his offensive work. I'm not sold on his NHL potential but the tools are good enough to give him a real chance to make it.

Reactions: TK 421

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad