2024 Draft Thread - Friday June 28 and Saturday June 29 - Sphere Las Vegas

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

chamchibap

Jun 15, 2018
Trying the Draftpro simulator using Bob McKenzie’s rankings and I ended up with Solberg, maybe one of the top goalie prospects in Pavel Moysevich, Pridham, and a few flyers on big D and Cs. Wouldn’t mind that at all.

Reactions: aingefan

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I know his name doesn't get mentioned a lot but i'll throw it out there because I could see him getting picked in the 1st. Misa would be a great pick but I am torn because he is on the smaller side and I'm not sure if he plays LW or C. Compared to Jesper Bratt which is nice but it would be hard to pass on some of these bigger guys in that range.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I know his name doesn't get mentioned a lot but i'll throw it out there because I could see him getting picked in the 1st. Misa would be a great pick but I am torn because he is on the smaller side and I'm not sure if he plays LW or C. Compared to Jesper Bratt which is nice but it would be hard to pass on some of these bigger guys in that range.
His bio only mentions center but he's 5'10 and 75kg so that makes me think wing but 18 year old kids get bigger

JustYourRegularGuy

Jun 27, 2024

I am not as high on Misa as you seem to be, nor do I see the Bratt comparison except the skating part, but I agree with the last part of your post.

If a guy like Greentree is still available at 23 I feel that we have to draft him, skating concerns or no. He is smart, talented, shoots well, has a massive frame, and just oozes potential if he can get his skating near NHL-average and get more incisive with his play selection.

If not him, I really like Egor Surin. Again, his skating isn't the cleanest but he is smart, talented, has a real gift for corralling even tough passes, hits like a truck, blocks shots, passes the puck well, shoots well, and I like the little details in his game. I am definitely higher on him than many.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I am not as high on Misa as you seem to be, nor do I see the Bratt comparison except the skating part, but I agree with the last part of your post.

If a guy like Greentree is still available at 23 I feel that we have to draft him, skating concerns or no. He is smart, talented, shoots well, has a massive frame, and just oozes potential if he can get his skating near NHL-average and get more incisive with his play selection.

If not him, I really like Egor Surin. Again, his skating isn't the cleanest but he is smart, talented, has a real gift for corralling even tough passes, hits like a truck, blocks shots, passes the puck well, shoots well, and I like the little details in his game. I am definitely higher on him than many.
Greentree has the potential to be a Jamie Benn or JVR style, scoring power forward. I'd like one of those on every line, tbh

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Greentree has the potential to be a Jamie Benn or JVR style, scoring power forward. I'd like one of those on every line, tbh
I will be amazed if they take a winger like this at 23. I see guys who look way better at C and D. This team isn't a Jvr away and the pick needs to play within 2 years. Tre isn't dumb, if the Leafs don't get results in 2 years he won't be here.

Last edited:

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Fully agreed... the need is C's and D's at this point. I have no issue with taking Goalies with later round picks though. With Woll (who hopefully finds health), Hildeby and Akhtiamov looking good, the G position is less of an issue.

""

View attachment 888030

This is a good draft to trade down a bit.
That mock has at least 5 guys I’d be very happy with projected after 23, and that’s just a quick scan.

I think the Russian kid is too small.

Hideby is their best shot to be the next franchise goalie. Still unproven though. With Woll being injury prone I expect the need to replace him will be sooner, much sooner, than later.

You can find a half decent 2C every offseason.

It's not a position you normally make a priority when drafting. You are correct defense should be top priority. The urgent need for not one, but two, top four defensemen, one of which is a 1RHD, is a gap not likely to be fill properly through free agency alone.

Which means the Leafs will probably draft a scoring forward with their first pick again this year.
I dunno man, how long did the team suffer without a good 1/2c punch before AM/JT?
I’d be fine almost never drafting a winger.
C and D and the odd goalie.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
This is a good draft to trade down a bit.
That mock has at least 5 guys I’d be very happy with projected after 23, and that’s just a quick scan.

I dunno man, how long did the team suffer without a good 1/2c punch before AM/JT?
I’d be fine almost never drafting a winger.
C and D and the odd goalie.

I don't have a high regard for wingers either.

And even a star goalie is cheap to trade for. I agree that if they didn't have Matthews already centre would be priority. In the team's current state I'd be good if all they drafted for the next three years was RHD.

That position has been a real soft spot for decades.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Top 5 Prospects I want the leafs to Draft (In Order)

1. Stian Solberg
2. Cole Beaudoin
3. Charlie Elick
4. Yegor Surin
5. Sacha Boisvert

Top 5 I do not want the leafs to pick;
1. Any prospect represented by Darren Ferris
2. Trevor Connelly
2. Aron Kiviharju
3. Alfons Freij
5. Tarik Parascak
6. Igor Chernyshov

Which player do I see going higher than their rankings?
- Sam O'Reilly

Which prospect do I see dropping past their current rankings?
- Berkley Catton

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't have a high regard for wingers either.

And even a star goalie is cheap to trade for. I agree that if they didn't have Matthews already centre would be priority. In the team's current state I'd be good if all they drafted for the next three years was RHD.

That position has been a real soft spot for decades.

Any D that we draft in our spot, is at least three to five years away from playing. There is nothing wrong with that of course, but keep in mind that such a player may not contribute until this group of players is on the downturn. A C, even a winger is likely to contribute sooner. A goalie... that's going to take 4-7 years post draft.

From a fan perspective, I'm good with investing in the future... management may not have the same time horizon.

Guys I'd pick at 23, in no order;

Catton, Luchanko, Solberg, Emery, Elick, Hage I wouldn't mind Beaudoin either, but I think his upside is a bit limited offensively.

Last edited:

chamchibap

Jun 15, 2018
Top 5 Prospects I want the leafs to Draft (In Order)

1. Stian Solberg
2. Cole Beaudoin
3. Charlie Elick
4. Yegor Surin
5. Sacha Boisvert

Top 5 I do not want the leafs to pick;
1. Igor Chernyshov
2. Tarik Parascak
3. Aron Kiviharju
4. Alfons Freij
5. Trevor Connelly
6. Any prospect represented by Darren Ferris

Which player do I see going higher than their rankings?
- Sam O'Reilly

Which prospect do I see dropping past their current rankings?
- Berkley Catton
What don’t you like about Chernyshov? He plays a responsible game, has great size at 6’3, skating is very good, and played in the KHL quite a bit more than MHL this year. His shot hasn’t really impressed me, but other than that most of the other attributes look good. Surin looked more physical (mostly played MHL), but I think Chernyshov’s playstyle is more advanced. Surin is quite a bit younger so he has does have some more runway.

Curious because they’re pretty similar players in my mind with Chernyshov having better size, skating, and playmaking vs Surin’s ++ aggression (which i love). Agree with the rest of your do not draft list!

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
What don’t you like about Chernyshov? He plays a responsible game, has great size at 6’3, skating is very good, and played in the KHL quite a bit more than MHL this year. His shot hasn’t really impressed me, but other than that most of the other attributes look good. Surin looked more physical (mostly played MHL), but I think Chernyshov’s playstyle is more advanced. Surin is quite a bit younger so he has does have some more runway.

Curious because they’re pretty similar players in my mind with Chernyshov having better size, skating, and playmaking vs Surin’s ++ aggression (which i love). Agree with the rest of your do not draft list!
Mainly due to our prospect depth at LW tbh, and because if they take him at 23 there will have been other guys I'd rather they select. If they take him I'll cheer for him and hope for the best.

Also, he's not #1 do-not-draft on my list, probably #5. I didn't put them in any order but I probably should have. Gonna edit my post now for clarity

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Any D that we draft in our spot, is at least three to five years away from playing. There is nothing wrong with that of course, but keep in mind that such a player may not contribute until this group of players is on the downturn. A C, even a winger is likely to contribute sooner. A goalie... that's going to take 4-7 years post draft.

From a fan perspective, I'm good with investing in the future... management may not have the same time horizon.

Guys I'd pick at 23, in no order;

Catton, Luchanko, Solberg, Emery, Elick, Hage I wouldn't mind Beaudoin either, but I think his upside is a bit limited offensively.
Catton? Lol he will be nowhere near 23. The other guys will definitely be in our range though.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Catton? Lol he will be nowhere near 23. The other guys will definitely be in our range though.
Ya.. the lowest I've seen him ranked is 15, so it does seem improbable... but then players drop... and that's why you have a list with multiple players on it... really, it's unlikely that Solberg, Hage or Luchanko are available for us either.... Maybe they drop though...

Nobody builds a list with players that are all ranked below your pick... you build a list with guys above you and around you, and maybe someone drops... and if not, you just keeping crossing names off.

chamchibap

Jun 15, 2018
Mainly due to our prospect depth at LW tbh, and because if they take him at 23 there will have been other guys I'd rather they select. If they take him I'll cheer for him and hope for the best.

Also, he's not #1 do-not-draft on my list, probably #5. I didn't put them in any order but I probably should have. Gonna edit my post now for clarity
You’re right. We do have a lot of left handed wingers.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Can anyone tell a layman like me if there are good C or D projected at our pick?

Based on rankings there aren't D projected in the 23 range ... a few are projected in the late 1st round, or now lower than 12.

Lots of centres though, particularly with some size.

Happy to grab a big centre with skill .. just don't go full Freddy Gauthier safe-pick mode.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Can anyone tell a layman like me if there are good C or D projected at our pick?
Yes, there are a few.. I posted a list of players I'd like, that are around us.. some will be gone.. unless they fall... they are all C's or D. (Catton, Luchanko, Solberg, Emery, Elick, Hage I wouldn't mind Beaudoin either, but I think his upside is a bit limited offensively.) Catton, Solberg, Hage or Luchanko are projected to be gone by our pick on some lists... some around us...

I think Sam O'Reilly is an interesting pick too... though I think I'd trade back a little to pick him up, if that was desired. It wouldn't shock me to see him have a Cowan like explosion this coming year. I really like what he did in the playoffs, and Memorial Cup, especially as a late blooming OHL rookie. He's such a good defensive player too, has real two way qualities to him.

chamchibap

Jun 15, 2018
Echoing what Bert said,
For D, you have guys like Jiricek and Solberg ranked a little higher than our pick, while Emery, Elick, Pulkkinen (all D with ++ size) are ranked around 5-10+ spots later.
For Cs, can range from Luchanko, Hage, Boisvert, Beaudoin, and even LeTourneau. Lots of options at C.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Screenshot_20240628_104949_Brave.jpg

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes