Confirmed with Link: Guentzel's rights traded to Tampa for 25 3rd

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
When he signs for $9M and you offer $6.5M, you lowballed him.

We can argue all day whether he was worth the $9M or not (he wasn't), but he was certainly worth quite a bit more than what we offered, IDK how you can argue otherwise.

We'll see when he's getting bought out in a couple years.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
We'll see when he's getting bought out in a couple years.
Has anyone done the math where Skinner's real AAV ended up being?

5*$10M + 2/3*$22M divided by 5 years is $12.933 per?

BadgerCane58

Jul 10, 2023
We wouldn’t even be having this conversation if the damn Arizona Coyotes didn’t go belly up this year. No Utah, no deep pockets, nobody cares about Sergachev, Tampa is too close to the cap ceiling…… why this year??? You’d think the coyotes could have waited one year for the Canes!!!!! RIGHT??? lol

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
motherf***er literally signed for his ask over 7 rather than 8.

Theres a twit where it says 9.25x7.

f*** him.
Is that true when you take into account taxes? After escrow and agent fees, I suspect it’s a few million more in TB over the 7 year term, plus if he’s healthy enough, another contract in the 8th year.

Edit: If I'm doing this right (and I may not be as it's my first time with this calculator and the delta seems too high to me), looking at the income tax calculator on CapFriendly with the basic settings (5% escrow, 15% agent fee, no signing bonus):

9.25M in TB equates to $5.64M after taxes, escrow, agent fees
8.0M in Carolina equates to $4.44 after taxes, escrow, agent fees

So after 7 years, his after tax earnings in TB would be $39.5M
So after 8 years, his after tax earnings in CAR would be $35.5M

Not to mention in TB, he can still possibly get another contract in year 8.

EDIT 2: playing with the calculator more, it looks like in order for his after tax earnings to be the same over 8 years in CAR as they are at $9.25M over 7 years in TB, the Canes would have had to pay him $8.9M / year.

$9.25M x7 in TB = $5.64M after taxes, escrow, agent fees = $39.5M over 7 years
$8.9M x8 in CAR = $4.937M after taxes, escrow, agent fees = $39.5M over 8 years

Last edited:

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Rejection stings regardless of the reason. Our fanbase tends to fully embrace and love on our players so it's tough and a letdown. Landing this one, in particular, appeared to be a big source of pride.

It makes one wince that this type of thanks but no thanks has happened 3 years in a row to the Canes at roster building time. I guess we will have to wait until the ink is dry now.

Coupled with the underwhelming playoffs, management departures and the forthcoming roster attrition, it's a rough patch. For the upcoming season, I hope the marketing team creates something more back to our roots, i.e. fun and upbeat to promote and sell the new guys and the season. Didn't care for this past's season's dark, tough tone or menacing messaging - it's not who we are on or off the ice.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Well this went to s***. What an expensive rental, Canes lost a lot of assets that would have been more than nice to have when making some actual deal..
With how good last years team was and all the turnover that was bound to happen, fans would have been angry had we not gone for it at the deadline.

I’m not one bit upset. We gave it a shot and it didn’t work out but at least they tried. Not re-signing him doesn’t suddenly make the move a mistake.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Florida holds firm with Reinhart and keeps him under 9. If we hold firm we get blasted for being cheap. Gotta love the narratives
A big part of recruiting is making the person feel wanted versus leaving someone with a car dealer experience.

That is where I believe the Canes, cough Dundon, are falling short.

btw: Florida is a no income tax state but this home/car insurance is bonkers. For the type of house he will buy, It will easily cost him $30K+ to insure.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

A big part of recruiting is making the person feel wanted versus leaving someone with a car dealer experience.

That is where I believe the Canes, cough Dundon, are falling short.
I heard that this is what happened early on with Trocheck as well and led to the he didn't want to play here story because they insulted him with the early lowball offer.

I often worry re: what happens to the player's mindset and team chemistry. Some go for it to get the best money possible elsewhere when the time comes but some look off and less than motivated. Could all the contract worries and woes have affected the Canes this past season?

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Lol, no full signing bonus for the potential lockout year 3.

It looks like it's frontloaded to the max.Full optimization.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

I heard that this is what happened early on with Trocheck as well and led to the he didn't want to play here story because they insulted him with the early lowball offer.

I often worry re: what happens to the player's mindset and team chemistry. Some go for it to get the best money possible elsewhere when the time comes but some look off and less than motivated. Could all the contract worries and woes have affected the Canes this past season?

"Could all the contract worries and woes have affected the Canes this past season?"

Might be right....it surely didn't help.

btw: having worked for private equity owned companies in my career I found the "owners" to be very challenging personality wise to work with but......if you performed they always paid well over market (ie, Vinek approach....PE background but good to work for).

Unfortunately, Dundon has created a bad dynamic.....a private equity owned personality but a frugal pay approach.

Edit: brilliant move by his agent/financial planner to front load contract $$$....US has too much debt and will need to raise tax rates. With the tax law sunset in 2026, tax rates are targeted to go up substantially for top earners:

1719840703409.png

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
btw: Florida is a no income tax state but this home/car insurance is bonkers. For the type of house he will buy, It will easily cost him $30K+ to insure.
That $30K is a pittance vs. the income tax he's saving. And as you said in another post, the upfront bonus is smart for future taxation as well.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad