2024 Draft Thread - Friday June 28 and Saturday June 29 - Sphere Las Vegas

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
"Danford doesn't maybe have the statistical profile you'd look for out of a second- or third-rounder (though it did continue to improve as he has tried to do more as this season progressed and into a nice playoff run with Oshawa) and some scouts have been hesitant about his offensive game, but he has the respect of a lot of people around the OHL and the Generals gave him a letter for his draft year (and I know they considered naming him captain and likely will at some point).

Danford gets high marks as a person and as a player who takes care of his own end first but is developing his offensive instincts and starting to take more chances off of the line and involve himself in more plays around the offensive zone. He also shows good poise under pressure to hold pucks with players on his back and find ways to spin off and head-man. His skating is average or maybe slightly above. I wouldn't call it a strength but it's decent and he did well in testing at the CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game (where he also showed those developing offensive instincts and played well at both ends in the actual game) and the combine. More importantly, the details are already there (stick placement, gap control, reads, positioning, etc.). I've also seen him show more comfort under pressure to beat the first layer and make better choices atop the blue line to work off of his teammates and use space to his advantage He’s got a strong foundation and has made important progress in key areas. There are many who believe he’s going to make a solid third-pairing NHL defenseman someday."

Reactions: Rocker13

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Brutal in every sense. Emery was the guy I wanted the Leafs to pick. They traded with the Ducks and the Rags take him 1 spot before. Elick was another guy I wouldn't mind but they draft a second rounder? Brutal

Danford is a better defender than Elick imo. Elick can’t handle a puck, we need guys who can defend and make a first pass.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Lol it's hilarious because everything I'm reading on this guy sounds like the exact kind of defenseman 90% of you yearn for. Big & physical, but unlike the Schneiders of the world apparently his brain + puck skills are +

Solberg was the kind of D 90% of the board yearns for and the trade back value we got was the same price we paid for 3 months of Edmundson or Lyubushkin. Maybe Wes hit another home run and he ends up better than Stian, not gonna complain about the player.

Reactions: LeafEgo and Kurtz

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
I will never again complain about a Wes surprise pick. I like his profile. RHD is huge. Seems like a smart d-man which is super valuable,

you have the smarts and the skills, you're basically a good chance to be good.

High IQ players are those where we go "why was this guy selected in the third round and is the best in the draft" and the Leafs/We Clark seem to highly value that and I *love* that.

It's not how you perform statistically today, it's how you evolve tomorrow.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Solberg was the kind of D 90% of the board yearns for and the trade back value we got was the same price we paid for 3 months of Edmundson or Lyubushkin. Maybe Wes hit another home run and he ends up better than Stian, not gonna complain about the player.
sounds like they were gonna take Ben there regardless so let's see who they get a 58

who would be some good potential options for tomorrow?

Reactions: KMNRB

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
And to think I was worried about Tre trading the 1st round pick last week. Silly me
Actually, it looks like he traded our Leafs 1st round pick for players that should be picked late in the 2nd round.

Minten and Cowan better turn out to be special players !!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad