2024 Draft Thread - Friday June 28 - Sphere Las Vegas

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
What would you expect for 23rd. overall in a trade back?

Would you do 40th. and 73rd?
Few options to trade back if certain teams want to trade up. Got SJ at 33 who would probably have to give up picks 33, 42, 85 and 116 for 23 and 120. Not bad I guess but we drop out of the 1st round but it's literally the 1st pick of the 2nd round.

Got Flyers with picks 30, 51 and 77 for 23, 120 and 151. Not bad again but dropping back 7 picks.

Got Anaheim with picks 29, 58 and 68 for 23, 120 and 151.

Chicago is another if we don't mind dropping out of the 1st round. 34, 50, 67 and 72 for 23, 120 and 200

Calgary with picks 28, 64 and 106 for 23 and 151.

Montreal with 26 and 70 for 23.

these are most of the teams behind us who have picks in the 2nd/3rd round. I guess if we miss out on who we really want at 23 then all of these trades wouldn't be too bad, especially if we love someone else who might slip to the 2nd round.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
What would you expect for 23rd. overall in a trade back?

Would you do 40th. and 73rd?

PuckPedia has a Draft Pick Value calculator. If the Leafs traded with say Anahiem for their Edmonton pick, they could get back a mid-to-late 2nd rounder.
1719107157049.png

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Toronto Maple Leafs

In the last two drafts under director of amateur scouting Wes Clark, the Maple Leafs have targeted players who have a deep internal drive and an overt sense of competitiveness to go with their hockey sense. In short, they seem to be looking for players who’ve got that dawg in them. And it’s understandable: Playing in Toronto presents different challenges than most other markets. They’re also not afraid of going way off the board with their picks. So which players possess that sense of unrelenting competitiveness, could be available at 23 and should contribute to an NHL roster soon enough? — Joshua Kloke

Wheeler: I think the players who fit the intelligent-and-ultra-competitive mold with the most emphasis are centers Cole Beaudoin and Sacha Boisvert, but while there’s a chance one of them is there at No. 23, I would say each is more likely to be gone than available. Russian Igor Chernyshov and CHLers Liam Greentree, Marek Vanacker and Terik Parascak also tick some of the boxes the Leafs have drafted for in the past, without maybe ticking all of them. I could also see them liking players like Andrew Basha, Lucas Pettersson and Teddy Stiga (all of whom I also like as much or more than most), but 23 might be a little high for them.

Pronman: Cole Beaudoin, Jett Luchanko, Stian Solberg and Yegor Surin would be the players who fit that profile.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Toronto Maple Leafs

In the last two drafts under director of amateur scouting Wes Clark, the Maple Leafs have targeted players who have a deep internal drive and an overt sense of competitiveness to go with their hockey sense. In short, they seem to be looking for players who’ve got that dawg in them. And it’s understandable: Playing in Toronto presents different challenges than most other markets. They’re also not afraid of going way off the board with their picks. So which players possess that sense of unrelenting competitiveness, could be available at 23 and should contribute to an NHL roster soon enough? — Joshua Kloke

Wheeler: I think the players who fit the intelligent-and-ultra-competitive mold with the most emphasis are centers Cole Beaudoin and Sacha Boisvert, but while there’s a chance one of them is there at No. 23, I would say each is more likely to be gone than available. Russian Igor Chernyshov and CHLers Liam Greentree, Marek Vanacker and Terik Parascak also tick some of the boxes the Leafs have drafted for in the past, without maybe ticking all of them. I could also see them liking players like Andrew Basha, Lucas Pettersson and Teddy Stiga (all of whom I also like as much or more than most), but 23 might be a little high for them.

Pronman: Cole Beaudoin, Jett Luchanko, Stian Solberg and Yegor Surin would be the players who fit that profile.

I'd happily take any of those 4 players (Beaudoin Solberg Luchanko Surin)

I think Surin has the best chance of being there, I also like the fact he's a bit nuts to 😂

Greentree is interesting but another winger? Even with his size I just don't know if I could do that

weems

Jul 3, 2008

I think Surin has the best chance of being there, I also like the fact he's a bit nuts to 😂

Greentree is interesting but another winger? Even with his size I just don't know if I could do that

Surin was very chippy from the clips I watched.
I read a scouting report that compared him to a Dubinsky type player.
Sure you might not end up with a potential PPG player but strong 2nd line C's or young top 4 D's are still very valuable players.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I’m hoping jirocek falls.
I like the kid from Norway.

But I am completely guessing.
Lilly 1st for saros??? Considering markstrom

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Saros has way more value than a 34 year old Markstrom. (assuming youre not just getting saros for 1 year)

5 million for 1 year of saros
4 for markstrom x2.

Probably similar.

1st and roster player for a goalie seems like a high level according to history

Reactions: horner

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

I'm not that high on Greentree. His skating, lack of physicality, and so-so motor don't really do it for me. I don't like those JVR, gentle-giant types. If he wasn't missing both of those elements I'd be more intrigued.

Reactions: Kiwi and horner

horner

May 22, 2007
Saros has way more value than a 34 year old Markstrom. (assuming youre not just getting saros for 1 year)
Saros next contract could be scary
7 mil × 7 yrs I think.
Smal goalie relies on quickness
Didn't have a great year

5 million for 1 year of saros
4 for markstrom x2.

Probably similar.

1st and roster player for a goalie seems like a high level according to history
As long as markstrom dosnt play like 2 yrs ago

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
PuckPedia has a Draft Pick Value calculator. If the Leafs traded with say Anahiem for their Edmonton pick, they could get back a mid-to-late 2nd rounder.
View attachment 885843
Thanks.

I mentioned that a team with another team's pick was possible to get a better return.

Otherwise, their picks are 32 picks apart.

Considering the Leafs are picking 23rd., to stay in the first what might the cut-off be in most cases.

31st. and 50th. for 23rd., seems generous for moving up 8 spots in the 20's. I suppose if there was someone you really like it would be a justified price. Additionally, perhaps you perceive a drop-off after 23rd.

Now 23rd. to 15th. to me is much more dramatic, than 31st. to 23rd., and the cost ... couldn't guess.

Again, thanks for the reply.

If the Leafs see a group of players left that they believe are all equal and fit their agenda, I'd be happy to see them move back and gain additionally picks, or improve upon their existing.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Few options to trade back if certain teams want to trade up. Got SJ at 33 who would probably have to give up picks 33, 42, 85 and 116 for 23 and 120. Not bad I guess but we drop out of the 1st round but it's literally the 1st pick of the 2nd round.

Got Flyers with picks 30, 51 and 77 for 23, 120 and 151. Not bad again but dropping back 7 picks.

Got Anaheim with picks 29, 58 and 68 for 23, 120 and 151.

Chicago is another if we don't mind dropping out of the 1st round. 34, 50, 67 and 72 for 23, 120 and 200

Calgary with picks 28, 64 and 106 for 23 and 151.

Montreal with 26 and 70 for 23.

these are most of the teams behind us who have picks in the 2nd/3rd round. I guess if we miss out on who we really want at 23 then all of these trades wouldn't be too bad, especially if we love someone else who might slip to the 2nd round.

Maybe we can disregard Calgary ... until the embargo is lifted?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Thanks.

I mentioned that a team with another team's pick was possible to get a better return.

Otherwise, their picks are 32 picks apart.

Considering the Leafs are picking 23rd., to stay in the first what might the cut-off be in most cases.

31st. and 50th. for 23rd., seems generous for moving up 8 spots in the 20's. I suppose if there was someone you really like it would be a justified price. Additionally, perhaps you perceive a drop-off after 23rd.

Now 23rd. to 15th. to me is much more dramatic, than 31st. to 23rd., and the cost ... couldn't guess.

Again, thanks for the reply.

If the Leafs see a group of players left that they believe are all equal and fit their agenda, I'd be happy to see them move back and gain additionally picks, or improve upon their existing.

Throwing that one in the calculator, the Leafs would need an additional 2nd round pick at the very front end of the 2nd round (they used 36th overall as a return). So 23 + 36 according to their calcualtor to get close.

*Sorry an additional 2nd rounder + 6th round to get closer to a perfect match.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I know we don't pick again until the 4th round (pick 120) but I've been bearing down on some players that I like from rounds 2 through 5 in the hope that we can maybe acquire a second and/or a third somehow. There's lots of interesting players I'm seeing between those rounds that fit with the kind of team we want to play like.

2nd Round (0 picks)

Teddy Stiga, LW, 5’10” 176lbs (#33 McKeen’s)
USHL – 27gp 18g 20a 38pts 18pim

“Stiga moves on the ice like he got the game’s script ahead of time. When his teammates turn to pass, he’s right there, fully open in a spot. And he already knows his next play before the puck touches his stick. His prescient read of the game enables him to create beautiful give-and-go and tic-tac-toe plays”

Harrison Brunicke, RD, 6’3” 187lbs (#22 McKeen’s)
WHL – 49gp 10g 11a 21pts 47pim

“There’s not much Brunicke can’t do. In an instant, he goes from locking down the net-front to ending the cycle. He sticks to his check, communicates, and follows pokes with hits. Off the rush, he easily matches fast-moving attacks to push them wide and get the stop. If all fails, he has the speed to recover.”

Heikki Ruohonen, LC, 6’1” 196lbs (#46 McKeen’s)
U20 SM-sarja – 37gp 20g 27a 47pts 10pim

“Heikki Ruohonen is a two-way centre who drives play, pushes the pace and has some power forward qualities. He uses explosive weight shifts to beat defenders to the inside. Outworking opponents for body positioning and using contact as an advantage.”

Carson Wetsch, RW, 6’2” 201lbs (#62 McKeen’s)
WHL – 67gp 25g 25a 50pts 89pim

“Long, powerful strides and driving crossovers launch Wetsch past opponents. With a step, he takes the puck straight to the net. If not, he fires a blistering in-stride wrister. As play goes back the other way, he hunts down the puck carrier and launches them into the boards. He plays a direct, easily-appreciable style.”

3rd Round (0 Picks)

Kevin He, LW, 6’0” 183lbs (#86 McKeen’s)
OHL – 64gp 31g 22a 53pts 66pim

“An elite motor – that’s the source of He’s success. It powers every part of his game, including his non-stop forechecking presence, knack for stealing the puck at the blue line, and explosive open-ice hits. It’s also how He generates offence. He burns past defenders with powerful strides to get to the net, dropping the shoulder if necessary.”

AJ Spellacy, RW/RC, 6’3” 190lbs (#72 McKeen’s)
OHL – 67gp 21g 17a 38pts 59pim

“It only takes a couple of strides or a crossover burst for Spellacy to separate from defenders. Many of his rushes are dynamic, pressing the dot lane to get defenders moving in the wrong direction before he finds another gear to drive the net. The effort matches the speed. Spellacy easily catches opponents, even from massive disadvantages, to steal pucks off their sticks. He’s a proactive down-low defender, bolstered by his constant desire to make contact.”

Hiroki Gojsic, RW, 6’3” 198lbs (#73 McKeen’s)
WHL – 68gp 21g 29a 50pts 51pim

“A powerful winger with an NHL shot, Gojsic’s best when barrelling down the wing and launching wristers. He's constantly driving the net through defenders, challenging opponents 1-on-1, and finding space between defenders to get open for chances.”

Colton Roberts, RD, 6’4” 194lbs (#89 McKeen’s)
WHL – 62gp 7g 20a 27pts 49pim

“Roberts’ mobility is most evident on retrievals, where he easily beats opponents to the puck, takes away their space, and accelerates on reception. He’s also capable of making high-level plays on the breakout.”

Pavel Moysevich, G, 6’5” 176lbs (#66 McKeen’s)
KHL – 13gp 1.25gaa 94.2sv%

“A massive 6-foot-5 goaltender who employs a simple game plan which involves shallow depth, and short, quick routes around the crease.”

Ilya Nabokov, G, 6’1” 179lbs (#85 McKeen’s)
KHL - 43gp 2.15gaa 93.0sv%

“Nabokov doesn’t achieve success by simply filling the net. He is proactive and confident in the crease, taking away space from shooters by making explosive pushes and getting set immediately. His details on the post are strong, he has a very solid hinge to stay on angle, and he simply understands how to utilize reverse-VH in a way that works for him.”

Simon Zether, RC, 6’3” 187lbs (#92 McKeen’s)
J20 Nationell – 18gp 11g 16a 27pts 25pim

“Zether excels in small-areas. With his imposing stature, he can knock opponents away, shield the puck, and control it on the wall. In the defensive zone, he rotates well, follows his check, and puts his stick in the right lanes, denying space and plays from the opposition.”

Tory Pitner, RD, 6’1” 183lbs (#74 McKeen’s)
USHL – 50gp 8g 16a 24pts 56pim

“Pitner’s focus on honing the details of defence is visible every game. Sound positioning, perfectly timed pokes, overpowering physicality, and sneaky tie-ups make him a strong defender in every facet. Off the rush, he locks opponents to the outside by aggressively taking the middle, then slingshotting across for the stop.”

4th Round (1 pick @ 120)

Nathan Villeneuve, LC, 6’0” 183lbs (#103 McKeen’s)
OHL – 56gp 23g 27a 50pts 58pim

“Villeneuve’s a feisty, high-pace attacker with a lockdown defensive game. When he’s not throwing hits and winning battles, he’s eliminating off-puck threats and pickpocketing the puck carrier. When the puck arrives on his stick, he instantly takes the middle or starts a give-and-go to attack the zone with speed.”

Owen Allard, LC, 6’2” 201lbs (#186 McKeen’s)
OHL – 55gp 18g 26a 44pts 39pim

“A never-ending motor and physical skills power Allard. He sprints after every puck, winning the body position battle on every defender who gets in his way. Even without the puck, he creates with his willingness to battle and subtle space-creating skills. Those skills open up tip and rebound opportunities for him, and he breaks off the wall to drive the net.”

Gabriel Eliasson, LD, 6’7” 205lbs (#118 McKeen’s)
J20 Nationell – 36gp 1g 5a 6pts 103pim

“One of the youngest players in the draft. A towering defenceman with decent skating ability and an endless lust for violence.”

Herman Traff, RW, 6’3” 203lbs (#77 McKeen’s)
J20 Nationell – 26gp 13g 8a 21pts 73pim

“Träff forechecks with pace and intensity. He hits and works to get the puck back. And he takes the puck to the net every chance he gets. When in doubt, he bets on his size and strength and mobility. Not only is he already fast for a 6-foot-3 player, but he hits most of the right notes in his posture. His knees bend at the right angle and advance past his toes and his back conserves the appropriate angle with the ice.”

Kasper Pikkarainen, RW, 6’3” 198lbs (#185 McKeen’s)
TPS U20 – 34g 12g 16a 28pts 28pim

“Kasper Pikkarainen brings fire and brimstone whenever he steps on the ice. He never fails to capitalize on a good opportunity to make contact, even laying big open-ice hits from time to time. It’s not all about the physicality, though; Pikkarainen also brings plenty of craftiness as a passer, both in the offensive end and in transition.”

Kim Saarinen, G, 6’4” 181lbs (#139 McKeen’s)
Liiga – 2gp 2.46gaa 90.9sv%

“Saarinen brings a unique combination of skill and size to the table. He keeps excellent access to his edges and remains patient when the puck is passed around the zone, capable of making quick adjustments in either direction. He’s also a difficult goaltender to beat on clean shots because of his above-average tracking ability.”

5th (3 picks @ 131, 152, 157)

Ollie Josephson, F, 6’0” 181lbs (#109 McKeen’s)
WHL – 68gp 12g 35a 47pts 25pim

“Josephson is a shutdown centre who outworks the opponents he can’t outsmart. He charges back into the play, overwhelming the puck carrier with an endless barrage of lifts, swipes, grabs, and hits. His feet never stop moving, allowing him to skate through the hands and win the positioning battle.”

Javon Moore, LW, 6’4” 203lbs (#115 McKeen’s)
USHS MIN – 28gp 26g 27a 53pts 2pim

“Transitionally, Moore’s game is full of large-area handling and separation as he stretches his stride out to create power. This is a crafty player who utilizes delay elements to open room and disrupt gaps, blending slip-passing and saucer feeds through layers. He hunts for give-and-goes across his line, allowing him to drive dangerous areas of the ice with his size and find soft areas of the ice to get into a position to shoot off the pass.”

Braydon McCallum, RW, 5’10” 165lbs (Unranked)
OHL – 62gp 18g 23a 41pts 128pim

“McCallum’s tough, physical, and maybe even a little dirty. He’s a contact-seeking missile. Few players take as much punishment as he does, but no one dishes out more. The outrageous physicality drives a lot of McCallum’s offence. He creates space for himself, wins battles to free pucks, and understands when to disengage and get open for a quick shot in the slot. Off the rush, he’s always looking to cut inside and fire, too.”

Sebastian Soini, RD, 6’2” 187lbs (#159 McKeen’s)
Liiga – 6gp 0g 1a 1pts 2pim

“He’s got solid mobility and good four-step quickness, able to continuously beat forecheckers with his feet before making the first pass.”

Kieron Walton, LC, 6'5" 203lbs (#189 McKeen's)
OHL - 65gp 18g 25a 43pts 18pim

"Vision and puck skills drive Walton’s game. He’s a skilled passer, capable of slipping pucks underneath defender’s sticks to open teammates driving the net. Whether he’s deking through defenders or knocking down tricky passes, he uses his full reach to handle the puck and make the next play."

Alexander Siryatsky, LD, 6’2” 159lbs (#179 McKeen’s)
MHL – 36gp 5g 14a 19pts 18pim

“Siryatsky understands how to mitigate risk defensively. He backtracks ahead of the opposing rush and adopts a conservative positioning to avoid getting beat to the middle. He is a cerebral defender at both ends of the ice and uses this to anticipate plays, make interceptions, and/or smother chances before they can develop. His defensive play is very impressive, and his offensive creativity is beginning to really blossom.”

Ondrej Kos, LW, 6’1” 154lbs (#112 McKeen’s)
“Kos has some nice flashes. He works the boards and makes passes off of them. He can dance against opponents with his skating, too, and the explosiveness is, at times, a plus. At his best, he has a quality motor combined with a skating output that outshines his mechanics.”

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I know we don't pick again until the 4th round (pick 120) but I've been bearing down on some players that I like from rounds 2 through 5 in the hope that we can maybe acquire a second and/or a third somehow. There's lots of interesting players I'm seeing between those rounds that fit with the kind of team we want to play like.

2nd Round (0 picks)

Teddy Stiga, LW, 5’10” 176lbs (#33 McKeen’s)
USHL – 27gp 18g 20a 38pts 18pim

“Stiga moves on the ice like he got the game’s script ahead of time. When his teammates turn to pass, he’s right there, fully open in a spot. And he already knows his next play before the puck touches his stick. His prescient read of the game enables him to create beautiful give-and-go and tic-tac-toe plays”

Harrison Brunicke, RD, 6’3” 187lbs (#22 McKeen’s)
WHL – 49gp 10g 11a 21pts 47pim

“There’s not much Brunicke can’t do. In an instant, he goes from locking down the net-front to ending the cycle. He sticks to his check, communicates, and follows pokes with hits. Off the rush, he easily matches fast-moving attacks to push them wide and get the stop. If all fails, he has the speed to recover.”

Heikki Ruohonen, LC, 6’1” 196lbs (#46 McKeen’s)
U20 SM-sarja – 37gp 20g 27a 47pts 10pim

“Heikki Ruohonen is a two-way centre who drives play, pushes the pace and has some power forward qualities. He uses explosive weight shifts to beat defenders to the inside. Outworking opponents for body positioning and using contact as an advantage.”

Carson Wetsch, RW, 6’2” 201lbs (#62 McKeen’s)
WHL – 67gp 25g 25a 50pts 89pim

“Long, powerful strides and driving crossovers launch Wetsch past opponents. With a step, he takes the puck straight to the net. If not, he fires a blistering in-stride wrister. As play goes back the other way, he hunts down the puck carrier and launches them into the boards. He plays a direct, easily-appreciable style.”

3rd Round (0 Picks)

Kevin He, LW, 6’0” 183lbs (#86 McKeen’s)
OHL – 64gp 31g 22a 53pts 66pim

“An elite motor – that’s the source of He’s success. It powers every part of his game, including his non-stop forechecking presence, knack for stealing the puck at the blue line, and explosive open-ice hits. It’s also how He generates offence. He burns past defenders with powerful strides to get to the net, dropping the shoulder if necessary.”

AJ Spellacy, RW/RC, 6’3” 190lbs (#72 McKeen’s)
OHL – 67gp 21g 17a 38pts 59pim

“It only takes a couple of strides or a crossover burst for Spellacy to separate from defenders. Many of his rushes are dynamic, pressing the dot lane to get defenders moving in the wrong direction before he finds another gear to drive the net. The effort matches the speed. Spellacy easily catches opponents, even from massive disadvantages, to steal pucks off their sticks. He’s a proactive down-low defender, bolstered by his constant desire to make contact.”

Hiroki Gojsic, RW, 6’3” 198lbs (#73 McKeen’s)
WHL – 68gp 21g 29a 50pts 51pim

“A powerful winger with an NHL shot, Gojsic’s best when barrelling down the wing and launching wristers. He's constantly driving the net through defenders, challenging opponents 1-on-1, and finding space between defenders to get open for chances.”

Colton Roberts, RD, 6’4” 194lbs (#89 McKeen’s)
WHL – 62gp 7g 20a 27pts 49pim

“Roberts’ mobility is most evident on retrievals, where he easily beats opponents to the puck, takes away their space, and accelerates on reception. He’s also capable of making high-level plays on the breakout.”

Pavel Moysevich, G, 6’5” 176lbs (#66 McKeen’s)
KHL – 13gp 1.25gaa 94.2sv%

“A massive 6-foot-5 goaltender who employs a simple game plan which involves shallow depth, and short, quick routes around the crease.”

Ilya Nabokov, G, 6’1” 179lbs (#85 McKeen’s)
KHL - 43gp 2.15gaa 93.0sv%

“Nabokov doesn’t achieve success by simply filling the net. He is proactive and confident in the crease, taking away space from shooters by making explosive pushes and getting set immediately. His details on the post are strong, he has a very solid hinge to stay on angle, and he simply understands how to utilize reverse-VH in a way that works for him.”

Simon Zether, RC, 6’3” 187lbs (#92 McKeen’s)
J20 Nationell – 18gp 11g 16a 27pts 25pim

“Zether excels in small-areas. With his imposing stature, he can knock opponents away, shield the puck, and control it on the wall. In the defensive zone, he rotates well, follows his check, and puts his stick in the right lanes, denying space and plays from the opposition.”

Tory Pitner, RD, 6’1” 183lbs (#74 McKeen’s)
USHL – 50gp 8g 16a 24pts 56pim

“Pitner’s focus on honing the details of defence is visible every game. Sound positioning, perfectly timed pokes, overpowering physicality, and sneaky tie-ups make him a strong defender in every facet. Off the rush, he locks opponents to the outside by aggressively taking the middle, then slingshotting across for the stop.”

4th Round (1 pick @ 120)

Nathan Villeneuve, LC, 6’0” 183lbs (#103 McKeen’s)
OHL – 56gp 23g 27a 50pts 58pim

“Villeneuve’s a feisty, high-pace attacker with a lockdown defensive game. When he’s not throwing hits and winning battles, he’s eliminating off-puck threats and pickpocketing the puck carrier. When the puck arrives on his stick, he instantly takes the middle or starts a give-and-go to attack the zone with speed.”

Owen Allard, LC, 6’2” 201lbs (#186 McKeen’s)
OHL – 55gp 18g 26a 44pts 39pim

“A never-ending motor and physical skills power Allard. He sprints after every puck, winning the body position battle on every defender who gets in his way. Even without the puck, he creates with his willingness to battle and subtle space-creating skills. Those skills open up tip and rebound opportunities for him, and he breaks off the wall to drive the net.”

Gabriel Eliasson, LD, 6’7” 205lbs (#118 McKeen’s)
J20 Nationell – 36gp 1g 5a 6pts 103pim

“One of the youngest players in the draft. A towering defenceman with decent skating ability and an endless lust for violence.”

Herman Traff, RW, 6’3” 203lbs (#77 McKeen’s)
J20 Nationell – 26gp 13g 8a 21pts 73pim

“Träff forechecks with pace and intensity. He hits and works to get the puck back. And he takes the puck to the net every chance he gets. When in doubt, he bets on his size and strength and mobility. Not only is he already fast for a 6-foot-3 player, but he hits most of the right notes in his posture. His knees bend at the right angle and advance past his toes and his back conserves the appropriate angle with the ice.”

Kasper Pikkarainen, RW, 6’3” 198lbs (#185 McKeen’s)
TPS U20 – 34g 12g 16a 28pts 28pim

“Kasper Pikkarainen brings fire and brimstone whenever he steps on the ice. He never fails to capitalize on a good opportunity to make contact, even laying big open-ice hits from time to time. It’s not all about the physicality, though; Pikkarainen also brings plenty of craftiness as a passer, both in the offensive end and in transition.”

Kim Saarinen, G, 6’4” 181lbs (#139 McKeen’s)
Liiga – 2gp 2.46gaa 90.9sv%

“Saarinen brings a unique combination of skill and size to the table. He keeps excellent access to his edges and remains patient when the puck is passed around the zone, capable of making quick adjustments in either direction. He’s also a difficult goaltender to beat on clean shots because of his above-average tracking ability.”

5th (3 picks @ 131, 152, 157)

Ollie Josephson, F, 6’0” 181lbs (#109 McKeen’s)
WHL – 68gp 12g 35a 47pts 25pim

“Josephson is a shutdown centre who outworks the opponents he can’t outsmart. He charges back into the play, overwhelming the puck carrier with an endless barrage of lifts, swipes, grabs, and hits. His feet never stop moving, allowing him to skate through the hands and win the positioning battle.”

Javon Moore, LW, 6’4” 203lbs (#115 McKeen’s)
USHS MIN – 28gp 26g 27a 53pts 2pim

“Transitionally, Moore’s game is full of large-area handling and separation as he stretches his stride out to create power. This is a crafty player who utilizes delay elements to open room and disrupt gaps, blending slip-passing and saucer feeds through layers. He hunts for give-and-goes across his line, allowing him to drive dangerous areas of the ice with his size and find soft areas of the ice to get into a position to shoot off the pass.”

Braydon McCallum, RW, 5’10” 165lbs (Unranked)
OHL – 62gp 18g 23a 41pts 128pim

“McCallum’s tough, physical, and maybe even a little dirty. He’s a contact-seeking missile. Few players take as much punishment as he does, but no one dishes out more. The outrageous physicality drives a lot of McCallum’s offence. He creates space for himself, wins battles to free pucks, and understands when to disengage and get open for a quick shot in the slot. Off the rush, he’s always looking to cut inside and fire, too.”

Sebastian Soini, RD, 6’2” 187lbs (#159 McKeen’s)
Liiga – 6gp 0g 1a 1pts 2pim

“He’s got solid mobility and good four-step quickness, able to continuously beat forecheckers with his feet before making the first pass.”

Kieron Walton, LC, 6'5" 203lbs (#189 McKeen's)
OHL - 65gp 18g 25a 43pts 18pim

"Vision and puck skills drive Walton’s game. He’s a skilled passer, capable of slipping pucks underneath defender’s sticks to open teammates driving the net. Whether he’s deking through defenders or knocking down tricky passes, he uses his full reach to handle the puck and make the next play."

Alexander Siryatsky, LD, 6’2” 159lbs (#179 McKeen’s)
MHL – 36gp 5g 14a 19pts 18pim

“Siryatsky understands how to mitigate risk defensively. He backtracks ahead of the opposing rush and adopts a conservative positioning to avoid getting beat to the middle. He is a cerebral defender at both ends of the ice and uses this to anticipate plays, make interceptions, and/or smother chances before they can develop. His defensive play is very impressive, and his offensive creativity is beginning to really blossom.”

Ondrej Kos, LW, 6’1” 154lbs (#112 McKeen’s)
“Kos has some nice flashes. He works the boards and makes passes off of them. He can dance against opponents with his skating, too, and the explosiveness is, at times, a plus. At his best, he has a quality motor combined with a skating output that outshines his mechanics.”
If Josephson and Kos fall to the 5th round that'd be a great day. Josephson gonna be a good player at the next level imo. Could be a Plekanec type of player.

I'd add Colin Ralph as a guy who could be a good project pick in the late 3rd/4th round based on scouting reports.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Maybe we can disregard Calgary ... until the embargo is lifted?
lol yeah I wasn't gonna put them on there but you never know. If it benefits them I'm sure they'll be open to doing it but maybe Treliving should tell them to add more like they do with us if they do.

Reactions: ULF_55

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Marchenko is a guy that I would like to see them throw a 7th rounder at. Big RHD from Belarus that should be put into a stronger program asap and see if they can develop him into something.

chamchibap

Jun 15, 2018
I looked around after I started to like Elick more to try and find comparables their draft years and Shea Weber came up somehow either from a comment I saw on a vid or somewhere and reading a scouting report on Weber his draft year it sounds kind of like Elick now. Fell so low because offensive game wasn't there. Weber had 2 goals and 16 assists in 70 games his draft year. Elick has 4 goals and 23 assists in 65 games and Weber was on a much better team his draft year. Both tall at 6'3 but only weighed like 190-200 and were told they needed to bulk up to play in the NHL. Look how good Weber became. Not saying Elick will be the next Weber but he's already a good skater and good defensive player who plays physical like Weber was. Brandon has some young players and could be a decent team and Elick will most likely be the #1 guy and possibly even get PP1. Could be a lock for Canada World JR team so he'll have plenty of opportunity to grow his offensive game if that's the case.

Again though, there's so many players I'd be ok with us drafting where we are that I won't say we should only draft Elick. He was just someone who at first I didn't think we should draft reading reports/comments on here about him but then he grew on me after I got to see him play a bit.
If we draft Elick and he becomes the next Weber, I would be so happy. I’m not sure Elick’s hockey sense is showing that kind of trajectory yet, but I’m not gonna say it can’t happen with some opportunity and experience.

Based on what I’ve seen from other prospects, there are some higher quality forwards that we could draft (Luchanko, Chernyshov) that are maybe a tier above the D that project to be available (assuming Stolberg and Jiricek are taken). I like the idea of moving back if we could draft two of Emery, Elick, Pulkkinen, and Shuravin. All 6’3” or taller, skate, can defend (maybe less sonfor Pulkkinen), and could develop into something. No guarantees though. But take my opinion with a grain of salt. I think Levshunov will be a bust!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Marchenko is a guy that I would like to see them throw a 7th rounder at. Big RHD from Belarus that should be put into a stronger program asap and see if they can develop him into something.

I read up on him, he has a crazy tool kit but does need to get put into a system where he can have success.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Potential trade down scenarios based on pick values.

To Calgary
23 (16.01)
To Toronto
28 (12.50) + 62 (3.36)

To Anaheim
23 (16.01)
To Toronto
31 (10.87) + 58 (3.82) + 100 (1.24)

To Montreal
23 (16.01)
To Toronto
26 (13.77) + 78 (2.08) + 198 (0.13)