Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Just saw Solberg in top 15 again with Helenius falling to us in Horns mock. I don’t see it but I sure wouldn’t turn it down.
Some team will reach on a pick or 2 ahead of us, I'm not too worried about it. I just hope it's not someone like Eiserman that falls. Don't like his boom/bust potential, like an Oliver Wahlstrom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
Reactions: stl76

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Pronman and Wheeler had another mock where we got Helenius.
His stock seems to be dropping, at least with the public scouts, but not sure I buy it. People are actually concerned his 7 pts in 5 U18 games was bad? Finland was a pretty bad team. He didn’t have a lot of help and he’s a distributor. He needed more than Emil Hemming as a PP hammer. And then he didn’t look great in the WCs. So what? He was literally the youngest player there. The only one born in 2006. It was an accomplishment just to make Finland’s team. Not remotely surprising he wasn’t quite up to the task yet.

But he has very high hockey sense and plays the C position well. I’d absolutely take him if he was still on the board at 16.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
His stock seems to be dropping, at least with the public scouts, but not sure I buy it. People are actually concerned his 7 pts in 5 U18 games was bad? Finland was a pretty bad team. He didn’t have a lot of help and he’s a distributor. He needed more than Emil Hemming as a PP hammer. And then he didn’t look great in the WCs. So what? He was literally the youngest player there. The only one born in 2006. It was an accomplishment just to make Finland’s team. Not remotely surprising he wasn’t quite up to the task yet.

But he has very high hockey sense and plays the C position well. I’d absolutely take him if he was still on the board at 16.
Thomas, Dvorsky, and him would be a great group of centers.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
If Helenius falls, I would take him over the 2nd tier D and any other forward available. I have him 10th overall. I don't see him sliding to us. Stranger things have happened, but this just seems like writers falling in love with some late risers or wanting to change their mocks up for clicks. Helenius is a safe top 14 pick easy IMO.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I agree, at the same time Dvorsky felt like a safe top 8 pick last year. Barzal and Fowler were notable fallers in their draft that shouldn't have. I don't think someone like that will fall to 16, but I do think someone safely projected ahead of us will fall to us. I just hope it's not Eiserman.

Reactions: Fez Whatley

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And that's not to knock Eiserman, his shot is amazing and will get him drafted. I could see him being a 40 goal scorer or a complete bust like Wahlstrom. I don't like those guys with a high or mid 1st, but later in the 1st, it's worth it.

If we go with a risky pick, I'd prefer it to bet on the upside of a Solberg or Jiricek.

Reactions: Blueswin

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I agree, at the same time Dvorsky felt like a safe top 8 pick last year. Barzal and Fowler were notable fallers in their draft that shouldn't have. I don't think someone like that will fall to 16, but I do think someone safely projected ahead of us will fall to us. I just hope it's not Eiserman.
I feel like Dvorsky was mocked anywhere between 6-11 last year pretty consistently. Eiserman is more likely to fall, and I agree I don't have that much interest in him.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
And that's not to knock Eiserman, his shot is amazing and will get him drafted. I could see him being a 40 goal scorer or a complete bust like Wahlstrom. I don't like those guys with a high or mid 1st, but later in the 1st, it's worth it.

If we go with a risky pick, I'd prefer it to bet on the upside of a Solberg or Jiricek.
I think you have a very tradable pick if it is Eiserman. Someone will inquire.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If Helenius falls, I would take him over the 2nd tier D and any other forward available. I have him 10th overall. I don't see him sliding to us. Stranger things have happened, but this just seems like writers falling in love with some late risers or wanting to change their mocks up for clicks. Helenius is a safe top 14 pick easy IMO.
i think so. but i didn't think dvo would make it to 10. but bill armstrong's fetish for tall russians and steve yzerman's constant pursuit of perpetual mediocrity unleashed a series of events where we landed a guy i was shocked fell to us. but you just don't know. so i can absolutely envision a scenario where we get helenius at 16, but i don't think that scenario is particularly likely .

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
i think so. but i didn't think dvo would make it to 10. but bill armstrong's fetish for tall russians and steve yzerman's constant pursuit of perpetual mediocrity unleashed a series of events where we landed a guy i was shocked fell to us. but you just don't know. so i can absolutely envision a scenario where we get helenius at 16, but i don't think that scenario is particularly likely .
IF he drops out of the top 10, I'd be worried about Philly taking him more than anyone else.
They desperately need some center prospects.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm gettig more on board with the worst case scenario set of picks, guys like Hage, Stolberg, Luchanko, Jiricek, etc., or someone else that the Blues prefer over them, or a possible best case scenario where someone falls or we trade up.

Last edited:

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I'm gettig more on board with the worst case scenario set of picks, guys like Hage, Stolberg, Luchanko, Jiricek, etc., or someone else that the Blues prefer over them, or a possible best case scenario where someone falls or we trade up.
If you just look at the names that were hot for this draft early this year versus now, then you see a crap shoot. Some guys are just basically gone from ratings. So…really a chore to figure a kid out 3-4 years from now.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
McKenzie’s and Button’s rankings are in the draftprospects simulator. I got MBN twice with McKenzie in my 2 runs. Got Silayev with my Button draft. Would be happy with either, but would definitely prefer the more unrealistic Button’s.

Edit: 4th run of McKenzie on medium randomness, low team needs - my first 4 picks are Catton, Luchanko, Boilard, Eriksson - all centers. Would be odd, but those would all be great picks.

Ok, last time - 5th time on McKenzie, the first 4 Blues picks are Catton, Surin, Emery, Solberg. I think we win the draft if that happens.

Last edited:

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
McKenzie’s and Button’s rankings are in the draftprospects simulator. I got MBN twice with McKenzie in my 2 runs. Got Silayev with my Button draft. Would be happy with either, but would definitely prefer the more unrealistic Button’s.

Edit: 4th run of McKenzie on medium randomness, low team needs - my first 4 picks are Catton, Luchanko, Boilard, Eriksson - all centers. Would be odd, but those would all be great picks.

Ok, last time - 5th time on McKenzie, the first 4 Blues picks are Catton, Surin, Emery, Solberg. I think we win the draft if that happens.
I got Yak, Emery, Solberg, and Pulkkainen 1st 4 picks....I think I fixed the blue line....

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I wonder if Swedish center Linus Eriksson will still be around at 56th, if so I'd love to add him to our center group.

I really like Freij but I'd be thrilled with any D taken at 16. If it's Jiricek or Solberg or Emery I'm going to be happy Theo Lindstein gets at least one other top 4 potential guy and I'm hoping they double dip on D and get two guys with top 4 potential at 16th and 48th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad