Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Draft Thread

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Hmm, could we move up and draft Helenius.

He’s heckuva player. I don’t know that we should be moving up for a forward, but he’d be great add.

Reactions: HighNote and sfvega

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Hmm, could we move up and draft Helenius.

I like Helenius, however, I wouldn't move up for him. If we did decide to move up for a player there are better options for us 'around where Helenius will get drafted'.

Instead of moving up I'd rather try to add another 1st in that top-15 range by moving a retained and/or extended Buchnevich if we can't work out an extension with him with us. I especially feel like the teams with picks 10/11 and 15 (NJ/BUF/DET) could be willing to move their pick for the right return. It all depends on what teams are on Buch' NTC-list though.

If we manage to get another 1st, I still don't think I'd target Helenius though, unless he's the clear BPA available.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Presumably it starts with our 2nd. So issue is we have given up top 2 picks and haven’t found a d, which I’d think is our top draft priority.
True. I havent looked up, but IS there potential d to draft? Not likely any Pietro'ish type of franchise player?

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
True. I havent looked up, but IS there potential d to draft? Not likely any Pietro'ish type of franchise player?

Levshunov, Dickinson, Silayev, Buium will probably all go top-10. Parekh might aswell. I can see Yakemchuk in the 11-16 region. Freij in the 15-20 region.

Reactions: Ranksu

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Yakemchuk, Nygard, and Sennecke are all available at 16. Who do you pick? (Very unlikely scenario, I know - just a hypothetical for fun)

Last edited:

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
This is where I'm at ever changing....

Celebrini, Macklin
1​
Demidov, Ivan
2​
Levshunov, Artyom
3​
Dickinson, Sam
4​
Lindstrom, Caden
5​
Buium, Zeev
6​
Silayev, Anton
7​
iginla, Tij
8​
Parekh, Zayne
9​
Catton, Berkly
10​
Eiserman, Cole
11​
Helenius, Konsta
12​
Sennecke, Beckett
13​
Freij, Alfons
14​
Yakemchuk, Carter
15​
Emery, EJ
16​
Brandsegg-Nygard, Michael
17​
Hage, Michael
18​
Elick, Charlie
19​
Badinka, Dominik
20​
Hemming, Emil
21​
Pulkkinen, Jesse
22​
Surin, Yegor
23​
Pettersson, Lucas
24​
Luchanko, Jett
25​
Artamonov, Nikita
26​
Greentree, Liam
27​
Connelly, Trevor
28​
Beaudoin, Cole
29​
Jiricek, Adam
30​
Ericksson, Linus
31​
Chernyshov, Igor
32​
Misa, Luke
32​
Brunicke, Harrison
33​
Letourneau, Dean
34​
Marques, Miguel
35​
Shuravin, Matvei
36​
Fischer, Lukas
37​
Roberts, colton
38​
Gill, Spencer
39​
Stiga, Teddy
40​
Boisvert, Sasha
41​
Ritchie, Ryder
42​
Vanacker, Marek
43​
Basha, Andrew
44​
Parascak, Terik
45​
Zether, Simon
46​
O'Reilly, Sam
47​
Marrelli, Luca
49​
Smith, Tarin
50​
Skahan, Will
51​
Kleber, Adam
52​
Danford, Ben
53​
Sahlin Wallenius, Leo
54​
Fransen, Noel
55​
Traff, Herman
56​
Romani, Anthony
57​
Solberg, Stian
58​
Ralph, Colin
59​
Mews, Henry
60​
Battaglia, Jacob
61​
Ziemer, Brodie
62​
Fernstrom, Melvin
63​
Mustard, John
64​
Kol, Timur
65​
Berglund, Jack
66​
Wetsch, Carson
67​
Miettinen, Julius
68​
Korotky, Matvei
69​
Pikkarainen, Kasper
70​
Vuollet, Oskar
71​
Howe, Tanner
72​
Sterner, Karl
73​
josephson, Ollie
74​
Boilard, Raoul
75​
Pridham, Jack
76​
Caswell, Clarke
77​
Soini, Sebastian
78​
He, Kevin
79​
Villeneuve, Nathan
80​
Ustinkov, Daniil
81​
Taimazov, Arsen
82​
Saarelainen, Joona
83​
Masse, Maxim
84​
Burrows, Hagen
85​
Svensson, Joel
86​
Humphreys, Christian
87​
Fisher, Jake
88​
Sjoqvist, Gustav
89​
Bednarik, Kamil
90​
Ruohonen, Heikki
91​
Shokhrin, Roman
92​
Ashton, Luke
93​
Patterson, Riley
94​
Koivu, Aatos
95​
Kos, Ondrej
96​
Gridin, Matvei
97​
Sjodin, Svante
98​
Vaisenan, Veeti
99​
Muggli, Leon
100​

FANTASTIC list. I don't really see anything wrong, just using it as a template for my own thoughts.

-Iginla has to be in that conversation for 7th. For a guy that everyone loved in the teens, he just keeps rising. Buium too. Iginla's rise reminds me a bit of Mason McTavish where we might be surprised where he ends up landing.

-I have Helenius at 10. Just seems much safer than some ahead of him. Eiserman is such a weird one to project right now.

-I agree about the next wave of D-men, where you have Freij, Emery, Elick, Badinka. Pulkkinen that high is aggressive. Not sure how I feel about it. Could be accurate, especially since it's a big board and not a mock.

-FINALLY someone who ranks Connolly, Greentree, and Jiricek where I feel they're at. I would not be happy staying put and taking any of them tbh. Jiricek firs a need, but so much risk for a lottery pick.

-I talked about offensive D falling earlier in Hutson and Mews, but I forgot to mention Kiviharju which I thinks sums up his whole year. Largely not memorable. I wouldn't consider him until the Leafs pick or our 3rd. LSW also let me down the further into the season we went. I had him as a 28-35 range, but probably goes about 15 or more picks lower.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Presumably it starts with our 2nd. So issue is we have given up top 2 picks and haven’t found a d, which I’d think is our top draft priority.
This is probably the correct answer. But I don’t like it. :p:

I really like Helenius. More than most. I’d take him as high as 4th. He’s not a highlight reel machine like some of the other guys and he’s only 5’11” but what he lacks in flash he more than makes up for in playmaking and distribution. Just a smart, smart player that plays a winning brand of hockey. I’d be surprised if his floor ended up being lower than a 2C. He’s safe but a good kind of safe IMO.

That said, I reluctantly agree we probably shouldn’t be trading up for a forward. But I do think Helenius is going to fall to around 10th so I’d be tempted to try to move up for him.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
This is probably the correct answer. But I don’t like it. :p:

I really like Helenius. More than most. I’d take him as high as 4th. He’s not a highlight reel machine like some of the other guys and he’s only 5’11” but what he lacks in flash he more than makes up for in playmaking and distribution. Just a smart, smart player that plays a winning brand of hockey. I’d be surprised if his floor ended up being lower than a 2C. He’s safe but a good kind of safe IMO.

That said, I reluctantly agree we probably shouldn’t be trading up for a forward. But I do think Helenius is going to fall to around 10th so I’d be tempted to try to move up for him.
i like the player too. i'd be good paying the 2nd to move up, however, but only if we had another path to late 1st/early 2nd to target a d (or are able to pick up top d prospect elsewhere). d can take rather long time to develop and i don't like leaving this draft without another top d prospect (to go with lindstein) as that remains our biggest organizational need.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm also fine trading up for a forward high on our list. Say our #8 player is available at 12, pay the 2nd, get the player.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Yakemchuk, Nygard, and Sennecke are all available at 16. Who do you pick? (Very unlikely scenario, I know - just a hypothetical for fun)
Yakemchuk but Sennecke is close. MBN isn’t too far behind either.

Yak is such a wildcard. His potential is very high. There’s absolutely a possibility he ends up the best of the bunch. And he’s mean too. But he’s so raw and hit or miss.

It’s a little concerning he’s still one of the more raw prospects in this class while also being among the oldest. But his skills are obvious, his shot is very good and he’s a 6’3” righty. There’s so much to like…but he also brings more risk than the others in his range.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Yakemchuk but Sennecke is close. MBN isn’t too far behind either.

Yak is such a wildcard. His potential is very high. There’s absolutely a possibility he ends up the best of the bunch. And he’s mean too. But he’s so raw and hit or miss.

It’s a little concerning he’s still one of the more raw prospects in this class while also being among the oldest. But his skills are obvious, his shot is very good and he’s a 6’3” righty. There’s so much to like…but he also brings more risk than the others in his range.
I think he would have high trade value as well. Thats why I would be willing to pick him. His value to acquire another asset.

I must add that I would love having Sennecke in the Blues fold. Excellent talent. Hard playoff type player.

Last edited:

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
FANTASTIC list. I don't really see anything wrong, just using it as a template for my own thoughts.

-Iginla has to be in that conversation for 7th. For a guy that everyone loved in the teens, he just keeps rising. Buium too. Iginla's rise reminds me a bit of Mason McTavish where we might be surprised where he ends up landing.

-I have Helenius at 10. Just seems much safer than some ahead of him. Eiserman is such a weird one to project right now.

-I agree about the next wave of D-men, where you have Freij, Emery, Elick, Badinka. Pulkkinen that high is aggressive. Not sure how I feel about it. Could be accurate, especially since it's a big board and not a mock.

-FINALLY someone who ranks Connolly, Greentree, and Jiricek where I feel they're at. I would not be happy staying put and taking any of them tbh. Jiricek firs a need, but so much risk for a lottery pick.

-I talked about offensive D falling earlier in Hutson and Mews, but I forgot to mention Kiviharju which I thinks sums up his whole year. Largely not memorable. I wouldn't consider him until the Leafs pick or our 3rd. LSW also let me down the further into the season we went. I had him as a 28-35 range, but probably goes about 15 or more picks lower.
Thank you. Two reasons I’d like to stay away from two of the people mentioned on here.
Kiviharju has been scouted to have the yips as he doesn’t like to get hit. He will rush getting rid of the puck to avoid it. That started to be noticed in the Finn league before he got hurt. At 5’9”, he doesn’t get a lot of grace or margin for error for a major flaw.
Jiricek skates with his head down when he has the puck which also is something I would want to see progressing before I drop a 16th pick on him. He hasn’t played to do that.
Hutson I don’t have on my list as I can’t get past the Perunovich college hockey that doesn’t translate here. I can’t pick that in the first 3 rounds.

My list is more of from my perspective of whom the Blues should draft rather than just a list. I look for speed, size and ability. Still working thru some of the Europeans as to who the better skaters are I’m missing. I just see the playoffs as speed size grit and skill.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drubilly

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Judging by @PerryTurnbullfan 's list, I'd love to trade Buchnevich to Detroit for their #15 overall pick (the key being extension) with possibly an added pick in a later draft. Then I'd take Freij and Hage with consecutive picks. I'd also draft Mews (he's falling, but he's far too talented to pass up at our second-round pick), Mustard with the Leafs' second round pick, and draft Koivu and Lavoie with our pick and the Rangers' pick, respectively.

Freij honestly appeals to me more than Yakemchuk, Jiricek, Emery, or Elick. I see a defensive wall, but insanely skilled with the puck. Imagine a left side of Freij, Lindstein, and Buchinger. Hot damn.

I'm just a huge fan of Hage. I think he could be a Brayden Point type, a speedy center with scoring ability.

I'm admitting that I'm still a huge fan of Mews. He may not be the biggest or best defender, but we have to remember that he's recently transitioned to defense. In the second round? Easily.

John Mustard is someone I've loved throughout the process, and I honestly think he should be higher on your list than #64. Big, still seventeen, skilled, sandpaper, what's not to love?

Aatos Koivu is an insanely good distributor, and yet is one of the most defensively responsible centers in this class. I'm fixing the center depth, just in case Dvorsky doesn't work out, and since we can't completely count on Dean and Alexandrov (praying Dean makes it as a middle-six option, but I'm not counting on him completely). I honestly think a top-six center is our biggest weakness next to an elite defenseman, possibly more so, given the talent of the left-handed defensemen we've drafted (Lindstein and Buchinger, sure, but there's also Loof, Gaudet, Burns, Fischer, and Koromyslov - if he ever comes over).

Tomas Lavoie (didn't see him on your list, Perry, but honestly, since Connelly is on my "Do Not Draft" (and I pray that the Blues see it my way, I'll put him at the #100 mark and take Connelly off) should be a slam-dunk as a third round pick. Huge right-handed defenseman with offensive upside - and we desperately need right-handed defensemen in our system.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Judging by @PerryTurnbullfan 's list, I'd love to trade Buchnevich to Detroit for their #15 overall pick (the key being extension) with possibly an added pick in a later draft. Then I'd take Freij and Hage with consecutive picks. I'd also draft Mews (he's falling, but he's far too talented to pass up at our second-round pick), Mustard with the Leafs' second round pick, and draft Koivu and Lavoie with our pick and the Rangers' pick, respectively.

Freij honestly appeals to me more than Yakemchuk, Jiricek, Emery, or Elick. I see a defensive wall, but insanely skilled with the puck. Imagine a left side of Freij, Lindstein, and Buchinger. Hot damn.

I'm just a huge fan of Hage. I think he could be a Brayden Point type, a speedy center with scoring ability.

I'm admitting that I'm still a huge fan of Mews. He may not be the biggest or best defender, but we have to remember that he's recently transitioned to defense. In the second round? Easily.

John Mustard is someone I've loved throughout the process, and I honestly think he should be higher on your list than #64. Big, still seventeen, skilled, sandpaper, what's not to love?

Aatos Koivu is an insanely good distributor, and yet is one of the most defensively responsible centers in this class. I'm fixing the center depth, just in case Dvorsky doesn't work out, and since we can't completely count on Dean and Alexandrov (praying Dean makes it as a middle-six option, but I'm not counting on him completely). I honestly think a top-six center is our biggest weakness next to an elite defenseman, possibly more so, given the talent of the left-handed defensemen we've drafted (Lindstein and Buchinger, sure, but there's also Loof, Gaudet, Burns, Fischer, and Koromyslov - if he ever comes over).

Tomas Lavoie (didn't see him on your list, Perry, but honestly, since Connelly is on my "Do Not Draft" (and I pray that the Blues see it my way, I'll put him at the #100 mark and take Connelly off) should be a slam-dunk as a third round pick. Huge right-handed defenseman with offensive upside - and we desperately need right-handed defensemen in our system.

Hage is my choice also at 16

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box

Freij plays the right side. I do like Lavoie, but I think he will struggle with the pace. He would be a later pick for me.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Yak, but Sennecke is close.
just out of these three? Yakemchuk > Sennecke >>> Nygard.

I think both Yakemchuk and Sennecke could go around the same pick. However I'd put Yakemchuk ahead due to position (RD>RW).

That's how I see it too. Nygard does a lot of small things really well, but a few things are an issue with me. One, I feel like we take too many Blues-y type players. We love overachievers, guys who work hard, have pro size, are coachable, etc. But are we risking going with too many of one type of player? Especially at wing. Bolduc's best asset is his shot. Neighbour's best asset is his shot. Snuggy's best asset is his shot. Nygard's best asset is his physicality and shortly thereafter is his shot. We have a lot of guys who drive possession, but don't drive the play. I feel like Nygard is adding to the pile. Two, his skating. I still think we need to balance out our skating. Three, his ceiling. I do feel like there's a good chance he maxes out as a guy who only fills in on the 2nd line and is more of a 3rd liner.

Sennecke I see the upside for, which makes it closer to call between him and a defenseman. Nygard I'm not sure is the most talented player who will be on the board. He may be the Blues-iest player, but I do think he's a bit repetitive.

I do like Mustard a lot as well. I have him higher, and I'd much rather get a better skating power forward than spend a premium on Nygard.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Imagine a left side of Freij, Lindstein, and Buchinger. Hot damn.

Honestly; that doesn't appeal to me at all. It looks disturbingly similar to Leddy/Krug/Perunovich.
As a group; they're under-sized, I'm not sure any of them are elite and they all play the same essential style of game(to varying degrees of effectiveness). There's no diversity of skills and I think they'd get caved in by an even moderately aggressive PF.

Size and physicality are still essential skills in a defenseman. We should know that given what we've had to watch the last couple years.

IF we end up drafting Freij, I'd immediately start looking to move Buchinger for a guy with some size/snarl. Even if they're just a 3rd pairing guy, you need somebody on the left side who can absorb some punishment.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Honestly; that doesn't appeal to me at all. It looks disturbingly similar to Leddy/Krug/Perunovich.
As a group; they're under-sized, I'm not sure any of them are elite and they all play the same essential style of game(to varying degrees of effectiveness). There's no diversity of skills and I think they'd get caved in by an even moderately aggressive PF.

Size and physicality are still essential skills in a defenseman. We should know that given what we've had to watch the last couple years.

IF we end up drafting Freij, I'd immediately start looking to move Buchinger for a guy with some size/snarl. Even if they're just a 3rd pairing guy, you need somebody on the left side who can absorb some punishment.
Burns, loof, and mayich are all what you are describing. One of them is more likely to he 3ld than buchinger.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad