2024 Draft Thread - Friday June 28 and Saturday June 29 - Sphere Las Vegas

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
In terms of positional need, seems like there are more centres ranked around where the Leafs pick. Which is fine with me.

Of course I go BPA but it seems a defense man doesn’t make sense unless they trade down.

Some big centres ranked around 23 though

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
I wanted this guy from jump. Seems like almost every year the Leafs pass on a big Dman. I wanted guys like Carlo, Schneider when they were drafted. Dubas and co went with other players but Tre might be more inclined to take someone like EJ.
I was thinking, if Emery were to be our guy, maybe we should trade back and get more picks for him because a lot of scouting services have him ranked in the second round.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
In terms of positional need, seems like there are more centres ranked around where the Leafs pick. Which is fine with me.

Of course I go BPA but it seems a defense man doesn’t make sense unless they trade down.

Some big centres ranked around 23 though
Big talented 2-way centers

I'd happily take that, we need centers just as much as we need defenseman

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why? He was asked and said virtually the exact same thing last year.

It's just media talk so it's whatever, but I think a team looking at contending for the cup and making changes not having a pick in play seems rather bizarre. I think drafting is great and a great way of adding talent long-term but they should be a lot more aggressive in terms of using all their assets. So much can happen days leading up to draft weekend and already saying that they are likely keeping the pick seems like a team that isn't looking at doing anything substantial.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
One thing i like about what We Clark said today: Russian factor doesn't matter to them.

It shouldn't, we've had zero problems getting Russians over to Toronto

Same with the American kids to

Honestly there's no country we need to steer clear of, guys want and like playing for us

We have more problems getting the buggers to leave 😂

• Haha
Reactions: OddyOh

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I dropped a few bucks on Dickinson going 2nd just cuz the odds so nice (winnings from Panthers winning the cup) prob won't happen but I ain't crying over losing if there's small chance to win that much! Go Big D go!
Not happening. Try to get your money back

• Haha
Reactions: Metroid

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
How would you guys rank who should be available to us at 23 in comparison to our last 1st in Cowan.

Whoever it is there going to need to have one hell of a D+1 year to match Cowan

No matter what happens the guy we pick at #23 will be our #2 prospect with Cowan still at #1 imo

I'm not having a go at the new kid either, I really like who's being mocked to us its more a reflection of how good Cowan was last season

Reactions: Smif

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Hoping we can add a 2nd and another mid-round pick somehow. Would love to walk away with Spencer Gill and Harrison Brunicke. big RHD that can skate, shoot, and are at least half decent defensively. Gill is still growing too, listed at 6'4" now.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
How would you guys rank who should be available to us at 23 in comparison to our last 1st in Cowan.
Some very good players will be available at 23. Both d and C. We got so lucky not getting Markstrom. Cowan is a good point. Imagine we didn't get that pick? The worst pool in the NHL and no picks next year.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
What I don't understand is why anyone is saying they shouldn't be drafting for position.

Because we don't know what the team will need in a few years. Of course we know what they'll need. The exact same things they've needed the last eight years or more.

Defense and goaltending.

Why would they need any more forwards. Especially if Marner and Tavares come back. Add Cowan and Minten into the mix and this team is loaded up front.

Still got an injury prone unproven rookie goaltender and Morgan Rielly masquerading as a number one defenseman though.

Outside the first half dozen picks scouts rank prospects in tiers anyway. So there really is no "BPA" where the Leafs will be picking. That's a myth propagated to justify the Leafs strange fascination with collecting small skilled forwards.

When really they should be drafting for defense and goaltending.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Some very good players will be available at 23. Both d and C. We got so lucky not getting Markstrom. Cowan is a good point. Imagine we didn't get that pick? The worst pool in the NHL and no picks next year.
It does seem a given a solid C or D will be available to us at 23. Worst case scenario is a big, skilled winger ends up being the choice. Lots of quality between 20 and 30.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's just media talk so it's whatever, but I think a team looking at contending for the cup and making changes not having a pick in play seems rather bizarre. I think drafting is great and a great way of adding talent long-term but they should be a lot more aggressive in terms of using all their assets. So much can happen days leading up to draft weekend and already saying that they are likely keeping the pick seems like a team that isn't looking at doing anything substantial.

We've been really aggressive though, with the picks/prospects Dubas had been sending out every year, it's wild that we only have 1 post-season series win to show for it.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
What I don't understand is why anyone is saying they shouldn't be drafting for position.

Because we don't know what the team will need in a few years. Of course we know what they'll need. The exact same things they've needed the last eight years or more.

Defense and goaltending.

Why would they need any more forwards. Especially if Marner and Tavares come back. Add Cowan and Minten into the mix and this team is loaded up front.

Still got an injury prone unproven rookie goaltender and Morgan Rielly masquerading as a number one defenseman though.

Outside the first half dozen picks scouts rank prospects in tiers anyway. So there really is no "BPA" where the Leafs will be picking. That's a myth propagated to justify the Leafs strange fascination with collecting small skilled forwards.

When really they should be drafting for defense and goaltending.
They have two solid goaltending prospects in the system already. It's not the same level of need as it used to be. And we have no 2C caliber prospect in the system, nor really a top 4 D. Those are the positions to focus on.

Reactions: Kiwi and Fogelhund

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They have two solid goaltending prospects in the system already. It's not the same level of need as it used to be. And we have no 2C caliber prospect in the system, nor really a top 4 D. Those are the positions to focus on.
Fully agreed... the need is C's and D's at this point. I have no issue with taking Goalies with later round picks though. With Woll (who hopefully finds health), Hildeby and Akhtiamov looking good, the G position is less of an issue.

""

1719503116753.png

Reactions: aingefan

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It would be better to say "we'll keep all our options open".

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

I think the Russian kid is too small.

Hideby is their best shot to be the next franchise goalie. Still unproven though. With Woll being injury prone I expect the need to replace him will be sooner, much sooner, than later.

You can find a half decent 2C every offseason.

It's not a position you normally make a priority when drafting. You are correct defense should be top priority. The urgent need for not one, but two, top four defensemen, one of which is a 1RHD, is a gap not likely to be fill properly through free agency alone.

Which means the Leafs will probably draft a scoring forward with their first pick again this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad